Lethal Lottery 2014: Matt Tastic(c) vs. Showtime-EurAsian Title

Status
Not open for further replies.
indypropic.jpg

The ring. A 20 foot structure of canvas and steel. The battlefield to us. The Puerto Rico Coliseum where Lethal Lottery takes place. The banners are set. The monitors are up. But the seats are empty. The ring that will hold 30 men though is not. Matt Tastic sits on it. The memory stands still in his heart. Almost like a picture. How his grandfather, the person he cares for the most, was struck down. So many emotions go by him but his face is totally expressionless. Broken. Destroyed from the trauma of seeing the ones he loves fall into unexpected danger.

I always wanted to be a wrestler. I always wanted to compete in the ring. To fight. It drove me. It satisfied me. Stepping between the ropes to prove myself and how good I am against other people. It's a give and take week in and week out. There's always that unseen respect that any issue remains exclusive to the people involved.

Orton+punt+Cena+dad.gif

But Showtime dared to break that taboo. He laid his hands on my grandfather. The man who raised me. Without him, I wouldn't be Eurasian Champion. I wouldn't have won so many championships. I would not even be a professional wrestler. He raised me. He's more a father to me than my actual one was. He was there whenever I needed him. He was the hand that held me when I learned to walk. The shoulder I leaned on when I fell. The warmth that assured me that everything would be alright when I was down. Granpa was.... And still is the one who raised me.

Matt stands up from the center of the ring, facing the monitor he slowly and pitifully walks towards the ropes and supports his seemingly depressed self on them. Shoulders on the top rope where people have to be thrown over. 29 dreams will be crushed as they fight for the World Heavyweight Championship. But Matt has more than Lethal Lottery to think about because he must also defend the Eurasian Championship. His first main event singles match. Against the most decorated man in wrestling. Who has also proven to be extremely lethal. The man who attacked his grandfather with no remorse. Claiming that did it simply because he could. “Showtime” David Cougar.

I used to think Showtime was just bitter because the people ended appreciating Barbosa more than him. But I was wrong. I thought all he needed was to vent his frustrations. It happens. We get discouraged. Get become disgruntled. We look for ways to get it out of our systems. So we turn. Instead of being patient and following rules, doing what we do in the ring for the fans, we become angry and ignore all that. We act for ourselves and disobey whatever rule we can to ensure we don't slip through the cracks into obscurity like so many do. Many people call that a “heel turn”. The person just turns evil. But I have experience with those feelings. The feelings of loss. Insecurity. Anger and frustration. It's nowhere near as simple as the carnival word that describes it makes you think it is.

Matt raises his head. The thoughts running through his head as well as he seems to empathize with Showtime, why he does what he does. Why he acts the way he acts. Matt understands it, obviously. Several months ago Matt wasn't the same chipper, whimsical guy that went around screaming fast food catchphrases with Mikey Stormrage. He was a bitter man, laughing his gut out in madness and frustration. Attacking wrestlers that he believed weren't taking this profession seriously and even stealing championships and conning people. The shoe is on the other foot now. As that has become Showtime's agenda. But armed with far more resources, he has drowned in the madness of his own anger and bitterness. Matt was pulled out by Mikey Stormrage. But it won't be so easy with Showtime.

I'll fight Showtime with no intention to show him the same kindness Mikey showed me. Things are different. This isn't just a frustrated man who's alone in the dark. This is a man who's let his power and status grab hold of him and drive his conscience. He's certainly not alone. The most successful man in wrestling. Aided by the richest and politically powerful men there are. There's no evil he can't get away with now and he clearly gave me a mere taste at Meltdown. Such a sad, broken world. Where only those with power seem to gain success. No matter the lives they destroy. Day after day, plane fall out of the sky like injured birds. Lives are lost and fouls are cried. But in the end, what can we do to stop these powerful and bitter men? Spread the disease. Become just as bitter and powerful. At least I used to think that.

Backstage after All or Nothing 2014 said:
We flash back to the night Matt Tastic won the Eurasian Championship. He sits on a bench looking his newly won championship. He can barely believe it. As he does, Mikey Stormrage, the man he just beat comes over to him. Matt stands up feeling uneasy despite the two shaking hands in the ring.

