• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Super Bowl Location

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
Now the Super Bowl is one of the biggest extravagances in sports. The storied feast day of the American calendar is a must partake festivity, even if you don't watch the NFL.

But there is a big difference between it and other championships, such as the World Series, the NBA Championships, the Stanley Cup in that it does not take place in either of the two teams home fields. Of course the three later championships are all seven game series, meaning each team gets at least two games played in each city. But the Super Bowl lasts for one day, one game, one city.

And that city is usually a city ready to celebrate. New Orleons, Los Angeles, Miami, all hot locations even in the winter. But is it fair to have the Super Bowl in cities with no team, or never made the Super Bowl as opposed to the team in the championship with the best standings?

I think that if the Patriots have the best regular season record, and they are in the playoffs, than they deserve to have the super bowl in their city, no matter how cold it is. Playing in the snow is fun. Or is it? Now I am conflicted. Oh dear.

I don't think the NFL wants their fans to sit through the Frozen Tundra of Gillet Stadium. I mean really who wants to sit through 4 quarters of football, TV time outs, regular time outs etc in 20 degree weather with snowy conditions at Foxborough (sp). I'd rather have it at Indy no offense where its in a dome. don't get me wrong it would be the right thing to do but the superbowl has always been in warm stadiums and I don't think its gonna change.

Playing football in cold weather sucks. Well, it's less fun. The hits sting, the ground is harder, and the ball is harder as well. Snowy weather tends to bog the game down too. The reason they keep in warm weather cities, or domes, is to ensure the the contest is between the two teams, not Mother Nature vs. the passing game.

The warm weather also ensures that fans are treated to a better game. If three feet of snow are on the the field, the game is slower and generally lower scoring.

Finally, the game is a reward for players. It's tough to tell guys after 22-23 games, including preseason, to celebrate their season in Green Bay.

My main point against the cold is this. There is only one CFL team in the league that has a doom, the BC Lions, the rest place outside. The CFL plays into November and the players, and fans both still have a great time playing out in the cold.

You know, I really hate people trying to compare the CFL to the NFL. Look at the CFL's quality; college games will sometimes look better. This is the NFL, this is the highest pinnacle of football in the America's, probably even the world (You know which one I mean).

The Super Bowl needs to be in a massive stadium, a place where people can come out and flaunt their teams colors. Do you really want to see them all bundled up for the biggest game of the season? FTS is right. You want a high scoring, exciting game. That's what a warm weather, controlled environment can allow to happen.

Comparing like terms? Yeah, that is foolish to do on a discussion board mate.come to think of it, WCW used to have unmatched quality, so really, we shouldnt compare the Attitude Era to the NWO era.

Back to the ACTUAL topic on hands, the discussion really relates back to the team with the best standings getting to play on their home field, in front of their home fans. If the Patriots are the best team in the league, and they meet the Panthers, and the game is in Atlanta, who will have the most fans there? Is that fair?

The Super Bowl is only few minutes away from where I live next year...wish I was going. Anyway, playing a Super Bowl in the snow would be a bad idea. The game itself might not be that bad, but do you think fans would pay a ton of money to sit in a stadium for three hours, and freeze their asses off? No. The Super Bowl is best held at a location where you wont have to worry about this problem.

The Super Bow XXXIII was held down here in Miami. If the Dolphins had the best record at the time, I would've loved to see Marino play the big game in his hometown, but when I think about it, it wouldn't be right. The Super Bowl is an event where people come from all over the country to watch the big game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back