It's Official TNA Moves to Destination America in January of 2015!

Fuck. I don't think I have this channel. My Time Warner bill is already high enough, I think I'd need to go up a tier to get this. Why do I need the preferred package to get a discovery channel???

Great to see TNA has a tv home for 2015. I have checked and I do have the channel. Look forward to watching in January. Hopefully they promote this tonight during their last episode on Spike.

Here's the official press release:

DISCOVERY COMMUNICATIONS ACQUIRES EXCLUSIVE BROADCAST RIGHTS TO TOP PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING LEAGUE, TNA IMPACT WRESTLING, FOR DESTINATION AMERICA

(Silver Spring, Md.) – Discovery Communications announced today that it has signed a multi-year deal with TNA (Total Nonstop Action) IMPACT WRESTLING to bring the popular league to homes nationwide on Destination America, the only network dedicated to celebrating the people, places and stories of the United States.

Destination America officially enters the ring with its first world premiere of IMPACT WRESTLING in January 2015. The series features some of the biggest names in professional wrestling, including Jeff Hardy, Bobby Roode, Kurt Angle, Bobby Lashley and Gail Kim.

The partnership includes the U.S. premieres of additional TNA WRESTLING series and specials and provides Discovery Communications with international broadcasting rights in select regions, to be announced at a later date.

“Our partnership in this uniquely entertaining franchise with TNA IMPACT WRESTLING provides a significant addition to Destination America’s programming strategy,” said Henry Schleiff, Group President of Destination America, Investigation Discovery, American Heroes Channel, Discovery Fit & Health and Discovery Family Channel. “The enduring, cross-generational enthusiasm of pro wrestling is felt by millions of fans around the country, from coast-to-coast and throughout the heartland. We are delighted to bring this beloved American pastime to the one and only network dedicated to celebrating the unique spirit of the U.S., Destination America.”

“Our knockout partnership with TNA IMPACT WRESTLING continues Destination America’s mission of bringing our viewers the best of all-American entertainment, and going center ring with one of the world’s foremost professional wrestling leagues fits perfectly within our DNA,” said Marc Etkind, general manager of Destination America. “Wrestling has created a fiercely loyal, passionate and widespread fan base, and we look forward to being part of the TNA family.”

“We are very excited about Destination America being the new network for IMPACT WRESTLING and the partnership with Discovery Communications both domestically and across the globe. Their commitment to promote and grow our brand in innovative and compelling ways was instrumental in knowing we had found the right home,” said TNA President Dixie Carter. “Together we will create an experience that takes our fans on a new journey that will push the envelope of technology, including where we take our cameras, going deeper into our superstars’ lives and showing the reality of what it takes to create a weekly professional wrestling show, all while showcasing the very best male and female athletes in the world.”

Since launching in 2012, Destination America has become one of cable’s top five fastest-growing networks, earning 10 consecutive quarters of year-over-year growth in Prime among P2+. With top series that explore unique American cultures and ways of life – including Mountain Monsters, A Haunting, Hillbilly Blood, Buying the Bayou, Buying Alaska, Ghost Asylum and BBQ Pitmasters – Destination America’s programming spans the nation from Alaska, Hawaii and Colorado to Louisiana, West Virginia and communities in between. To find Destination America, the new home of TNA’s IMPACT WRESTLING, go to destinationamerica.com/watchda.

TNA is a privately held sports entertainment company based in Nashville, Tenn., specializing in TV properties, events, merchandise, music, and the management and promotion of professional wrestlers. TNA annually delivers more than 500 hours of original content to millions of fans around the world.
I bolded the most important aspects-

First, there is official confirmation in the release of a multi-year deal and a January debut, but still no exact date.

Also interesting to note is that Angle is one of the wrestler's prominently featured in the visual advertisements that have been rendered, as well as one of the few names listed specifically in this release. That could be looked at as a confirmation that if he has not yet agreed on an extension to remain with TNA, then that deal is atleast coming soon.

Also what's big here is the confirmation of more content. Not only new series but also specials.