Mikey: Hey, I didn't say it out there so I'll say it here. Congrats on the win. Good job.

Matt staggers a bit from the words. The friendliness is just too shaky for him to grasp. Mikey extends his hand yet again with a large smile decorating his face.

Matt: ….I.... I honestly don't get it. Mikey, when we first faced off, I cut you off when you were saying goodbye to your best friend. I attacked you, insulted you and belittled your friendship. Why the hell did you not attack me? That's what I would've done. That's what anyone would've done. Why didn't you?

Mikey scratches his head, thinking things over before giving an answer. He can't seem to figure out how to put his words together and explain it as Matt stands confused.

Mikey: Well.... Ugh.... I.... You see...... I don't know. I guess that after always being angry and all emo and stuff I just sat down that night after it happened and said “why get mad?”. I mean seriously, it's wrestling. Since when do Pay-Per-View matches not get set up by people attacking and insulting one another?

Matt:…. Umm.... Actually that's why I did it in the first place.

Mikey: You jerk!

Matt: Sorry! But hey, I wanted a title match. And I.... seriously thought you were being all melodramatic.

Mikey: So you trash my party and insult me and BF4L?

Matt:Your what?!

Mikey: My best friend for life, Matt Tastic! All for that belt? What? Do your pants not fit?

Matt: No, you dolt! This title represents a monetary boost! It commands more status in this company and it makes people see what level of performer I am! That's why I wanted it.

Mikey: Greedy jerk.

Matt: Drama queen.

Mikey: Otaku!

Matt: Geek!

Mikey: Farmboy!

Matt: Fatass!!

*GASP*

Matt crosses the line as sudden silence sweeps the scene. Mikey grits his teeth as Matt is on the defensive. No one makes a move adding to the sudden drama of the situation.

Granpa: Boys, would you relax?

Both men break the tension and let the air out as they turn to spot Granpa Tastic.

Granpa: Drop the silliness. Match is over. No need to be so angry. What do you say we go to Taco Bell for dinner?

Matt: Granpa, we aren't kids. What the-

Mikey: YES!! LIVE MAS!

Matt looks at his former adversary with a dull look but the silence is quickly shattered once again. This time by the sounds of a rumbling stomach.

Matt:…...................*grumble grumble* …...Yeah. LIVE MAS!

And so a friendship forged. And a catchphrase was coined. Mikey never festered any hatred towards Matt Tastic. Instead the two simply put it aside and marched on. The anger receded and Matt had no reason to be mad anymore.

Returning to the ring Matt steps back and stumbles to the canvas. The title which was hidden under his shirt pops up and Matt grabs it. He looks at it remembering how he obtained it in the first place. He looks at it before small smile creeps into his face. The feelings of anguish from Showtimes actions at Meltdown are replaced with the feelings of joy. And slight discomfort due to so much burritos.

Haha. It's becoming so hard for me to stay mad.

Maybe there is a way for those who stand so tall armed with power and free of consequence to be purified. Maybe there is a way to cut the chains that make people do the terrible things they do. So many say equality is the answer. But they're wrong. Matt continues his nostalgia trip in the ring as he pulls another familiar object from his pocket. His mask. Known as “The Killjoy” Baez from his debut, he sported the mask in his first year in WZCW. The “why” will come soon enough. But through that mask, Matt learned that besides forgiveness, understanding is also important to have in mind. It's been over 4 years in this profession and many faces make their way in and out of WZCW. One of the most influential to Matt's career in a way pushed Matt down his first “heel turn”. Frustrated when Gordito, who fail to beat him for the Mayhem title once, went from there to the main event scene while Matt wasn't even given consideration. Matt, then Baez, turned on his ally and brutally beat him culminating in a Mayhem Rules match at Redemption 2011 and injuring Gordito. What followed though was something Matt wasn't expecting.

A Hospital said:
Baez walks the hallway of the hospital where Gordito was checked in. Not too pleased, as he was ordered to apologize for his actions.

Baez: Where the hell? Hey! Where's Gordito hiding at? I've got stuff to do!

After a lot of aggravation and nagging, he's led to the room of his now former adversary. He stands across from Gordito as he lays on his bed watching TV. Baez' face cannot be seen so his own expression remains a mystery.

Gordito: Ah, great. Now what do you want?

