Is TNA in for a rough night for Lockdown ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Free

The man of a thousand rest holds.
Let's face it, they chose to venture off out of the safe Orlando, FLA area, and pick what could be the most dangerous location of all to have a PPV in. Philadelphia, PA. Now, if you remember WWE's ECW One Night Stand held at the Hammerstein Ballroom in NY, you'd recognize the Philly fans that attended that deal. Granted those were Philly ECW hardcore fans, but don't think they won't go to see Foley and Team 3D when they are in their town. The audience plays a big role in a wrestling show, their reaction sometimes makes or breaks the show, I remember One Night Stand, big audience participation in that event, except, they didn't react according to the script. Cena threw his t-shirt into the crowd as he always does, it got thrown back at him, he did it gain, they spit on it and threw it back again, not exactly a WWE friendly reaction. Now TNA is going into that type of audience, I wonder how they will fare, but one thing is for sure, it's going to be interesting.

That might be a good point. Philly fans are literally like no others in the world. They're bloodthirsty psychos and damn proud of it. If TNA fucks up majorly like they have before a la Kip James in the main event, they will get booed out of the building and be sent away screaming. The way this card is being set up it's looking like CZW with a budget and talent. This could work, but TNA is going to have to nail it.

well u got the dudleys that theyll go crazy for at least. I think the pay per view needs a big heel turn here, either Foley, Jarrett, or Joe should join the Mafia here. My hope is for Joe to turn and then he can have some classic matches agaisnt Daniels and Styles. Tna needs a big moment an impactful moment at a pay per view something that gets people talking and interested. They need to take some chances , if they do that at this pay per view I think the philly fans will be alright

Im actually quite looking forward to Lockdown tomorrow night. I think if TNA pull this off right, and satisfiy the fans it could well go down as one of there better PPVs. Blood is gurenteed with there chamber of blood match, and lethal lockdown, and the street fight, and also the fact that all matches are in the cage so that should satisfiy the fans slightly. 3D and Foley will give it there all to satisfiy the fans due to there ECW routes.

i think we could be in for a good show tomorrow, as lethal lockdown the past few years has always been a good enough match once the cage roof closes over.

well u got the dudleys that theyll go crazy for at least. I think the pay per view needs a big heel turn here, either Foley, Jarrett, or Joe should join the Mafia here. My hope is for Joe to turn and then he can have some classic matches agaisnt Daniels and Styles. Tna needs a big moment an impactful moment at a pay per view something that gets people talking and interested. They need to take some chances , if they do that at this pay per view I think the philly fans will be alright

good post all around, one thing though, I dont think joe needs to turn on TNA to fued with AJ and Daniels, they could set up an angle around august that aj dissapproves of Joe's nation of violence and his actions, he thinks joe overdoes it, kinda like the way aj and joe stared eachother down last week, daniels defends joe and saids its ok which angers joe, joe saying he doesnt need anyone to defend his actions, friction between everyone, then it all comes to an end at bound for glory V, maybe an unbreakable rematch for the world heavyweight title, just a thought

OK Wrestling fans I think TNA had an idea going into Lockdown having it in Philadelphia in the first place they have talent from the Real ECW in TNA Rhino , Team 3D & Mick Foley plus you have brought in Danny Bonaduce who is a Philadelphia native in a match with "Showtime" Eric Young . Add in the element of using 2 Real ECW guys (Balls & Spike Dudley) to further the Team 3D -VS- Beer Money match and I think this should be the best PPV of the year so far and actully BETTER then the other 2 (WWE) PPV's in April .

BANG BANG !!!!:guns::thumbsup::bringit::2up:

I have lived in Philly my entire life and we do love being called every negative name in the book because they go side by side with the word passion. Whether it be for our sports teams, for the late great Harry Kalas (RIP) or ECW. I think it will be a decent pay per view. However, the Flyers play a playoff game tomorrow, I don't know if that will have too much of an effect on the turnout but it is something to think about.

