Kofi Kingston.... as a heel?

Magic Mark

Former WCW TV Champion
I have seen a lot of people that want Kingston to turn heel. This comes as a bit of a surprise to me because I think he is pretty good as a face. He gets good reactions, puts on good, if not great matches, and has a high-flying move set, so how could he possibly be a heel? Let alone a believable heel? I just don't see it happening, mainly because of the whole "Good guy Jamaican" gimmick he had in ECW. But I don't know, maybe he can become a more aggressive person. Maybe he can be a much more serious tweener and utilize a much more submission-style arsenal of moves. But hey, i'm spit balling here, tell me what YOU would do with Kingston? Or would you just keep him as a face?

Kofi Kingston is that kind of a talent which is face for life. Of course, he can add a bit of aggression. I still remember his mini feud with Orton.

He doesn't need to turn. In fact he should not turn. Just tweak his character, add a bit of aggression, and I think it could do wonders. And for once, stop giving him midcard titles for the sake of it. Do something more with those titles.

Kofi has potential. Let's see if it gets him anywhere further than where he is now.

To me the problem with Kofi Kingston isn't whether he is heel or face (but for the record, he should stay a face). The guy seems to be fairly well-liked by the fans, so he has a glimmer of charisma. The problem is that, for someone who is billed as being an "exicting, high-octane high-flyer", his in-ring work is neither exciting or high-flying.

I mean, can he moonsault? Can he do a hurricanrana? Bro, does he even luchador?

And what's his best top rope high spot? A body splash? That might have been an impressive high spot when Ricky Steamboat was doing it, but now that we've been exposed to Japanese wrestling and lucha libre wrestling, those kid of high spots just don't cut it.

He's not so small that he couldn't sell as a technical worker, so maybe if he went more scientific he might be more enjoyable to watch in the ring.

I mean, can he moonsault? Can he do a hurricanrana? Bro, does he even luchador?

I honestly don't remember a time when Kofi did do a moonsault! But he is fun to watch. He doesn't botch very often and many people backstage think he's one of the best workers around.

First off, I like Kingston. I like the character, I like the fact he's reliable, and I think he's got a good distinctive look. His personality as a character could use some development...and was on the cusp of getting some when he feuded with Orton, but we all know how that went. I think his push was ended far too soon, but I digress.

That being said, there are a few reasons why I don't think he should go heel. First off, and this may sound weird coming from a guy who often roots for the smaller wrestlers, is that he's a bit small to be a believably dominant heel. Nobody is going to be able to suspend their disbelief enough to swallow him charging out and brutally beating down a face Big Show...or even a face Dolph Ziggler. At least, not without the help of some weaponry or excessively dirty tactics (such as the low-blow etc.) and much of the current environment of the WWE is stacked against that sort of thing.

He could be a "chickenshit" heel, but even then it would likely bury him more than he already has been. Perhaps if he first went heel as a member of a group (have the Wyatts or the Shield pick him up as a new recruit) then it might work, but even then it's not as if it'd do anything good for him. He'd just be another body and far from the main one.

As a face, he has an advantage in that he's expected to be the underdog, chasing titles rather than necessarily getting them. I think the WWE has already made it clear that they keep him around to be a transitional mid-card champion when they need one or to be fed to an up-and-coming heel. That's pretty much it. It's become his job description. If he's happy pulling a paycheck for that, more power to him.

Reactions: GCB
I've always been a fan of Kofi Kingston & considering the role he plays for the company as a reliable, mid-card, babyface I can't say that I'd do much different with him if I was the WWE.

But my problem with the Kofi Kingston gimmick is that I feel that it hasn't really changed or evolved practically the entire time he has been on WWE television. Besides his recent feud with Dean Ambrose (that I'll honestly admit I probably enjoyed so much mainly because of Ambrose, that's not to say that Kofi wasn't a great opponent for him) what has Kofi really done in his entire career, let alone since the short-lived feud with Orton? Which most people seem to view as his peak, which I find ironic since it was the one segment with Orton going through the table that was really memorable, not the matches they had & also that was the only time he acted anything close to a bad guy but yet he has only ever been a cheerful good guy.

Unless WWE made a MAJOR move with Kofi & gave him a MAJOR push (which I never really see happening) I just don't really see myself ever caring about the character again. Kofi always puts on great matches & has had some amazing spots in The Rumble & some MitB matches, but as far as a character I really want to see every week on the main programs & want to see in big matches on the PPV's, the Kofi Kingston that we've gotten for the last several years isn't that character.

Who knows? Maybe a big heel turn could be his saving grace, but I won't hold by breathe.

It is a very difficult situation for Kofi and the WWE. He is over as a face and his move-set is tailor made for him to continue; however, the face/heel divide in the WWE is imbalance. The quality of face: Cena, Punk, Bryan, Orton, Sheamus, Ziggler, The Miz, RVD, Kane, Y2J (HHH, Taker, The Rock) is far far superior to the heels. Indeed, Kofi as a face can only achieve so much. It is very unlikely that he will be above any of those listed even though I think he suits being face much more than he would heel.

If he turned heel it opens doors for him; he can now feud with guys he had never previously and with a new gimmick, he may be a huge star. Ultimately, I think he would be a mid-carder as heel or face but his popularity with the fans suggests he should remain a face.

Kingston as a heel COULD work, but it needs careful planning. The best time for a heel turn will probably be when he returns, where he could establish himself as a upper mid-card heel by coming out to save a babyface from somebody like Ryback then turning on the babyface. They could also overhaul his gimmick slightly into a more dark persona from his happy, optimistic face that he had before he was injured.

It's worth a chance to dip Kofi in the heel waters, as he's lost a lot of relevancy by simply winning mid-card titles for no reason and staying with the same gimmick for nearly his entire career (the country change does not count). He's a great in-ring talent and it'll be nice to experiment with a heel turn on him.

I certainly can see a Kofi heel turn working, he show a lot of intensity during that promo where he smashed Randy Orton's car. I would say it wouldn't happen in the past because of WWE's severe lack of faces but it actually look like it might happen now with the recent face turns of both Cody and Ziggler.

I've never really thought Kofi needed to turn heel, but just change his character a little. A bit more aggression like he was with the Orton feud. But then again a heel turn would be interesting, I'd like to see how WWE would go about it. Who he would feud with, how his heel turn would happen etc.

I don't think WWE would turn him heel though. He gets a good reaction and he probably sells merch.

I don't see him ass a heel, but I can see him adding more aggression to his game. He started pulling trouble in Paradise out of ridiculous spots including hitting it from behind an opponent. his move set isn't designed for Heel work.. trouble in paradise and S.O.S. are incredibly athletic moves that get the crowd out of their seats, he also has a lot of springboards and jumping moves. Kofi could benefit from some Ruthless Aggression, but I'm not too sure about his heel potential.

He shows a glimpse of aggression each year or so, maybe if they have him be a guy who always fights even getting destroyed would work. I cant see Kofi being a heel some more attitude and new entrance music be good for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back