UEFA Champions League Thread - 2009-10

The Todd

Championship Contender
Well done Platini, you have taken all the fun out of the group stage.

Every group is a stroll for two teams.

Group A: Bayern Munich, Juventus, Bordeaux, Maccabi Haifa.

Bayern Munich and Juventus will laugh their way through the quarter finals. Maccabi haifa? Their only hope is people are too scared to travel to Israel.

Group B:

Man United, CSKA Moscow, Besiktas, Wolfsburg.

Wow a competitive group. Not for Manchester United mind, they walk through or for Besiktas, whose fans will stab more opponent fans than their team will score goals. It is a straight shootout from CSKA and Wolfsburg for second.

Group C:

AC Milan, Real Madrid, Marseille, Zurich.

Even the overpaid, topheavy Real Madrid team and the pensioners Milan can't mess this one up. Zurich? Darlo could give them a game.

Group D:

Chelsea, Porto, Atletico Madrid and APOEL

"Hello, Mr. Abramovic. There is no need for you to bother with the group stage, just go on through to the second round." Porto? Joke of a team since Mourinho left. United were awful last year and still beat them. Atletico are a top four team in a country where only the top team are any good, though they will still comfortably get second. And a team from Cyprus. Really?

Group E:

Liverpool, Lyon, Fiorentina and Debrecen.

Liverpool and Lyon in an absolute walk. Italian football is dead and Debrecen?

Group F:

Barcelona, Inter, Kiev and Rubin Kazan

Mourinho pisses off the community of Barcelona even more as his side and the best side in Europe march through against two nobodies.

Group G:

Sevilla, Rangers, Stuttgart, Unirea

I'm sorry is this the Champions League or the Europa League? Rangers have the best possible chance of reaching the next round. Sevilla aren't as good as they were under Ramos and Stuttgart aren't good at all. Three home wins and Rangers are through.

Group H:

Arsenal, Alkmaar, Olympiakos, Standard Liege

Easiest group possible for Arsenal. Alkmaar and Olympiakos battle it out for the privilidge of being the worst team in the second round draw.

No top seeds are in trouble, very few second seeds are in trouble. Oh, and the procedure for the draw is the most boring process in the world. Fuck seedings and give us an FA cup style draw. First four teams drawn in Group A.

Prediction: Iniesta and Xavi to drive Barca all the way to the final, through all the hardest teams where they lose to a Chelsea side who beat nobodies to get there on a dodgy decision which Drogba doesn't think is a disgrace.

Well done Platini, you have taken all the fun out of the group stage.

Every group is a stroll for two teams.

Group A: Bayern Munich, Juventus, Bordeaux, Maccabi Haifa.

Bayern Munich and Juventus will laugh their way through the quarter finals. Maccabi haifa? Their only hope is people are too scared to travel to Israel.

Bordeaux are an outstanding team when they're on their game. French champions over Lyon last year for a reason man, Gourcuff is a special player. Granted I still think Bayern and Juventus are going through, but not so much a walk in the park. It'll be close.

Group B:

Man United, CSKA Moscow, Besiktas, Wolfsburg.

Wow a competitive group. Not for Manchester United mind, they walk through or for Besiktas, whose fans will stab more opponent fans than their team will score goals. It is a straight shootout from CSKA and Wolfsburg for second.

Manure and Wolfsburg to go through.

Group C:

AC Milan, Real Madrid, Marseille, Zurich.

Even the overpaid, topheavy Real Madrid team and the pensioners Milan can't mess this one up. Zurich? Darlo could give them a game.

As a Milan fan I'm not saying this is a walk in the park, but we should advance. But you never know. Kaka coming back to San Siro so soon, gotta love it.

Group D:

Chelsea, Porto, Atletico Madrid and APOEL

"Hello, Mr. Abramovic. There is no need for you to bother with the group stage, just go on through to the second round." Porto? Joke of a team since Mourinho left. United were awful last year and still beat them. Atletico are a top four team in a country where only the top team are any good, though they will still comfortably get second. And a team from Cyprus. Really?

