Fans too quick to judge?

OIL

Championship Contender
wayne-rooney_1236681c.jpg

Manchester United 3 - 0 Chelsea

I'm using this game as an example. Late Sunday afternoon, Manchester United completly demolished Chelsea at Old Trafford. The game was billed as a must win for both sides, and predicted to be a very close game. However, Manchester United took full control of the match, and the 3 - 0 score flattered Chelsea, as it easily could have been 5 or 6 - 0.

After a terrible performance, Chelsea fans quickly turned against the entire squad, and the manager. On Chelsea forums hundreds upon hundreds of fans called for Scolari to be sacked, and for Jose Mourinho to return. There were also calls for some unsurprising and surprising axes from the Chelsea squad. Fans wanted their own captain John Terry to be sold, Drogba to be sold, Deco, Ballack and Mikel, just for one bad performance.

In my opinion, the Chelsea fans took this game too seriously and read into the performance too much. Yes, the performance was terrible, but everyone has an off day. Their day came against a Manchester United side that were very in form, bar their passing. Calling for key players to be axed, and the manager after one bad result is just too much, and they need to be given time. So, you can relate this to any sporting situation. Are the fans too quick to judge?

While not a soccer fan in the slightest, this happens in America as well. It's the what have you done for me lately concept. Fans expect nothing short of perfection every time that their team takes the field and that is nothing short of unreasonable. Teams and coaches, no matter how talented, are at the end of the day still human beings and aren't going to be perfect every time they play. There's an American football coach here named Bill Cowher who is currently retired but is constantly being asked if he would like to return. He won a championship, had another good year and then he retired. What people are overlooking is the year before that when people were calling for his head for how badly he was coaching, which was about average. People remember the last thing that happened. If Chelsea wins their next few games, this will all blow over.

HATE this. I've thankfully never seen it at a Rhinos game from our fans, but a couple of years back we flattened our derby rivals Bradford at their ground, 30-0. As the game got to an end the fans turned on the players, abusing them as much as you would an opposing team, and leaving so that there were approximately 1,000 of the 20,000 fans left. I was disgusted. You should ALWAYS support your team, and realise they had a bad day. So they think those chants made the players even more egged on to win? I think not. It's stupid, and fans need to realise no one's perfect.

Fans should do whatever they want. It might be counterproductive, but if you've paid for a ticket to a match thyen you should react however you want.

Fans should feel aggrieved if their team has a bad day. Footballers get paid more in a week than most people do in 5 years. The fooballers or other sportsmen should take the criticism and do better.

Everybody has off days, but 11 plus people all having an off day on the same day? Shouldn't happen. There's a difference between Chelsea getting thrased by Man Utd and any other team getting threashed before anybody says anything.

Exactly, its the same with England matches.

You have tons of fans booing off a team at fulltime if they are not winning(usually againstteams the equivalent of the Dug and Drake Sunday League team). As a fan, you can pay anything upto 90 quid a ticket(rough estimate for Wembley) and if you are not getting your value for money, you have every right to complain.

I personally am a Leeds fan and I will not pay the ticket prices currently on offer at Elland Road. Why? Because its Premier League prices for League One football. Instead of teams like Man United and Chelsea, we have to contend with the "big guns" like Oldham, MK Dons and Scunthorpe!

I personally am a Leeds fan and I will not pay the ticket prices currently on offer at Elland Road. Why? Because its Premier League prices for League One football. Instead of teams like Man United and Chelsea, we have to contend with the "big guns" like Oldham, MK Dons and Scunthorpe!

its ridiculous the prices at Elland Road at the moment. but in fairness i only paid £21 for a ticket for the game against Carlisle on saturday.

on the chelsea matter, i think they are so used to seeing there team win and have good spells that theyve forgotten the feeling of a struggle and i think its right to turn on the players. Take my team Leeds United's example:
we have possibly the Worst Defence in our history. At the carlisle game our right back Frazer Richardson gave the ball away alot. so he got abuse from our fans. We kept getting caught out on our left side. and didnt have a shot on goal in the first half. Why should we pay our money just to see our team play like that.

With Chelsea the amount of money the players like Terry And Drogba Deco etc earn they shouldnt be playing like that. if you are a chelsea fan you expect to pay money to see a great performance by players who are argueabley the best in the world, id be pissed off if they played like they did especially against your main Premiership rivals Salford ''Scumchester'' United.

Exactly, its the same with England matches.