It also seems to indicate some changes in different ways the product will be presented. It sounds like an expansion of ideas like "Impact365" will be aided by the network, and I'm strictly inferring here, but perhaps even programming similar to "TNA Reaction" could be brought back into play.

More-or-less this seems to indicate that DestAmerica is truly looking at Impact as flagship/tentpole programming and they are going to promote it and advertise it as such and give the company as many platforms as they can handle while they attempt to shift and hopefully grow the product alongside the network. Or basically- the Discovery Company is giving TNA every opportunity and advantage that Spike/Viacom refused to.

This all sounds like a potentially much better partnership for TNA than Spike ever provided; and could be the key to the longterm existence and viability of TNA.

On the face of this, it looks like this could be the making of TNA going forward. A network that appears to be not only embracing Impact but looking to expand on it, in much the same way as Challenge has in the UK. More programming, an implication that they're looking to keep AND sign great talent (come home AJ!) and more focus on it's wrestlers - as a TNA fan, it's been a long time since I've felt such anticipation... 2015 can't come soon enough.

It all depends on marketing. That was the crippling flaw of the Spike/TNA deal. No one promoted anything. if DestAm wants to pimp TNA, wonderful. But the machine is damaged and needs repair before it can run properly again. Its a ling healing process, but its a multi-year contract that promises expanded programming. So at least theres that.

On the face of this, it looks like this could be the making of TNA going forward. A network that appears to be not only embracing Impact but looking to expand on it, in much the same way as Challenge has in the UK. More programming, an implication that they're looking to keep AND sign great talent (come home AJ!) and more focus on it's wrestlers - as a TNA fan, it's been a long time since I've felt such anticipation... 2015 can't come soon enough.

I'm right there with you, brother.

It might be a lot of false promises, or over-shooting, but on paper, lack of network reach aside, this actually appears as more positive than negative, at least to me.

The fact a premiere free agent like Del Rio is apparently wanting to go to TNA in 2015 is also a pretty good indication that, again, at least on paper, they've got this thing sorted out properly and know what they're doing.

Then again, I've been accused endlessly for being far to trusting. Maybe it's just another case of me buying the hype...

This is great news! Destination America and TNA could end up really helping each other. The channel might see an increase in viewers, and TNA has a chance to start fresh.

This is great news! Destination America and TNA could end up really helping each other. The channel might see an increase in viewers, and TNA has a chance to start fresh.

Respectfully disagree.

Bad deal.

Bad Network.

Bad time for TNA.

This is just a bandage on a wound and other than keeping TNA alive for a few more years, this helps nobody and TNA just regressed about 9 years.

I know some will say at least it's still on TV and can see it, but most won't because they don't have the channel. It going to become irrelevant very quickly.

Finally, let's look at 3 promotion and their respective TV deals:

ROH on syndication.
Lucha Underground on EL Rey Network.
TNA on Destination America

Wrestling in general is in the worst state I have ever seen it in.

I know some will say at least it's still on TV and can see it, but most won't because they don't have the channel. It going to become irrelevant very quickly.

Destination America is available in over 59 million homes, & most of their programming is also available on Hulu Plus (not sure in Impact will be or not, I haven't heard), that's over half the fucking country, & includes everyone who has Dish or DirecTV, I think they'll be just fine.

Finally, let's look at 3 promotion and their respective TV deals:

ROH on syndication.
Lucha Underground on EL Rey Network.
TNA on Destination America

I don't get ROH, & most people that do get ROH, get it at around midnight on a Saturday or Sunday night. I'm betting their show gets more viwers through ROH's website then on actual TV.

I don't get Lucha Underground either, & the only way I am able to watch it is if someone uploads it to Youtube. Also El Rey is a new network & there are still a millions of people in this country that don't even know it exists, or that Lucha Underground is even a thing.

I get Destination America, & I know what TNA is, & that it's moving there, & I now know what channel is it (channel 115 through my cable provider), of those three companies & their respective TV deals, TNA is the only one of them that I'm able to watch live on TV whenever it airs.

