Is Vince Russo Racist?

Infamous_Enigma

The Ambidextrous Amputee
MODERATOR NOTE
As much as I hate doing these things, there needs to be discussion about the possibilty of Vince Russo being racist and whether that kept the Pope from being TNA champion. If you use an example of another wrestler, make sure to STILL answer the question posed here. If not, you will be INFRACTED for spam, because this mod note is considered a warning.

The Lariat
TNA Section Moderator

"TNA Wrestling had recently decided that they were going to give The Pope D’Angelo Dinero the belt at Lockdown, but Vince Russo was VERY against it. People in management say that for months they were talking about how great The Pope was and he finally deserves his spotlight. The morning of Lockdown, Vince Russo had threatened to give away some very inside TNA information that they don’t want let out. He said that a black man like The Pope wouldn’t never get over and that the majority of wrestling fans are white.

TNA being scared that Russo would give out confidential information, they decided to listen to Russo. Russo was the main person behind RVD getting the belt as well."

This is a direct quote from a wrestling website, www.Thewrestlingenquirer.com

I personally dont know if this is true or not, But if memory serves me correctly.... there are only a few black people in TNA... I think about 5. IMO i hope this isnt true because if it is, This is most definitely gonna ruin the credibility That TNA has, Which right now is not the Biggest amount as of right now.

What do you think of this? Do you think its true? Do you think back then The pope should have won the title? would he have won if Russo wasnt at TNA?

Thoughts on this?

Sounds ruggedly familiar. I distinctly remember that not many African Americans got over with Russo in two other companies he worked for...

WWF(E) and WCW.

He made some really dispicable storylines for WWF regarding the black talent IMO. Anyone remember Mark Henry with transvestite? Yeah...oh and The Godfather. He was responsible for coming up with that.

And WCW really wasn't that much better. Besides Booker T can anyone really give me another example of African American talent who was Main Eventing after the Attitude Era and Pre-WWE buy out? (1998-2000). I can't name another.

I think it is likely that he descriminates.

That is exactly my point. Wherever Russo goes, Usually the African Americans Get stuck with the shitty storylines. Mark henry gets the tranny, Ron simmons is watered down to just "damn!" And everyone one of the black people that walk in to a company he has get THE WORST GIMMICK possible. Black machismo? Consequences creed? Everytime a African comes in, he gets shitted on. I HOPE he doesnt do anything to Benjamin except put him in team angle again.

...I'm pretty sure that if he threatened creative with leaking details if Dinero was awarded the title than he would be fired. TNA doesn't need Russo. There is no way one man is going to be able to strong arm and entire company like that. I find this piece of news very sketchy. Dinero is one of the hottest things in the company right now and I highly doubt that one mans alledged racism is going to hold anything back. You can't even say that he's responsible for putting Orlando Jordan with his current gimmick because...well...he's actually bisexual. Jordan has even stated that a lot of it was his idea. Ron Simmons was retired and in his ''DAMN'' gimmick long after Russo was gone from the WWE so I'm not sure why you even brought that up.

My point is, whether Russo is secretly racist or not will have no affect on the show. No one man is going to be able to basically hold the company hostage that way. If this were to really happen I guarantee Russo would have been future endeavored by now.

That said, I think everyone has a bit of favoritism toward their own race, whether they like it or not whether they admit it or not.
I think the Pope is going to get his shot on the strap. AJ was an obvious choice, I think they planned to leave it on him a bit longer. Pope is a good choice. Mr Anderson a slightly better choice. RVD is a decent choice, slightly better than Pope (slightly) in my opinion.

Angle, Hardy, Sting, Jarrett,RVD, and Foley don't need a belt to be relevant. Neither do the Dudleys or the Band.

The guys who can be elevated by a belt, a good feud, or a rub (in my opinion) are Anderson, AJ, Pope, Morgan, Hernandez (if he comes back)Roode, mcmg, beer money,Rob Terry maybe Eric Young.
Guys who can be elevated just by letting them work on tv are J Lethal, douglas williams, Brutus Magnus, and generation me.
They need more tv time and some glorified jobbers.
I honestly don't know what to do with orlando jordan. I guess he's trying to be the guy with the most heat EVER. Some fans are gonna hate him cause he's black. A bunch more are gonna hate him cause he's bi. Some are gonna hate him for his bad tattoos. The people who love him, well, his little pretty boy just got fired - so that leaves russo and Bischoff - I read that they LOVE this angle.

