Handing Seth Rollins the World Heavyweight Championship

No Count Pup

Just call on me brother
Seth Rollins had some great heat on Smackdown. The heel turn is working so far, and WWE should keep the steam going. Why not hand Seth Rollins the Big Gold Belt, the World Heavyweight Championship?

I know the jury is still out on whether the WWE World Heavyweight Championship unification has worked or not. In my view, it's time to split the titles again. Having one champion has not increased the quality of WWE programming. There are too many big time players that could be vying for the championship.

WWE could strike while the iron is hot. In the storyline world, Seth Rollins was promised something to betray the Shield and join Triple H's side. It would make perfect sense if he was promised the World Heavyweight Championship on a silver platter. It would give Rollins white hot heat, the same way Triple H met a chorus of boos when he was handed the same title in 2002.

Would it make sense to split the two world titles and award the World Heavyweight Championship to Seth Rollins? In what ways would it be good? In what ways is it a horrible idea?

Reactions: JBM
While that would be a fresh idea, I just not in favor of splitting the titles again. Plus with Randy Orton still wanting the belts I'm not sure how that would play out. I'd much rather see how he pans out in Evolution for a while before putting any title on him. Clearly he's entering a program against his former stablemates and I,don't see the sense of him being handed the belt.

Can't see it happening. Randy Orton is the elephant in that particular room, and he wouldn't take too kindly to going from being the touted "face of the WWE" to being overlooked for Rollins. Unless they give Orton a programme involving the WWE title, but without wishing to upset any Orton fans here, I have no interest in seeing him as WWE champion. At least give it some time before resurrecting it is all I say. Not saying it couldn't happen, but he'll be working a programme against Ambrose and Reigns for the time being.

Another "let's split the titles up" thread? It never ceases to amaze me how many threads pop up suggesting that WWE does the exact opposite of what numerous threads have been screaming for them to do after they've finally done it. I can't count the number of threads on this and various other forums over the past 5 years in which people have begged WWE to go back to having a single World Championship and ending the brand split altogether. Here we are though, less than half a year since WWE unified the WWE & World Heavyweight Championships and did away with the last remnant of the brand split, yet there've probably been a dozen threads since suggesting that they reinstate the split and split the two titles. :disappointed: It's been within the past month or so that WWE has started to initiate another long desired hope: devoting time and energy to elevating the Intercontinental and United States Championships. Now that the World Heavyweight Championship has been deactivated, and has been viewed by a good number of fans for the last several years of its existence, unofficially of course, as the upper mid-card title, that leaves additional time that WWE looks to be devoting to the actual mid-card championships; at least for now.

As far as Seth Rollins heel turn is concerned, of course it's working so far. He hasn't been turned a full week, has had only a single match and provided enough of an "explanation" to keep people wondering why he did it. It's gotten off to a good start, but it's FAR too early to be talking about Seth Rollins as being World Champion. I think Rollins has what it takes to be champ some day, he's the overall strongest member of The Shield in my opinion, but it's extremely early in this turn and it's certainly possible for things to fall apart based on wherever Vince ultimately wants to go in terms of booking. For example, what if Vince's "schizophrenia" severely flares up, he loses faith/interest in Rollins and winds up feeding him to Roman Reigns and/or Dean Ambrose? Or, what if he decides to offer him up as the latest in a good sized line of promising talents turned sacrificial lamb to John Cena?

Another "let's split the titles up" thread? It never ceases to amaze me how many threads pop up suggesting that WWE does the exact opposite of what numerous threads have been screaming for them to do after they've finally done it. I can't count the number of threads on this and various other forums over the past 5 years in which people have begged WWE to go back to having a single World Championship and ending the brand split altogether. Here we are though, less than half a year since WWE unified the WWE & World Heavyweight Championships and did away with the last remnant of the brand split, yet there've probably been a dozen threads since suggesting that they reinstate the split and split the two titles. :disappointed: It's been within the past month or so that WWE has started to initiate another long desired hope: devoting time and energy to elevating the Intercontinental and United States Championships. Now that the World Heavyweight Championship has been deactivated, and has been viewed by a good number of fans for the last several years of its existence, unofficially of course, as the upper mid-card title, that leaves additional time that WWE looks to be devoting to the actual mid-card championships; at least for now.

