Jeff Jarrett WWF/WCW

HBsam31

Totally Reeking of Awesomeness
I was watching The Best of Monday Nitro vol 2 last night, and I came across a match with Jeff Jarrett. He was in a feud with Steve McMicheal in what seemed to be over Debra. This was in 1996, and he still had his long blonde hair and his country music gimmick attire from WWF. I didn't realize he had went to WCW during that time. I did some looking and saw that his first stint in WWF was from 1993 to 1996. After that he went to WCW for the years 1996 to 97. Then back to WWF from 97 to 99, and then back to WCW from 99 to 2001 which is the WCW run I am most familiar with. Now I know it was common to jump between promotions then, but he really did some jumping and with not a lot of time in each company. He was always in the mid to upper mid card in WWF holding the IC title and tag title with Owen, and he attained even more success in WCW winning their World title. I remember when Nirto and Raw were simulcasted that Vince mentioned Jarrett specifically in that he would not have a job now that WCW was done, and on his way out he had the defeat to Chyna in the good house keeping match. So what was with all the jumping. Why did he leave WWF in his first run, and why was his stay in WCW so short? Why did he leave WWF the second time, and what bridge did he burn that Vince would never hire him again?

From what I can gather he left the WWF due to his contract expiring. His character was as a country crooner with Road Dogg as his lackey (backup singer). JJ left for a bit in 95 and then came back later in the year, playing that damn song over and over. He had a brief feud in Dec that year I believe, and then just left. I think he feuded with Ahmed Johnson and even had a match at the Rumble. From what I can remember it was a contract dispute....The Roadie (Jesse James) then was shown to be the guy who sang the song and JJ lip synced.

He then went to WCW later that year, after the nWo formed and tried to get in with the Horsemen and had that fairly awful feud with Mongo.

Ultimately it was just a contract issue. He was in USWA or something like that during that time too.

There are a few factors really. The Jarrets in history have rubbed some people in the wrong way. A lot of what Jeff did in switching was simply trying to get over, He wasn't big enough to main event in WWF nor were his promo skills ever good enough. The only Reason he got over in the end of wcw was because of Vince Ruso. If you remember, he, his brother and Vince russo founded TNA around 02 or 03 I guess. Jarret Also says he was run over by the clique in his first run in wwf. This is all information I've gathered and have been able to remember from numerous shoot dvd's.
So pretty much, The switches were trying to get a better deal each time his contract ran out. WCW went through numerous Management changes in the 90's, and what they did for contracts was ******ed. They would give guys a Guaranteed 2 year deal for $2mil and then ultimately they would get paid that to sit at home when creative had nothing for them or they would otherwise be fired. So, pretty much, he switched so many times in hopes to get himself over and probably a lot of business with Vince Russo. I don't think there is any personal beef between Vince McMahon and Jeff Jarret.

If I remember this story right.

The day Jarrett was to drop the IC belt to Chyna a major admin fuck up meant his contract had expired the night before leaving him a free agent. He charged Vince around $1m to compete in the advertised PPV match or walk out. Vince was forced to pay him and never forgot it.

Not sure how true this is.

The day Jarrett was to drop the IC belt to Chyna a major admin fuck up meant his contract had expired the night before leaving him a free agent. He charged Vince around $1m to compete in the advertised PPV match or walk out. Vince was forced to pay him and never forgot it.

This is when he left in 99 for his second stint in WCW. There are a lot of stories out there about this one. It seems that his contract did expire but what he demanded was the remaining pay and his PPV pay up front. And he did put over Chyna, going out there and making her look good.

Stories will vary, but I thought the figure Jarrett demanded was closer to around three hundred thousand dollars than the million dollars, from what I read probably right here on the main page of www.wrestlezone.com back in 1999. A couple of other users posted something near that figure as well. I think KB might have given a personal take on this incident also, in the review of WWF No Mercy (U.S. version) for 1999. Anyway, it was good that he did put Chyna over immensely in that final match he fought for the WWF, although he had been verbally abusing her too much in the weeks prior to the show.

So he held up Vince to appear the PPV and drop the title to Chyna?
It is weird cos i never knew this (if in fact it is true). This is the first time i ever heard this. But no one seems to have a go at him for doing this.
Yet when Warrior did the same thing (for money owed to him), he gets slated by everyone.

Ah the cartoon world of wrestling. LMAO!

If JJ had tried to hold up Vince for a million, Vince would have let him walk and ruined him on the PPV. Seriously? A million, guys, really?

Jeff refused to compete until Vince cut him a cheque for the merch so,d leading up to the expiration of the contract and his PPV money based on projected PPV buys and his contract. Guys typically get paid out for merch a month later and PPV money, above a d beyond downside money, is a month or two after the event. Vince might have lost a few bucks or he actually might have gained, but who knows. The E wasn't public at the time so there is no way to know. The thing I will guarantee is that he didn't get a million. To put it into perspective for you all, Angle got a million to go in against Brock at MANIA (17?) in the main event.

