Is it time for the Authority angle/figures to end?

BestWrestlingOpinions

Getting Noticed By Management
In the summer of 2011, with the whole Cm Punk storyline, Vince as the authority figure was involved. This lasted for the bigger part of the summer, were HHH stepped up, beat Punk, they tagged together, then the Authority angle kinda faded away, since they had Laurinaitis be the GM. Sure, Punk feuded with John for some time, but nothing that special. So we can safely say that the Authority angle back then ran for 4-5 months? Then, they didn't do anything major for the next one and a half years.

Bryan comes in. HHH screws him and officially starts a Bryan vs Authority feud, which had been going on still to this day, which means it is going on for like 9 months now and it doesn't seem it is coming to an end any time soon. BUT, shouldn't it just end now?

We got the big pay off. Bryan defeated the entire Authority single handedly at WM, won the championships clean. Nobody should be able to touch him. He proved what he had to prove. A feud with him and HHH doesn't do anything. He already beat him clean at WM and went on to win the WWEWHC later. Sure, it might create some interesting top storyline, but I think it doesn't offer something good anymore. I think that on Raw, HHH needed to accept his defeat and fade away as the Authority angle, disappear for the next 2-3 months or something, even longer if needed, and let the Superstars themselves work the show.

Instead of having Bryan feud with the Authority, they could have some other guy step up and go after the titles. Orton lost, I guess he has a rematch that could happen at Extreme Rules. Batista lost. HHH lost. Cena should keep feuding with Bray. How about Bray runs over Cena eventually and he goes after the titles? Meanwhile, Bryan can have a feud with Cesaro, who of all people won the Andre Memorial Battle Royal.

Bottom line is, the Authority angle and the Authority figures in general have run their course for so long now, they should just step back. I don't know who should be in line for the WWEWHC, but some new guys would be the best. Let Orton and Batista team up and go for the tag belts. Let them feud with the Shield for the belts. Enter the Wyatts in that feud. Let that division build. In the meanwhile, let Bray go after the WWEWHC, or give Cena his rematch from Summerslam (since he bear Bray at WM too). Hell, turn Ziggler back to heel and let him chase. BUT end the Authority thing already. It's old and it is annoying to have to deal with HHH and Stephanie for 1 hour in every show. It ran its course, there is nothing else amazing that can come out of it.

Sorry to break it to you, but the Authority storyline will be running for a few more months at least. It is an easy story to relate to for the general public, which is why wrestling keeps coming back to it, and is frequently very popular.

As for your suggestions:
• having Orton/Batista decimate the Usos on Raw, and not even look bothered about the countout, shows that they won't be chasing the tag titles anytime soon
• it's way too soon for Bray Wyatt to fight for the title (ditto Roman Reigns, I'm so glad they halted the Shield breakup) - let the character grow and get more in-ring credibility first.
• I firmly believe that, regardless of fan reaction, keeping Cesaro heel (in the eyes of bookers at least) was done so they could promote a Cesaro-Bryan feud, I reckon even as soon as Payback or Money in the Bank. Cesaro won't win the title, but the series should serve to make both look incredibly strong

To be completely honest, I didn't think they'd be able to keep The Authority angle going for as long as they have and keep it interesting, but I was wrong. There was some stumbling along the way and a few outright mistakes made but all in all, The Authority against Daniel Bryan has made for some very compelling television. With the addition of The Shield into the mix, Bryan has some allies to balance things out even though there's no love lost between Bryan & The Shield. You've got Triple H, Orton, Batista & Kane on one side and Bryan & The Shield on the other. Essentially, it's the old guard vs. the new guard. It's a grand opportunity for these veterans to elevate these young guys as WWE seems to be very much in the middle of what looks to be a genuine youth movement. There've been teases over the past several years, but Vince has always sort of stepped in to reassert the status quo. WWE is reaching a point, however, where they have to push new guys and I honestly believe that Triple H may have been able to persuade Vince to see that. The ending of the streak has been viewed by a lot of people as the final passing of the old guard. Cena's getting older and they can't just keep relying on him forever, fans reacted negatively to Batista coming back and being given a prime spot, fans are generally bored with Orton being at the top of the ladder, Taker's career is pretty much done due to having nothing left to accomplish and his body clearly breaking down, Triple H's responsibilities as an executive seem to grow by the week and he only wrestles a few times a year anyway, Christian's rumored to be retiring once his current deal ends and he's had a lot of injury issues the past few years, Chris Jericho, RVD & Triple H are all well into their 40s, CM Punk looks to be genuinely gone from WWE and fans themselves want to see fresh faces elevated.