Baez:Well, to say I'm sorry. Do you forgive me? Please do. So I can sleep snug and sound at night with a clean conscience.

Gordito: No.

Baez: Oh well. Guess I'll buy Niquil then. Bye.

Gordito: Wait a minute. Get back here.

Baez returns to the room like a scolded child. Humping his shoulders and moaning in complaint.

Baez: What? I'm sorry. For reals now. I guess I did get outta hand.

Gordito: Did management put you up to this?

Baez: Umm.... Yeah? Why?

Gordito: Should've guessed. I'm not gonna forgive you any time soon, man. Look where I'm at. On a bed with bandages with a TV and nothing good on. I can't have my cheap beer because of you. All because you got jealous.

Baez: Well, you stepped over me. What was I supposed to do? Clap and keep the anger to myself?

Gordito: I didn't ask to be put in the Gold Rush Tournament. I simply was put there. You weren't in it wasn't my fault. So why you got mad at me is a good question right now. You never talked to me about it. You simply attacked me.

Baez: Um... Well... Ugh. Guess I did screw up. Tch, listen I really mean it, I'm sorry.

Gordito: Well, I'm not. I get it man. You're frustrated. I would be too. And I don't hold a grudge for it. It is part of the business. We get hurt. We move on. But it wasn't me that overlooked you. That was all management decision. They're who you should've thrown your spat at.

Baez: You're better they said.

Gordito: Well you proved them wrong now. You beat me. With excessive force, but you still did. Like I said, I get it, Baez. That's what this business is about. I'm not gonna accept your apology, but I at least want you to know that I get it. I'm not mad.

Baez: Alright. Thanks then. I'll be off.

Gordito: To do what?

Baez: Since I started in WZCW, I've heard this silly discussion go around so many times. Red Mask vs Baez. Then all that stirs into the same conclusion.

Gordito: What is it?

Baez: Red Mask is better. I think they're wrong.

Gordito: Just don't hurt anyone.

Baez: No promises.

Baez leaves as the memory fades. Baez would eventually face Red Mask. Causing unneeded damage, but at least no one was hurt. Gordito knew Baez wasn't pleased with the lack of confidence the company had in him and knew the only way for it to soothe was for Baez to make an impact of some kind. After all it's how the business works. Money would not be made otherwise.

Returning to real time, Matt Tastic now walks up the aisle. In a few days, that will be the same aisle he'll walk to face Showtime and then enter Lethal Lottery. With the memories of past moments in his career crossing his mind along with Showtime's attack on his grandfather, Matt now wonders if he should actually put the animosity aside. If he should even extend his hand. He is the one who caused all of this after all. Matt Tastic did challenge Showtime head on by turning down the offer to join The Elite. As fake of an offer as it was. It seems to be a pattern for him to antagonize. Even when he's not a “heel”. He did it to Gordito. He did it to Mikey Stormrage. He did it Showtime. He also did it to Titus when the Red Mask vs Baez rumors swirled. The results were quite surprising as Titus ended up in possession of Baez' contract. But rather than gain revenge for all the bothersome antics Baez put him through, Titus simply dropped the contract and moved on. In his shock, Baez took his mask off and gave it to Titus as a trophy for his mercy. Baez, now Matt Tastic realized he let his actions put him in a vulnerable position and recognized how fortunate he was.

Taking this thing off was the best thing to happen to me. I became human. Normal. People could now see the emotions that ran through me. Happiness. Sadness. Anger. Joy. It was all out for the world to see.

Matt!

The voice of Leon Kensworth echoes through the empty arena which catches Matt attention.

What?

Outside! You should go see.

See what?

Just come. It's huge.

Satisfied by what he heard, Matt keeps his trek up the ramp carrying the mask and the Eurasian Championship. The meditation in the ring did him well as his thoughts cleared up.

What is it, Leon?

Huge!

Huge what?

Just-just. Why didn't you say anything?

What the hell are you talking about?

Oh, before I forget. I have a few questions.

OK. Go ahead.

This is your home. How do you feel about facing Showtime here in this building?

Well, Leon. Up until five minutes ago, I felt like I had to come here and rip Showtime limb by limb. To make him pay for what he did. It was just unacceptable to me how he attacked Granpa. But thinking about it.... This profession is built by so much hatred and animosity. We make our living by belittling others and boasting about ourselves. Week in and week out we beat on each other 'till we're hospitalized. It got me to think and realize, I just cannot get mad.

