**MERGED** John Cena Thread - Heel Turn, Matches, Etc. (Keep it in here!!)

Love him or Hate him?

• Love him

• Hate him

• In between

Results are only viewable after voting.
Wrestling is an artform like dancing is an artform. If wrestling was dancing, you would say Cena's not a very good dancer. To do a degree, dancing is about telling stories too, but the people dancing still have to be technically good with the dance moves they do.
Besides, I was just saying that Cena is not as good as the Rock. I wasn't starting a debate about "wrestling moves." Rock is better than Cena at move execution though.

To finish off the point, the reason Rock is better than Cena is his persona. He has mass appeal and may be the second most famous wrestler ever behind Hogan. Cena for the most part just appeals to one demographic while Rock basically appeals to everyone.

If anything is laughable, it is your attempts at looking smart, when never actually trying to debate ANY of my points. Nice try.

lol....
No i'm not going to debate your points. Clearly it wouldn't matter what I said because you are unbiasedly on the side of John Cena. I posted 4 videos, of some of the best promo work from both parties. From those you see Cena as a better mic man, while I see Rock as a better mic man. I say Rock is selling WM waaay better than Cena is, and you disagree. No matter what point I bring up your opinion will be truth to you, and therefore, completely pointless to argue.
As far as laughing at your earlier posts...yeah man.. crap was funny. Sorry.
Thats one of those things you don't debate. If a man walks up and tells you that without question he BELIEVES C.A.T spells Dog, you don't argue with that cat..he's CRAZY. You let him say what he's gonna say laugh and walk away.

You say John Cena changes every night....
I say ok. (laughs and walks away.)

Wrestling is an artform like dancing is an artform.
Yes, but the art is not in the number or type of moves you do, but rather the story you can tell, the emotions you elicit. And most importantly, the art is making people care enough about you to pay to watch you.

If wrestling was dancing, you would say Cena's not a very good dancer.
YOU wouldn't, but anyone who knows pro wrestling would.

Rock is better than Cena at move execution though.
That doesn't even make sense. What is "move execution"? What does that even mean? You do realize move execution is completely dependent upon the person who is selling for you, right?

To finish off the point, the reason Rock is better than Cena is his persona. He has mass appeal
You mean the guy who people used to chant "Die Rocky Die"? You mean the guy who got booed out of the arena against Lesnar at Summerslam?

Cena for the most part just appeals to one demographic while Rock basically appeals to everyone.
Completely false statement.

What you REALLY mean is that Cena DOESN'T appeal to one demographic, and Rock only appeals to that demographic.

First and foremost, I'm not hating Cena in this thread. It's a 'WHAT IF' thread and isn't intended to be detrimental to Cena's workout routine. But, if he at some point failed a Wellness test, would WWE give him the same treatment as R-Truth got recently? Or would WWE slide it under the carpet in a bid to protect their company image and to maximize profits???

If it were to happen, i imagine they'd carry out an injury storyline of some sort. They can't be hypocritical and give special treatment to Cena. Besides, Punk, Del Rio, Ziggler and The Miz can carry RAW if needed

I'm not sure this is the best place to post this, but regardless its Cena related.

About an hour ago Cena done a quick Q & A on Twitter. One question that was given to him was:
"@JohnCena Do you think it is time to change the @WWE Championship Title Belt? Perhaps something a little more traditional ?"
Cena replied: "yes. I have thought that for 3 years. Either classic or new. It needs a change"

So not only does the IWC want a new belt, but even the guy most associated with the current design has been sick of it for the last three years.
And yet we are still waiting for a new design, sigh.

The WWE Would have no chance but to punish him. and be vocal about it, one small leak is all it needs and the WWE is history. I honestly don't think they would be able to survive if it leaked and they did nothing but suspend him pretending it was due to an injury. He Is idolised by kids and he is the biggest thing the WWE has right now by punishing him if he did it would only help squash the rumours going around.