I like Atletico and hope they oust Porto, but Porto always find a way to sneak into the quarterfinals one way or another. With Lisandro Lopez at Lyon, I can see Atletico advancing.

Group E:

Liverpool, Lyon, Fiorentina and Debrecen.

Liverpool and Lyon in an absolute walk. Italian football is dead and Debrecen?

Agreed. I'm kind of hoping Fiorentina upset and finish top 2 while Liverpool drop to the Europa League though :p

Group F:

Barcelona, Inter, Kiev and Rubin Kazan

Mourinho pisses off the community of Barcelona even more as his side and the best side in Europe march through against two nobodies.

Yawn.

Group G:

Sevilla, Rangers, Stuttgart, Unirea

I'm sorry is this the Champions League or the Europa League? Rangers have the best possible chance of reaching the next round. Sevilla aren't as good as they were under Ramos and Stuttgart aren't good at all. Three home wins and Rangers are through.

Stuttgart and Sevilla through. Never even heard of Unirea and I hate Scottish teams, so Rangers for the Europa League.

Group H:

Arsenal, Alkmaar, Olympiakos, Standard Liege

Easiest group possible for Arsenal. Alkmaar and Olympiakos battle it out for the privilidge of being the worst team in the second round draw.

Is it just me or do Arsenal always get an easy passage to the 2nd round? Arse and AZ through.

No top seeds are in trouble, very few second seeds are in trouble. Oh, and the procedure for the draw is the most boring process in the world. Fuck seedings and give us an FA cup style draw. First four teams drawn in Group A.

Prediction: Iniesta and Xavi to drive Barca all the way to the final, through all the hardest teams where they lose to a Chelsea side who beat nobodies to get there on a dodgy decision which Drogba doesn't think is a disgrace.

Barcelona are strong as fuck but Ibrahimobitch will cause the same amount of disruption that Eto'o caused. However he gives Messi a big strong striker to hold the ball up for him, and they can be a very dangerous duo. If Real can gel early in the season, they're definitely up there too, especially with the Alonso signing where they finally have some stability in the middle. Chelsea will be the biggest English threat IMO, especially with the Champions League experience that Ancelotti brings. All signs point to Chelsea, Barcelona, Real and one other random team thrown in there (let's say Milan, because I'm biased and I want an Italian team in there) to make the final 4.

Yeah, the Champions League draw this year is very intriguing to say the least. I think that having some of the big teams in the second pot is going to be very interesting to say the least. Milan vs Real Madrid promises to be a great match and Inter Milan vs Barcelona should be an absolute peach as well. I also think that the English teams in the draw have avoided a lot of the teams that could really cause them problems. I fully ecpect a;; of the teams from Britain to go through in first spot or second.

The draw is boring this year, but I'm sure the competition will be all the better for taking out Shakthar and Sporting and replacing them with the Cypriot champions. Platini really is the biggest ******** in the world.

There will be no suprises in the group stages, and it is basically a case of who finishes first in most groups. Arsenal could feasibly make it to the quarter finals having beat Alkmaar, Olympiakos, Standard Liege and Rangers. Oh well, at least it'll be good by April.

Terrible draw this year, feels as though they just wanted the best teams to go through, there's maybe 2 groups this year that have competition for second place, in most groups it's already a formality.

As a Liverpool fan I can't see us doing well this year, we'll probably escape the group, but I've got no doubt we'll go out before the semi's, our squad is too thin for the premier league, never mind the champions league.

I think this year could finally be Inter Milan's, now that they've got rid of that useless donkey Imbrahimovic and got themselves some pace up top in Eto'o, they can actually pose a threat to most clubs. If Inter can get two good results against Barca in the group, they'll stand in good stead to challenge further in the tournament.

In the last few years we've had a high number of English clubs getting to the Semi's, I honestly don't think that'll be the case this year, with a better quality of teams coming from all groups, the quarters and last 16 will be much tougher. I think we'll see Chelsea and United progress the furthest of the English teams.