There's even talk of doing some sort of War Games type match featuring Evolution against The Shield or Evolution & Kane against Bryan & The Shield. Unfortunately, according to reports, there's no arena WWE's booked for until SummerSlam that has an arena with the floor patter to allow the use of two rings.

As a result, I don't look for it to happen. If Bryan is still champion by SummerSlam, which I think he will be, I have a feeling he'll be booked into a feud with Brock Lesnar. I could see The Authority being frustrated by their inability to get the title off Bryan no matter what they throw at him, so they reach out to Brock Lesnar via Paul Heyman as sort of a "hired gun" if you will. Since Lesnar legitimately ended the streak, much to the shock of the world, it's only logical to see him in a program for the title upon his eventual return.

I was thinking about this as Raw ended Monday night (and I only spent 3 hours watching it because I thought we might get Sting or something else substantial). It really seems kind of pathetic that we have never gotten out of this groove of authority storylines. I might flip past TNA once a month when it's on and I know that's all they're ever coming up with too. Frankly it seems to send the message that the action among the talent just can't be entertaining enough on its own. No other "sport" so drastically needs to replace the actual focal point with behind the scenes stuff. Even though it's sports entertainment we are supposed to be taking it as a real athletic contest between athletes and at most the out-of-ring personal vendettas between them. Why the evil "office" characters have to exist in perpetuity is beyond me.

With all this talk of a new era starting after WM, which is ironic in itself with HHH in the main event of RAW, I think it's a good time to see if we can stop with the authority characters for a while. Who knows, maybe we can't, maybe it really is the strongest concept this industry can come up with. From evil Mr. McMahon to ECW battling the TNN network to Dixie Carter/MVP and McMahon Helmsley version 2 that we're dealing with now, it seems these storylines never cease to exist. This business really has seem to become "inter-office politics with some wrestling in the background" rather than wrestling. Every show and every company is based around this junk. All the general manager stuff and everything else has been done to death.

I'm not actually convinced that it can be successfully removed, maybe it's the thread that unravels the entire sweater when pulled. I'm saying I'd like to at least see an attempt to get away from it for a while. But it's kinda sad to possibly accept that a wrestling show can no longer remain viable with only wrestling + angles involving the actual wrestlers.

It's difficult to say what they're going to do with the Authority, partly because they've shifted things around so much in recent months.

Last year, it was going to be (apparently) a power struggle between the generations at the top of WWE: Vince vs. his daughter and son-in-law. Suddenly and surprisingly, that was dropped when Vince stopped appearing on TV. It seemed the Daniel Bryan program with all its ramifications is what put a halt to the political infighting at the top; all their resources were directed toward that program.

Okay, fine, but there were rumblings that the intra-family feud might get a boost at WM30. Instead.....nothing.

Maybe it will start up again now. They have characters in place like Kane, who in many ways has usurped the General Manager position at both Raw and Smackdown. Yes, he seems about as much an authority figure for a wrestling organization as Taylor Swift, yet in he and Triple H, they have two corporate executives who are capable of putting their muscle where their mouths are. On the anti-authority side might be The Shield, as surprising as that would have been a month ago.

No, I don't think it's time to end the role of the Authority. On the contrary, I believe they're going to finish off the Daniel Bryan program and move on to fighting each other, with the various elements aligning on either side and the whole shebang possibly being resolved at Summerslam.

BUT, shouldn't it just end now?

We got the big pay off. Bryan defeated the entire Authority single handedly at WM, won the championships clean. Nobody should be able to touch him. He proved what he had to prove. A feud with him and HHH doesn't do anything. He already beat him clean at WM and went on to win the WWEWHC later. Sure, it might create some interesting top storyline, but I think it doesn't offer something good anymore. I think that on Raw, HHH needed to accept his defeat and fade away as the Authority angle, disappear for the next 2-3 months or something, even longer if needed, and let the Superstars themselves work the show.

I don't agree with this part of your argument. Maybe in the fans eyes a feud with HHH and the authority does nothing but put it into perspective. You need BIG stars to put Bryan over as his first few months as Champion in order to keep him rolling instead of slowing down. Also if WWE is prepping Bryan as their next SCSA, John Cena, etc he needs to learn HOW to be a champion. He'll be working with Kane, HHH, Orton, and Batista, ALL main event players at one time or another and ALL multiple time World Champions... Bryan can do nothing but benefit from this.

The Authority angle started rough in my opinion. However, once Triple H and Stephanie stopped the fake nice people half heel crap, and turned full heel it got a lot better! I liked the angle leading up to and through WrestleMania. Now that they've added the whole new generation vs old generation to the angle I'm actually really excited about where this angle is going. That said I think by next years Raw after WrestleMania the Authority should be done and they should give the whole heel authortiy figure characters a break for awhile before it gets way to stale. I hope this whole Authorty angle is used as a transition so by next years time the new generation of stars are in full swing in WWE and stealing the show.