Are you boneheads on about ratings? Not you, Justin. Everyone else. Such a sily argument. "Its on in 50% of America". No its not. 50% of America can order a cable package that can provide it. That's what it means. TNA isn't losing 50% of it's viewers. More realistictly, its losing about 85%.

Ignore the ratings because the whole reason they were brought to this channel was to force fans to order the channel. TNA now has to put on a product so good casual fans would nag cable companies to add it. Only then will Destination America hand out second shows and TV specials. This is just the best of the worst. Had they capitalized properly when they had Hogan and Bischoff, they would have all these benefits and far more money to work with in a far more mainstream network. Now they gotta borrow Tommy Dreamers HoH equipment.

Are you boneheads on about ratings? Not you, Justin. Everyone else. Such a sily argument. "Its on in 50% of America". No its not. 50% of America can order a cable package that can provide it. That's what it means. TNA isn't losing 50% of it's viewers. More realistictly, its losing about 85%.

Ignore the ratings because the whole reason they were brought to this channel was to force fans to order the channel. TNA now has to put on a product so good casual fans would nag cable companies to add it. Only then will Destination America hand out second shows and TV specials. This is just the best of the worst. Had they capitalized properly when they had Hogan and Bischoff, they would have all these benefits and far more money to work with in a far more mainstream network. Now they gotta borrow Tommy Dreamers HoH equipment.

You say that as though (a) that package isn't part of most basic packages, and that (b), in the event it's not, that these fans won't be willing to purchase that package.

I have Verizon FiOS, and DA is already included in my basic plan. I'd imagine it's that way, considering it's a Discovery Networks channel, with most of the major carriers.

You say that as though (a) that package isn't part of most basic packages, and that (b), in the event it's not, that these fans won't be willing to purchase that package.

I have Verizon FiOS, and DA is already included in my basic plan. I'd imagine it's that way, considering it's a Discovery Networks channel, with most of the major carriers.
Certainly not within one month when it starts to air there. Just look at the WWE Network

Its a very fair comparison. People clamored it would get a million. At its launch point it would that be close to that number. Nearly a year in and even branching to other countries and its still not close. Raw averages 3.7 million weekly. But there's less than 1 million network subscribers.

You can't bank that TNA on DestAm is gonna even be close to a success in its debut or for months. Fans can be as loyal as they want. But theyre also fickle. If they can't access the channel, they'll find other means or not even bother with it at all because of laziness or because they weren't that attached. I'm warning you, bro. Don't concern yourself with ratings because it WILL tank. Worry about the quality. That the pathetic amount that will watch wanna spread the word.

TNA has a new network. Great. Awesome. They weren't going to be renewed by Spike, so this is great. But let's not overhype this or pretend it's a "better" deal. Spike TV is a bigger channel than Destination America. Spike is more well known, has better programming, generally easier to find and reaches more people. Spike still supported TNA even it it wasn't as much as TNA would have wanted. They sunk a ton of money into TNA.

As for additional programming, is that really needed? Are fans really clamoring for more TNA? I don't want anything outside of RAW. Maybe sometimes Smackdown. I won't watch B shows of TNA's and I bet most other won't either. But, enough might so that it's a higher rating than some of their other shows, so that's good.

Again, yes, TNA getting a new network is great. Destination America supporting TNA is great. But take it for what it is. It's a step back.

As for additional programming, is that really needed? Are fans really clamoring for more TNA? I don't want anything outside of RAW. Maybe sometimes Smackdown. I won't watch B shows of TNA's and I bet most other won't either. But, enough might so that it's a higher rating than some of their other shows, so that's good.

It depends on the 'B shows', DestAm works on the premise of being "dedicated to celebrating the people, places and stories of the United States" and I've seen some refer to it as a redneck channel. Many 'redneck' wrestling fans tuned out on the grap game after WCW went out of business, so some good programming going into the backgrounds of a James Storm or a Bobby Roode could bring back fans if Impact holds up their end of producing a good show.

It may be a smaller network BUT it could also be a better fit. Whatever happens, it promises to be more interesting than a WWe product oft criticized for it's laziness, predictability and childishness... at least initially.

