Its Time for TNA to Die so Impact Wrestling Can Live

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
I’ll freely admit that for years I fought this idea tooth and nail, claiming all along the way that there was built-in equity in the TNA name that they would be unwise to walk away from. I argued that walking away from this equity over what I felt were minor grievances like the TNA acronym hurting the promotion's reputation and ability to negotiate with advertisers and sponsors due to its synonymousness with “tits and ass” was short-sighted and pedantic. I argued that too much time had been spent building up the TNA brand to side-step it in favor of something else that would, in effect, signal another reset. Largely because to that point, or to the various points in time this topic has come up, TNA had already gone through multiple ones, including the half-hearted partial Impact Wrestling rebrand ushered in by Mick Foley back in May of 2011. Well, I was wrong on all counts. To varying degrees depending on which aspect we're talking about, but wrong nonetheless.

It's time for the TNA brand to die so the Impact Wrestling brand can live. Not because it garners lewd mental pictures of scantily clad women. It might to advertisers who know absolutely nothing about the wrestling business who've somehow managed to find themselves on a call with TNA's front office in spite of this fact — a situation not likely to occur. Not because it would signal another reset. We've seen plenty of those in one manner or another, and they've held a trademark on the "Impact Wrestling" name since 2011. Fans and advertisers alike already know what "Impact Wrestling" is, so there's no year zero reset happening if they were to operate under this name and this name alone. No, it's time for the TNA brand to die so the Impact Wrestling brand can live because that built-in equity I mentioned above is gone. It's completely evaporated. The lake is dried and the soil is cracked from the scorching sun. That equity they did have is gone in the eyes of the fans who've largely left TNA in the dust. Not just the fans who TNA was trying to bring in to raise the profile of the company, but even the one million (give or take) that would tune in every week on Spike. The name TNA is synonymous with failure. It's synonymous with Dixie Carter. It's synonymous with Hulk Hogan, Eric Bischoff, Immortal, EV2.0, Vince Russo, Abyssamania, Orlando Jordan, Sean Morley, Brooke Hogan, Clair Lynch, Jenna Morasca, Jesse Sorensen's broken neck, Victory Road 2011, Pacman Jones, Bubba the Lovesponge (good God did Hogan have run of show or what!?), Destination America, and everything else that's gone wrong under Carter's watch in the last eleven years.

I can't deny that the Impact Wrestling name is still mildly tainted by or with the same residue of TNA's failures, but with a full embrace of it, and only it, I still think that coupled with a potential exit of Dixie Carter from the company and with Billy Corgan as the second only President in their history, there's an opportunity here they can't afford to miss to truly, finally, emphatically reset and rebound. When you account for the actual talent on the roster and with the amount of turnover they've now undergone with so few "TNA originals" left, in a way, there's never been a better opportunity for them to completely reinvent themselves. But it starts with shedding their tumultuous past, and that starts with shedding the TNA name.

In Billy We Trust.

I feel they should have changed the name to Impact Wrestling after the company reboot. TNA sounds like a titty bar reality show. It just shows that there is no one running the company with any business sense let alone wrestling sense. They don't do a single thing right.

I can't say I watch TNA with regularity, mostly for a lot of the reasons IDR mentioned, but I've been giving some peeks lately and things seem like they are getting better. The announcing is awful, mostly Matthews, but the story lines are okay and they have solid talent. There are some guys who are WWE cast offs like Lashley, Matt, and Jeff, but a lot of their talent is either guys like EC3 who WWE never really gave a chance to, or guys who have never worked for a bigger promotion with a handful of guys like Bennet. For the first time in a long time I don't feel like I'm watching the WWE retirement home hour.

I think a soft reboot could work wonders. There was a big discussion on another site a couple days ago about this very topic and while there were good points made for keeping the TNA for the brand recognition, I think that what people recognize when they see TNA isn't all that great. Going from TNA to Impact Wrestling would still retain some of the name value, while signifying that the company is ready to move forward. They could even keep the website name.

I think if Dixie is going to be phased out completely, it would be for the best. Corgan is an admitted wrestling fan and I hope he has what it takes to keep the company afloat and give people an alternative.