Lol, I highly doubt that with the talent on the WWE and NXT rosters the E is grooming Bryan to be their next anybody. Bryan is CLEARLY very limited with the mic and being a great in ring performer can only get you so far. He doesn't have the look, he doesn't have the mic skills, he just has a great work ethic and the fans. After watching wrestling for 25 years, I can say that guys with sub-par mic skills have a very tough time keeping the fans behind them for an extended period of time. The only guy I can think of was Benoit and while he was no giant, he at least had more of the "look" that the E desires for their star performers.

Why do people have to be dicks just to be dicks? The E isn't grooming Bryan for anything? HE JUST BEAT HHH ORTON AND BATISTA AT WM WHILE INJURED IN TWO MATCHES. Brock Lesnar just ended the streak and it's 95% likely that WWE's first choice for his first feud is Daniel Bryan... not Roman Reigns, not Bray Wyatt, not John Cena, or Randy Orton, or Cesaro, but Daniel Bryan. Still think he's not being "groomed".
Maybe you will remember way back when, when a long haired, tattoed, pierced wrestler named CM Punk couldn't work a mic to save his life... or when Eric Bischoff told SCSA he didn't have the right "look". If you never give somebody a chance to develop you'll always have subpar performers whether it be in the ring or on the mic.

Why do people have to be dicks just to be dicks? The E isn't grooming Bryan for anything? HE JUST BEAT HHH ORTON AND BATISTA AT WM WHILE INJURED IN TWO MATCHES. Brock Lesnar just ended the streak and it's 95% likely that WWE's first choice for his first feud is Daniel Bryan... not Roman Reigns, not Bray Wyatt, not John Cena, or Randy Orton, or Cesaro, but Daniel Bryan. Still think he's not being "groomed".
Maybe you will remember way back when, when a long haired, tattoed, pierced wrestler named CM Punk couldn't work a mic to save his life... or when Eric Bischoff told SCSA he didn't have the right "look". If you never give somebody a chance to develop you'll always have subpar performers whether it be in the ring or on the mic.

Stating the truth is not being a dick, it is being honest. I will just destroy both your examples for you though, Austin had a far better look than Bryan and Punk is one of the best on the mic. In fact, Punk has always been a great mic guy, I am not sure who said he was insufficient in that area. Give me a break man, you may not like my opinion but don't make a horrible argument against it. Come at me with more than that. The E is just riding the wave the same as they did with other stars they weren't really fond of. Say what you want about his wrestlemania but Bryan is nowhere near where Punk was at his peak and look where that got Phil Brooks. Bryan is about to turn 33, they aren't gonna groom him over other younger wrestlers with more skills. They are simply riding the wave and waiting for the time to jump off.

Stating the truth is not being a dick, it is being honest. I will just destroy both your examples for you though, Austin had a far better look than Bryan and Punk is one of the best on the mic. In fact, Punk has always been a great mic guy, I am not sure who said he was insufficient in that area. Give me a break man, you may not like my opinion but don't make a horrible argument against it. Come at me with more than that. The E is just riding the wave the same as they did with other stars they weren't really fond of. Say what you want about his wrestlemania but Bryan is nowhere near where Punk was at his peak and look where that got Phil Brooks. Bryan is about to turn 33, they aren't gonna groom him over other younger wrestlers with more skills. They are simply riding the wave and waiting for the time to jump off.

But it isn't the truth... To say that WWE is not "fond" of Daniel Bryan or that they're giving him the push they would give any other average wrestler who is over is friggin ABSURD. Case and point , HHH jobbed cleanly at Mania. H would not just do that for somebody he believes is just going to fade away. The WWE doesn't give the type of Wrestlemania moment they did to Daniel Bryan to "other stars they weren't really fond of", its kind of a HUGE deal in case you haven't been keeping up for the past 30 years.

On to you, "destroying" my arguments. "Austin had a better look than Bryan." Says who? It's all a matter of perspective... Bischoff thought Austin didn't have a look and Vince did, look at Austin now. You think Bryan doesn't have the "look"? Well obviously Vince Mcmahon DOES because he's the WWEWHC...
CM Punk was ALWAYS good on the mic? What, dif you just start watching WWE in 2010?... Go watch some of his promos when he won his first WWE title and tell me if he was still a "great talker".

But it isn't the truth... To say that WWE is not "fond" of Daniel Bryan or that they're giving him the push they would give any other average wrestler who is over is friggin ABSURD. Case and point , HHH jobbed cleanly at Mania. H would not just do that for somebody he believes is just going to fade away. The WWE doesn't give the type of Wrestlemania moment they did to Daniel Bryan to "other stars they weren't really fond of", its kind of a HUGE deal in case you haven't been keeping up for the past 30 years.

