Metroid: Other M

ABMorales787

Lord And Master
Staff member
Administrator
titlescreen.png

The latest installment in the popular and controversial Metroid franchise. And by controversial, I refer to the fan-base. It's become apparent that many fans are split between the old school style of Metroid and the FPS style of the Prime trilogy. That gave way to this. And all it did was rile up more feathers. It features what in my eyes is the best translation of the old school style into a 3D world as well as a bit of the FPS style. It is probably the game's Achilles Tendon due to the rough mechanics involved and how it limited the role of the once all-mighty Missiles. However in essence, the game was made to be an old-style Metroid game. And to solidify that, the game features a ton of throughbacks to older games. More than you might expect actually.

However the game has been the subject of scorn for many Metroid fan's who preferred no cinema and all game, as opposed to this case where the cinema is a key to the game. Not to mention, that now that she, speaks, Samus is quite the chatterbox. As a matter of fact, if she's not talking to someone, she'll just talk to you. The game seems to make the once badass queen of gaming into a big of an angst-ridden character. Many people aren't happy about it. I really don't care, because quite frankly, just what the hell were you expecting? She blows up planets and kills entire species. Where you expecting a cold-blooded planet-destroying murderer? DBZ much?

As for the game itself, it can be a bit sketchy with the story and one at some points will question just what the hell is Adam doing at times. However, storyline-wise, it sets up Metroid Fusion beautifully and leaves stuff that might come in handy for a future installment. The combat system just blows the Prime games away, even with the lousy FPS. Some things, however, were changed, that I really didn't like much. For one, no more energy orbs or Missile pick-ups. You now have to "Concentrate" to replenish yourself. While this is nifty for boss fights, it comes down to luck and its a bit ridiculous that you have to be dying to use it. The ending of the game will also have many displeased. The post-story ending, not so much.

This game, essentially, has a lot of hit or miss in it. It's still a great pick up though. It has me wondering. Would an N64 Metroid game had been like this? And if so, would it get the same split reaction this one's getting? Sans the Wii-controlled FPS aspect of course. Anyway, what do you think about the game?

I personally think it's a fun game. The controlls are still taking a bit to get used to.... but I'm so glad that the series went back to gameplay resembling that of the older games. I hated the Metroid Prime games with a passion, due to the controls and the first person perspective. Metroid is just one of those series that does NOT belong in first person perspective. A lot of the fun in the old ones came from the exploration, and that kind of action needs to be done the way it was in the old ones. I like how they tried to make both sides of the argument happy, by still incorporating some first person perspective controlling.... I think the game is the best one to come out since Super Metroid because it brought back the elements of the series that made it fun in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back