All that said, a name change isn't going to be a cure all. They have to consistently keep improving and show the fans that they aren't going to let them down. Corgan is a good step, but a lot of fans have been burned by TNA far too often, and I feel the chances are running out to show they want to improve.

I can't say I watch TNA with regularity, mostly for a lot of the reasons IDR mentioned, but I've been giving some peeks lately and things seem like they are getting better. The announcing is awful, mostly Matthews, but the story lines are okay and they have solid talent. There are some guys who are WWE cast offs like Lashley, Matt, and Jeff, but a lot of their talent is either guys like EC3 who WWE never really gave a chance to, or guys who have never worked for a bigger promotion with a handful of guys like Bennet. For the first time in a long time I don't feel like I'm watching the WWE retirement home hour.

I think a soft reboot could work wonders. There was a big discussion on another site a couple days ago about this very topic and while there were good points made for keeping the TNA for the brand recognition, I think that what people recognize when they see TNA isn't all that great. Going from TNA to Impact Wrestling would still retain some of the name value, while signifying that the company is ready to move forward. They could even keep the website name.

I think if Dixie is going to be phased out completely, it would be for the best. Corgan is an admitted wrestling fan and I hope he has what it takes to keep the company afloat and give people an alternative.

All that said, a name change isn't going to be a cure all. They have to consistently keep improving and show the fans that they aren't going to let them down. Corgan is a good step, but a lot of fans have been burned by TNA far too often, and I feel the chances are running out to show they want to improve.

The name change isn't the cure-all. There is no cure-all. Not even a massive influx of capital would serve as one. What the name change could represent, however, is progress. Combined with the refreshed roster, key free agent signings, the potential for Carter's exit and Billy Corgan as the new President, there's enough there for a reset with more purpose than they've ever given a reset in their past.

The name change isn't the cure-all. There is no cure-all. Not even a massive influx of capital would serve as one. What the name change could represent, however, is progress. Combined with the refreshed roster, key free agent signings, the potential for Carter's exit and Billy Corgan as the new President, there's enough there for a reset with more purpose than they've ever given a reset in their past.

That I totally agree with. For once the potential of a reset feels like it will mean something.

Like I said, since Billy took over, even though it was only a few weeks ago, I have noticed that when I do tune in the show seems better, and as a wrestling fan I can only hope the trend continues.

Some of the stuff with Matt and Jeff is getting old, but The Final Deletion brought my eyes back to the product, so in a way that worked as well.

Personally I just hope Eddie stays in the main event scene through all this. I love The Wolves and enjoy seeing Eddie being made a threat to a guy like Lashley.

Even with the lose of guys like Aries and Roode this roster still has plenty of potential and some key moves moving forward could really go along way in the company elevating itself to the next level.

Guys like EC3, Lashley, Galloway, Bennett, Moose, and now Aron Rex are going to be main event players moving forward, but they need to get more out of guys like Tyrus and Eli Drake.

The X-Division help put the company on the map but right now this is the weakest the division has ever been they need more X-Division athletes to strengthen division.

I would love to see them partner with ROH Wrestling because there are some great advantages to being able to cross promote and they could feature ROH talent like Jay Lethal, Adam Cole, Dalton Castle, and the Briscoe Brothers routinely. Also , they need to go after the big free agents like a Cody Rhodes.

On a final note the commentary does need to be upgraded because that is a huge reason people will tune in or not, if Eli Drake is not an in ring talent he should be added to the commentary table.

Welcome to the correct side of the argument. A wrestling company doesn't need a great name, but the TNA name is a drag on the company. Impact Wrestling is just fine.

Will TNA, excuse me, Impact Wrestling survive without PAnda Energy's money supporting Dixie Carter's ego? We'll see. I hope so.

That said, at this point, I wouldn't make a big deal of the rebranding. Just quietly drop "TNA" off of everything, without holding a press conference or a tweetstorm about it. Dixie Carter out, Billy Corgan in is worth selling. That's new enough to maybe get people to take a look at Impact again. "TNA --> Impact" isn't going to get that reaction, because it's already been done in a halfassed manner. Reaction is more, didn't they do that a few years ago and it didn't stick?

IF they ever build up to the point where they can bring back some TNA originals, then that can be the basis for a faction war with an actual point, "TNA guys" vs "Impact guys." OR maybe they don't have to have faction wars constantly?