I thought "damn" was one of the best gimmicks ever for a guy on the way out (meaning an older guy). He got paid to be on tv very regularly, didn't have to take any bumps to do it. Worked as the utlimate tweener... He could "damn" at a face, and with just a slightly different inflection he could "damn" at a heel.
That's NOT racism, that's good writing. He probably made at least a quarter million dollars by saying damn for a few years. Beats smoking cigars, playing poker, and getting blind sided with jbl.

DAMN!

I think it's non-sense and stupidity to blame an alleged racism on someone not getting the title. If Russo came into the booking office and said "Hey, I don't want that guy winning the title tonight, because he is black! Or else... White Power!" I'm sure he would of left the arena with a black eye, and out of a job. In fact, the company would be targeted by so many groups, and boycotts would occur if something like that would occur.

Russo may have done some stupid things, but having the ability to strong hold an entire company, because of race is a pretty silly accusation. Oh wait a minute, he had some strange story-lines for the nation. Mark Henry was a sexual deviant, and The Godfather was pimping hoes. Forget about the Rock, or Booker T. He made Mark Henry make out with an old lady. Therefore he is racist.

This accusation is one of the best things I've heard from TNA in a while. A company that just fired Bubba the Love Spongue for racist comments on his own radio show, is going to leave one of it's top guys in the company a lone, and make racist decisions. Pure Genius.

"TNA Wrestling had recently decided that they were going to give The Pope D’Angelo Dinero the belt at Lockdown, but Vince Russo was VERY against it. People in management say that for months they were talking about how great The Pope was and he finally deserves his spotlight. The morning of Lockdown, Vince Russo had threatened to give away some very inside TNA information that they don’t want let out. He said that a black man like The Pope wouldn’t never get over and that the majority of wrestling fans are white.

TNA being scared that Russo would give out confidential information, they decided to listen to Russo. Russo was the main person behind RVD getting the belt as well."

This is a direct quote from a wrestling website, www.Thewrestlingenquirer.com

nfamous_Enigma That is exactly my point. Wherever Russo goes, Usually the African Americans Get stuck with the shitty storylines. Mark henry gets the tranny, Ron simmons is watered down to just "damn!" And everyone one of the black people that walk in to a company he has get THE WORST GIMMICK possible. Black machismo? Consequences creed? Everytime a African comes in, he gets shitted on. I HOPE he doesnt do anything to Benjamin except put him in team angle again.

I personally dont know if this is true or not, But if memory serves me correctly.... there are only a few black people in TNA... I think about 5. IMO i hope this isnt true because if it is, This is most definitely gonna ruin the credibility That TNA has, Which right now is not the Biggest amount as of right now.

What do you think of this? Do you think its true? Do you think back then The pope should have won the title? would he have won if Russo wasnt at TNA?

Thoughts on this?

Nothing wrong with Good opinion, but this is more of a conspiracy theory then anything. During Russo's tenure, the Rock who was mixed races was getting a good push, and Ron Simmons was the feared Farooq.

There was very little african-americans at WCW before Russo got there. He didn't have much to work with. Does that make Bischoff racist?

If Russo had racism issues don't you think the company would of picked it out years ago. The Pope winning the belt would of been a big thing, especially race wise. So, TNA will just let one writer dictate the main event because of his racism. That's just non-sense.

I thought kevin nash pushed for the black machismo gimmick. His impersonations are pretty good. Flair seemed honestly pissed by the one he did of him. And I thought consequences creed had the same gimmick before TNA and came in as a very last minute replacement for a pay per view.
So, you could say that he's racist for not forcing these guys into better gimmicks, but I think that in these two cases it has little to do with russo. Killings gets over just fine with his "what's up" gimmick - that seems every bit as racist to me. Monte Brown was going pretty good with the Alpha Male thing, too.
If something stands out about someone, the wrestling industry is going to use it. Whether it's skin color, a funny accent, bad hair, he's a midget, whatever. The real racism stems from the crowds. In this sense, if there is anything about a wrestler that the audience doesn't like (skin color, hair cut, accent, natural ability to piss people off) they want to see him get his ass kicked. If he has the charisma of the Rock, he gets a pass (eventually). Wrestling audiences are disproportionately redneck. (Don't believe me, go to an indy show and count mullets and white power tattoos) - so, if you want them to come back, give em what they want. Which means lots of black guys jobbing. Lots of effeminate guys jobbing. Lots of outsiders jobbing.