It's a moot point because it will never happen. Cena hits the gym hard as hell and that's how he gets his physique. It's sad nowadays that people don't think you can attain muscles naturally, instead always assuming steroids. But if you watch one of his DVDs (which I have, as a proud Cena fanboy), they go into great detail about how hard he works with the weights and such. I have no reason to not believe it given Cena's reputation and how hard he works with everything else.

But if you want to ask the question, it depends on when. If it interferes with WrestleMania, they would do nothing. If it was at a more convenient time, like the early fall or something, they would write him off with an injury. I think the only case that they ignore it completely is if it means the Rock match either doesn't happen or doesn't get the buildup it deserves. Vince likes money and he's not going to throw all that money down the toilet, regardless of whether or not it's fair or within the policy.

But again, it's not going to happen so it's not something I would ever worry about.

The WWE Would have no chance but to punish him. and be vocal about it, one small leak is all it needs and the WWE is history.

Agreed. If there was a way to keep the test results completely hidden, they might try to cover it up......but if they'd look to do that, why bother testing him at all?

No, I think if Cena was caught with a dirty test, WWE would publicize it, even turning the whole mess into a program with Cena showing repentance and begging his fans to forgive him for his faults.

Yeah, it sounds downright nauseating, doesn't it? But if anyone could take a negative and turn it into a positive, it's John Cena.

It's been quite some time since Cena wasn't treated as a heel for all intensive purposes. I blame the WWE for mismanaging the creative direction of his character. Much as they have dropped the ball IMO with John Morrison, WM 27 (other than Orton/Punk) and countless other situations, they have done the same with Cena. Everything seemed to go downhill when the "Chain Gang" went out and the "Cenation" came in. This seemed to signal the demise of all that was good about the Cena character: hilarious freestyle raps, the FU & STFU being replaced by the AA & STF and generally taking the killer instincts away from the character while still trying to push him with these boring, p*ssy ass replacements that KILLED his appeal to everyone but pre pubecent kids and teenage girls.

Just a thought that I thought I'd get you guys' opinion on. Since the WWE is obviously dead set on never making Cena a full fledged heel character, what if they made him more of a CM Punk, (f*ck everyone, I'm gonna do my own thing) character. Drop the "Cenation" and bring back the "Chain Gang" and stop the smiling and kissing babies shit and just let the rest fall into place. IMO, that would at least make the overall main event picture a little more entertaining again since we all know that he's not gonna be far from it.

What do you guys think?

The Chain Gang is a better name, yes. That doesn't mean I think he should change his character, because his character is fine the way it is. Also, Cenation is a little more PG-friendly of a name (Chain Gang sort of implies that his fans are prisoners...). But it does sound much cooler and he had a nice logo to go along with it. So sure, I'd be fine with him bringing back that name, but it doesn't mean he has to abandon the "Hustle Loyalty Respect" type stuff, which he had even then anyway.

.. Why?

Cena is doing one hell of a job playing his "never give up and rise above hate" character that's supposed to attract all those little kids. Like it or not, it is the best thing for the company since, well, i don't know if you noticed but.. WWE is PG right now. And John Cena is still their top face.

This discussion has been brought up many times. Cena's character isn't going to change anytime soon. Do I like his current character? No. Do I hate it? Again, no. But common, let's face it, if anyone can really represent what the WWE are aiming for right now it's John Cena. All the hate he gets is hilarious. And I respect the hell out of him for taking it like a man.

I did like Cena's thug character but it just wouldn't fit in with today's product. Especially if he's going to be the top face. I for one am not complaining about Cena's current character. And as long as WWE is PG, I don't want to see him trying to be his old self again because of how limited he would be and the fact that his current character is the best thing that can represent the company right now.

NOT A HATE THREAD!

John Cena is still, somewhat, at the top. But with his Mania match already set, what does he do from now until then?

Awesome Truth split, and reports are being posted about Miz getting a few WWE title matches.
Cena will probably go one on one with Miz at TLC, and that fills up some time with a small feud. OR he could get involved in the WWE title picture again and have a 3 way or 4 way at TLC involving Miz, Rio, Punk, and Cena.