Wrestling fans are generally very loyal so it may not effect it at all. It will be interesting for me to see because WWE usually doesn't even sell out here at all anymore. Curious to see if TNA's product gathers some interest. Kurt Angle a month ago was on our main sports radio station 610 wip with howard eskin so they may have promoted enough.

Let's face it, they chose to venture off out of the safe Orlando, FLA area, and pick what could be the most dangerous location of all to have a PPV in. Philadelphia, PA. Now, if you remember WWE's ECW One Night Stand held at the Hammerstein Ballroom in NY, you'd recognize the Philly fans that attended that deal. Granted those were Philly ECW hardcore fans, but don't think they won't go to see Foley and Team 3D when they are in their town. The audience plays a big role in a wrestling show, their reaction sometimes makes or breaks the show, I remember One Night Stand, big audience participation in that event, except, they didn't react according to the script. Cena threw his t-shirt into the crowd as he always does, it got thrown back at him, he did it gain, they spit on it and threw it back again, not exactly a WWE friendly reaction. Now TNA is going into that type of audience, I wonder how they will fare, but one thing is for sure, it's going to be interesting.

All great points. But the ECW/Hammerstein Ballroom arguement and Cena doesn't float with me. In that case, you had an entire building full of loyal Original ECW fans with their posterboy RVD going against Cena for the Title. And this was when Cena really started to garner heat and people hating his promos and hating his in-ring because it was piss poor. It still is but that's how he's booked and another point for another thread. TNA isn't going into the type of audience just because it's in Philly. I attended Hard Justice in 08 in Trenton NJ just like an hour or so outside of Philly, and people there started some ECW chants during the Team 3D Street Fight against Christian Cage and Rhyno. Like an above poster said, wrestling has a very loyal following. ONS at Ham. Ballroom was kind of a black sheep event. It wasn't typical. It was just packed from end to end top to bottom with fans of the original ECW because they wanted to see RVD go over Vince's pet Cena.

Yes Philly fans are bloodthirsty and will turn on you in a heartbeat, but I don't think the fans there for Lockdown are going to make it a rough night for TNA. It will be a typical big time TNA PPV (in the sense that Lockdown is the 2nd biggest one behind BFG) where you will have your hardcore Sting fans and your hardcore Foley fans, your hardcore Daniels fans, and etc... I'm not sure who's on the card because I haven't even watched TNA since about a month after I attended Hard Justice. But I think Lockdown will be a decent success for TNA and I hope they continue to grow as a company so they can sometime compete with Vince and then we can see some better creative and better storylines from both companies.

I remember a few weeks ago when Foley told Sting that the fans weren't talking about "that Other PPV in April"...that they were talking about Lockdown, they were talking about Foley vs. Sting...20 years in the making. He was head on with that line. Most people agree that WM25 was the most lackluster WWF/E PPV ever. Nothing mattered and nothing happened. Ouitside of Undertaker/Michaels nothinbg grabbed the emotions or hearts of the audience.

Yes, this is the match, the event, the happening for the month of April this year. Nearly every single match means something. Even Young vs. Danny Partridge is garnering more chatter than HHH/Orton and it's free on the pre-show!

Taz might show up and choke out Don West, then take his spot on the announce team. That would make the Philly fans happy. Even if that doesn't happen, TNA is totally capable of satisfying the hardcore wrestling fans.

IMO, if TNA can deliver and capitalize on the Philly fans this could very well *gasps* give them a much needed boost in audience. Philly fans are bloodthirsty savages that thrive on pain and destruction, and we love them for that. But, as we've all seen with ECW, they are also some of THE most loyal fans in the world. WWE tries to recreate some magic with One Night Stand, Philly fans boo Cena out of the building, etc. etc. My point being is that if TNA can somehow, some way find a means to endear these wonderfully psychotic people to their product, we'll begin to notice a slight jump in their ratings. The card itself and the added six sides of steel stipulation for every match is a step in the right direction. The "what if's" and the "how could's" are riding on the talent booked that night. Probably wouldn't hurt if TNA has an ace or two up the sleeve, some shock value or huge surprise to catch the fans off guard and get the holy shit chants started. The spoilers running around about them hiring two former world champions or something to that effect makes me think that they very well might have thought things through for once. Now, if RVD and Sabu show up, theoretically, I'm gonna mark out and blow the front out of my pants ten times over. Not likely, I'd put the percentile on that one in the negatives but it'd be a sure fire way to give WWE a nice fuck you from TNA and Philly.

