• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jerry Angelo gone: Welcome Phil Emery as Bears GM.

GI Cake

Thank God For Sodamy.
As of today, Phil Emery, the former director of College scouting for the Kansas City Chiefs is now the General Manager of the Chicago Bears, replacing Jerry Angelo and being the 5th General Manager in Chicago Bears history. Phil Emery is highly regarded in drafting and measuring college players. He has been noted for drafting players like Dwayne Bowie, and Jamal Charles. But Emery is no stranger to Chicago. His first stint with Chicago as a scout promised former pro bowlers Tommie Harris, Nathan Vasher, Marty Booker, and Mike Brown. Than when he was hired in Atlanta for college scouting he helped acquire Franchise Quarterback Matt Ryan, and Pro Bowl Wide out, Roddy White. This will be Phil Emery's first job as General Manager.

Personally I think this is a great move for Chicago. The weakest link for Chicago has always been drafting younger talent to replace veterans. Thanks to Angelo's lack of drafting ability, the Offensive Line was left in shambles and the Defensive rotation is not getting any younger. With a guru of college scouting as GM, Chicago should be getting plenty of young talent to help push Chicago back into competition against thriving NFC North rivals like the Detroit Lions, and more notoriously, The Green Bay Packers.

My questions to you:

Does Phil Emery make a better fit in Chicago than Jerry Angelo?

What kind of impact will Emery make for Chicago, for better or for worse?

He fits better than Angelo, but that isn't saying much. Can Emery really build around Cutler? Certainly possible. The guy just needs the balls and the smarts to make certain moves. It's obvious the team is getting older on defense, there is no #1 receiver currently, Cutler needs an offensive line to protect him, and some changes to the secondary may need to happen. The question is, will he work in the right direction with this? They need to give Cutler another target besides Forte and Bennett.

He should be a solid upgrade and point the team in an even better direction. The main things he needs to worry about this offseason is a WR, TE, DE, and I'll add a CB/FS/SS to boot. If he can draft or add via free agency at least two of those positions then I will be happy with this offseason. Preferably at the WR and TE spots, but any of the four will work. Draft boards are predicting they take the center from Wisconsin, which wouldn't be bad as they can move Garza back to guard.

Time is the only thing that will tell. He has helped draft some good players (Urlacher, Briggs, Matt Ryan, Roddy White) so we will see. If he isn't an idiot like Angelo then that is all I ask for. Draft well and be smart in free agency.

I would take the Mad Hatter over Angelo. How is it that you bring in what could be a great QB and not protect him or give him anyone to throw to? I'm not saying we didn't get some good people along the way, but we definitely could've done better. Not to mention some more consistency. The one thing I've been forced to get used to as a Bears fan is one really good year sandwiched by a few crappy ones. Maybe some better drafts and FA pickups will at least make us consistantly better.

Another issue that has arisen in the lack of pickups recently is now our defense is aging as well, so that will have to be repaired as we build up the other holes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back