I appreciate your response. My emphasis is more on the idea of handing Seth Rollins a world title for heel heat than it is about a discussion on splitting the titles. When Triple H was handed the World Title in 2002, it was a major deal. Triple H didn't win the title, it was given to him and fans were irate. If Triple H hands Seth Rollins the same World Title that was awarded to him, it could make Seth Rollins a true top heel for years to come.

I never wanted the titles unified. I agree there are too many guys that could be having high quality programs for the world title, stuck doing nothing. I saw this happening when everyone asked for it and it was more apparent when they actually went through with it because there was a lot of world guys who would quickly become title contenders. With that being said, I love your idea. It makes plenty sense if they have Stephanie strip DB of the belt anyway they could split them up again with Orton taking the WWE title (ugh) and Rollins taking the WHC and each of them would rule a brand with Triple H in control of the company sort of like a Two Man Power trip. You can have the feuds with the Shield and Batista, a returning Daniel Bryan and everything. If they look to only split them temporarily have DB unify them again.

Dumb idea, something like that would take weeks to build up just to do something like that, Rollins still isn't a singles guy, its not like the Rock when he joined the corporation, he was already a title contender at that point.

Not only that Orton is the guy who should be first in line for the title or a title shot, and I bet that comes into play sooner or later considering he was the last guy to be champion and still hasn't had a title rematch.

Besides that I don't think anyone wants to see the belts split up again... Lets face it, your full of BS if you think the belts should be split, all that does is make the IC title, the US title, and tag belts even more meaningless, and the same guys who usually cry for the belts to be split up usually cry cause the IC title isn't used correctly. IC title is as meaningful right now as it has been since the 90s.

I appreciate your response. My emphasis is more on the idea of handing Seth Rollins a world title for heel heat than it is about a discussion on splitting the titles. When Triple H was handed the World Title in 2002, it was a major deal. Triple H didn't win the title, it was given to him and fans were irate. If Triple H hands Seth Rollins the same World Title that was awarded to him, it could make Seth Rollins a true top heel for years to come.

So Orton won them to unify them. Imagine what a slap in the face that would be to split the belts and give it to Rollins. Completely ignoring the fact that's what Orton wants and unified them. When HHH was handed the big gold belt he was already in the main event picture. HHH wasn't a mid card wrestler suddenly pushed to the top.

If Triple H hands Seth Rollins the same World Title that was awarded to him, it could make Seth Rollins a true top heel for years to come.
Whilst Rollins' heel turn is an interesting twist to this story, I guess Rollins will end up being a face like Shawn Michaels. His move set is too likable, so I don't see him as a heel for long. And for the record, I would like to see Ambrose as an independent face cuz we all know he could be an amazing heel, with resemblance to the Joker, but I would really like to see how he would perform as a face. Reigns is very overrated tho. I like him, but the guy is getting too much credit. All of them are good, but the other two are at least one step above Reigns

I'd hate to see them split the titles again, Rollins doesn't need it right now, you can easily give him the IC or US title to extend what we assume will be a lengthy feud with Ambrose and or Reigns. For right now, turning on the Shield is enough and his heat is through actual storytelling. It's working.

Splitting the titles would be moving backwards.

Not to pile on but as much as I get the idea and can see the heat it would generate, I don't want the titles split and even less do I think it would be good for Rollins to be handed a world title. We've barely dusted off the heel turn, we still don't have a reason for it, we can get solid fruds between Rollins and his former mates, he's barely had time to establish himself as a singles competitor, and most importantly:

I'M AFRAID HE WOULD TURN IN TO ANOTHER ZIGGLER OR SWAGGER!!!

Let's not rush things. Let him establish himself with wins over the mid card and see him stay competitive in his feuds and the occassional run in with a top guy.

In my opinion unifying the World Titles has added a significance to the IC & US Titles again, we have Sheamus & Wade Barrett as IC & US Champs, if the World Title was split then those two would be competing for the WWE/World Titles. So instead of a diluted product we've got main-eventers wrestling for mid/upper card titles which is a good thing.