On to you, "destroying" my arguments. "Austin had a better look than Bryan." Says who? It's all a matter of perspective... Bischoff thought Austin didn't have a look and Vince did, look at Austin now. You think Bryan doesn't have the "look"? Well obviously Vince Mcmahon DOES because he's the WWEWHC...
CM Punk was ALWAYS good on the mic? What, dif you just start watching WWE in 2010?... Go watch some of his promos when he won his first WWE title and tell me if he was still a "great talker".

I have been watching for 25 years. Punk's always been a great talker maybe you just never realized it. Look back at his SES promos, he was great at drawing the crowd and always got over with his mic skills. The title is just a prop, it really doesn't mean nearly as much as you give it credit for. Like I said, enjoy it while it last because I have seen dozens of guys like this and they never last. Bryan is limited and you have yet to prove anything that apposes this view. Look, I get it, you are a fan of his but that doesn't mean you are right. His look is not what the E likes, his mic skills are sub-par and he is a great performer in the ring. At nearly 33 years old, this will be his peak. He had his moment, even though it was over-shadowed by Taker, in time he will fade away.

I have been watching for 25 years. Punk's always been a great talker maybe you just never realized it. Look back at his SES promos, he was great at drawing the crowd and always got over with his mic skills. The title is just a prop, it really doesn't mean nearly as much as you give it credit for. Like I said, enjoy it while it last because I have seen dozens of guys like this and they never last. Bryan is limited and you have yet to prove anything that apposes this view. Look, I get it, you are a fan of his but that doesn't mean you are right. His look is not what the E likes, his mic skills are sub-par and he is a great performer in the ring. At nearly 33 years old, this will be his peak. He had his moment, even though it was over-shadowed by Taker, in time he will fade away.

I think the WWE likes his look, in fact I think they're learning to love it. I have never watch the WWE really put over a guy like they did Bryan at Wreslemania. He beats triple clean, after pretty much no selling the pedigree. Then gets attacked after the match while still having an injury. Comes out, to the main event and gets the piss all beat out of him. Takes a batista bomb/RKO through the announce table, after kicking out of the batista bomb, is stretchered only to come back, take out batista and make him tap.

I mean it's Austin esq. imo. IMO, he's a lot like HBK with less mic skills, and a much better character. He learned from one of the best ever, and he tells a story in matches most guys wish they could. I expect WWE is going to milk this for all it's worth.

That said around summerslam Lesnar gets the belt. They need to cash in on Taker's streak, and there are only two people who can really challenge him at Wrestlemania next year at this moment. Bryan or Cena.

I think the current Authority Storyline with the Shield now coming to the fore as more than just lackeys and actually taking on HHH and the rest of the Authority, has given new legs to the Storyline for it to last until SummerSlam.

I think now, HHH will be more concerned with the Shield and trying to pummel them alongwith Kane, whilst Daniel Bryan will be more in a programme with Orton and Batista.

All in all, there will now be 2 programmes going forward...one with the Shield side of the story, and the other being the second chapter of the Daniel Bryan underdog story.

The great thing about it is; There are loads of possibilities in such a programme going forward and I think it will be even more interesting than it was last year....so much so, that if done smartly, this new twist in the Authority storyline can see 4 Main Event matches at WM31 being the end result if a couple of other programmes are written in a way that everything comes together at the very end in one year's time.

Just a bit of Fun fantasy booking:

WM31:
Daniel Bryan vs John Cena
Roman Reigns vs Brock Lesnar(who is atm,contracted until Mania31)
Wyatt family vs Evolution(w/o Flair)
US Champion Dean Ambrose vs IC Champion Seth Rollins (Mid Card Unification)
;) ;)

I agree on the part about them not being able to really do anything new with the story...unless Punk came back as Corporate Punk.

But now that the prospect of a War Games match has come up, I REALLY want to see that and we won't be able to get that until Summerslam.

Here's how it should play out in my opinion:

Extreme Rules: Daniel Bryan vs. Triple H with Daniel going over. From then until the buildup for Summerslam, have HHH throwing random heels at Bryan for the PPV's. Barrett, Wyatt, a heel Sheamus, with Daniel going over all of them.

At Summerslam they have a War Games match, with no WWE WHC match announced or advertised. Daniel Bryan and The Shield beat Evolution and they start to celebrate when HHH announces that Bryan isn't done yet, and Brock or Punk comes out and wins the title.

The Authority story really wouldn't make sense to be done until Bryan isn't the champ anymore. And new life can be breathed in to it if Punk returns anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back