Kevin Owens Has Arrived

Great match, HORRIBLE decision to have Owens go over clean. The rookie should always look great against the veteran, but never beat them. Remember when John Cena debuted and beat Kurt Angle? No, because he put up a great fight and LOST. Remember when CM Punk made Undertaker tap out in his debut? Or when Daniel Bryan pinned Triple H in his first match? No, because they DIDN'T HAPPEN. Last night permanently and irrevocably damaged John Cena's drawing power, and that of the entire WWE roster, because they just straight up said that any random guy can come up from NXT and instantly be completely superior to any top WWE star.

Yeah, because Brock Lesnar never went over people in his rookie year, oh wait. True but Kurt Angle never, oh wait. Seamus, ahh yeah, another. It's not like this is anything new man.

Yeah, because Brock Lesnar never went over people in his rookie year, oh wait. True but Kurt Angle never, oh wait. Seamus, ahh yeah, another. It's not like this is anything new man.

None of those guys beat the TOP STAR in the company in their DEBUT MATCH. You're comparing apples and oranges.

Great match, HORRIBLE decision to have Owens go over clean. The rookie should always look great against the veteran, but never beat them. Remember when John Cena debuted and beat Kurt Angle? No, because he put up a great fight and LOST. Remember when CM Punk made Undertaker tap out in his debut? Or when Daniel Bryan pinned Triple H in his first match? No, because they DIDN'T HAPPEN.
But this is ignoring that the point of the build of the match was for KO to show that he is not just some "rookie". His point was that he has been dominating in less visible places for years and has always felt that he was equal to anyone, but just hadn't gotten the opportunity to show it on the national stage, and this was his chance to show that he was every bit as good as anyone who happened to get their WWE break before him.

There's a difference between "rookie" and dominant established newcomer.

Last night permanently and irrevocably damaged John Cena's drawing power, and that of the entire WWE roster, because they just straight up said that any random guy can come up from NXT and instantly be completely superior to any top WWE star.
But again, the point is to illustrate that Owens is not "any random guy from NXT". He is a different animal entirely. He is NXT champion. He has defeated all of the other guys who have built in huge pedigrees and have been built as singles main eventers for that promotion. He has beaten Zayn, he's beaten Balor, he's beaten Neville, he's beaten Itami; and he's beaten them all cleanly and convincingly for the most part, often times physically decimating them.

And prior to joining WWE he was THE GUY on the independent scene, bringing in a huge fanbase already, as before joining he captured the imagination of the beyond-WWE-Universe wrestling fan more than any independent act since(and perhaps even more than) Daniel Bryan.

The whole point of this push is to present Kevin as something altogether different from even the top NXT newcomers. And present him instantly as a killer who can hang with, and even defeat, anyone- even main roster main eventers; hell, even the face of the company.

Great match, HORRIBLE decision to have Owens go over clean. The rookie should always look great against the veteran, but never beat them.

You haven't been listening or hearing what other's are saying. Owens is not a rookie, he is a former ROH champion and been in the business for over 15 years. When he came to the WWE he brought a cult following with him. The guy is awesome and will be a top heel for years to come. Like Cena, he is passionate about what he does and it shows, not many big guys can do what he does.

Remember when John Cena debuted and beat Kurt Angle? No, because he put up a great fight and LOST.

Because Cena was a rookie, so it worked.

Remember when CM Punk made Undertaker tap out in his debut? Or when Daniel Bryan pinned Triple H in his first match? No, because they DIDN'T HAPPEN.

Neither came in with the flare that Kevin Owens did. Plus NXT wasn't around then, so the WWE fans didn't have a chance to get to know them. People know who Kevin Owens not because of just the indies, but because of NXT. Punk and Bryan didn't have that luxury.

Last night permanently and irrevocably damaged John Cena's drawing power, and that of the entire WWE roster, because they just straight up said that any random guy can come up from NXT and instantly be completely superior to any top WWE star.

Again Owens is not some random guy they plucked off the street, or some noodle that sent in a Tough Enough video. He is an established star. There is a whole new world of wrestling outside of the WWE, and believe it or not some of these guys are quite well known. You should check it out, you'd be quite shocked.

If you think that one loss to Cena damaged him beyond repair, or damaged the rest of the roster, then that means one thing. The roster and Cena are shit, that Owens winning could do that too them. Fire the lot of them now then.

What surprises me most about all this is that Kevin Owens won CLEAN. No interference. No ref bumps. No weapons. No nothing. It says a lot to me about how WWE feels about Owens. It was easily the best match on the card. I think it would be cool to have him beat John Cena for the US title and bring it to NXT with him. Kevin Owens being the first guy to bring a title from the main roster to NXT

Last night permanently and irrevocably damaged John Cena's drawing power....

Well, I guess we'll be finding out. It was one thing for Cena to lose to Brock Lesnar.....but maybe quite another to lose to a guy just up from NXT, although we realize Owens is anything but a rookie.

Still, even while I loved that WWE would have KO go over clean......because it was the last thing I expected.......I have to admit to wondering how this might affect Cena.

In the end, I don't think it will. Cena's legacy is such that he might be the only performer in WWE who can absorb a defeat such as this and keep soldiering on......and, as always, it will be amusing to read folks on this forum tell us how he never loses, never jobs.....and serves only himself. He sure blew the lid off that last night, no?