Although I agree that TNA should make way for Impact Wrestling, I do have one option that may or may not work in their favor. Since they “stole” so much from the WWE over the course of their run, why not steal just one more idea…one more big idea. What about TNA and Impact splitting up as brands?? You can have TNA Wrestling on Wednesday nights and Impact Wrestling on Thursday nights. I’d like to expand on this idea, but I’d like to see everyone’s opinions first to see if it’s even worth exploring.

Raw = Red = TNA led by Dixie Carter
Smackdown = Blue = Impact led by Billy Corgan

What do you think??

What about TNA and Impact splitting up as brands?? You can have TNA Wrestling on Wednesday nights and Impact Wrestling on Thursday nights. I’d like to expand on this idea, but I’d like to see everyone’s opinions first to see if it’s even worth exploring.

Raw = Red = TNA led by Dixie Carter
Smackdown = Blue = Impact led by Billy Corgan

What do you think??

I think you are on drugs, this is a company that has reportedly been on the verge of closing on more than one occasion in the past.

The name 'TNA' has never really bothered me, I can understand why people would say that it doesn't help the product but each to their own, nothing some advertising of your product wouldn't help.

If they are going to change the name then Total Impact Wrestling or Global Impact Wrestling is fine, it doesn't change much away from the name like WWE changed from WWF.

One thing that's refreshing about TNA at the minute is that although Aries, Roode etc. have all left it's like a new era has come to the fore & the roster seems to have the right mix if not missing one or two tag & x-division talents.

If TNA could actually advertise, get a couple more PPV's on the go & hold tapings in different venues then hopefully they can run without financial problems in the future.

TNA absolutely has to go, but "Impact Wrestling" doesn't sound like the name of a company, it sounds like the name of a show. I know it's standard thinking, but they really need something with a name that has a 3 letter acronym that can be chanted.

WWF, WWE, NWA, WCW, NXT, ECW, ROH, TNA, AWA, GFW, PWG, etc. etc. It's the standard because it works, and the bonus is it would have absolutely no mental association with TNA, because for most fans Impact and TNA are one in the same. They can keep the name of their flagship show as Impact if they want, but I think doing this would be a big move in the right direction, and while they're at it, 4 sided ring.

WWWF became WWF became WWE, and it didn't kill the business, you might say it even improved with each change, so I don't think TNA has anything to fear by making the change. They have been on the verge of going under so many times, I think this could only help. It's a strange psychological effect, but there have been plenty of instances of sports teams getting a new stadium, or a logo/uniform change, and all of a sudden they start winning, it's truly a morale booster, because it feels like a cleansing of any negative stigma that was associated with the old brand.

It's true a name change alone won't fix their problems but what they really need is some bigger name wrestlers. They have talent on the roster but they need some known names to attract more than just the niche crowd. You can't grow if no one knows who your wrestlers are.

Frankly TNA is a name that has NEVER worked. There was never not a good time to get rid of it. It always kept some fans away. And Dixie was a dumb dumb to not realise it.

When they were NWA-TNA, I wish they wouldget rid of the "TNA" but they instead got rid of NWA. They could have modified their name at that time for Total (non-stop) Action Wrestling.

When Hogan came in, after they added the "wrestling" to Impact there an opportunity there. The Bischoff regime started to promote the name of the show more, like they wanted to distance themselves from "TNA" and it was a good idea.

Personally I wanted them to rebrand themselves when they went they left Spike cause it was a good moment to change the perceptions since TNA was doing badly since 2013.

But time and time again they resisted. Maybe it's cause Ditzy was found of the name whatever.

But now, their company itself was renamed Impact Holdings or something. (spoiler) We've heard rumblings on the net of Billy Corgan introducing the "Impact Grand Title". All the elements are there to pull the plug on the TNA name for good.

And finally now that Corgan is President, he could do it. I wonder why he hasn't done it, though? Is it a legal issue? I don't know. Maybe he is waiting to make the change at BFG with a "new beginning"? The guy is smart as Hell for sure he has thought about this.

