• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is It Time To End The Pro Bowl?

Turd Ferguson

DA-DA Da Da Da Bah Da Da DADADA
It's something that I've been wondering about.

The Pro Bowl is a game where nobody wants to play, given with how many players pulled out. There is very little media coverage of it to begin with, except when a player decides to pull out. The fans clearly do not care, as its usually very low rated, and not really talked about. The coaches of the game are coaches who already lost in the playoffs. The last thing they want to do is go coach that game.

Football is a physical game. Players don't want to put themselves on the line for an exhibition game. You can't do two hand touch. That's why so many players pull out. At the end, football's All-Star Game has Vince Young, who had to have been like seventh down the list, starting the game. The game itself is annoying to watch, with substitutions taking place. Hardly any defense is played, because nobody wants to hurt anyone in a game like this. There is nothing to gain, and a lot to lose.

The NFL, in a GENIUS plan, decided to put the Pro Bowl before the Super Bowl this year. As a result, a lot of the incentive for the players to actually play in the game (a free trip to Hawaii) is gone. The NFL also didn't realize that some players who are voted into the Pro Bowl are also probably going to play in the Super Bowl.

Years ago, the Pro Bowl was worth watching. Not everyone had cable or really paid close attention to the NFL. It was worth tuning in to see what some of these players had to offer. But with the age of the internet and fantasy sports, everyone knows who the top stars are. Everyone even knows the starting QB and RB and #1 WR of each NFL team. Games are a lot more widely available.

Furthermore, the MLB, NBA, and NHL make their All-Star Games an EVENT, not just a game. The MLB has the Home Run Derby, and there is some added intrigue with the winner of the All-Star Game getting Home-Field Advantage for the World Series. The NBA has the Skills Competition and Slam-Dunk Competition. The NHL has their skills competition and the Rookie vs. Sophomore game.

I'm not sure what the NFL can do. I think they should just scrap the Pro Bowl altogether and just name the "All-Pro Teams". It's not really the Pro Bowl when David Garrard is in there throwing touchdown passes anyway.

In my opinion no they should not scrap the pro bowl and here is why. The Pro Bowl has been around for over 30 years and has included some future and current Hall of Famers. It is always a high-scoring game because the majority of people like high-scoring offenses as opposed to good defense. The players don't play as hard because they don't want to injure each other. It isn't a meaningless game its a game for the fans. You brought up that the other sports leagues make their all star game an event. Why not recommend that. I remember they used to do Skills Competitions with the Pro Bowl. Featuring the Quarterbacks and Receivers. Maybe that would add to the fun of the Pro Bowl. It's back in Hawaii next year anyway. By the way Dwight Freeney didn't get hurt playing in the Pro Bowl because he didn't play in it. The Super Bowl teams weren't allowed. That's a large part of why there were so many alternates in the game.

It's possible to half-scrap it, isn't it? I don't think the game should ever actually be played, but to put a team together, and give them a little patch to wear on their sleeve for the finish of the season isn't so bad.

It'll cut back on each team having about 70 members when all is said and done with injuries and personal responsibilities, and will give you a true "best of". Does anyone think Schaub should have been starting for the AFC? Having him on the team is good, but don't try to put it over that he should start.

I think two things should happen.

1. Scrap the actual game. Like NightShiftLegend said, give them the honor of being voted into the Pro Bowl, but don't make them play a game and risk injury.
2. Bring back the Pro Bowl Skills Challenge. When they had this, it was 10x more fun to watch than the Pro Bowl Game itself. I would love to see some of the younger guys, like Schaub, DeSean Jackson, and Haloti Ngata, have a chance to compete in the skills challenges against the older vets like Manning, Ochocinco and Hampton.

And as far as Schaub starting goes, he lead the NFL in passing yards and was 5th in the NFL in passing TDs this season. Granted, if Manning or Brady would've been at the game, I'm sure they would've gotten the start, but I think those two are the only ones who would've started over Schaub, and for the guys that were present, Schaub was a no-brainer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back