Either works for me, but then what?
I dont think Rock will be back on WWE TV till after Rumble or even EC.... which is why i want Ziggler to drop the US Strap to Ryder. Ryder can find a new feud, possibly Swagger.
I say that because i would like to see Cena work with Dolph in a rivalry.

A Cena And Ziggler Feud could really use up the time, and then Cena and Rock can start their build.

What do you think is next for John Cena?

Ziggler and Miz are probably the best shots for Cena to fight against.Maybe Miz vs Cena to determine number one contender for the WWE Championship, Cena wins and at the RR, the Rock costs him the match and that sets up the match between the two.

A few days ago I was suddenly struck with this awesome John Cena heel turn idea. Ive been thinking about for days and decided to come back here to post it and get feedback/discussion on it. But then I started reading this thread and read all the ideas of tweaking/changing Cena’s character and I didn’t like any of the ideas. Then I suddenly didn’t like my own idea. Now, for the first time ever, even though I dislike the hell out of that character, for some reason I just think WWE should leave it alone. I suddenly think that they should focus on tweaking all the other characters and leave Cena’s alone. Obviously I don’t mean ‘all’ the other characters, but Cena’s character does whats its supposed to do. Like,.,..Im not a Cena fan so why was I even struck with my awesome Cena heel turn idea?

Was it because Im tired of seeing Cena on TV with his current character or was it because I think he’d simply be one awesome ass heel? Since Im not a Cena fan why was I even thinking about his character anyway? I never find myself thinking of awesome ass ways to turn Daniel Bryan or Shaemus back heel and I like them both. Maybe…WWE could be better by doing some things with other characters…maybe turn THEM heel and make them bad ass or perhaps put them in a positions against this face Cena I don’t like. If Cena has me caring about me in ANY way at all, then maybe than can do more to make me care about some of the other guys and I don’t mean only when Im watching them perform. I don’t know…I do like my idea but honestly, I miss the days where there were 7 or 8 guys on the roster who could carry a Raw or Smackdown.

Maybe Miz, Shaemus and Barrett should become the badass heels I want to see and they could leave Cena alone. Id like to see Raw and SD go back to being programs where I got thoroughly entertained by more than just 2 wrestlers. If anything, the E could make several other feuds and matchups more appealing and relevant. Get Ziggler and Bryan in a steady program or something BUILD and PROMOTE that shit…make it HUGE. Tweak THAT shit so that Im sitting around thinking about it on a random Saturday. Get Barrett and Shaemus in a program to see which country reigns supreme in the UK…make them a tag team or something ANYTHING that’s relevant, awesome and entertaining. Now that Truth is out for a while make the Miz relevant again that should be pretty easy make me think about the Miz again on a random Tuesday night! Do some shit that BUILDS around Cena…take all the weakness that I think this Cena character has build up someone to exploit those weaknesses that makes me care about someone character or a Cena program. I realize now that changing Cena’s character would be like Ford changing their best selling automobile.

It doesn’t matter if PERSONALLY hate the F150…that shit sales the most so changing it because I don’t like it is stupid. I don’t really like Cena at all..never have since he turned back but I think about him…I care about what he’s doing…I never change the channel when he’s on and I don’t even like him what the fuck is that about?!?? I don’t like the character so why don’t I go take my pisses during his segments?LOL. So maybe…just maybe…the E has it ‘right’ with Cena and I don’t even know it.

Man Roddy Piper basically said the same thing I said about Cena. He told Cena to tell his haters what he thinks. He told him that the boo's are getting louder. I have a feeling this is the beginning of a change of character for Cena. Finally he will show some agression and man up. He'll stop being a door mat panzy who panders to the kids and military. Don't get me wrong, I love the military, but Cena uses them as a crutch to try and stay a cookie cutter good guy, which I personally think is wrong.

They are probably gonna keep teasing a Cena character tweak from here until Mania. I don't even expect or need a full blown heel turn, just for him to grow a set and stop being lame. I know he can because I heard a interview he had with Howard Stern in 2006.