TNA definitely needs to stop calling themselves "TNA". If you're familiar with the product, you're familiar with the acronym; if not, you're expecting Tits N' Ass. You don't advertise yourself as Stoner's Pot Palace and then sell kitchen supplies; TNA isn't trying to win viewers by parading around scantily clad women. (Although to Joesgonnakillyou's credit, they are getting some viewers excited by parading around scantily clad men.)

That being said, a name change really isn't a major factor in any TNA rebuilding project; it's a thing that needs to happen, but you aren't going to bring in any extra viewers by making that name change. The hot line in this thread seems to be "TNA needs to do ___________ to fix their problems"; take it from the guy who spent much of the past seven years criticizing TNA's business decisions, TNA's been doing everything right lately and playing their limited hand very well. The existential threat to TNA's existence is no longer a negative P/R ratio; the major threat to TNA is the ongoing contraction of cable offerings which threatens the existence of the channel they're airing on. If enough people aren't watching PoPTV, there's no reason for cable companies to continue purchasing it (which goes back to 'why can't I watch TNA in my market- because your cable company hasn't purchased PoPTV because they don't see the point.)

I said during the Destination America fiasco last year that TNA wasn't dead yet, but they were going to need something just short of a miracle to survive; they pulled off a Miracle. Now comes a period of time where they won't be able to make any drastic audience gains, and their main goal will be to present themselves as a stable company which a larger cable conglomorate would want to add to their listings. Rebranding to Impact Wrestling (or something, almost anything else than TNA) is one of those necessary steps back to respectability.

I say that nothing, a name change, influx of talent, nothing will save TNA and Impact Wrestling long-term.

I am actually surprised that it has lasted this long. For a company doing so many things wrong, it is amazing that it is still around.

Look, wrestling these days is a party of one-WWE. There is no WCW or ECW any more, and they had more chance and did more right than TNA ever did, and they both failed against the House of McMahon.

I tip, sooner or later, that TNA will fold, and Vince McMahon will buy the rights to it, so that he can have the archival footage for promos and to show on the Network. All TNA PPVs will be offered along with WWE, WCW and ECW PPVs to watch on the Network.

Vince will sign some of their talent away too. EC3 will probably be used in NXT initially. The Hardys, who lost a lot of cred, now have marketability with the "Broken Matt Hardy, Brother Nero, Final Deletion" storyline. I think Kurt Angle could be re-signed by WWE, since they would have footage of him from both WWE and TNA.

Look, it's going to happen. In this current enviroment, there isn't room in the industry for too many companies. Places like ROH work because they stay small, and don't lose money hand over fist. TNA makes too many mistakes to remain solvent long-term.

I think that TNA is a house of cards which depends on the success of Panda Energy to finance it. If Panda ever struggled, or pulled out, TNA would die.

It will happen one day. It will be a shame, but my sadness will be wiped away from watching the "Final Deletion" or "Angle v Styles 60-Minute Ironman Match" on WWE Network in the future.

I think that TNA is a house of cards which depends on the success of Panda Energy to finance it. If Panda ever struggled, or pulled out, TNA would die.

I'm glad you're keeping your shitposts fresh, because Panda Energy divested from TNA in 2012. As a private company there is no public record of ownership transfers, but Dixie Carter has been gradually selling pieces of her stake, most importantly to Aroluxe Marketing and Billy Corgan, and it is unlikely right now that there is a single controlling ownership interest in TNA right now.

Getting with the times, TNA has drastically, drastically, drastically reduced their expenditures by taping months of content in one shot, and Aroluxe makes significant money by acting as the talent agent for many TNA performers. From all appearances, right now they are a self-sufficient company. They aren't making anyone rich, but they are bucking the odds and not making their owners poor.

I'm glad you're keeping your shitposts fresh, because Panda Energy divested from TNA in 2012. As a private company there is no public record of ownership transfers, but Dixie Carter has been gradually selling pieces of her stake, most importantly to Aroluxe Marketing and Billy Corgan, and it is unlikely right now that there is a single controlling ownership interest in TNA right now.

Getting with the times, TNA has drastically, drastically, drastically reduced their expenditures by taping months of content in one shot, and Aroluxe makes significant money by acting as the talent agent for many TNA performers. From all appearances, right now they are a self-sufficient company. They aren't making anyone rich, but they are bucking the odds and not making their owners poor.

