Would Impact Championship Wrestling be a Good Name for TNA to Change to?

Daggdag

Dark Match Winner
A lot of people want to see TNA change their name permanently. With them already using the Impact Wrestling brand as their weekly show, it makes sense to still with the Impact name. Impact Championship Wrestlling has a good ring to it.

This is just my perception but adding 'Championship Wrestling' to Impact will make it look more like WCW than it is already perceived to be by most.

Adding "Championship" just sounds terrible. Sorry, but it really does. Not to mention that "ICW" is already a company over in the UK, so...no.

That quite possibly sounds like the most bland name for a professional wrestling organization that could be made. It's like you took the existing alternate title, "Impact Wrestling", and said "you know what would make this complete and really sell my concept, is adding the word 'Championship'".

"Total Non-Stop Action" is a pretty fucking lousy title for an organization, always has been, always will be. It's not clever, it's lowest common denominator where its fans quickly learn to ignore the association the acronym has. But it does have the advantage of name cache; as awful as the title is, it does have name recognition. If you're going to rebrand to something like "Impact Championship Wrestling", you might as well go whole hog and call it "Professional Championship Wrestling", or "Televised Professional Wrestling".

A lot of people want to see TNA change their name permanently. With them already using the Impact Wrestling brand as their weekly show, it makes sense to still with the Impact name. Impact Championship Wrestlling has a good ring to it.

No. I don't like the name change.

The funny part about this is that when TNA was producing great, match of the year candidates like Samoa Joe vs AJ Styles of Christopher Daniels vs AJ Styles back in the day. Nobody had a problem with the TNA name. Everybody chanted "TNA, TNA" simply because back in the day, TNA was producing great matches.

Now, since TNA has been on a slump for the past couple of yeas, the TNA name is a bad thing and needs to be changed.

TNA Wrestling is a good name. Stick with it because it's a good name and more people in the general public are affiliating TNA with wrestling and not the other stuff. So, they did a great job establishing that brand.

I quite like the name "Impact Championship Wrestling", even if there are other promotions that use the same initials.

I think the problem would lie with it being another name change for the company, it would just get confusing with people. I like the company and even I am a bit confused with what the actual name of the company is- is it still TNA? Or has it changed totally to Impact Wrestling? I honestly don't know.

The company is only 12 years old and has already been known as

NWA:TNA
TNA
Impact Wrestling

Thats 3 names in such a short period of time, they really are ruining the brand identity if they keep renaming the same company again and again. I would prefer them to just use 1 name and stick with it.

"TNA Impact Wrestling" is the one they should use.

I would prefer to call it Impact Wrestling Championship. It would be a little nod (or a jab) to the Internet Wrestling Community.

This topic has already been covered in the thread on Russo talking about how TNA need to drop the "T&A". As I said there:

I used to be one of those "built-in-equity" people, and working in Marketing, I can tell you that re-branding a company is one of the most expensive, labor-intensive paths you can take as an owner. That's a lot of dime out of your pocket to re-brand everything from your show graphics to your t-shirts to the coasters you made, to the stickers you had printed, etc. In fact, for a wrestling company, this is even worse, because literally every t-shirt and every piece of collateral they've ever had printed up is now useless and of zero value. You can sell it off at a discount rate so as not to eat the total cost yourself, but ultimately, everything needs to be re-printed with the new graphics, the new logo, etc.

I have no idea what the budget would be for an undertaking like this, so to me, this conversation would have to be had on two very different platforms — public perception/reaction and financial burden where the two aren't actually mutually exclusive. Slippery slope there.

For our purposes as fans, it's an interesting concept considering this type of "fresh start" the company is looking at and pumping up for January 2015. I do agree with one thing Russo has to say here, and that's that this is absolutely the prime opportunity to do so. You are transitioning to a new network with new graphics and everything, so there's simply never been a more appropriate time to tag along and attach a rider like this to the new bill.

The real question for me isn't whether TNA should or shouldn't do it, rather whether they can even afford to in the first place. Presuming they can, and would, should they even entertain the idea, or is there still "built in equity" in the existing TNA brand that can be used to foot the new house build? That question still hasn't been answered, and I'm not sure it can be. Not by us, at least.

The funny part about this is that when TNA was producing great, match of the year candidates like Samoa Joe vs AJ Styles of Christopher Daniels vs AJ Styles back in the day. Nobody had a problem with the TNA name. Everybody chanted "TNA, TNA" simply because back in the day, TNA was producing great matches.

Now, since TNA has been on a slump for the past couple of yeas, the TNA name is a bad thing and needs to be changed.

TNA Wrestling is a good name. Stick with it because it's a good name and more people in the general public are affiliating TNA with wrestling and not the other stuff. So, they did a great job establishing that brand.

The issue people have with the TNA name is the sexual inuendo. "Tits N Ass". There are some sponsors who would have no problem working with a wrestling company that get turned off by the name because it makes the brand sound overly sexualized.

I don't think it would be a bad name choice in particular. I think it would be better than TNA. I however think that Impact Wrestling Championships would be better. It allows them to play off the IWC acronym.

I quite like the name "Impact Championship Wrestling", even if there are other promotions that use the same initials.

I think the problem would lie with it being another name change for the company, it would just get confusing with people. I like the company and even I am a bit confused with what the actual name of the company is- is it still TNA? Or has it changed totally to Impact Wrestling? I honestly don't know.

The company is only 12 years old and has already been known as

NWA:TNA
TNA
Impact Wrestling

Thats 3 names in such a short period of time, they really are ruining the brand identity if they keep renaming the same company again and again. I would prefer them to just use 1 name and stick with it.