I don't know anything for fact but here's my opinion based on some readings and observations.

Jarrett left WWF for WCW in 1996. I don't know for certain but I can only assume it was for one of those fat guaranteed contracts that Bischoff was handing out to WWF stars in the mid 90s.

Jarrett left WCW for WWF in 1997. I've always thought he was unhappy with how he was being used. Jarrett has always been his biggest fan and he felt his talents should have put him at the top of the card. With the big names at the top of WCW Jarrett probably figured he had a better chance for success in the WWF.

Jarrett left WWF for WCW in 1999. I have also heard that Jarrett held up McMahon for some money and threatened not to work the No Mercy ppv. What is most notable about this is this is right when Vince Russo was leaving WWF for WCW. Russo was always Jarrett's biggest supporter. Even during his Vic Venom days in 1994 Russo always spoke highly of Jarrett in his column in WWF Magazine. I even remember him saying he was going to put a photo of Jarrett in every column even if he wasn't mentioned because Jarrett was that good. It's obvious to me that Russo was very influential in Jarrett leaving for WCW in 1999. I'm sure Russo had a conversation with Jarrett along these lines; "Hey Jeff, I'm going to be in charge at WCW. Come over with me and I'll put you at the top of the card. You'll finally be world champion. Just be sure to get what ever money McMahon owes you before you split."

i wouldnt be shocked if it did happen that way. Russo and Jarrett were very close and rumors were that Russo wanted to push Jeff Jarrett to the WWE title while Vince McMahon wanted it to be Triple H vs. Stone Cold and there were also rumors that Jim Ross didnt consider Jarrett a huge draw. with that said, i do think that when Jarrett returned to WCW in 1999, he was likely informed from Russo that he would be world champion there when the time was right, so of course Jarrett went back to WCW. really my only issue with Jarrett in WCW was his guitar breaking got really stale really quick

That's what I remember, too, although why McMahon would pay a king's ransom to retain the services of a mid-carder for one night is something I never understood. Surely, a "Good Housekeeping" match with Chyna was something WWE could have survived without. Meanwhile, McMahon could have had someone do an interview denouncing Jarrett for "running away from a confrontation with a woman" or something juicy like that. As far as could be seen, that was the incident that caused McMahon to have such distaste for Jarrett from then on.

As to Jeff's jumping back and forth between WCW and WWE during those years, that's one of the crosses a company with true competition has to bear. As I remember, Jarrett kept leaving one company and joining the other because he was living in abject misery, not liking how he was being treated. Then, because there was nowhere else to go, he kept going back to where he had already been. He was a enough of a luminary to keep the companies interested in retaining his services, although each company probably kept hiring him back more to zing the other than because Jeff was so fabulous a catch.

Eventually, he burned enough bridges so that the only way to keep his chosen career going was to start a company of his own.

If that's true, then even Hulk Hogan owes his current employment to ol' Double-J, no?

I remember the Road Dogg/JJ gimmick, but for some reason don't remember his first stint in WCW. I do, however, remember when he came back, he did a shoot promo on RAW.

Jarrett always thought he was bigger than he actually was. JR was right. He wasn't much of a draw. He was good, but he was upper midcard talent at best. I am sure McMahon caved simply due to the fact that a guy wrestling a woman in an actual match never happened at the time. Not that I know of anyway. So his match against Chyna was a fairly talked about match leading into the PPV.

I always joke that Jarrett formed TNA just so he could be world champion of a promotion again.

Double J actually left WWF since his contract expired and told Vince hes going to show up on WcW Monday Night Nitro that monday with the IC Championship. He made Vince pay him $300k (not no 1mil as some tards have said) or else he'd do the same thing Alandra Blaze aka Medusa did to the WWF Womans Championship. So it was either pay Jeff for one day of work for $300k and drop the title to Chyna or he showed up on Nitro to toss the belt in the trash.

why do people gotta post false stuff? do research before posting things.

Double J actually left WWF since his contract expired and told Vince hes going to show up on WcW Monday Night Nitro that monday with the IC Championship. He made Vince pay him $300k (not no 1mil as some tards have said) or else he'd do the same thing Alandra Blaze aka Medusa did to the WWF Womans Championship. So it was either pay Jeff for one day of work for $300k and drop the title to Chyna or he showed up on Nitro to toss the belt in the trash.

why do people gotta post false stuff? do research before posting things.

Good question!

Top guys get paid a million to main event Mania, and yet you claim that JJ a mid card guy, who held a devalued mid card title and who was going to drop it to a women in a stupid gimmick match, got paid 300 K because he threatened to do something that had been done and that could have easily been damage controlled. Why would you invent that?

