Is the World Heavyweight Championship bigger then the WWE Championship?

This ones easy, the WWE title for the reason that it was the official World Championship of the WWF and the other one was brought in 2002. This title started in '02 the week after Summerslam when Lesnar left RAW without a champ, so they brought in this new title (that looks very familiar) and made a World Champ for both shows because they treated the WWE like it was 2 separate organizations (1 being RAW and 1 being Smackdown) and with each show having its own world title (if you look you will see they never make mention of anyone holding that title since '02 when they brought it in).

This is not the same title that Ric Flair and Sting held, this is a completely different title that was invented in '02 when they decided to have 2 world champions and for that reason I have to give it to the WWE title because it was the #1 title for about 40 years until they brought in a second one.

The simple fact of the matter is that whichever championship is on Raw at the time will always be treated with more prestige and importance, because SmackDown has always been the redheaded stepchild in comparison. Right now, the WWE Championship is much more important and is almost definitely going to be main eventing WrestleMania, whereas the World Heavyweight Championship could be sandwiched somewhere in the middle of the card like Taker/Batista was at Mania 23. And even if it's not, it has no chance in hell of going on last on a card with Cena/Batista and Taker/HBK. Honestly, Bret Hart vs. Vince might be a bigger match at this point due to being on Raw and the amount of buildup that it has received. That really speaks to the point of the brand being the most important factor in how a championship and it's major feud is treated. And it was the same situation last year with Triple H vs. Orton taking priority by far over Cena/Edge/Show, which mostly revolved around the Vickie Guerrero saga with Cena being the only one who really cared about the title. Not that HHH/Orton was much different in that respect, but it was much more intense and a lot more effort was put into making it one of the greatest WM storylines of all time, even though the payoff ended up being terrible and the feud just kept dragging on after that. Mania XXIV was the exception, but if Cena or HHH had won, you can bet your ass that would have gone on last too.

The WWE Championship is definitely more prestigious than the World Heavyweight Championship. Although they are acknowledged as equals onscreen, the World Heavyweight Championship has only been around since 2002. The World Heavyweight Championship didn't exist until after the Undisputed Championship became the WWE Championship.

Actually the World Heavyweight Championship dates back further than any WWE Title including the WWE Championship.

The World Heavyweight Title was The WCW Heavyweight Championship and before that the NWA World Heavyweight Championship.

When you consider who has held The World Heavyweight Championship, it has a lot more prestige than the WWE Championship.

So I would much rather hold the World Heavyweight Championship than the WWE(c)!

Actually the World Heavyweight Championship dates back further than any WWE Title including the WWE Championship.

The World Heavyweight Championship's history began at September 2nd, 2002.

The World Heavyweight Title was The WCW Heavyweight Championship and before that the NWA World Heavyweight Championship.

That's a common belief, however it's wrong. The belt is a tribute to the WCW and NWA Championships.... but it is not the same belt. It was created when Raw needed a world title after the Undisputed Championship became Smackdown exclusive, then the belts traded brands in 2005.

When you consider who has held The World Heavyweight Championship, it has a lot more prestige than the WWE Championship.

Ok, yes. Let's take a look at that. I will list out each wrestler who has held the WWE Championship and then do the same for the World Heavyweight Championship.

WWE Championship
Buddy Rogers
Bruno Sammartino
Ivan Koloff
Pedro Morales
Stan Stasiak
Billy Graham
Bob Backlund
Antonio Inoki
Iron Sheik
Hulk Hogan
Andre the Giant
Randy Savage
Ultimate Warrior
Sgt Slaughter
Undertaker
Ric Flair
Bret Hart
Yokozuna
Diesel
Shawn Michaels
Sycho Sid
Steve Austin
Kane
The Rock
Mankind
Triple H
Vince McMahon
Big Show
Kurt Angle
Chris Jericho
Brock Lesnar
Eddie Guerrero
JBL
John Cena
Edge
RVD
Randy Orton
Jeff Hardy
Batista
Sheamus

That's quite an impressive list, and that wasn't even the full title history, that's just the list of who's held the belt before. Now, let's take a look at who has held the World Heavyweight Championship, which is a shorter and less prestigious list.

World Heavyweight Championship
Triple H
Shawn Michaels
Goldberg
Chris Benoit
Randy Orton
Batista
Kurt Angle
Rey Mysterio
King Booker
Undertaker
Edge
The Great Khali
CM Punk
Chris Jericho
John Cena
Jeff Hardy
Jack Swagger

See what I mean? The history of the WWE Championship is far more prestigious, therefore it is the more important title. The announcers will always put over the Raw world title as being more prestigious due to Raw being the flagship brand, so onscreen in kayfabe the World Heavyweight Championship was put over as being more prestigious from September 2002 until June 2005, then again briefly from June 2008 until February 2009. Outside of kayfabe, there is no contest. The WWE Championship is far more prestigious because of its long history of title holders. The World Heavyweight Championship is always going to be #2.