What?

I can't get mad at Showtime for what he did. Yes, he attacked my grandfather. Yes, he tried to use me. Yes, he's done so many harsh things. But the reality of it all is that it's what we signed up for. And if we set foot in WZCW, you have to expect it. Granpa is out of the hospital, he's made a full recovery, so I'm fine too. I am focused 100% on my matches at Lethal Lottery. Both of them.

So you feel you can win Lethal Lottery too?

I wasn't there last year due to injury. But I am now. So I'm gonna go out there and do my best. It'll be my first shot at the World Heavyweight Championship and who knows. Showtime wants to be dual champion. Maybe I'll end up doing it. And would feel very good to do it in the place where it all started for me.

What do you mean by that?

This is the arena where I had my WZCW try-out, Leon.

January 2010 said:
The same arena. The same ring. Several men are seen wresting in that ring with Vance Bateman and Chuck Myles looking on intrigued by the competitors with Granpa talking to them. One stands out from the pack though. Clearly Matt Tastic, but he doesn't go by that name yet. Myles and Bateman wave him over as the future champion steps out.

Myles: Soooo..... Mr. Morales. Serg here has put in a good word for you. And I think you're good enough.

Bateman:But we'll have to do something about your name. And your face. What happened to your face anyway? That's a pretty nasty scar.

Tastic: Ummm..... Cockfighting.

Bateman: I...... Don't know how to react to that. Here. I have this halloween mask lying around. Try it.

The future Matt puts it on, but then takes it off again. He rips up the scalp area and puts it back on letting his hair loose.

Tastic: Perfect.

Myles: Great. Now you just need a ring name.

Tastic: I got it. My other surname. Baez.

Bateman: That'll do, boy. That'll do.

So that's how you got hired and your ring name?

Yup.

Tastic and Leon stand by the exit door, ready to walk out as they finish speaking. The each push a side of the door open and emerge to the bright tropical sky of Matt home country. But what he see's he wasn't expecting. A sea of people stand. Weeks before the big show. He gets slapped by a woman.

You never call! And I heard you were in jail!! How did my son end up a delinquent?

Mom?

Matt is hugged by his mother as his cheek beats red from the slap. Granpa approaches him and puts a party hat on Matt's head.

'Mijo, the day is almost here for you to finally reach your goals. I'm so proud of the man you've become. All the lessons you've learned and all the accomplishments you've had. But right now, I think it's time to celebrate a special day. Where's Mikey anyway?

He's at a friend's wedding. He's the best man. Wait, what day do you mean?

Suddenly, the sea of people begin to sing in unison as a large cake surfs through them.

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

FELIZ, FELIZ EN TU DIA, AMIGUITO QUE DIOS TE BENDIGA, QUE REINE LA PAZ EN TU DIA Y QUE CUMPLAS MUCHOS MAS!”

'Mijo, please know that no matter what, we all appreciate you. What you do and how much you devote yourself to it. I'm proud. We are all proud. Never forget that.

Thanks. Everyone. Damn. Thanks a lot. I had totally forgotten with all that's going on. But I won't celebrate. At least not until I walk out of Lethal Lottery. Not until I see what destiny has set for me. But no matter what. No matter how, I can't let the hatred pro wrestling brings consume me once again like it's done to Showtime. I don't know how. But I'll find a way to both win and end things without further animosity. Maybe winning the World Heavyweight Championship will be the answer. Maybe by defeating those 29 other wrestlers and standing on top with a happy smile on my face and all my friends and family surrounding me, I can prove that wrestling isn't just human cockfighting. Maybe. Just.... Maybe.

Matt looks on and hugs his grandfather as the memories of his career pass by his mind. The scene fades to black. Before something starts up.

[youtube]rJgUdza8deM[/youtube]

Matt has major obstacles to overcome. The battle will be hard. But the triumph will be sweet. This is what it's all led to. In front of his peers, his friends, his family. His home. Can Matt retain the Eurasian Championship? Could he win Lethal Lottery and the World Heavyweight Championship?

A many thanks to all those that have supposed me over the years. I sincerely appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back