Barca and Inter should certainly be contenders this year along with Chelsea and United, a team to look out for this year will be Lyon, they've strengthened their squad massively and could pose a threat with their brilliant home form. I can't see too many surprises in this years competition though, seems as though Platini doesn't want that and only wants good teams to go through, but he is a colossal twat so there you go.

Match Day One - Part One

Well we're underway, but a pretty damp squib of a first night if you ask me. The game I watched in full was Besiktas/United. If these poor sides from other countries are going to enter the Champions League they can at least try and make it entertaining but Besiktas just packed their defence and bored everyone to sleep. Luckily United got the win so other "little" teams might think twice about going defensive.

In the other games a good win for Chelsea against Porto and John terry played on after being out cold. Like to see Ronaldo do that. Speaking of Ronaldo, the media are making it out he has proved his worth, what with two free kicks? The second of which was a complete goalkeeping howler? The first one the keeper could have got too. Oh and Madrid proved the theory they can't defend.

Elsewhere Milan beat Marseille int he "clash of the teams who used to be good, but are now full of overrated players. And when will Pipo Inzaghi stop scoring goals? Juve drew with Bordeaux, another who are no where near the force they once were (Juve, Bordeaux have never been good). And in the big "shock" Apoel drew away at Atletico Madrid. Bravo.

Let's hope tonight is much better. High hopes for Inter/Barca. The rest, not so much. I still blame Platini for making the first phase so uncompetitive.

Match Day One Part Two

And Wednesday night was just as dull. One game in the whole round was interesting, and that was Liege/Arsenal. See what happens when an underdog attacks the big team? They get beat, but they do it entertainingly. Well, unless your Debrecen, they tried attacking but were just shit. Liverpool never needed to leave second gear to see them off. Dirk Kuyt is so underrated too.

Rangers were very good and could have nicked all three points in a tough game with Stuttgart. If Rangers can win their home games now they have the magic 10 points and will qualify. Long way to go mind.

As for the "big game", Inter vs Barca, it was a non event. Ibrahimovic did what he does best, and misses a sitter. Messi shocked everyone and missed an even easier one. Barca will be much more entertaining when Iniesta is fully fit. Oh and Inter have a decent side. Sneijder is a fantastic player.

And then we are onto the really top class game that was Kiev vs Rubin Kazan. How the hell is this a Champions League game? What will make it worse is one of them will draw at home to Barca or Inter, due to the cold weather and the shit pitch, and Platini will hail it a success and choosing to ignore the fact no one cares about these teams. This could have been, for instance, Sporting Lisbon vs Celtic. Good choice there, Mr.Platini.

Liverpool lost to Lyon, Rangers were hammered by Unirea, Kiev drew in the San Siro and Rubin Kazan beat Barcelona in the Nou Camp. That is Rubin Kazan beat Barcelona on their own patch.

Absolutely amazing result. Barcelona dominated the game but Rubin were hard working, skillful and clinical which is all you need in the Champions League. Xavi, Iniesta and Toure ran the show, but the three up top were awful. Ibrahimovic did score, but it was put on a plate for him from Xavi. Messi was anonymous. Pedro looks way out of his depth. They missed Henry big time, and selling Eto'o was obviously a mistake.

Tomorrow night there is AC Milan vs Real Madrid. Battle of the giants, but also battle of the two most overrated teams in world football. It won't be a classic.

Today's results prove that small teams do actually deserve their shot in the Champions League. Kazan played in the right spirit and did superbly. Looks like I owe Mr. Platini an apology.

I'll talk to you Todd so it doesnt seem like you are talking to yourself man.

Fantastic result for Rubin. As you know from our Confederations Cup discussion I am a big fan of the underdogs and this is exactly what I am talking about. Who the hell are Rubin Kazan? whoever they are they have just pulled off one of the biggest results in Champions League history. Didnt see the game or the highlights but it seems recently that Barca are struggling? I dunno if thats a fair assesment as I haven't really seem them play.