Heah Infamous Enigma was POPE even ready to get the belt? NO HE WAS NOT!!! And for Russo being racist no (you can call him the death of TNA) but he gave Lashley a good gimmickish and most of Russo gimmicks are from films he has watched.

I hope this story isnt true because if it is this is truly dispicable. Its fair to not want the guy to win the strap if you believe hes not ready but if its because the pope is black then just no, TNAs credibility will go even lower if it turn out this is true. Russo has been known though to give the worse end of stories to the black guys on the roster, then again people often against Russo often bring up the Orlando Jordan character, this was infact as stated earlier in this thread, was Jordans idea as he does live a bisexual outside the wrestling world.

If this story is true though about him being against the Pope winning the belt due to his skin colour, i dont think TNA would keep him around much longer, infact correct me if im wrong but wasnt BTLS fired because of his racist remarks against Awsome Kong on his radio show? I doubt the guy; Russo, would be able to keep such a strong hold over the company like this though.

To the op question on whether the Pope should have won the belt at this time, in my opinion i gotta say no, TNA are trying to bring in new fans, and by having Pope who many casual wrestling fans will remember him as a wwe 'reject' and will instantly think less of the overall TNA product. While havin a big name like RVD as champ will hopefully for TNAs sake get them some more fans that they desperatly need, when there more settled into the Hogan/Bischoeff regiemethen i think the Pope will make a good world champ, until then they should keep there biggest names in the title scene.

Dwayne Johnson, better known as "The Rock", is of mixed race. He is from Canada. Dwayne is mostly African American, and Italian. He started is public career as a wrestler, and has now moved to acting. That's why they don't speak of him as black lol. He's a deep mix of races. To label him as "black" would be inaccurate.

As far as Vince Russo being racist I don't think he's necessarily RACIST but I do feel he doesn't give the black talent the fair shake they deserve. Vince Russo isn't the great writer everyone believes he is. Fact remains when Russo was in WWF/WWE he had to filter everything through VINCE MCMAHON. Now that he's basically working for Eric Bischoff again (Dixie is literally just the inflatable adult toy for the 2 of them) Russo can do whatever he wants again. Problem with that is if he has beef with any of the talent he can put them in crappy storylines and what are they going to do? Object and look unprofessional? Vince Russo knows how to "play the game" and PROVING he's a racist would be all but impossible to do.

In defence of Russo (can't remember the last time I wrote those words) the Mark Henry thing wasn't him. Considering it carried on well after he left (such as giving birth to a hand, etc) I'd say it was higher managements call to take the piss out of Henry.

The only thing Russo is really guilty of is stealing ideas from films as he clearly stole the Pope's character from a few black-sploitation films he's seen.

And the Godfather gimmick was very exploitative (is that even a word?) but, let's face it, it's the only thing that ever got Charles Wright over so it earned him a helluva lot of money.

I'd def agree with the post that says this is more conspiracy theory then anything else.

Russo may be a douche bag, but I don't think he's racist. I could be wrong but in TNA I think all booking decisions go through Dixie or Hulk before their finalized. Wasn't he booking in the early TNA days win Truth was a top guy and NWA World Champion.

In WWE I know as most people do Every decision goes through Mchman. The Rock had a many IC and WWE title reigns while Russo was there. Ahmed Johnson was the first black IC champion during that time period as well. Not to mention the Nation of Domination was a top stable for a long period of time.

In WCW he didn't have anyone to answer to and Booker T was he's hand picked Champion. He has said he wanted to rebuild WCW around him. To be honest I can't remember any other African American guys in WCW at the time besides Stevie Ray and Elix Skipper.

I think Pope not being champion has more to do with Hogan, Dixie, and TNA management wanting to put it on someone more established as in RVD. I'm sure Pope will get a title run sooner than later.

I really enjoyed his work in Wwe even tho he wasn't pushed as far as he should of been.I've been watching his matches in TNA because i enjoy him personally and see alot of potential in him,Vince russo is a washed up writer who needs to hang his pen and pad up before the crowd starts chanting FIRE RUSSO (CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP) FIRE RUSSO!!!

The Rock is samoan and african america. He was Born in CA in 1972. His dad was Canadian and his mom was somoan. Where did you get he is half italian from KOC417?
And if Russo is a racist wouldn't he have been fired like Bubba the Love Sponge?