You have tons of fans booing off a team at fulltime if they are not winning(usually againstteams the equivalent of the Dug and Drake Sunday League team). As a fan, you can pay anything upto 90 quid a ticket(rough estimate for Wembley) and if you are not getting your value for money, you have every right to complain.

I'm pretty sure you can get cheaper tickets at Wembley, as the most expensive seats will be the ones with the best view. You could easily get cheaper ones so don't go complaining, go for a different seat.

And hold on, value for money? Unless you didn't know, football isn't scripted. They can't make every game entertaining by winning every game. Anyone can win in football, and you can't blame players if they lose once in a while. It's impossible for a team to win every single match, it's just impossible. Sooner or later they're going to have an off day. Going to complain because Leeds didn't get promotion? They're shit, get over it. You went from being in the Champions League to League One, and it's where you belong. Don't complain because your team isn't doing well, just get behind them.

There's a difference between booing Clesea & Leeds. It's more acceptable to boo Chelsea because they don't lose often. Their fans are accustomed to success, so losing, let alone getting thrashed is going to eb hard to take.

It's like me booing Stoke for a 5-0 loss to Man Utd. Pointless because Man Utd have more class, so they should be Stoke and other teams like them 5-0. But I'm well within my rights to boo Stoke when they lose to a team like Hartlepool who are two divisions below.

I'm pretty sure you can get cheaper tickets at Wembley, as the most expensive seats will be the ones with the best view. You could easily get cheaper ones so don't go complaining, go for a different seat.

And hold on, value for money? Unless you didn't know, football isn't scripted. They can't make every game entertaining by winning every game. Anyone can win in football, and you can't blame players if they lose once in a while. It's impossible for a team to win every single match, it's just impossible. Sooner or later they're going to have an off day. Going to complain because Leeds didn't get promotion? They're shit, get over it. You went from being in the Champions League to League One, and it's where you belong. Don't complain because your team isn't doing well, just get behind them.

It would still cost a pretty penny in Wembley, wherever you sit. Not to mention travel costs, hotel costs, food costs etc, it all adds up!

And please leave the fact that you think thats where Leeds belong, its blatant wumming and frankly quite boring. Yes we are down there and quite frankly, it was due to a chairman who had a "dream", yet couldnt back it up

It would still cost a pretty penny in Wembley, wherever you sit. Not to mention travel costs, hotel costs, food costs etc, it all adds up!

Travel costs and hotel costs aren't down to anything but yourself. It's not the stadium's fault that you live so far away that, to see England play, you need to book a hotel room and pay for transportation. For people in the surrounding area, they only need to pay for the ticket and food. For them, it's fine. You can't generalise your situation to the entire country.

Travel costs and hotel costs aren't down to anything but yourself. It's not the stadium's fault that you live so far away that, to see England play, you need to book a hotel room and pay for transportation. For people in the surrounding area, they only need to pay for the ticket and food. For them, it's fine. You can't generalise your situation to the entire country.

You can with regards to Wembley. The national stadium and it's at the bottom of the country. Making it a very expensive day for everybody who lives outside of London.

Most of the country have every right to voice how they feel when they go Wembley, because most people have made a real effort to go there.

No way, you said it yourself football isnt scripted so an upset loss to a shit team isn't good enough. Some one said about the amount of money they earn and thats what it's about, I mean look at it this way.

If I did a shit job building your garden wall or your extention then;
a) You'd refuse to pay for it
b) I'd probably get sacked for losing the company money

Well your paying these players by buying tickets to see the games, some of these players earn more in a week than I do in 10 years and yet they do a shit job. I cant demand my money back, they'll still get paid despite apparently being wank at what they for a living.

Losing a competative match to a superior or equal team is acceptable, losing consistently because your shit to nobodies while we are paying £40+ isn't really good enough. The Chelsea incident probably wouldnt have been so bad if they'd been playing well this season.

Going to complain because Leeds didn't get promotion? They're shit, get over it. You went from being in the Champions League to League One, and it's where you belong. Don't complain because your team isn't doing well, just get behind them.

im not saying we dont get behind them, but if your seeing the same crap week in week out when they should be improving but obviously aren't then i think as a fan we have a right to voice our concerns and please dont start the Leeds hating because trust me there isnt anything you can say that i havent heard before, i was only using them as an example because its the team i support.

Yes i am gonna complain about not getting promotion because i had to travel all the way from Leeds to Wembley to watch my team play absolutly shit even though we were the better side all season long and had we not had a 15 point deduction for a made up crime that the football league decided to punish us for then we would have gone up automatically. but anyway this isnt about leeds.