In that interview he seemed like a down to earth guy who wasn't a big pandering dork.

John Cena got the biggest pop out of Bret Hart, Stone Cold and tooth fairy on RAW.

Funny that Cena got loud cheers instead of boos.

He'll stop being a door mat panzy who panders to the kids and military.
This is what I don't get.

Why does he have to stop pandering to the kids and military to be an interesting character?

He can show more aggression towards his haters without abandoning his loyal fanbase, which is the direction I think (and hope) they're going with this. He's not making a full fledged heel turn, because that would cost WWE too much money and it's not necessary. BUT, if he gets angrier and focuses that anger specifically on those who have already chosen to hate him, we might have something compelling here. Not many could pull this kind of thing off, but knowing Cena's talent level, I think he can.

I'm talking about blatantly kissing the military's ass in an attempt to get a cheap pop or to get people to stop booing him. He can have his values, but he needs to stop being douchy about the way he expresses them. Yes I know that Foley made cheap pops famous, but he usually just comedically promotes the town he's in.

People also have a hard time believing Cena is being his actual self and not just promoting bullshit company manufactured generic babyface values in order to sell merchandise. I'm not doubting that Cena cares about kids and the military, but he does have an heir of phoniness about him.

The reason why people like CM Punk, because scripted or not, he speaks his mind, and you know where he stands. Cena acts like an NFL player, specifically a New England Patriot, who constantly tows the company line and never has the balls to say how he really feels.

I have been a Cena since he first debuted in 2002. I must say when he first started off he was really good and he has some really interesting matches but lately I even fast forward through him because hes so predictable. I love the guy to death though and I know he loves the WWE so much and is dedicated to that, which is why hes the posterboy of the company. I think he should go heel for a while, and return to the chaingang era when he would rep jerseys and rap on the superstars. It was funny and entertaining, also his wrestling was way better. Now he only has a moveset that only consists of 5 moves, he should incorporate more moves into his matches. I will always be a dedicated and hardcore fan of Cena but lately im starting to get annoyed at the way they are representing him. WWE needs to make up some new storylines and get better writers so not just Cena's matches but all the other wrestlers matchers will be better.

Something needs to be done with Cena.

Be it a character change or a heel turn. I don't mind if he turned into an aggressive face who remains loyal to his fan base but tells the haters off.. i see no problems with that because his haters will never cheer him so what's the point in Cena kissing their ass? and who knows, if Cena tells them how he really feels then he might get some respect.

Why the older audience likes Punk is because he speaks his mind & is not fake. Cena is fake, he's not believable & he doesn't say what's on his mind.

Like Piper said, Cena has lost his energy & ability to connect to the crowd and he NEEDS that to make it. He will be around for a long time & the boos are going to get worse unless something is done.

At this Cena is getting so boring & repetitive. He's improved in the ring but his whole character is beyond stale.

At first I wasn't a fan of Cena, but the more that The Rock was pushed down my throat by WWE, especially during Survivor Series and leading up to it, the more I became a fan of Cena. I get the feeling that the Cena-hate is more because everyone else is doing it rather than something legitimate.

I enjoy Cena, I think he's entertaining and he already is the best heel in WWE today. From Grantland:
Cena, in many ways, is already WWE's best heel. He struts unresponsive to the crowd's mood, he smirks at boos, he throttles beaten opponents and hapless managers with equal disregard.

The Cena character is absolutely over with me, all I ask from him is to return humour to his promos.

Its not just because 'everyone else is doing it.' To say that is to disreguard the hundreds of reasons in the dozens of threads on this board where people tell you why they dont like Cena's character. PLUS...this is the IWC. They always have their reasons why they dont like someone and its never because of what someone else thinks. The IWC often goes against mainstream wrestling logic/feelings anyway. People here are way to caught up in their research and rigorous over-analyzing of every aspect of pro wrestling. There is much to dislike about Cena’s character, don’t kid yourself. We all don’t like the same things. The issue I have personally is that everyone is calling for a change in the one character who get the most reaction, rather it be cheers, boos, sales, or whatever else. Meanwhile, you have all this other talent on the roster who don’t get half, sometimes not even a third of the reaction rather IT be boos, cheers, sales or whatever.