There's only so long that they can keep afloat doing that, though.

Look at ECW. It was more popular than TNA ever was, didn't spend heaps of money, and did a lot of things other companies later copied, yet it still went under eventually, and got bought by WWE.

Look at WCW. It was on par with WWE, and even beat it in the ratings for 83 weeks straight. Their NWO storyline was the hottest thing at the time, beating whatever WWE had to offer. Yet, it too, soon met its maker and was bought by WWE.

Sooner or later, TNA will suffer the same fate. One day, TNA will be an option for PPVs to watch, along with WWE, WCW and ECW past PPVs. "Impact" will appear on the Network like Nitro, ECW Hardcore TV, WCCW, Smoky Mountain and a number of others before it.

There's only so long that they can keep afloat doing that, though.

Look at ECW. It was more popular than TNA ever was, didn't spend heaps of money, and did a lot of things other companies later copied, yet it still went under eventually, and got bought by WWE.

Look at WCW. It was on par with WWE, and even beat it in the ratings for 83 weeks straight. Their NWO storyline was the hottest thing at the time, beating whatever WWE had to offer. Yet, it too, soon met its maker and was bought by WWE.

Sooner or later, TNA will suffer the same fate. One day, TNA will be an option for PPVs to watch, along with WWE, WCW and ECW past PPVs. "Impact" will appear on the Network like Nitro, ECW Hardcore TV, WCCW, Smoky Mountain and a number of others before it.
Yes, "can a #2 promotion succeed on television in the era of a dominant WWE" is a question people have now been discussing for the past decade on this board. I think I first saw the "but WCW" line in 2009. Did you pull a Futurama and fall into a cryogenisis chamber for a few years?

If Paul Heyman was running TNA on television from a bingo hall in Philadelphia, bringing up ECW might be relevant to the discussion. But what you're trying to do is say that because something happened twice, it must always happen; I encourage you to flip coins for a bit if the foolishness of that statement is not immediately apparent. What you need to do, providing anything relevant to the ongoing meta discussion over #2 televised promotions, is provide thoughts as to why you think TNA will eventually have their library bought out by the WWE.

"Because they will" is a line that has been going around for a decade, so at this point I feel that if people are going to declare that TNA is going to die, a discussion of potential failure points is probably merited.

"Because they will" is a line that has been going around for a decade, so at this point I feel that if people are going to declare that TNA is going to die, a discussion of potential failure points is probably merited.

It's not just that ECW and WCW died. It's also Jim Crockett (sold to Turner for a reason), Georgia, Florida, AWA, WCCW, Memphis, Jerry Jarrett, UWF and some others. It's very, very hard to keep a pro wrestling promotion on some semblance of national TV. McMahon and the WWE machine have done it, running a TV show, a constant live tour, a merchandise shop and now the WWE Network. Nobody else has. Heyman, Bischoff, Turner, Crockett, the Andersons, Tunney, Flair, Hogan, Bockwinkel--nobody.

TNA has beaten the odds so far, surviving 14 years--more than anyone since pro wrestling went national but WWF/WWE. They're (maybe) not losing money anymore, but they've definitely had years when they did. They've been dropped by two networks in two years. Without a deep-pockets backer to cover the bad years, their survival will always be a question mark.

It's not just that ECW and WCW died. It's also Jim Crockett (sold to Turner for a reason), Georgia, Florida, AWA, WCCW, Memphis, Jerry Jarrett, UWF and some others. It's very, very hard to keep a pro wrestling promotion on some semblance of national TV. McMahon and the WWE machine have done it, running a TV show, a constant live tour, a merchandise shop and now the WWE Network. Nobody else has. Heyman, Bischoff, Turner, Crockett, the Andersons, Tunney, Flair, Hogan, Bockwinkel--nobody.