Like has been said, your telling me that our NATIONAL stadium is only meant for Londoners, or those in the surrounding areas? What a load of bollocks.

Yes, London has a lot of people in it, but look at most of the teams in the Premier League for starters(13 of them are either in the Midlands or up North), (and class some of the most supported teams in the country, like Leeds, Wolves and Birmingham). They are all above the Watford Gap. It would have been easier and more fair to all those involved to put the stadium in the midlands somewhere. That way you dont have the stupid traffic system in London(its busy as hell on a non-matchday!) and gives everyone in the country a better chance to see a live game. Hence why I liked the Millenium Stadium for cupo games (was a true neutral stadium) and the England on tour(you cannot tell me as a Man United fan, you didnt enjoy seeing Beckham score a freekick on your own turf to take us to Japan and Korea in 2001?)

Btw, I am actually quite tickled by the fact you call me "one of the worst posters ever", maybe because i am a Leeds fan and you support Manchester United. And your post of "your shit, get over it" just made me laugh. I think we sane Leeds fans know we are all the way down in the League One, but then again, we dont seemingly have the FA on our side as Mr Benetez correctly stated a few weeks back. And before you say it, I have spoke to many football fans, from Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal to Yorkcity and Cambridge who all agreed that Fergie gets away with allsorts.

Like has been said, your telling me that our NATIONAL stadium is only meant for Londoners, or those in the surrounding areas? What a load of bollocks.

No. Our national stadium has been put in the CAPITAL CITY OF THE FUCKING COUNTRY. Isn't that the smartest thing to do? That stadium cost a lot of money, so putting it in the capital where the most tourists go is going to generate the most amount of money. Surely that's the smartest thing?

Btw, I am actually quite tickled by the fact you call me "one of the worst posters ever", maybe because i am a Leeds fan and you support Manchester United. And your post of "your shit, get over it" just made me laugh. I think we sane Leeds fans know we are all the way down in the League One, but then again, we dont seemingly have the FA on our side as Mr Benetez correctly stated a few weeks back. And before you say it, I have spoke to many football fans, from Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal to Yorkcity and Cambridge who all agreed that Fergie gets away with allsorts.

I don't care if you support Leeds & I support United. You're a bad poster because you have no logic. I'm sorry, Rafa trying to play mind game with Fergie? Has he looked at the table? Because we're 3 points clear, and on form. Where are Liverpool at? 2nd, with a £20m flop to boot. It was mind games, and it backfired greatly. He's a mug. And hold on, you asked LIVERPOOL fans about Fergie? Sort yourself out. Because they're going to be fair aren't they?

How do I not have any logic? Its makes more sense from a footballing point of view to put the national stadium in easy reach of most of the country, especially those areas that already have successful football teams or HUGE followings.

And look at the cost it took to build, im sure it would have been much, much cheaper to build it in the midlands than in London(land costs, cheaper labour, better transport links)

May I ask where you are living/from? Just wondering as your team is Man United, so I presume around Salford

How do I not have any logic? Its makes more sense from a footballing point of view to put the national stadium in easy reach of most of the country, especially those areas that already have successful football teams or HUGE followings.

And look at the cost it took to build, im sure it would have been much, much cheaper to build it in the midlands than in London(land costs, cheaper labour, better transport links)

May I ask where you are living/from? Just wondering as your team is Man United, so I presume around Salford

But surely you'd put the biggest stadium in the country, for the NATIONAL team, in the capital. It makes more money. £750m for it, so they need to put it in a place where it's going to make the most money to pay that back.

I live in Surrey. Yeah, I don't want to hear the bollocks of 'OH MY GAWWWD but you live 3 hours away!! I bet you never see them play!!'

I go and see them play, often. That ends that one.

It also kind of explains your love for a national stadium in the capital...

As for the most money back "issue", you would make the same amount of money wherever you put it to be fair. Its just more equal to the fans of football in this country to put it in the most accessible place, ie the Midlands, not giving it to the Southerners.

There is a North/South divide, and people up North have grown to resent it.

But surely you'd put the biggest stadium in the country, for the NATIONAL team, in the capital. It makes more money. £750m for it, so they need to put it in a place where it's going to make the most money to pay that back.

Club Wembley tickets and England matches in general mean that tourists aren't likely able to get hold of tickets for big matches.

Tourists aren't going to be intrested in a Johnstone's Paint Final. And having the national stadium in London means that neutrals aren't going to make the trip for such a glorious final. But they would if it was central.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back