Taz might show up and choke out Don West, then take his spot on the announce team. That would make the Philly fans happy. Even if that doesn't happen, TNA is totally capable of satisfying the hardcore wrestling fans.

Now that idea got me thinking. What other original ECW stars are not on Vince's payroll? Heck Spike and Balls show up on Impact. The last one before the ppv. I dont think a RVD, Sabu, or another star, showing up is that far-fetched.

I think they would have been in trouble in years past but this honestly looks like the best Lockdown yet.

Bonaduce/EY will be torn to shreds but we don't have to watch that.

I don't think they need two womens matches and the fans might let them know about it, I'd put them all together in Queen of the Cage.

LAX vs MCMG vs No Limit. Everyone loves the american teams and ECW die-hards liked foreign talent so that should go down well.

Beer Money vs Team 3D has been built really really well and I think they'll have gone over this match thoroughly for weeks and it should go off really well.

Xscape will have crazy spots so that'll be fine. Lethal Lockdown they get to see Styles, the newly violent (again) Joe and the return of Daniels probably beating the hell out of the old timers. As long as there's blood that'll be fine.

The main event is the only thing that worries me a little. Sting is a legend, no question. Foley is the hardcore legend, no question. But at this stage of their careers this is in major danger of looking like a Khali match. They're going to do a lot of striking and hitting each other into the cage. I just really don't think they will mesh very well and envision a run-in or two to try and salvage it. If Foley doesn't bust his ass this match may kill the show.

Taz could involve himself with Foley and Sting now I think about it... He won't wrestle anyone so he won't touch any of the young talent, but is it impossible to imagine him putting the Tazmission on Foley and joining the Main Event Mafia as their true heel commentator (let's face it, Don West isn't good at it). He could say he is the true hardcore legend and Foley was just a stuntman or something.

I remember a few weeks ago when Foley told Sting that the fans weren't talking about "that Other PPV in April"...that they were talking about Lockdown, they were talking about Foley vs. Sting...20 years in the making. He was head on with that line. Most people agree that WM25 was the most lackluster WWF/E PPV ever. Nothing mattered and nothing happened. Ouitside of Undertaker/Michaels nothinbg grabbed the emotions or hearts of the audience.

Yes, this is the match, the event, the happening for the month of April this year. Nearly every single match means something. Even Young vs. Danny Partridge is garnering more chatter than HHH/Orton and it's free on the pre-show!
this event is not even being talked about like wrestlemania 25 was & still is being talked about . lockdown is being only talked about by marks & while wrestlemania is still being talked bout by millions .. the Young vs. Danny Partridge is not being talked about still as much as HHH/Orton still is because the feud is not over . there is still more chatter about HHH/Orton then Young vs. Danny Partridge . instead people are looking down on tna for Young vs. Danny Partridge . tna needs to stop this crap
mick foley was not head on with that line at all . no one was talking about sting vs foley over wrestlemaina . millions of people were talking about wrestlemania 25 compare to the small thousand who are talking about sting foley & Lockdown. foley was wrong & being a company bitch when he said the fans weren't talking about "that Other PPV in April"...that they were talking about Lockdown. that is al buulcrap . no one was caring about lockdown compared to wresltemania 25 & people still don't care about lockdown still .Wrestlemania is biggest PPV of the year & always will be talked about over tna everyday.also tna better watch their back in philly because they are look at in philly like WCW not ECW by the fans in philly . philly has ROH's back & ROH is looked as the new ECW by the fans in philly who TNA has tried to screw over many times .so tna is coming into Old ECWS & ROH"s backyard not theirs.

