José Mourinho: One of the greatest managers of all time?

Ferbian

Has Returned.
Mourinho has had quite a lot of success managing teams through the 00's, managing Porto, Chelsea and Internazionale, 3 world class teams (Chelsea and Inter to say the least)

Looking at Mourinho's accomplishments, it's not hard to see that he has the ability to make a great team.

Managerial honours

Portugal Porto (2002-2004)

* Portuguese Liga (2): 2002-03, 2003-04
* Portuguese Cup (1): 2002-03
* Portuguese SuperCup (1): 2003
* UEFA Cup (1): 2002-03
* UEFA Champions League (1): 2003-04

England Chelsea (2004-2007)

* FA Premier League (2): 2004-05, 2005-06
* FA Cup (1): 2006-07
* League Cup (2): 2004-05, 2006-07
* FA Community Shield (1): 2005

Italy Internazionale (200:cool:

* Serie A (2): 2008-09, 2009-10
* Coppa Italia (1): 2009-10
* Supercoppa Italiana (1): 2008

Individual honours

* UEFA Manager of the Year (1): 2003
* Portuguese Liga Manager of the Year (2): 2002/03, 2003/04
* Premier League Manager of the Year (2): 2004–05, 2005–06
* Serie A Manager of the Year (1): 2009
* IFFHS World Manager of the Year (2): 2004, 2005
* UEFA Champions League Manager of the Year (2): 2002–03, 2003–04
* UEFA Team of the Year Coach of the Year (3): 2003, 2004, 2005
* BBC Sports Personality of the Year Coach Award (1): 2005
* Onze d'Or European Coach (1): 2005
* Premier League Manager of the Month (3): November 2004, January 2005, March 2007
* World Soccer Magazine Coach of the Year (2): 2004, 2005
* International Sports Press Association Best Manager in the World (1): 2010 [49]

And can potentially add another UEFA Champions League victory to his resume after tonight against Bayern Munchen, Mourinho has had an incredible success especially managing Chelsea, bringing them close to winning the Champion's League at one time (as far as I recall, I could be wrong)

Mourinho has been said to be a manager, who trains to win, and nothing else, he seems to me like a very determined person.

So I ask you now, would you go as far as to call Mourinho one of the greatest managers of all time? or just another one in the long length of people who has accomplished things, only to be forgotten?

Personally, I think he may very well be one of the greatest, I've always had the impression, that when he was in the seat of being manager for a club, it means that they'll go places, they'll achieve great things.

Yes...clearly, he is argubly one of the greatest of all time...you can add the UEFA Champions League to his honours for Inter Milan as you will know he won the trophy with them just moments ago...He is one of a kind and has amazing celebrations and great tactics..he never had the best team at Inter, but won the Champions League with the...what does that show you...

The only real question I have for him is: He can win the UCL with Porto, and 2nd season into his Inter career, although he came close, how come he never won the UCL whilst at Chelsea...

Wr can pretty much see him at Real Madrid next year, and you've gotta ask, can he do it again??

The only real question I have for him is: He can win the UCL with Porto, and 2nd season into his Inter career, although he came close, how come he never won the UCL whilst at Chelsea...

I really don't get this as well, both years that they came remotely close, they were knocked out in the semi finals by Liverpool, so I'm guessing you could say it's still a feat to reach the top 4 two out of three years, even if they didn't win it, which I think Chelsea had a great chance of, but he still remains the most successful manager in Chelsea's history.

Wr can pretty much see him at Real Madrid next year, and you've gotta ask, can he do it again??

Edited: So I just realized, he very well is going to Real Madrid, I think he's gonna be tearing through the league in Spain really, he could prove to be incredibly successful with the talent that Real Madrid presents, I'm pretty certain he could very well bring the championship back home to Real Madrid.

Well yeah, he is one of the greatest managers of all time, whichever team he manages, wins things, and thats all that counts. He also seems to have his own personal checklist though, "well, I've won all there is to win with this club, time to go to another" which could be a secret to his success.

Personally I'd like to see if he ever settles down with a team, and has the kind of career Sir Alex has had with one club. I'd probably get boring for him, but it'd be very interesting to see if he could sustain success, I reckon he could of course, but it'd still be interesting.

Personally I'd like to see if he ever settles down with a team, and has the kind of career Sir Alex has had with one club. I'd probably get boring for him, but it'd be very interesting to see if he could sustain success, I reckon he could of course, but it'd still be interesting.

I think Mourinho could accomplish huge things if he settled down with one team, for, say 10 year's time.

