Maybe? Just Maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty2Hotty

Getting Noticed By Management
-TNA news on the No Surrender main event, Jarretts return and more
Posted on Aug 13 2008 @ 4:19am by Chris Johnson

The original planned main event for next month's TNA PPV No Surrender was going to be Samoa joe vs Kevin Nash. Those plans have been dropped and the new main event will now be a Fatal 4 Way for the TNA World Title featuring Samoa Joe vs 3 opponents. The first qualifier to decide the challengers will take place on next week's iMPACT! show as Booker T battles Rhino. I can confirm at this time that Booker T will indeed be in the 4 way. The other two will be either AJ Styles, Christian Cage or Kurt Angle. The source I spoke with yesterday said that the final decision on this had yet to be made but would be this week so I should have more on it soon. The idea to go with a four way was only decided just a few days ago. There were plans to possibly do an 8 man tag featuring Joe, Styles, Cage and Rhino vs Booker, Angle and Team 3D but those plans were dropped in favor of the four way.

As you most likely guessed from what happened on Sunday, Jeff Jarrett will be returning to TNA very soon. I don't know the exact time frame for his return but as I said a few weeks back it will most likely be before Bound for Glory. Right now the working idea is to do a faction wars type feud featuring Samoa Joe, Jeff Jarrett, Christian Cage, AJ Styles, Abyss and Rhino vs Booker T, Sting, Kevin Nash, Kurt Angle (He will go heel soon) and Team 3D. None of these names are final and the plans as always could change but as of now this is the working idea. Many people are comparing this to the New Blood vs Millionaires Club angle from WCW and my source did as well. He said Vince Russo has wanted to a similar angle again for a while but do it right this time. TNA is hopeful that this will be their one big angle that will catch fire and help bring up the PPV buyrates and iMPACT! ratings.

With WWE going TV PG recently there is talk of making the product a little bit more edgy in order to try and bring up the 18-34 demos. Dixie Carter is against this idea but if she can be talked into it we may see some more raunchy stuff in the near future

I pitched a stables angle a few months back.. and I pitched it to Vince Russo and TNA as well. TNA sent me a cryptic email back saying that whatever I sent them, they owned, etc.. it was an automated message that they probably sent to everyone that pitched creative ideas. That was the only time they replied.

I know Vince reads my emails - i probably email him once every 4-5 months..

I do agree that they need to step it up a notch to grab the demos that are obviously watching something else..

It is very interesting to read that Russo has been wanting to do a similar angle.. and I have stated many times that TNA needs that "Big" angle... and big angle done well. I'm not sure how this will differentiate to past faction feuds.. but this has to be done very well. I know Ru$so can do it... but i'm not sure those names mentioned for each group will be confirme.d. if so, they're pretty big names.. but they should probably get a name each group and it should be a long lasting feud

ANd the story needs to be done well.

Wait and see i guesss. I really hope this is done well.. and they should let Ru$so take the books. I should email Dixie and ask that they "take it up a notch" to attract the 18-34 demos.. teens are actually more likely to watch a more "adult-oriented" programming than a PG one too. im totally for a more adult oriented direction.

I pitched a stables angle a few months back.. and I pitched it to Vince Russo and TNA as well. TNA sent me a cryptic email back saying that whatever I sent them, they owned, etc.. it was an automated message that they probably sent to everyone that pitched creative ideas. That was the only time they replied.

I know Vince reads my emails - i probably email him once every 4-5 months..

I do agree that they need to step it up a notch to grab the demos that are obviously watching something else..

It is very interesting to read that Russo has been wanting to do a similar angle.. and I have stated many times that TNA needs that "Big" angle... and big angle done well. I'm not sure how this will differentiate to past faction feuds.. but this has to be done very well. I know Ru$so can do it... but i'm not sure those names mentioned for each group will be confirme.d. if so, they're pretty big names.. but they should probably get a name each group and it should be a long lasting feud

ANd the story needs to be done well.

Wait and see i guesss. I really hope this is done well.. and they should let Ru$so take the books. I should email Dixie and ask that they "take it up a notch" to attract the 18-34 demos.. teens are actually more likely to watch a more "adult-oriented" programming than a PG one too. im totally for a more adult oriented direction.