Philly fans are literally like no others in the world. They're bloodthirsty psychos and damn proud of it/QUOTE]

Darn right we are i am going to the event live and i have not really thought about how crazy it will get and you are right ecw fans will go to see foley and the dudleys and i am sure it will get really crazy

Being from NYC, from going to that ONS at the Hammerstein...I do not recall someone taking a "location poll" as to where everyone came from. To assume that it was packed with Philly fans is just plain....it's like saying NY'ers didn't attend the event.

It was packed with die hard EC-dub fans, regardless of location, who hated Cena. It could've been held in Juno, Alaska and you would've had eskimos, who hated Cena. He was (is still?) the most polarizing character Vince had.

As to Lockdown...good thing they have a cage surrounding the whole thing. The card is passable at best. The surprise? I'ma Taz mark, but even he can't make me that happy. Unless he brings in Masato Tanaka, Tajiri, Lance Storm, Justin Credible, and Steve Austin with him...I don't care that much.

It's obvious what they are going to do with Taz.
Remember why Don West turned Heel? He referenced a producers meeting (storyline) where they questioned West's future as a broadcaster. Taz is going to be his replacement. I'm 99% convinced that after Lockdown, Teney and Taz will be a part of the broadcast team, with West either making it a 3 person team or becoming the mouth for a heel wrestler (Not MEM, they have enough mouths, and that's just Kurt Angle).

I think having Eric Young vs Danny Partridge to open the show is a big mistake. Eric Young is a ******, simply put. Danny Partridge played wrestler on a reality show. Philly fans are going to see right through this bullshit. The match will have a few blown spots, with alot of, "you both suck" chats. Great idea, lets piss off the crowd before the PPV even starts.

TNA has a great opportunity. By hosting a PPV in Philly you have the ability to spread your product to the most die hard passionate crowd anywhere. The problem is TNA is pure shit. Look at the rating they can't beat WWECW, which is really pure shit. Now you are going to take your shit product and put it in front of the most brutally honest crowd imaginable and show this on live PPV???? For TNA's sake I hope they are running on a 30 second delay with several dump buttons.

Philly fans made destinys child cry during a nba half time show, they cheered when irvin was carted off the field, they threw snowballs at santa...TNA watch out

I want to clarify something that has bothered me forever. Philly fans DID NOT cheer Irvin being hurt. They boo'd Deon Sanders when Irvin got lifted up off the turf because he was dancing around like a moron. I was there, that is the true story.

Now again as for this ppv. ECW and TNA are two different companies. While you will get some die hard ECW fans, for the most part we in Philly understand the days of the old ECW are over.

Someone said Philly thinks of ROH has the new ECW. That is bulldooky. I live in South Philly and outside of this website I have NOT even heard ROH mentioned here.

The people who bought the tickets should already be aware of what they're getting. If TNA get turned on it's because they're presenting something shit. An Electrified Steel Cage Match would probably get a poor reaction chants from any city.

Well, Lockdown is history, and TNA indeed had a rough night with it. The crowd was basically dead for most of the PPV, except for the team 3D match, in which they acted as part of the show. They booed Danny Bonaduce out of the building, they didn't warm up to ODB, but they seemed to like Daphne, lukewarm reaction for LAX, and MCMG had to win them over during the match. Abyss vs Morgan came close to being booed out of the building, except it had blood and Stevie Richards came out,so they narrowly made it to the end. Suicide kind of won them over with the dive off the cage. The MEM vs Team Jarret got them into it, mostly because of AJ Styles dive through the cage roof and the flurry at the end. Sting got a good reaction as did Foley and they seemed to like the ending. Overall, TNA didn't seem to impress the Philly fans all that much. I think because they know TNA won't run many shows there, and most of those fans, you have to win over on the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back