I dont think there is any truth to this. Vince Russo was the main writer when Booker T won his WCW world titles. WCW had not had a African-American champion since Ron Simmons won it back in 1992, So I sincerly doubt there is any truth to this. Also, I am pretty sure Vince Russo was working for TNA when Ron The Truth Killings was made the NWA World Champion.

Plus The Wrestling Enquirer is hardly a legitimate source of news. They also claim that Shawn Michaels is headed to TNA, that Hardy and RVD were going to be a tag team called drug money, even going so far to post a fake T-Shirt picture they claim is from Shoptna.com, and they have a bunch of "quotes" from Dixie Carter on Twitter that I am pretty sure she never said. They also said Mick Foley would be back in the WWE for Wrestlemania, that the Million Dollar man was broke and holding Vince up for a new Legends contract or he wouldnt appear, and that Bret Hart was demanding to use a "genie" gimmick at Wrestlemania. They also claim that Kanyon left a suicide note claiming that the reason he killed himself is because he had never heard of the grand canyon, and upon discovering it, decided that the Grand Canyon was the thing he finally found that was "Better Than Kanyon" and thus killed himself (I wish I was making this stuff up). Clearly that website is full of crap and so I think anything put on that site that hasnt been put here on Wrestlezone should be considered complete BS.
For those that want to check out this website for themselves, here is a proper link as the original poster posted it incorrectly. http://www.wrestlingenquirer.com/

BTLS got fired for racist comments. No way they let Russo hold the company hostage over "confidential information". And I am sure, if there is "super double top secret G-14 classified info" that could sink TNA, everyone privy to it would be required to sign a non-disclosure statement, which if violated would get them sued for every nickle they had.

And besides...is Pope really that good? Is he title ready? Is he ready to be the face of a company that (at the time) was vying for ratings with WWE. No, No, and No. I don't find him entertaining at all. For real. His promos are maybe B- material. He wasn't ready and Russo pulled the string on RVD. And there you have it.

I've just got to point something out; The Godfather gimmick, wasn't a million miles away from what Charles Wright does outside of wrestling. After leaving the wrestling business he moved to Las Vegas, where he manages a number of strip clubs.

That new's is the biggest crock of shit i have ever read. There is now way Pope was going to win that night, they werent even in the FREAKING main event.

I can't believe that Bischoff, Carter or Hogan didn't fire him for even threatening to do what he has apparently threaten to let out.

Pope was ready, despite what people here are suggesting and Russo is wrong because Pope is absolutely capable of getting over on a wider scale. He would have been a perfectly serviceable champion and a reign until Slammiversary would have been very acceptable, especially if the belt were passed to a heel like Anderson afterwards.

I can't believe that Bischoff, Carter or Hogan didn't fire him for even threatening to do what he has apparently threaten to let out.

Pope was ready, despite what people here are suggesting and Russo is wrong because Pope is absolutely capable of getting over on a wider scale. He would have been a perfectly serviceable champion and a reign until Slammiversary would have been very acceptable, especially if the belt were passed to a heel like Anderson afterwards.

Hey did you even READ what other people said? especially the guy who pointed out that website posts alot of nonsense..you really think one man could do that? when carter and hogan has more pull than him?..jeez ppl are so quick to believe everything.

I would disagree with the assumption Vince Russo is racist. If he had stopped a white guy from winning the title would he then be accused of racism? no.

If you look at wrestling as a whole it is for the most part dominated by white guys. There have been very few black world champions as a whole throughout the federations... Is Pope a good wrestler? yes, no question... is he world champion material right now? No... the guy essentailly was a low/mid card wrestler about a year ago in the WWE and to jump from that to world champion is a bit much I feel.

Its only because he is black some people are saying its racism, if he was white no one would batter an eyelid.

now I see the biggest problem TNA has for gods sake fire russo!! wtf is that Pope is the best thing that happened to TNA in years and how they can waste this big opportunity for hes major push? omg Dixie clear your mind for a bit ban russo for month and just see what happens im sure in that month the storylines would get better the people who are deserved for a push would get it , us fans must do something we need big change and that change is russo ass in the street TNA does not need him!!!!

I don't think the issue here has to do with racism. I think it has to do with the fact that they were going to give Elijah Burke the World Title. If anything, Russo was speaking some sense here, assuming he didn't use the "he's black, so let's not give him the title" reasoning, which I doubt he actually did.

Everytime a black wrestler doesn't win a title we really need to stop assuming it's because of racism. You have to look at each on a case by case basis to determine if they're good enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back