But man, it sure will be fascinating to see how they plan to present Kevin Owens from here on in. The results could change the entire structure of the main event level.....and I think that's great.

Look out, Randy. After Owens finishes his program with Cena, watch for KO in your neighborhood.

I highly doubt this loss is going to affect John Cena's drawing power at all, it probably took him all of 5 minutes to regain back the little drawing power he may have lost by getting pinned by Owens. When you've been on top as long as Cena has 1 loss (even by a guy making his debut) isn't going to hurt you, the only thing at this point that will hurt his drawing power is the time he's been on top as it's only a matter of time before the fans get sick of what you're selling, it happens to everyone and it will happen to Cena as well.

As far as the match itself I loved it. As much as people have been giving Owens props (which he more than deserves) I think its fair to give Cena a big shout out as well. Sometimes people forget it takes 2 to tango and John couldn't have done a better job of putting Owens over last night. I've heard a rematch is already in the works which is a TERRIBLE idea in my opinion, the longer Owens and Cena don't touch at this point the better. Owens already beat the top dog in WWE in his 1st match, he could ride on that for a long time but only if he doesn't lose to Cena in the next month or so (which he probably will). I'm happy WWE does things to put its young talent over like they did with Owens but I can't remember the last time they truly capitalized on it. If Cena beats Owens the next 2-3 PPV's then all work put in last night gets undone and Owens is right back to where he was when he first debuted (which isn't a bad place to be, I just hate talent moving backwards so soon).

At the risk of sounding like a broken record I can't get excited about this until I see how it all unfolds because a large part of me is waiting for a colossal creative fuck up to happen.

Except that Cena's drawing power isn't really that high, and neither is the rest of the rosters. The WWE brand name is what draws, and Kevin Owens for sure is not bigger than the WWE. What little drawing power Cena does have whenever he headlines house shows won't be affected by this loss in the slightest. Even if he loses clean again at MITB.

His marketability is what brings in the big money for WWE, and I can guarantee you 100% that Owens won't be replacing Cena as WWE's poster boy any time soon.

The decision to put Owens over clean was the right call. I was expecting the match to end in a no contest, but it really gives Kevin [and NXT as a whole] a shit ton of momentum.

That Great Promo tonight by Cena more than made up for him taking the clean loss at Elimination Chamber.

I do see a Cena win at MitB or some screwy finish, but I hope the feud itself ends with Owens taking the US title from Cena either at or before SummerSlam 2015.

Did it damage the 8yo crying to his parents "I wanna see Super Cena!"? Did it damage his merch sales? You know, little Muffin tearfully begging her Mom, "Mommy, I wanna Cena shirt!"? I will bet you dollars to donuts that it did not. He is the most marketable on that roster. Cena's marketability is as close to bulletproof as you are going to get. In no way jobbing to Owens hurt him in the least.

I marked the fuck out. I never thought they would give Owens the clean win over John Cena in his debut match. That tells you just how high WWE is on Kevin Owens at this point. Not only that, but now Samoa Joe gets a huge rub once he eventually takes the NXT title off of Owens (assuming this happens).

I remember Lawler saying, "you're not going to see Kevin Owens do any moonsaults" and I sat there thinking... I'm guessing Lawler has never seen a Kevin Steen or Owens match. Sure enough, about 5 minutes later Owens performed a moonsault and a senton... made Lawler look pretty stupid.

Anyway, I'm not 100% sure that WWE had an Owens/Cena rematch penciled in before their EC match, but circumstances may have forced their hand. If Owens were to go over again, it would be almost unprecedented and it would indicate huge things for his future... perhaps a match with Brock Lesnar somewhere down the line?

Did it damage the 8yo crying to his parents "I wanna see Super Cena!"? Did it damage his merch sales? You know, little Muffin tearfully begging her Mom, "Mommy, I wanna Cena shirt!"?

It's an interesting question, If, as many have claimed, the company has been previously marketing Cena to kids, perhaps a change is in store. Against Lesnar and Owens, he no longer seemed much like Super Cena, did he? How about his first match against Rusev? Against Daniel Bryan?

If this is the case, maybe they can take the next step and finally turn him heel. One way or the other, WWE is apparently looking to alter our perceptions of Cena. A second loss to KO might cement the deal.....and I think it would be friggin' huge to see him as a bad guy.

Looking at things from that point of view, the new and unique way Kevin Owens is being handled might have wider ramifications than we think.

I've been led to think that WWE is gonna pull the trigger and have Owens and Lesnar main event SummerSlam. While at first, I wasn't happy about them wasting the title match at Battleground, I actually think it's a good thing now that they're doing this. So my booking is the following, set the match between Rollins and Lesnar for Battleground but have The Authority recruit Kevin Owens to cost Brock the victory, this then sets up the new biggest feud of the summer. Kevin Owens and Brock Lesnar, which with the momentum of Owens should be a huge draw not to mention a great match.

Itd be awesome if Owens took two straight from Cena. Unfortunately, i dont trust wwe enough to go through with it. Owens can be a monster heel, and destroying the man thats been at the top for over a decade would be a nice starting point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back