What people seem to forget is that DA has been a throwaway channel since its inception. Out side of BBQ Pitmasters and Deep Fried Masters, most of their shows were Haunted this and Ghost that. Now, it seems like Discovery is taking a risk in making DA a real network. They are banking on TNA being that catalyst to make the network real. If it works, who knows? Maybe they can approach Tommy Dreamer to do a weekly HoH show. Maybe give CZW and Chikara a weekly spot. Do you get the picture? Maybe this could be the Wrestling Network that VKM wanted so badly, but failed to produce.

Well, I'm just glad TNA will have a new home and will go on for the foreseeable future. How profitable for them or the network is an issue that I am not concerned with. I'm a fan, I wanna watch wrestling. This network will carry wrestling, so I will watch it. Thus I'm happy.

But for the sake of the discussion, regardless of what the deal is, the most important thing for TNA here is a solid marketing strategy and a healthy promotional support from DA. That's all they need. The die-hards that have the channel will watch. We all know wrestling fans are addicted. TNA fans will get their fix. Will TNA make less money? It sure as hell seems like it, but as long as they're in business and make enough of a profit to sustain their current level of operations, they should be okay. Trim some fat and don't go for overpriced talent and things should run smoothly.

This is an opportunity to regroup, to revitalize their roster and their management, to really get some promotion going and hopefully after this multi-year deal is over, TNA has been promoted enough to become a commodity for a bigger network and really kick it into gear.

As bad as TNA has been and as many problems plague them even right now, it really seems like one of the biggest problems TNA had was SpikeTV. Perhaps if TNA proved itself to be a fruitful investment Spike would've pushed more. That, however, is a catch 22 because to be really successful you need promotion, you need marketing, you need to be put out there. It never seemed like Spike did that much.

Either way, TNA is alive, TNA should be well and the idea of an off-season is really appealing to me. Seasonal wrestling is interesting. If you build up toward the end of the season instead of one huge PPV (or both), and then you take a break for a couple of months it does everyone quite some good. Wrestlers get a nice, big break. Even gigantic, for wrestlers. We get to anticipate the comeback of a new season and creative has at least two months to sit down and plan the new season at peace. Who knows, it's something to be experimented with.

Glad TNA found a new network. Let's hope GFW lands a TV deal as well, as well as ROH getting an upgraded one, and WWE finally digging themselves out of the state of flux they're in, and we get some awesome fucking wrestling from everyone. That's what we all want anyway.

I know everyone's been just chomping at the bit to hear my two cents about this, so without further ado, the Good, the Bad, and the Delusional.

THE GOOD

If you're a fan of television programming produced by a company founded by Jeff Jarrett, operated by Dixie Carter, booked by whoever, and if you have Destination America this is an unequivocal Good Thing. Up until very recently, it looked as if Wednesday's show could be their last. They've signed a two-year deal (whenever a television contract is announced as 'multi-year' instead of three or five, it's almost always two), which means they don't have to worry about having a television home, and hence a company, for the near future.

Destination America is also going to be keen on partnering with TNA, as they have to justify their own existence on the far ends of the cable dial in an era of stations being rapidly trimmed to meet the lesser demand for cable programming. TNA is by far their biggest program, and will bring in viewers to their other shows which many people aren't even aware exist. (How many of you were even aware of Destination America a month ago?)

TNA will also almost certainly get the opportunity to produce more programming. They're going to be a huge tentpole for DA, and it makes sense to be able to air what will be their biggest viewer driver multiple times per week.

THE BAD

TNA, as you've known it, is dead. The money simply won't be there to finance the level of operations that they've been running. In a best case scenario, one-third of TNA's current viewers are going to be able to make the move over with the programming, and they're getting paid based upon that. For those of you who hew and cry "but I don't care what a company makes", you should- that money is what gets reinvested back into the company to produce growth. This means less money for talent, production, house shows- the whole way around.

This is not a 'recovery plan' for the company, where they spend two years in the desert and come roaring back at the head of 80,000 Mamalukes (serious rep for anyone who gets that reference). This is a new tomorrow for TNA; within a year, their product will be drastically different than the one you see today.

