Lakers: Post Phil Jackson

Big Sexy

Deadly Rap Cannibal
The Los Angeles Lakers have hired Mike Brown as their head coach. Brown was very successful in Cleveland. He made the playoffs with a winning record all 5 seasons he was there including a trip to the NBA Finals in his second year. He won at least 50 games 4 times and at least 60 twice. A lot of people only attribute the success to LeBron but Mike Brown is a defensive coach and he immediately made the Cavs a better defensive team. Brown has been an assistant under Greg Popovich and Rick Carlisle so he has coached under some great basketball minds.

Now I like Mike Brown as the coach (though I personally would have hired Brian Shaw) but what I think doesn't matter in the big picture. What matters is how Kobe feels and there are a lot of people out there who believe Kobe is unhappy with the hire. There were tons of great candidates out there including Brian Shaw, Jeff Van Gundy, Rick Adelman, and Marc Jackson so they had a lot of options and many believe Kobe should have been consulted.

The last time Phil Jackson retired from the Lakers, things didn't go very well. The Lakers finished 34-48 and missed the playoffs for the first time since 1994. This Lakers team is much more talented then the one Phil left last time but concerns still remain.

So I ask you, what do you think of the hire of Mike Brown? Who would you have hired? What do you think of the Lakers future post Phil Jackson?

The Lakers are a good team still, but have some issues ahead. First, how will Brown do with Kobe? While I don't think Kobe should be the one who chooses who the coach should be, he should be consulted. Its extremely important that a head coach and his superstar are on the same page. What if Kobe doesn't like Brown? Then there could be problems ahead.

Then there is the roster. They are in desperate need of a PG, as has been the case now for a couple of seasons. I don't believe Brown (Shannon) is the answer. Then there's Gasol and Bynum. A lot of people feel that one of these 2 guys has to go. From what I've heard, if someone does leave, its Gasol. Buss loves him some Bynum so don't expect him to go anywhere. A lot of issues that have to be adressed this offseason.

The Lakers success will depend on who is running the team: Mike Brown or Kobe Bryant. It's hard to believe the team hired Brown if Kobe didn't approve of him, as has been reported.....but if it's so, look out below.

Is Mike Brown a good coach? It's hard to tell when the coach has had a team with a mega-star (LeBron).....and is now moving to a team with another one. But then, look at the players Phil Jackson had in Chicago and Los Angeles. Who knows how good he would have been without them? Even he admitted he's only been as good as the players he's coached.

Then, again, a lot of folks must have wondered how good Pat Riley would be when he left Abdul-Jabbar and Magic and went to the Knicks.....but he sure showed 'em, didn't he? The guy really proved himself.

It remains to be seen with Mike Brown; it all comes down to how Kobe feels about it.....and when a player is more important than the team, it could wind up being a real circus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back