I used to argue that the WWE Title is above the World Title with a passion. Using logic, you would think it would be common sense for the WWE to put it’s Title above the “newer” World Title. No matter how one looks at it, NWA, WCW, World, Whatever, it’s still the Big Gold Belt, it’s still NOT the World Wrestling Entertainment Title.

Then I started thinking, maybe, just maybe, the WWE is treating the Spinner and the Big Gold as equals. Both Titles have spent time on both Red and Blue Shows. Both Titles have Main Evented PPVs. Both Titles have been dubbed, “The Richehst Prize in our Business today”. Both Titles have been held by Chris Jericho, Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Randy Orton, Batista, Kurt Angle, Undertaker, Edge, John Cena, and Jeff Hardy, or as I like to call them, the “Top 10 WWE Superstars from the inception of the World Heavyweight Title to today”.

Fact of the matter is, they are BOTH World Titles in the WWE. They are both the Top Titles on their show and one is not higher up on the totem pole than the other. The same can be said for both sides of the argument in regards to the IC and US Titles, the World and WWE Tag Titles, as well as the Women’s and Divas Titles. Yes, one was created first (WWE, IC, World Tag, Women’s), but it doesn’t really matter, does it??

The one thing we can all agree on is that the ECW Title is half a step below the WWE and World Titles and half a step above the IC and US Titles. I personally think it’s equal to the WWE / World Titles, but it’s so hard to find someone to agree with that.

Not really, as Dagger Dias list shows, the biggest names in Sports Entertainment history have held the WWE Championship , the likes of Ric Flair:flair:, TripleH, RVD, Hulk Hogan, Undertaker, Stone Cold Steve Austin, shall I go on, and it has been around since the very beginning(WWF), while the World Heavyweight Championship has only been around for a few years when WWF bought out WCW, sure some big names have held it, but some not so glamorous names have held it, you know who I'm talking about

Not really, as Dagger Dias list shows, the biggest names in Sports Entertainment history have held the WWE Championship , the likes of Ric Flair:flair:, TripleH, RVD, Hulk Hogan, Undertaker, Stone Cold Steve Austin, shall I go on, and it has been around since the very beginning(WWF), while the World Heavyweight Championship has only been around for a few years when WWF bought out WCW, sure some big names have held it, but some not so glamorous names have held it, you know who I'm talking about

:lol:

I seriously dont know the difference between belts except for their designs I cant tell you which one is bigger in status.Personally I few them as the same with whatever title being on Raw obviously being featured more. The days of the importance of lineage are over.

:lol:

I seriously dont know the difference between belts except for their designs I cant tell you which one is bigger in status.Personally I few them as the same with whatever title being on Raw obviously being featured more. The days of the importance of lineage are over.

Really, how can you say that, which show are you watching anyway, because from what you said it sure as hell isn't WWE, are are you just a TNA fan hating on WWE, the WWE Championship is possibly the most prestigious championship in all of Professional wrestling, where's your proof that it is anything but:wtf:

Really, how can you say that, which show are you watching anyway, because from what you said it sure as hell isn't WWE, are are you just a TNA fan hating on WWE, the WWE Championship is possibly the most prestigious championship in all of Professional wrestling, where's your proof that it is anything but:wtf:

Nope, both WWE World titles are pretty much interchangable to me. When talking about lineage can anyone honestly tell me who where the last ten champions of either for example?

I would have to say the WWE is more highly regarded. I say that simply because the WWE title is on Raw and Raw is the company's number one show. The WWE title also has more history within the company than the World Heavyweight title. The WHC was just created (or revived if you want to count it as a revival of the NWA title) for the brand split. WWE title definitely carries more history and prestige in terms of the company.

The World Heavyweight Championship's history began at September 2nd, 2002.

That's a common belief, however it's wrong. The belt is a tribute to the WCW and NWA Championships.... but it is not the same belt. It was created when Raw needed a world title after the Undisputed Championship became Smackdown exclusive, then the belts traded brands in 2005.

Ok, yes. Let's take a look at that. I will list out each wrestler who has held the WWE Championship and then do the same for the World Heavyweight Championship.

WWE Championship
Buddy Rogers
Bruno Sammartino
Ivan Koloff
Pedro Morales
Stan Stasiak
Billy Graham
Bob Backlund
Antonio Inoki
Iron Sheik
Hulk Hogan
Andre the Giant
Randy Savage
Ultimate Warrior
Sgt Slaughter
Undertaker
Ric Flair
Bret Hart
Yokozuna
Diesel
Shawn Michaels
Sycho Sid
Steve Austin
Kane
The Rock
Mankind
Triple H
Vince McMahon
Big Show
Kurt Angle
Chris Jericho
Brock Lesnar
Eddie Guerrero
JBL
John Cena
Edge
RVD
Randy Orton
Jeff Hardy
Batista
Sheamus

That's quite an impressive list, and that wasn't even the full title history, that's just the list of who's held the belt before. Now, let's take a look at who has held the World Heavyweight Championship, which is a shorter and less prestigious list.