The reality is that JJ wasn't going to get 300k. He wanted what was left in merch, downside and his PPV bonus. Merch and PPV money are paid on about a month and two month delay respectively. There is no way that in merch, PPV and downside, JJ made 300k for an entire YEAR much less a part if it.

Vince has always had his way of paying guys, and JJ was holding him up to be paid upfront for the money he'd be owed, not 300k. If he had tried to gouge Vince, well, first, Vince would have had the title belt taken away, by asking, then by forcing, then by calling the cops.....so that little fantasy is gone. Next, even if JJ left with the belt, there is always another strap, which would have been showed on PPV and an explanation would have been given. Vince got burned by Medusa and Rick Rude, he would have made Jarrett and WCW look like idiots in advance if he thought there was even a chance of anything screwy.

I don't know how true is this but my understanding is that Jeff Jarrett left the WWF in 1999 and chose not to resign because he felt there was no way he was going to move up with Austin as the top guy. Apparently Jeff Jarrett and Austin were supposed to have a feud down the line (as you may recall after Jerrett won the IC Title at Fully Loaded 1999 Austin came to the ring and Stunned Jeff).

From what I have heard when Austin was still a rookie and Jeff Jarrett was a bigger star at the time, Jeff Jarrett said something to piss Austin off. Jeff could have said anything since in the promotion he was one of the top guys and Austin was still a no name.

Let me find the story. But anyone knows if this is what might have happened?

The fact is, no-one one these message boards will ever know what actually went on when Jarrett and McMahon had their meeting before the No Mercy PPV when Jarrett's contract had expired. I read in an autobiography (Foley's?) that JJ turned up at the arena bragging he didn't have to work that night, and ended up forcing Vince into giving him nearly $250,000 to work against Chyna, which Vince did because of how highly publicised the match was.

However, we don't know for sure. I am pretty certain though that whatever went on in that office that it pissed Vince off enough that there was no chance in hell Jarrett was getting a contract with WWE after WCW closed down. Not a chance. That is why McMahon made specific reference to Jarrett on RAW, saying he was G-O-N-E.

This blacklisting from the WWE definitely had something to do with Jeff and Jerry Jarrett forming TNA, giving JJ a platform to perform again. He has always held himself in very high esteem when in truth he was good, but an upper mid-carder at best in WWE and WCW. There were always others far more talented than him in both companies, and there is no way he should have been WCW Champion other than that he was friends with Russo. In TNA he WAS one of the bigger stars, but booked himself to hold the belt far too long. I am glad he has taken a back seat in recent years, and this has made me look forward to his eventual return, as he is entertaining most of the time. I just hope that damn guitar doesnt come back with him, the plywood guitar shots to the head were outdated in 1999, let alone now!

Since we're on the subject of his No Mercy hostage crisis, I'll let you in on what it came down to:

Jarrett knew when his contract was up, he didn't tell anybody. Russo was pushing for an Austin-Jarrett and Mankind-HHH matches at Summerslam. The big "wrestlezone/wrestleboard" rumors in 1999 was that HHH was going to get the belt at Fully Loaded based upon interference by JJ. Austin, not Good Ol' J.R., didn't want to work Jeff. Austin still held resentment towards Jerry Jarrett (the father, not the brother, of Jeff) over the cheap payoffs for USWA back in 1990.

It was roughly between $300K-$325K. The money involved was based on him working the PPV, the advanced royalties accrued thru merchandise sales from the previous 90 days (merch checks were cut quarterly back then), his PPV bonuses for Unforgiven, Rebellion (UK PPV) and No Mercy, and his plane ticket home.

Vince had no other alternative than to cut him the check. Jarrett will never go on record and say this, but he was FURIOUS about working with Chyna. Jeff was mad that he got busted down from an Upper Midcard slot that he was promised at the time (which, the long standing rumor was on storyline basis, he was filling in what they had Owen penciled in for---not sure if true) and back to Midcard status. It was all on Austin not wanting to work with him, and a power struggle between your top draw, the talent relations director, the head booker and another star. Jeff would have walked onto WCW TV WITH the IC title around his waist.

What it came down to was Russo wanting to push Jarrett, Vince giving the go ahead and Austin refusing. Double J ended up in a feud with Chyna, which come guys, was stupid. He was going to be booked to lose cleanly to a woman for the IC belt. His career in the WWF was over because Austin was never going to let him climb the card.

I will actually dispute the idea that he never could have main evented for the WWF. At that point he actually was drawing great heat, more than he ever would again. His treatment of Debra had turned him into a total heat magnet (Savage/Elizabeth lite) and even helped D'Lo become a major pop machine. An Austin-Jarrett feud would easily have worked, but Austin had issues with both Jeff & Jerry. Jerry because of USWA payouts and Jeff for treating Austin like crap in 1990 or 91 when Austin stopped over in the USWA.