I have no problem in TNA doing something with factions, but as you said, it needs to be done well. There are so many problems with factions though, and in no particular order:
1) They have to both look strong or else you'll get a WWE vs WCW one sided Invasion angle.
2) They cannot have too many members, and any members that are just there to fill in space. The NWO had so many useless members, while Evolution with only four members had all members become stronger after the faction was broken up.
3) Factions need to be utilized strongly and consistently. The latest incarnation of Triple X did nothing for any of its members.
There are probably more issues involving factions that I cannot think of. TNA at this point does not really have anything going for them as far as a Big Angle, so I see no real problem doing the factions thing. I was always a fan of Big Angles (not Vince McMahon killing himself) that changed the landscape of the current product such as the NWO, McMahon-Helmsley, or the beginning of the feud between GMs Stephanie McMahon and Eric Bischoff. I have always been a fan of those angles that affect the whole roster in some way.

1) Russo can't book a cheesy angle like the inVasion angle. The NB vs millionaires is probably my favourite all time storyline, although the eyeballs at the time were with WWF.
2) I understand that the nWo black and white was all filler at one time. This is obvious and I agree... I think they need a name. As for Evolution, I think that faction was a piece of shit that did nothing for anyone. THat's my opinion though. WWE's writing is so poor
3) Yes, XXX didn't do much, but this faction angle.. I think it needs to be compelling, different, booked long term with lots of "what's going to happen" twists and turns to keep it interesting. The nWo got stale becuase the booking/writing got stale. Russo can keep things fresh, but I hope he has something in store (if TNA goes through with this)

TNA hasn't done a "huge" angle on Spike. They attemped the NWA vs SEX story to the internet crowd, with not many recognizable names. they now have a stacked roster of recognizable names and new fresh faces as well. I think Russo can do it, it depends on how far TNA will let him push the envelope. I think WWE doing PG and TNA having the possibility of pushing things further (on Spike TV - perfect) makes things interesting

McMahon/Helmsley didn't change the landscape of anything IMO. DX/Hart Foundation was memorable. Rocky's role in the Nation was memorable. Corporation/Corporate Ministry was a fun angle to watch. Yes, the nWo when it first started was amazing too.

I hate stephanie mcmahon on-screen, totally change-the-channel cringeworthy. I think she was one of the main reasons I stopped watching WWE.

As for this.... I look forward to what they have in store.. TNA has grown quite a bit in terms of creative comparing now to the time they first started in october 2005 - although they tried and struggled to keep things interesting back then.

Signed up just to post on this. :)

This sounds awesome, having the older guys being all like "we created this business, we rule this business" etc. I expect Nash to swerve on Joe, Angle to turn heel (as stated in article) and join up with Booker T, Team 3D and Sting...be surprised if Jarrett didn't turn on the face group (if he is in it originally as article states) he's one of best heels in the business. If the Mick Foley rumours are true we might even get a surprise heel role for him.

When you look at those names you have the makings of an incredibly strong group of wrestlings all time greats. If they give the faction the right name, attitude, style etc TNA could be onto big things.

Personally I like Russo, don't like gimmick matches particularly but always found him a solid writer.

Angle is already heel, what do they mean a heel turn??

Anyway, I said this was coming, every since Booker T aligned himself with Angle, 3D & Tomko a few months back. But, I think they need to change the teams. I like 3D a little but I think they should insert Beer Money, and take 3D out. And take Rhino out of the Face group, and insert Matt Morgan. Or, if ya' want it bigger. Keep Rhino, add Morgan and maybe Black Machismo, and add Beer Money to the heels, while keeping 3D. Either way, if done right, thats a big IF, I will love it so much, and I think this will ad can be TNA's "BIG" angle, to shake things up. With Mick Foley possibly heading to TNA, whatever side he's on if he is on one, would be even bigger. Imagine Mick coming out of nowhere (with no hype at all) and screwing Jarrett, or Joe. Resulting in a future Joe/Foley match, and of course, Abyss/Foley....with BFG right aroumd the corner, and Mick not having the 90 day no compete clause in his contract, we can see him fight at BFG possibly. TNA is taking a step up, and I cant wait.

While I'm not a huge TNA fan, this angle could be very interesting. Done right I think it has potential but if botched could be a disaster. Why is Jarrett with the New Blood? I thought he'd be more fit for the Millionaire's Club. Anyway, I don't think this storyline will catapult TNA to WWE status but I do think its a start.

Stable feuds aren't that frequent anymore so it is something that will differentiate TNA from the WWE which is what they need to do, rather than imitate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back