Tomorrow AC Milan vs Real Madrid should be a good game on paper but the reality is its gonna be a boring game, who knows maybe Ronaldo can lighten the game up with his step overs, maybe Benzama will score a Hattrick, maybe Kaka will turn up and want to get involved in a game for the first time in a while.

I'm so pleased Liverpool lost, I have been saying for a while that they are a vastly overrated team and this past week has proved it. They just cant win without Torres or Gerrard. Arsenal drawing has shocked me though as I expected them to come out easy winners in Holland.

I'll talk to you Todd so it doesnt seem like you are talking to yourself man.
Knew my persistence would work.

Fantastic result for Rubin. As you know from our Confederations Cup discussion I am a big fan of the underdogs and this is exactly what I am talking about.
I have no problem with these results happening in the group stage, or when a team goes out with an attacking mindset. Though, if Rubin qualify for the later stages and Barca don't, I will be pissed.

Who the hell are Rubin Kazan? whoever they are they have just pulled off one of the biggest results in Champions League history. Didnt see the game or the highlights but it seems recently that Barca are struggling? I dunno if thats a fair assesment as I haven't really seem them play.
Saw the game tonight, they lacked a cutting edge. The goal aside, their chances were from long range except for a Toure header. Pedro was rubbish, Ibrahimovic isn't as busy as Eto'o was which leaves Messi stuck with two markers. He needs someone else to drag that second marker away to exploit gaps.

Tomorrow AC Milan vs Real Madrid should be a good game on paper but the reality is its gonna be a boring game, who knows maybe Ronaldo can lighten the game up with his step overs, maybe Benzama will score a Hattrick, maybe Kaka will turn up and want to get involved in a game for the first time in a while.
Ronaldo is injured. Maybe Kaka will turn up, the game is tailor made for him. Though, like you, i can't see it being a classic.

I'm so pleased Liverpool lost, I have been saying for a while that they are a vastly overrated team and this past week has proved it. They just cant win without Torres or Gerrard.
Precisely. They also lack Xabi Alonso. They have lost with Gerrard and Torres in the team, the two of them miss Alonso's creativity. Without all three, they are not a team who can win the thing.They'll bounce back on Sunday, they won't lose five on the trot. Lyon are a good side, mind.

Knew my persistence would work.

Well I kinda felt sorry for you, plus I havent posted in the sports section for a while.

I have no problem with these results happening in the group stage, or when a team goes out with an attacking mindset. Though, if Rubin qualify for the later stages and Barca don't, I will be pissed.

I wont. The way I see it Rubin will have deserved to have gone through and Barca wouldn't have. If Barca cant get though that piss ant group of teams in that group then in my opinion they should not be considered one of the best teams in the world. Its kinda like your saying you would have the group stages as long as teams like Man/Arse/Barca/Inter/A.C/Real/the best teams always went through and if that the case whats the point in having the group stages.

Saw the game tonight, they lacked a cutting edge. The goal aside, their chances were from long range except for a Toure header. Pedro was rubbish, Ibrahimovic isn't as busy as Eto'o was which leaves Messi stuck with two markers. He needs someone else to drag that second marker away to exploit gaps.

Well I know what you think off Ibrahimovic so I wont talk about him and his shitness but it does seem like miss Eto'o. To be honest every time I watched Eto'o he didnt seem anything special but I suppose Barca work(ed) so good as a team that you notice frailties when the players leave.

Ronaldo is injured. Maybe Kaka will turn up, the game is tailor made for him. Though, like you, i can't see it being a classic.

Yeah I see what you mean about Kaka, plus he has to score past his old club it always happens but maybe it will be Hunterlar making the point. I can see the game being a boring nil-nil to be honest.

Precisely. They also lack Xabi Alonso. They have lost with Gerrard and Torres in the team, the two of them miss Alonso's creativity. Without all three, they are not a team who can win the thing.They'll bounce back on Sunday, they won't lose five on the trot. Lyon are a good side, mind.