Tell me what you guys think...

Since I'm a wrestling conspiracy theorist, I believe that Seth will not stay a heel for long and that this is a plan by The Shield. HHH was so adamant about destroying The Shield that it caused Batista to quit... That shows conviction. So Rollins thinks (kayfabe offscreen)"let's give him what he wants", makes a deal and "betrays" his brothers. He does this because he knows that HHH has unlimited power and resources (11-3 remember?) so this is the only way to really finish them off.

Now on topic. If Daniel Bryan has to vacate the title, I would love to see HHH place Rollins in the MitB match over Orton, after weeks of Rollins playing "teachers pet" and alienating Orton from HHH. Orton walks out on HHH, but it's all good, he's got he boy Rollins. MitB happens and Rollins wins, maybe even with an assist from HHH. They're celebrating to a chorus of boos. Sierra. Hotel. India... Ambrose and Reigns hit ringside through the crowd while Rollins and HHH square up in the ring... BAM, Rollins smashes HHH with the title, and finally (And The Rock means finally) HHH receives the Cerberus Bomb he so richly deserves.

There's one unified roster so why on Earth would you split the titles? This idea makes zero sense. The WWE doesn't need another midcard title. If anything it's time to faze the world title out and go back to calling it the WWE championship.

It would be a horrible idea to split the title, and even more horrible idea to give one of them to Rollins at this moment. Too many big time players that 'could' be vying for the title is a bad thing? Is it even a real situation when many upper mid card players are involved in mid card angles?

Lesnar, Bastista, Punk are gone. Bryan, Cena, Orton, Reigns(maybe), Cesaro are names I think of that could hold the title. And two of those names above have been in the title picture for 10+ years and the ADD fans of today moan and groan each them Cena or Orton gets involve with the title.

You want to hand him the belt, if Bryan is out then why not let Rollins win MITB as part of Evolution to help garner momentum? IMO just handing someone the title never works, but helping him win MITB that draws heat, hell chaos would ensue because the Shield would try and stop Rollins from winning making the crowd red hot, Half baked ideas baking fully

Seth Rollins had some great heat on Smackdown. The heel turn is working so far, and WWE should keep the steam going. Why not hand Seth Rollins the Big Gold Belt, the World Heavyweight Championship?

This could be a good idea in the long run. Seth Rollins is a future star, as is each member of The Shield and what happened on monday showed WWE's level of trust in Rollins. Not just anyone would get selected to work with Evolution. It is too soon as of right this very moment, but if he continues to get strong heel reactions from the fans this summer, then winning the World Heavyweight Championship at Summerslam would be a great way to further show that he is the future of the company.

I know the jury is still out on whether the WWE World Heavyweight Championship unification has worked or not. In my view, it's time to split the titles again. Having one champion has not increased the quality of WWE programming. There are too many big time players that could be vying for the championship.

STOP RIGHT THERE. I agreed with you until you said this. The world titles should not be seperated. The title structure in its current form is just fine. What they should be doing is making the Intercontinental and US Championships have the importance that a #2 and #3 title respectively should have. Seth could main event someday. If this Evolution storyline works out well and he gets strong heel reactions, he may be ready for a world title shot. He's an excellent wrestler and is good in promos. Sending him to the midcard belts or even a returning big gold World Heavyweight Championship would be a demotion for him. Give him a chance at the top. Roman is already headed there, Ambrose should get there soon too, so let Seth have his shot. No de-unification is needed.

Would it make sense to split the two world titles and award the World Heavyweight Championship to Seth Rollins? In what ways would it be good? In what ways is it a horrible idea?

It is a good idea if he gets a shot at the current World Heavyweight Championship. He deserves a chance and this huge heel turn is his opportunity. Roman has the better finisher and look of a champion. Ambrose is better on the mic. Seth was the best Shield member in the ring, but he was the one who needed this heel turn the most to help get noticed. I want to see him get a big opportunity and this can get him just that. If the belts got seperated again, then it would not be nearly as big of a deal for him to get a shot at the big gold belt. WWE clearly made it into the secondary title when they had two world titles. Keep them unified, retire the big gold belt so that only one belt is carried around, and give Seth a chance at THAT one. Then have him enter title feuds with Roman, Ambrose, and Bryan starting at Summerslam. There's your fall semester's worth of world title feuds right there.