World Heavyweight Championship
Triple H
Shawn Michaels
Goldberg
Chris Benoit
Randy Orton
Batista
Kurt Angle
Rey Mysterio
King Booker
Undertaker
Edge
The Great Khali
CM Punk
Chris Jericho
John Cena
Jeff Hardy
Jack Swagger

See what I mean? The history of the WWE Championship is far more prestigious, therefore it is the more important title. The announcers will always put over the Raw world title as being more prestigious due to Raw being the flagship brand, so onscreen in kayfabe the World Heavyweight Championship was put over as being more prestigious from September 2002 until June 2005, then again briefly from June 2008 until February 2009. Outside of kayfabe, there is no contest. The WWE Championship is far more prestigious because of its long history of title holders. The World Heavyweight Championship is always going to be #2.

Well it's a funny thing that the WWE themselves say that the World Heavyweight Title, WCW Title and NWA Title are all the same Title that just went through each organization. So if the WWE is going to consider them the same title then you must include all who held it in those organizations as well. And when you do that, the WWE Championship doesn't hold a candle to it.

Well it's a funny thing that the WWE themselves say that the World Heavyweight Title, WCW Title and NWA Title are all the same Title that just went through each organization. So if the WWE is going to consider them the same title then you must include all who held it in those organizations as well. And when you do that, the WWE Championship doesn't hold a candle to it.

According to WWE.com's title history pages, the World Heavyweight Championship was born on September 2nd 2002 with Triple H being the first one to hold the belt. The belt's design is a tribute to other belts such as the WCW belt, but the WCW Championship was unified with the WWE Championship when they created the Undisputed Championship, which was then turned back into the WWE Championship in August of 2002, just before the creation of the World Heavyweight Championship.

Your argument that the WHC includes all the WCW history actually works against you because the WCW title was unified with the WWE title in 2001, meaning that the exact opposite of what you stated is actually what's true. The WWE Championship is, and will always be, more of a big deal than the WHC because of all the prestige and history that it legitimately has.

Finally, before that DVD with the "history" of the WHC is brought up, they included the NWA and WCW lineage in order to make that DVD more interesting to potential buyers. The NWA and WCW "history" are not truly part of the WHC's history, it came into existence 7 and a half years ago.

The World Heavyweight title is the oldest world championship in wrestling you would know this if you seen the DVD. Plus it looks nicer and its heritage goes back almost a 100 years so it is the bigger more prestigous title. The WWE title is an entertainers title its forf the best show man or the best character with no wrestling ability like the current WWE champion John Cena. Now when you think about past wrestling like the 70's and the 80's when each title holders were named you had the non wrestler Billy Graham the wwe champ then you had Harley Race the nwa world heavyweight champion or Hulk Hogan wwe champ and Ric Flair the NWA champ. Now dont get me wrong real wrestlers have held the wwe title like bob backland, bruno sanmartino, and kurt angle and great pro wrestlers like bret hart hbk randy savage stone cold triple h have had their run as WWE champions. But when you list the world heavyweight champions before bischoff wcw era and wwe era they were the best wrestlers in the business. The world heavyweight championship will always be the greater of the 2 because of its 100 year old merrit.

I think the WWE holds the WWE Championship in higher regard. They always give it to the TOP stars of the company: John Cena, Randy Orton, Triple H...the order it's defended at a PPV doesn't matter. At the ned of the day, the WWE Championship is on Raw, the 'flagship.' That has to count for something. Also, any new superstars to the title scene (such as MITB winners) tend to go after the WH championship.
Also, the WWE's incarnation of the Wh Championship is only eight years old, and posseses much less history.

However, with all that being said, the way the WWE title has been passed around and treated has causes the belt to loose a lot of prestige, but I dont think this is intentional

I think whatever title is on Raw is the main title. I know in the past they have switched spots during the draft and what not but the Raw title is the main title.

I think the biggest is the one which is in Raw.Back to days that WHC was in Raw , It was the main title and now that WWE title is on Raw , It's the biggest one.

After WM 18 that we have 2 World titles , in 5 Wrestlemanias Raw championship match was the main event , in 2 SD title was and in 1 none of them were ( which by the way Raw's match was upper in the card.)

We also have seen that John Cena , the No.1 guy has been WWE champion more than anyone in last decade so i think these days WWE championship has more prestige and more credibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back