Mega Man Legends 3 canceled

The Doctor

Great and Devious
Staff member
Super Moderator
http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2011/07/18/a_message_from_capcom

We'd like to thank you for your ongoing loyal support of Mega Man Legends 3. Today, however, we must regrettably announce the discontinuation of this project.

From the outset the MML3 Project was intended to give gamers across the world insight and input into the development process. Part of this process includes an assessment of whether the title will go into full production, and is based on a number of criteria with input from different sectors of the company.

Unfortunately it was not felt that the Mega Man Legends 3 Project met the required criteria, and it is with regret that we must announce that the Mega Man Legends 3 Project has been cancelled, meaning that Capcom will not be releasing the Prototype or the full game. Additionally, updates of the Mega Man Legends Developer Room will cease as of today, though the North American Developer Room and its forums will remain open indefinitely.

We can only express our deepest apologies to all of you who have lent us your unending support, including participation in the Mega Man Legends 3 Developer Room. On behalf of the entire Legends team, please accept our sincere apology for failing to meet the expectations of the fans.

We thank you all so much for your extended support of this title and this community, and we hope that you will continue to support the Mega Man franchise as well as other Capcom games.

If you have any questions, please see the FAQ below.
====================
Q: Are there plans to restart the Mega Man Legends 3 Project in the future?

A: Currently there are none.

Q: I want to maintain contact with the people I met through the Devroom.

A: The Dev Room will remain open in a limited capacity, so you can PM those people now and in the future.

Q: Is there a chance the ideas recruited in the Devroom will be used in future games?

A: No, I am afraid not.

Q: Will it be okay to upload the ideas we contributed to the Devroom elsewhere?

A: Yes, you may reuse your ideas elsewhere, including those ideas that were selected as winners in Devroom events.

Q: Will the people whose ideas were supposed to go in the game receive something else instead?

A:Yes, those whose ideas were to be implemented in the game will receive a commemorative gift, which will be shipped at a later date.

Q.Can you please give me more information on why the MML3 project was cancelled so close to the launch of the Prototype?

A. The project was cancelled for the reasons outlined in the statement.

Q.Will the Prototype Version still be distributed via the Nintendo eShop?

A.No it will not.

Q.Is the cancellation of MML3 related to the departure of Inafune-san?

A. The cancellation of the MML3 project is in no way related to Inafune-san leaving the company.

Q. This is the second Mega Man game cancelled this year, what does this mean for the future of the Mega Man Franchise?

A. Mega Man is still an important franchise within Capcom’s portfolio and we will continue to pursue opportunities to create new titles in the series.

Q. The Dev Room was a place where fans were supposed to be deeply involved in the creation of this product, why were they not involved in the decision to cancel this product?

A. We thank all those who were involved in the Developer Room, but the decision to continue or cancel the MML3 ultimately had to be made by Capcom.

Q. What will happen to the ideas and input participants have given to the Dev Room?

A. Content will remain viewable on the Devroom, but will not be utilized for any future projects.

Q. Will there be any future projects that involve fan participation in this manner? Or was this a one time experiment?

A. We will certainly continue to welcome suggestions and comments from Capcom’s community on current and future titles although right now there are no projects with plans to replicate the same level of interaction.

So let me get this straight. After all the hype, all the planning, and all the excitement that we'd finally get a finale to the awesome and underappreciated series, it just gets canceled? And to make matters worse, all the awesome ideas WE, the fans, came up with and were going to see come to life are confirmed to not show up in future games?

Yes, I'm mad! I mean, I should have expected this, since Keiji Inafune (creator of Mega Man) left Capcom several months ago, but I really thought that we could at least get one more Mega Man game before the guy gets Benoit'd. Sure, they say they'll make more Mega Man games but he wasn't even in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and now two Mega Man games that had a ton of hype and promotion have been canceled, the first being Mega Man Universe.

I love the Mega Man Legends series. This is a huge blow to me, and now there's pretty much no chance of me buying a 3DS. This is the one must-have game I had my eye on and was actually going to get the system to play. Ugh.

What are your thoughts?

Funny, I was just reading about the cancellation and immediately thought of you, Doc. I had a suicide hotline number on hand just in case.

This really sucks though. I'm a big fan of the first two Legends games and this was one of the games that was really pushing me to buy a 3DS. I'll still buy the system eventually, but this is a big blow for me. I wonder what the required "criteria" was that this game apparently failed to meet. Development milestones? Fan interest? They could've at least released the prototype version to see how the game would fare in the wild before making a decision.

I'm beginning to become concerned for Mega Man. With Inafune's departure, the cancellation of Mega Man Universe and even the blue bomber's surprising exclusion from Marvel vs Capcom 3 makes me worried for the franchise's future. Can Mega Man survive without Keiji Inafune? Doubt is beginning to set it.

What really sucks is that all of the fan ideas will now go to waste, most notably the winner of that big art contest. Wonder if that person will receive any sort of compensation since his work will no longer be featured.

I hope to hear more details behind Capcom's reasoning for this decision, but this very disappointing news and a sad day for Mega Man fans.

We have an update! http://www.siliconera.com/2011/07/2...would-be-happy-to-work-on-mega-man-legends-3/
Capcom partnered with Solatorobo creator and Naruto: Ultimate Ninja developer CyberConnect2 to create Asura’s Wrath. It’s a brand new intellectual property where you play as an enraged demigod who gets beat down by planet-sized bosses before turning the fight around with a dramatic comeback.

Asura’s Wrath will be CyberConnect2′s first Capcom published title when it comes out next year. Curious to see what the future could hold and since Capcom lets external developers work on established franchises, I asked Hiroshi Matsuyama, CEO and President of CyberConnect2, what Capcom series would he like to develop.

"It would be Mega Man Legends 3," exclaimed Matsuyama in a Siliconera interview. "I really like the series!" Just this week Capcom canceled the Mega Man Legends 3 project for Nintendo 3DS where fans collaborated with the development staff on creating a sequel. Matsuyama said he was disappointed by that announcement. CyberConnect2′s work on Solatorobo and Tail Concerto could be a foundation for a Mega Man Legends sequel too. Would any fans "green light" a Mega Man Legends game from the Fukuoka based developer?

Along with the aforementioned videogames, CyberConnect2 is also responsible for the .hack series.

Personally, I'd love to see them pick up the project. Obviously I want a conclusion to the MegaMan Legends series, so anyone picking it up and completing it would be fine, but when the developer has a fairly impressive resume like CC2, I can't help but get excited. I loved the .hack games back on PS2, and seeing as the CEO of CC2 seems to be as much of a MegaMan Legends fan as anyone, I'd know the project would be in good hands. I'm sure they'd continue the fan input as well, using the contest-winning designs and ideas in the devRoom, if they were allowed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back