Take Del Rio for example. The IWC loves this guy, but he gets no reaction at all from the crowd or at least, very little. No matter what US arena the WWE is in, Del Rio is supposed to be this super heel who’s great in the ring but people don’t give a shit about him. The WWE cant keep the title on this guy because even with the title he cant get over. Del Rio is NOT over with the WWE universe, but yet I see no threads on how to tweak him. You’d think people would want or at least recognize that something needs to be done with Del Rio, and call for it. You’d think that people would want the E to do something to the talent around Cena to make THEM better thus making the product better. They need to ‘tweak’ a lot of these guys on the roster and they need to push/promote other guys and get them in better positions and the entire product becomes better. Tweaking Cena’s character , that’s already way more over than anyone not named Miz, Punk or Orton (and Henry is starting to get up there right now but he has his long history of sucking working against him) doesn’t help WWE at all.

Cena gets enough of a reaction and is interesting and intriguing enough that if the rest of the product is written/booked/built right, everything will be fine. Cena was the same ol Cena back when Nexus debuted. That was a GREAT program. Not because Cena was great but because the program with Nexus was refreshing and entertaining. People forgot they were tired of Cena during that program. Remember, Cena was getting booed out of buildings waaaay back when RVD faced him and won the WWE championship in the ECW arena. People were tired of his ‘5 moves of doom’ way back when he was having his first program with Edge. The reason its such a problem now is because the WWE sucks overall a lot more than it has in the past lol and Cena is taking the hit for that. CM Punk is supposed to trying to affect change when it comes to the WWE product over all and only then will the show stop sucking. Ask Punk if he thinks Cena should turn heel or be tweaked I bet you he says no. The rest of the show needs to be fixed.

Have you guys ever thought that, in a weird twisted kind of way that Cena is already a heel masquarading as a face. Cena turning heel would actually in a way be a face turn. So what if the kids and women start hating him. However, I don't think they would. Look at CM Punk. The kids and women are starting to come around and actually like and cheer him now. They even buy Punk's merchandise.

So a "heel" turn for Cena would actually be as simple as him growing a set of balls, start speaking his mind, and stop with his cheesy overacted out promos. Those promos seem so forced and awkward. Talking loud on the microphone doesn't make a promo good. If the promo sucks, then it just becomes a loud promo that sucks.

Have you guys ever thought that, in a weird twisted kind of way that Cena is already a heel masquarading as a face. Cena turning heel would actually in a way be a face turn. So what if the kids and women start hating him. However, I don't think they would. Look at CM Punk. The kids and women are starting to come around and actually like and cheer him now. They even buy Punk's merchandise.

So a "heel" turn for Cena would actually be as simple as him growing a set of balls, start speaking his mind, and stop with his cheesy overacted out promos. Those promos seem so forced and awkward. Talking loud on the microphone doesn't make a promo good. If the promo sucks, then it just becomes a loud promo that sucks.

I don't think Cena will ever turn heel because of his merchandise sales. Somehow I think they're look for an effective way to clearly establish Cena a face to the women & children and at the same time a heel to the Attitude Era fans & 17-35 male demograph. Cena can continue saluting the troops, giving his shirt and hat to the kids and continue to show support for the fanbase he has. At the same time he could address the people that boo against him by growing a set of balls, speaking his mind and taunt them at the same time. Cena could probably comeup with something like,"you're either with me, or you're against me" type deal.

Cena's character is confusing. Is he a Hip-Hop influenced paramilitary super hero? I think Cena's character should be reinvented, kind of in a way like how Bret Hart did in 97' with his Pro-Canada theme. Bret was a face to Canadian fans but a heel to American fans. Cena would be a face for women and children but a heel to Attitude/Hardcore Wrestling fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back