Ah if they lost 5 in a row I would be so happy just to mainly see Phil Thompson and his big nose cry. But yeah Lyon are a good side they have been for many of the past 5 years. Ya know I completely forgot about Xabi Alonso, he did create alot for them which is something Mascherano cannot do, he is too defenisve minded and not a goalscorer like Alonso was.

This was one of the best CL matchdays ever.

Lyon, Rubin Kazan, AZ, Dynamo Kiev, Unirea all producing fantastic results over difficult opposition, and then Milan stun Real at the Bernebeau? Thank you Platini, for this new grouping system :D

Not as spectacular as Tuesday night, but Wednesday was all right. Manchester United produced the textbook away European performance; keep the ball, don't take risks, remain patient and a goal will come. Very impressed with them last night.

Not as impressed as I was with Frank Lampard. On his day, and yesterdya was certainly his day, no one in the English game can touch him. And that includes Steven Gerrard. He was superb. His passing is out of this world, by far the most cultured English player. He took his goal well, set up the second and had a big hand in the first. Chelsea were very good, and Lampard was out of this world.

That can't be said for any Milan or Madrid players. They proved exactly why they're both overrated. Dida? Has he ever been a good 'keeper? No. Why he is still in Europe plying his trade, never mind the San Siro, I have no idea. Ronaldinho too. You were a two year wonder. Retire now. Nobody wants you around any more. As for Madrid's defence, the less said the better. I do think Clarence Seedorf is a touch of class though.

Elsewhere...ah nobody cares about the other games last night. Good week for the Champions League. Three English teams are more or less through, the other is embarrassing themselves and the country. They'll still go through, and they will beat United on Sunday.

As for Rangers, they're screwed. They can't win away. They'r enot even going to get in the Europa League.

Brilliantly entertaining week in the Champions League group stage. No, I don't understand what's going on either. The usual boring section has come alive this year.

On Tuesday night, firstly what a game at Old Trafford. CSKA go 3-1 up, United denied the most stonewall of penalties I have ever seen, Igor Akinfeev is in inspired form and there's just six minutes left. A Paul Scholes header and an own goal later, and it ends 3-3. Probably the most entertaining last six minutes in Champions League group stage history.

Except maybe for this game. Atletico Madrid were on the cusp of their first win in the group stage, at home to none other than (my) favourites to win the whole thing, Chelsea. Two goals from the most in form striker in the world, after Fernando Torres, DIdier Drogba, and Atletico are beaten. But, wait. Wonderkid Sergio Aguero equalises with his second goal of the game.

Also, in take two of the battle of the overrated, Milan and Real Madrid drew, Ronaldinho scored a penalty and is suddenly a great player again (give me a break). Oh, and Bayern Munich, who should really be getting through to the quarters at least with their squad, lost at home to Bordeaux. Bordeaux now qualify, and Bayern have it all to do to pass Juventus.

Then onto tonight. Rafael Benitez needed a win, desperately, and as usual his tactics in Europe were spot on. Liverpool led 1-0 in the 86th minute, and Benitez removed Torres to rest him for all of five minutes. Lo and behold, Lyon equalise. Harsh on Liverpool, maybe, but Daniel Agger should have been sent off.

Arsenal continued their excellent form with a 4-1 drubbing of AZ Alkmaar. Arshavin and Fabregas are their version of Drogba/Lampard and Torres/Gerrard. Arsenal just play better football.

Oh, and Barca drew with Rubin Kazin. Rubin have impressed me in this tournament. They are well organised, skillful and pacey. They let Barca have all the possession in the world, but held a firm defensive line, though that is pretty easy when you only have Ibrahimovic to mark. Barca struggling to qualify.

Brilliant round of games, just a shame it is three weeks until the next ones. If Inter beat Barca, Juventus beat Bordeaux and Fiorentina beat Lyon, we can kiss goodbye to Barca, Bayern Munich and Liverpool. It's going to be a Chelsea vs United or Arsenal final.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back