"TNA Impact Wrestling" is the one they should use.

If you are gonna call it "TNA Impact Wrestling", might as well shorten the name, create one name from the whole thing, use the "Total" from TNA and name the promotion "Total Impact Wrestling", would be a nod to different eras.

As for the choice from the OP, I think "Impact Wrestling Championship" is pretty decent, I always loved the words "championship wrestling" together, it just sounds great. And would also not mind the change of "championship" and "wrestling" for a nod to the IWC.

But personally? I would use the fact that they were going to Destination America to re-brand and use patritotism as some sort of marketing tool by having everything being red, white and blue and find a name that can accentuate that. TNA has used the name "Global Impact" before so it has history with them and if you use the "G" before "Impact Wresling" it gives you GIW or rather G.I. Wrestling. Wich would fit. Of course officially the name would be Global Impact Wrestling, which is a nice name to begin with but it would be promoted most of the time as GI Wrestling.

(it may annoy some cause of the fact that there's another fed using the word "Global" but you cannot be bothered by what others might or might not do)

You really think the majority of people when tna is brought up think of wrestling. Your delusional. Tna is seen by only 1 million people a week. Theirs way more a day that just look up t&a videos. Thats why they had to change their companys name.....because of sponsorships. If u didnt watch wrestling and you were mr nabisco would you sponsor a show called tna? And the biggest problem now is the lack of a sigular brand. I mean the casuals hear someone say tna then they try to find it on tv and theirs impact wrestling......its too confusing for somene only mildly interested in the product.

If you are gonna call it "TNA Impact Wrestling", might as well shorten the name, create one name from the whole thing, use the "Total" from TNA and name the promotion "Total Impact Wrestling", would be a nod to different eras.

As for the choice from the OP, I think "Impact Wrestling Championship" is pretty decent, I always loved the words "championship wrestling" together, it just sounds great. And would also not mind the change of "championship" and "wrestling" for a nod to the IWC.

But personally? I would use the fact that they were going to Destination America to re-brand and use patritotism as some sort of marketing tool by having everything being red, white and blue and find a name that can accentuate that. TNA has used the name "Global Impact" before so it has history with them and if you use the "G" before "Impact Wresling" it gives you GIW or rather G.I. Wrestling. Wich would fit. Of course officially the name would be Global Impact Wrestling, which is a nice name to begin with but it would be promoted most of the time as GI Wrestling.

(it may annoy some cause of the fact that there's another fed using the word "Global" but you cannot be bothered by what others might or might not do)

Yeah, that's not gonna happen, for one painfully obvious reason — Jeff Jarrett's "Global Force Wrestling" — that "other fed" using the word. And yes, you can be bothered by it, and should. The same as WWE would be bothered by it if TNA decided to re-name themselves World Impact Entertainment.

Even with GFW not actually having a real solid foothold in terms of television, etc. just yet, the fact they exist, and the fact they have Jarrett behind them is all you need to know about why using "Global" period is a non-starter, though I give you credit on trying to tie it to the G.I./America thing.

Ultimately there are easier ways to pay tribute to the U.S. and still play off the Destination America thing – one example being to simply change the rope scheme from all red or all blue to red, white and blue. In fact, they did it years ago for a Victory Road PPV, I believe.

I still say the simplest thing to do would be to clearly label the television show so that it's distinguished from the company name. The company name would remain TNA (Total Non-Stop Action), where as the show itself carries the IMPACT name. Whether that's IMPACT Wrestling (don't get me started on the redundancy of TNA Wrestling presents IMPACT Wrestling), or Wednesday Night Impact (a personal favorite), or just IMPACT. Doesn't much matter, I suppose, but the equity is still there with the TNA acronym, love it or hate it, so I'd be selling potential marketing companies on the IMPACT product, not necessarily the name of the company.

"Advertise on IMPACT", not "Advertise with TNA". Semantics? Sure. But it might be all the difference.

Well the main problem with calling it global would be it sounds like they are purposely ripping off of Jeff Jarret. That could lead to issues. Jarret is still on good terms with many in TNA, and if they are something with him, it could lead to much of the talent jumping to GFW.

I don't think a name change would be bad. Some ideas I have:
- Impact Pro Wrestling
- Impact Wrestling Association
- Impact Wrestling Federation
- Total Impact Wrestling
- National Championship Wrestling (complete re-brand playing on Destination America)

Or simply leave it as-is.

Well the main problem with calling it global would be it sounds like they are purposely ripping off of Jeff Jarret. That could lead to issues. Jarret is still on good terms with many in TNA, and if they are something with him, it could lead to much of the talent jumping to GFW.

I don't think anybody would jump ship to JJ's company since they are almost non-existant. Secondly, I don't think there's any type of goodwill between JJ and TNA considering the way they refused to let Mike Tenay do the New Japan show. I'm pretty sure JJ hates Dixie at this point. If anything I'm sure Dixie finding a way to damages Jeff's company would make her happy.

But all this name change would have had to happen before the New Japan show and before TNA appeared on Destination America so that they look like the complete package of the show, promotion and TV channel being in synch as a concept. Plus cause it would have given time for someone in the TNA offices to phone Jeff Jarrett and tell him "look, we apologizes but we've decided to use "Global" in our name, it just fits what we want to accomplish here. It has nothing to do with you. If you want to find another name for your company, we'll publicly publish a thank you note on our website, explaining the whole thing". Now imagine Jeff changing his company name to Total Force Wrestling :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back