I think, if he truly is going to Real Madrid, and is gonna get a good season out of the first year, which we're most definitely gonna be seeing (cause it'd be ridiculous to assume that this guy, of all people can fail in bringing glory to Real Madrid) then it could be absolutely awesome to watch if he stuck around for those 10 years, how many champion's league victories, Supercopa de España victories, La Liga victories etc. that he could pull off.

Looking at the roster in Real Madrid, world class talents, I think he's gonna be able to draw them to being perhaps the greatest team in the world (again).

The Champions League win last night pretty much confirmed (as if anyone had a doubt) that he's the best manager in the world. After the miracle of turning Porto into European Champions but then failing to do so with a much better team in his next job, you had to wonder if he was just very good. The fact that he's gone to Italy and taken an adequate team to the Italian title in his first season and then to a clean sweep in his 2nd is remarkable and makes him the most valuable man in football.
I just can't see him fitting in with Madrid though, they're so totally different in approach. One of the ITV pundits was spot on last night (it had to happen eventually) when they asked how players like that Portugese wanker would react to having to defend, which is the Mourinho way. With all the attacking players they've got, I sense trouble on the horizon.

It will be intriguing to see what happens with Jose at Madrid.

At his last two clubs he has had the funds to buy players and will no doubt have the same at the Bernabeu. However, I can see Jose having similar problems in Madrid as he did with the higher-ups at Chelsea and Inter. His superiority complex makes him abrasive to those controlling the club. He fell out with Abramovich over the team's style of play and relations with the Inter board and Italian media were never good.

I think one Spanish pundit summed it up well by saying that Jose would have a successful but less than melodious relationship with Florentino Perez and Real Madrid.

As for his status as one of the greatest, I would say that he needs to bring success to a club that is not already successful. It is unlikely to happen but a mid-table side that has not got vast reservoirs of cash or already qualified for the Champions League.

Had Jose thought he needed such an achievedment on his CV, he could easily have gone to Liverpool but when Madrid were literally tripping over themselves to get him how could he pass it up

Барбоса;2066929 said:
Had Jose thought he needed such an achievedment on his CV, he could easily have gone to Liverpool but when Madrid were literally tripping over themselves to get him how could he pass it up

Indeed, it would be stupid to turn down Real Madrid of all clubs when they offer you a manager contract, seeing as their past success is inevitable to acknowledge, and the talent that the club shelters.

Liverpool would've done amazing with Jose, even though they certainly have the talent to do well without him, they're having a sad season this year although, but they have every talent to do great, with, or without Jose, and as you said, bring success to a club that hasn't achieved greatness already, has the talents, or for that sake, the fund, would do great things for the reputation of Jose, but Liverpool wouldn't be the place to land a deal then, because they do have the talent, funds and potential for greatness, their history shows exactly that.

Trophywise yes i think so. He has had to spend money to get players he feels are necessary. I think you have to see him take a club from mediocre to great though. When he went to Chelsea they were loaded, when he went to Inter they were the champs elect due to match fixing so other clubs were in dissarray. Porto had always been fairly successful, not to the extent he got for them. He needs to go to say a West Ham and turn them around.

He never stays long enough to get the stick and unrest from difficult years, like Rafa now. When it was approaching at Chelsea he left (not due to that though). I think he needs to a) have say 5,10 years at a club and see what they can do. Then we need to also see him take a long-term job and build a club but he is an excellent tactician and coach.

On a side note, due to his style of play, i wonder if he encounters a couple of losses or a sticky patch, how quickly the media etc would turn on him? His style of play is not something that could sustain him through hard times.

He's certainly well on his way to becoming one of the best ever.

Football has changed now, so it's very rare for a manager, or even a player to spend more than 5 years at one club. But wherever Mourinho has gone since he joined Porto, he's brought immense levels of success.

Winning the UEFA Cup, then Champions League in back-to-back seasons with Porto was remarkable. At Chelsea he took over a reasonably successful team, but made them into a force in the English game. He inherited a strong team from Roberto Mancini at Inter Milan, but made them better and won the Champions League with them, the first time Inter had won the European Cup in almost 50 years.

He was unlucky with Chelsea in the Champions League. He was screwed over in the semi-final against Liverpool, when Liverpool 'scored' a phantom goal, the only one of the tie. Chelsea should have won it that year. He was stabbed in the back by certain players in his final year at Chelsea, and was left with no option but to quit.

I've no doubt whatsoever that he'll go to Real Madrid and win the Champions League with them. La Liga is another matter though, Barcelona only dropped about 15 points in the 2009/10 season and have already strengthened by signing the best striker in the world, David Villa, and may well get Cesc Fabregas from Arsenal too. Real Madrid have an excellent squad too, they only need a couple of signings to keep in touch with Barcelona. Talk is that Steven Gerrard is on his way to the Bernabeau. La Liga is undoubtedly THE league to watch next season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back