TNA also doesn't seem to have any internet distribution plan in place, and that's going to be a killer if they don't get on top of that. ROH is on a small distribution network, but anyone can view their television programming on demand by visiting their website. TNA's deal with DA may exclude this kind of arrangement (why buy a cow when they give away the milk for free; ROH's case is different as they are owned by their network).

THE DELUSIONAL

As bad as TNA has been and as many problems plague them even right now, it really seems like one of the biggest problems TNA had was SpikeTV. Perhaps if TNA proved itself to be a fruitful investment Spike would've pushed more. That, however, is a catch 22 because to be really successful you need promotion, you need marketing, you need to be put out there. It never seemed like Spike did that much.
Remember July of last year? When TNA had a spell where they weren't paying their employees, and you insisted that's just a normal 'blip' in the operations of a healthy company? Good times.

TNA's problem has never been advertising. Advertising is not this magic bullet that makes people watch your program because you spent money and told them to; it's a strategy aimed at spending the least resources possible in order to maximize product awareness from your most likely audiences. Professional wrestling fans aren't unaware of TNA's existence- they just don't know why they should watch. Every second Spike spends to promote TNA is money that they aren't receiving from people who would pay for that advertising space (which, remember, is TNA's job to sell in the first place). At some point, someone made the calculation that a large-scale media buy to promote TNA would cost more than the revenue it would bring in from new fans of the product.

It's not "Spike didn't know what they were doing", it's that they knew exactly what they were doing, and it didn't work out in TNA's favor.
Destination America is available in over 59 million homes, & most of their programming is also available on Hulu Plus (not sure in Impact will be or not, I haven't heard), that's over half the fucking country, & includes everyone who has Dish or DirecTV, I think they'll be just fine.
That number's misleading, because it fails to account for the difference in tiers between Spike and Destination America. Spike is available on just about every basic cable plan there is in America; if you have cable television, you likely have Spike. Destination America is available to order in half of those homes; then, how many of those people have the Super Ultra Extended Hyper Channel package it comes with?

TNA's going to take a huge whack to their audience from this move. They'll be 'just fine' if they have a plan to manage this transition.

Do we know what the actual package tiering is for Destination America on the major cable distributors (Comcast, DirecTV, Dish, Time Warner, Cox and Verizon)?

I live in New York City and have Verizon FiOS. On their most basic cable package [Select HD] (that is to say, the first tier above "local channels"), Destination America is not available. It's also not available on their second tier package [Preferred HD].

It is available, however on both their Tier 3 [Extreme HD] and Tier 4 [Ultimate HD] packages — one of which (I'm not sure which) I pay for. These start at $79.99/mo and $89.99/mo respectively.

This is not a 'recovery plan' for the company, where they spend two years in the desert and come roaring back at the head of 80,000 Mamalukes (serious rep for anyone who gets that reference).

I suppose that depends on whether one sees Dixie Carter as the reincarnation of an Ottoman general or Big Vito.

Do we know what the actual package tiering is for Destination America on the major cable distributors (Comcast, DirecTV, Dish, Time Warner, Cox and Verizon)?

I live in New York City and have Verizon FiOS. On their most basic cable package [Select HD] (that is to say, the first tier above "local channels"), Destination America is not available. It's also not available on their second tier package [Preferred HD].

It is available, however on both their Tier 3 [Extreme HD] and Tier 4 [Ultimate HD] packages — one of which (I'm not sure which) I pay for. These start at $79.99/mo and $89.99/mo respectively.
I did some quick research into this question and the only answer I could find was "only the cable companies and God must know for sure", and I'm not even entirely sure on the first one. Cable companies offer different channel availability in varying tiers depending on location; there is no fixed "Destination America is on the Super Mega Gold Package at Comcast". (Satellite too, which is a bit of a mindfuck.) I think it's a reasonable presumption to say that it isn't typically on the same tier level as SpikeTV.

Many fans are going to be put in the uncomfortable position of deciding if watching TNA is worth another $10-$20 a month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back