As for the earlier bouncing around, Jarrett got the gig with the WWF in the first place thanks to a working agreement with USWA. He got a dumb gimmick and left because of plans that were put in place that he felt would have embarrassed him.

Since we're on the subject of his No Mercy hostage crisis, I'll let you in on what it came down to:

Jarrett knew when his contract was up, he didn't tell anybody. Russo was pushing for an Austin-Jarrett and Mankind-HHH matches at Summerslam. The big "wrestlezone/wrestleboard" rumors in 1999 was that HHH was going to get the belt at Fully Loaded based upon interference by JJ. Austin, not Good Ol' J.R., didn't want to work Jeff. Austin still held resentment towards Jerry Jarrett (the father, not the brother, of Jeff) over the cheap payoffs for USWA back in 1990.

It was roughly between $300K-$325K. The money involved was based on him working the PPV, the advanced royalties accrued thru merchandise sales from the previous 90 days (merch checks were cut quarterly back then), his PPV bonuses for Unforgiven, Rebellion (UK PPV) and No Mercy, and his plane ticket home.

Vince had no other alternative than to cut him the check. Jarrett will never go on record and say this, but he was FURIOUS about working with Chyna. Jeff was mad that he got busted down from an Upper Midcard slot that he was promised at the time (which, the long standing rumor was on storyline basis, he was filling in what they had Owen penciled in for---not sure if true) and back to Midcard status. It was all on Austin not wanting to work with him, and a power struggle between your top draw, the talent relations director, the head booker and another star. Jeff would have walked onto WCW TV WITH the IC title around his waist.

You think that Jeff, a mid card heel, with virtually no merch, much less stuff people were buying, plus his downside plus his mid card PPV bonus was going to get between 300 and 325 k? Sure, if he got a 200k plane ticket..... Sigh.

People, there is NO WAY Vince paid JJ anything more than maybe 50K. Again, had JJ tried to get more than he was owed, Vibce would have taken the belt, kicked JJ out and then told some humiliating story on the PPV before findings replacement match which would have been far better that the Martha Stewart Special we got.

No, we will never know exactly, but people COMMON FUCKIN SENSE. If JJ was making 300-325K for a quarter, he was making 1.2-1.3 million for the year, which is BS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YKaczOS068

On the Jeff Jarrett: King of The Mountain DVD, Jeff gives his version of this story, saying he made a deal with JR during the day of No Mercy which was an approximation of how much he thought he would make for the past 5 or 6 ppvs. They shook on it and then later in the day Jeff came back to JR and made him double it, claiming that it was payback for reneging on a handshake deal Jarrett had previously made with Ross.

Based on this the $300,000 figure seems realistic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YKaczOS068

On the Jeff Jarrett: King of The Mountain DVD, Jeff gives his version of this story, saying he made a deal with JR during the day of No Mercy which was an approximation of how much he thought he would make for the past 5 or 6 ppvs. They shook on it and then later in the day Jeff came back to JR and made him double it, claiming that it was payback for reneging on a handshake deal Jarrett had previously made with Ross.

Based on this the $300,000 figure seems realistic.

Far be it for JJ to make himself look more important than he was.....lol

Again, even at double, we'd be talking maybe, big maximum, 100k at the most. You guys seriously overestimate what JJ was worth then, as a forgettable mid card guy.

for a mid-carder jarrett sure got a lot of air time in the wwe!!!

no i think you a lot of you have your head so far up vinnie macs ass that you cant see talent when its right in front of you.

Jarret claimed in interviews that the 99 WWE PPV incident was his way of getting his cut of merchandising revenue and PPV payouts BEFORE he left since he would be going right to WCW. There is some back time in how that money is delivered, basically he didnt want to be dealing with WWE trying to figure his payments after he quit. Not sure on the dollar amount he asked for but I highly doubt it was a million, there are only a couple of guys in WWE who make a million plus PER YEAR, by a couple I mean less than six. Vince wasnt paying a career mid carder leaving for the competition that much for one PPV match.

As for the constant switches, I think both companies saw his in ring talent and saw value in getting a guy who was prominent on the other guy's show. However, niether company really saw huge money with Jarrett. If he & Russo were tight and he knew he'd get good treatment on TV then I dont blame him for switching.

Jarrtet vs McMichael is on the 2nd Nitro DVD ?? Someone should start a thread about how bad the match selection was for this DVD and take recomendations for matches that should have been included. I cant think of one Steve McMichael match ever that was above average, except maybe his debut at The Great AM Bash 96 and that was mostly because of Flair & Arn Anderson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back