It is a good idea if he gets a shot at the current World Heavyweight Championship. He deserves a chance and this huge heel turn is his opportunity. Roman has the better finisher and look of a champion. Ambrose is better on the mic. Seth was the best Shield member in the ring, but he was the one who needed this heel turn the most to help get noticed. I want to see him get a big opportunity and this can get him just that. If the belts got seperated again, then it would not be nearly as big of a deal for him to get a shot at the big gold belt. WWE clearly made it into the secondary title when they had two world titles. Keep them unified, retire the big gold belt so that only one belt is carried around, and give Seth a chance at THAT one. Then have him enter title feuds with Roman, Ambrose, and Bryan starting at Summerslam. There's your fall semester's worth of world title feuds right there.

I would love to see Seth Rollins win the unified WWE World Heavyweight Championship. I just don't know if WWE is willing to put all their eggs in that basket.

It's a shame that WWE is so tentative, because this feud has Attitude Era levels of intensity written all over it. I think it would be elevated if they were also battling for gold.

Austin vs. Rock was great, but with a world title at stake it was epic. Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels would have been an awesome feud either way, but it was ratcheted up a notch because of the world title. Same goes for Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart. The WrestleMania 10 match was amazing, but inserting a world title in the brother vs. brother rivalry made their cage match all the more memorable.

You want him to get heel heat not real heat.If you do this Rollins would legit be hated for years by some because he didn't earn it.That would go along the lines of "handed on a silver platter." While I think Rollins have potiental and SHOULD win the belt before 2014 is over he should not have it handed to him.Look at Trips the fans has hated him since he was handed the title in 2002.Before that even as a heel he was a fan favorite.

Absolutely no to splitting the World Titles. There should only be one champ. End of that.

However, I do think the idea of Rollins becoming World Champ is a good one. He is clearly talented and I reckon they should give him the title while he is still hot. If Bryan is injured then it definitely makes sense. For example, cashing in MITB on Bryan would ensure he is the most hated guy in wrestling and a World Title run could be fantastic.

I've never understood why people are so adament about the titles being unified. But until now I've kept my opinion to myself. Obviously, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and there definitely seemed to be a big demand from the IWC to unify the titles, so my opinion is that of the minority. Regardless, here it goes...

Having 2 seperate titles does not diminsh anything. The booking/angles are what diminishes the value of the titles. The WWE championship is/was known to be top belt in the WWE, while the WHC strap was second. After that, one could argue the Intercontinental championship, then the U.S. Championship in that order. The U.S. Championship, if it were my call, would be used for up and comers who are considered top talent, or guys who need a little credibility. The IC belt is for the mid-upper card guys who deserve recognition for their contributions and abilities, but don't quite fit the mold of "the guy".

The WHC is for those guys who are right there in the mix of it all. A lot of guys can go back and forth between the IC and WHC while a lot of other guys can go for both the WHC and WWE belts. Here are some examples of my thoughts. US championship-Swagger, Big E, Del Rio, Bo Dallas, Evan Bourne, etc. The IC championship would fit guys like Cody Rhodes, Ambrose, Rollins, Barrett, Sheamus, and yes...Daniel Bryan. The WHC fits guys like Big Show, Cena, Bray Wyatt, Roman Reigns, Bryan, Ambrose, Rollins, Orton, HHH, Batista, etc.

Then the WWE championship is for the cream of the crop. The face of the WWE...Wyatt, Orton, Cena, Bryan, HHH, Reigns. Bryan is the only small guy I would put in here because of the massive reactions he gets. But he's not going to be a guy who's there forever I don't think.

The names don't really matter...their talent, draw, charisma, mic skills and fan reaction are what puts them in their proper tiers. If creative puts together solid programs for the talent and the respective champhionships...there's no reason why there can't be 4 singles titles.

Anyway...love it or hate it, that's my 2 cents.

Cheers.

lol at splitting the titles and undoing any good the last couple years have ushered in for the WWE. Do really want the IC and US belts to mean absolutely nothing??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back