TNA has beaten the odds so far, surviving 14 years--more than anyone since pro wrestling went national but WWF/WWE. They're (maybe) not losing money anymore, but they've definitely had years when they did. They've been dropped by two networks in two years. Without a deep-pockets backer to cover the bad years, their survival will always be a question mark.
We are all aware that TNA had some very, very bad times, and suffered a lot of unnecessary self-inflicted wounds. I should know; I've been one of the biggest critics of their business 'plan' over the past several years. But as one of those massively large critics, I also owe it to TNA to bring up when they're doing shit right. Last year in September, if you had given me even odds of TNA being out of business, I would have grabbed that bet. (Speaking of bets, hey, Joesgonnakillu. Matt Taven.) They've pulled off what should be recognized as an honest-to-God miracle in actually growing their audience after switching to a network people did not even know existed prior to TNA.

TNA's survival will probably always be a question mark, which is why the "can TNA survive/thrive" has been a topic of discussion on these boards at least as long as I've been here. But today, the question marks (for a change) aren't internal to TNA, but they are external factors TNA has little control over.

They've pulled off what should be recognized as an honest-to-God miracle in actually growing their audience after switching to a network people did not even know existed prior to TNA.

This is true. They've done good stuff lately. But....

TNA's survival will probably always be a question mark,

Which is all I was saying.

which is why the "can TNA survive/thrive" has been a topic of discussion on these boards at least as long as I've been here. But today, the question marks (for a change) aren't internal to TNA, but they are external factors TNA has little control over.

They also have less margin for error than they did when they were backed by Panda and were an extension of Dixie's ego. No matter how much Billy Corgan and the Harris Brothers want to keep TNA^K^K^K Impact alive, their daddies don't have the cash to keep them afloat if they're losing serious money.

If TNA were showing even a tiny profit, I don't think Dixie CArter sells out for Aeroluxe or Smashing Pumpkins-level money.

This is true. They've done good stuff lately. But....

Which is all I was saying.

They also have less margin for error than they did when they were backed by Panda and were an extension of Dixie's ego. No matter how much Billy Corgan and the Harris Brothers want to keep TNA^K^K^K Impact alive, their daddies don't have the cash to keep them afloat if they're losing serious money.

If TNA were showing even a tiny profit, I don't think Dixie CArter sells out for Aeroluxe or Smashing Pumpkins-level money.

Are we just stating obvious things now? That's sort of the case for any business, and what was so unusual about 2009-2012 TNA; they had a backer that was willing to lose a fair sized chunk of money.

If you're trying to say "their eventual survival is a question mark", that's sort of the general case for everything that exists.

Are we just stating obvious things now?

Often, yes.

That's sort of the case for any business, and what was so unusual about 2009-2012 TNA; they had a backer that was willing to lose a fair sized chunk of money.

They had Panda, and Spike, willing to put money into the product hoping for a return. As far as we can tell, Spike/Viacom paid Sting, Angle, Hogan, Bischoff and maybe some others I'm forgetting. Dallas financed the losses in the early years.

If you're trying to say "their eventual survival is a question mark", that's sort of the general case for
everything that exists.

True. It's also truer the smaller your effective cash reserve is and the smaller your profit margin is. If Impact (or, say, the WNBA) closes up shop this year or next, no one will be shocked. If WWE (or the NBA) shuts down, that's a huge surprise. OTOH, if you tell me WWE shuts down 15-20 years from now, that's well within the realm of possibility.

EDIT: Maybe I'm being unclear or obtuse, but I don't think we disagree very much.

There is a negative stigma behind the TNA name, no doubt about it. However, there is some of the same when you think of Impact Wrestling as well. I harken back to when they were relaunching as Impact years ago, when they were advertising all over, including in close proximity with WWE headquarters. I get what IDR is saying though. It could be a step in the right direction. But it's one small step. You can't, or won't, forget all the bad decisions that have occurred throughout the years. From what I'm seeing now, they're making attempts to get it right here and there. Their work is still cut out for them.

Are we just stating obvious things now? That's sort of the case for any business, and what was so unusual about 2009-2012 TNA; they had a backer that was willing to lose a fair sized chunk of money.

If you're trying to say "their eventual survival is a question mark", that's sort of the general case for everything that exists.

WTF??????? You really go out of your way to make yourself look like a horses arse eh? You definitely are not the sharpest knife. Maybe I should make a bet with you that Matt Taven will appear in TNA in 2017?

If he appears anytime during 2017 you delete your account and go away. Better yet, I'm sure the mods can do an IP ban for the loser. Do you accept the bet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back