Is it now time for the Age of Orton?

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
The following is from the latest edition of Paul Heyman's "Heyman Hustle:"

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PAUL HEYMAN: "THE AGE OF ORTON
IS INDEED UPON US!"

A World Exclusive Blog Available Only
In The Heyman Hustle Section of THE SUN (UK)!

Paul Heyman offered his opinions on WWE's decision to go all the way
with 2009 Royal Rumble winner Randy Orton in a very interesting blog posted exclusively in today's SUN (UK).

Key excerpt:

Randy Orton has stepped up in every way imaginable, and his improvement in just the past month has been spectacular to watch.

Just watch the way Orton was in control during the big confrontation with Vince and Stephanie McMahon on last week's edition of Monday Night Raw.

This was Vince's first television appearance in six months. Stephanie had the entire crowd eating out of the palm of her hand with her great interaction with Chris Jericho and his "apology to the crowd".

So here's Vince, revelling in the spotlight, and Stephanie, delivering what could be her best performance ever.

And yet, when Orton stepped into the ring and started talking, he compelled you to watch him.

Orton's control of the mic was masterful. Just six months ago, Orton couldn't compete with Adam 'Edge' Copeland for the bragging rights of being the best performer in WWE because Edge's mic work was far superior to Orton's.

But on this night, on this edition of Monday Night Raw, Orton showcased his extraordinary progress.

Orton delivered his lines with conviction, confidence, and malice. The beating he gave the Chairman was believable, and the confusion he showed after "the punt heard round the world" was perfectly acted.

Orton played this scenario better than even Shawn Michaels could have.
Vince McMahon may have given Randy Orton the chance, but Orton clearly ran with the opportunity and scored huge.
Randy Orton is the leader of a youth movement in WWE that has been very evident recently.
Look around.
Triple H does not have a title, at least not right now. Undertaker, the legendary Phenom, no title. Shawn Michaels, no title. The championships are on the youth.

That's Paul Heyman's take on the situation, and I was inspired to write this before I read it, but it's interesting to have a person that has developed as many raw, young talented individuals as Heyman has done, and get his opinion on the situation.

For me, the scary thing is, Randy Orton apparantely has "gotten" it. What has he gotten, I don't know, but its either maturity, or finally an understanding of the business and waht it takes to be a professional wrestler. Sure, Randy Orton has had his piss poor attitude problem, perhaps a byproduct (and i tend to believe teh WWE realizes the error of pushing essentially a kid) of a push come to soon, but something has happened inside of Randy Orton, and the man is pretty much the best thing in the business right now.

He's had a short career so far, but at the age of what, 28 he's heading into the main event of Wrestlemania. Now yes, I know the term Main Event and Wrestlemania has become increasinly blurred since Wrestlemania XIX, so I'll use a better term, Randy Orton is now entering another Title match at Wrestlemania. At Wrestlemania 20, he was invovled in a huge program with him getting the pinfall vs. The Rock and Sock Connection, at Wrestlemania 21 he was in a great match vs. The Undertaker, at Wrestlemania 22 he was in the World Championship match. Wrestlemania 23 was the first bit of stupid Orton booking with him and Edge being thrown into Money in the Bank, when Randy Orton vs. Edge would have been immensely better for the show, and then we go into last year, when Randy Orton pulled off a rare accomplishment, Heel Champion Retains at Wrestlemania.

Randy Orton has done all of this, long before someone like Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan and countless other greats before him even sniffed their first World Title. Now Randy Orton seems to have matured, and it seems that he is about to even shift it into another gear. The great thing about it, he's brining others along for the ride. Guys like cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase Jr. essentially rookies, have been entrusted to someone as questionable as Orton.

Simply by being associated with Orton, Rhodes and DiBiase had a chance to go a half an hour in the Rumble last night, and be in the final four. When Orton won the Rumble, instead of being a glory ****e (cough Triple H cough), Orton immediately grabbed DiBiase and Rhodes, and had them share the spotlight with him, that's incredible. Randy orton at the age of 28 has made Rhodes and DiBiase into huge heels simply by association, something I daresay Triple H wasn't able to do with Randy orton in Evolution.

Simply put, Randy Orton was pushed to the moon by the WWE to be the next big thing. Randy Orton's ego probably hindered this, but it's understandable, in my opinion, that an ego came from that push. Look at that push, and look who he was invovled with, and I daresay try to find someone that wouldn't have an ego from it. Now Orton seeminly has emerged into a mature man, and is on the brink of something great.

So I ask you, with guys like Cena, Edge, Triple H, and others still on the roster, is there room for this company to be Ortons, and thus usher in the Age of Orton as the WWE's franchies, or is he still simply a role player?

I definetely think it should be time for the age of Orton. As of right now given his status and his ability to improve leaps and bounds while becoming much more mature, it is definetely time to build the company around Orton. Guys like Cena and Edge are very good with Edge being probably as good as Orton right now, these guys seem to have hit a bit of a road block as they seemingly have been doing the same for the last couple of years (Cena hasn't really changed since he became the Marky Mark of Wrestling and Edge, while doing very well for himself has been doing pretty much the same thing since his first title win in 2006), whereas Orton has keep's growing at a rapid pace. As long as the WWE doesn't screw it up, the next few years will indeed be the Age of Orton.

Now is definetly the time , for once wwe pull the trigger at the right bloody time !! Every single week you see Orton , and boy you see him devolping right infront of your eyes. Hes got everything , perfect look , his mic skills have truely got amazing , hes decent enough in the ring , and his ego seems to have dropped and hes matured alot. Hell his injury and the birth of his daughter seem to have really made him pick it up , Orton isnt the future of wwe , Orton right now is wwe , and hes bringing the future with him with dibiase and rhodes. Now is defeintly the time to start evolving Orton into an Austin type charcter , but keep Elements of Orton to. No one else in the company has grown so rapidly as Orton , i truely belive this year with the help of him , dibiase , rhodes , (dare i say it) cena , edge and the hardys , wwe is about to hit a boom peroid. Mainly thanks to people tuneing in to see what could be the best fued since the attitude era , with Orton/Legacy vs The Mcmahons.

As a lifelong fan of professional wrestling I am thrilled that Randy Orton is finally gonna be the focus of WWE programming. He has matured so much as far as his attitude is concerned and has developed his skills to the level of Stone Cold or Shawn Michaels. I am a Triple H fan but I have felt like it's time for the political bullshit to cease and it's time for him to step aside for good and accept his role in getting young talent over. I have become slightly disenchanted with the current state of RAW and Smackdown for that matter. I think that there is so much young talent that just needs the right storyline or fued to launch thier careers into overdrive. Jeff Hardy is a very deserving champion. That guy puts his body through hell for the fans and the business and has done so for years. Edge is as good as they come. Swagger has the makings of an awesome heel. Kofi Kingston, CM Punk, Ted Dibiase, Cody Rhodes, Matt Hardy, Evan Bourne and even Santino...yes I said Santino...wrestling skills aside this guy is pure magic on the mic and total entertainment. All these young kids have what it takes to carry the company into the future and to see Randy Orton at the helm of this ship is so exciting. Randy is the best wrestler on either roster right now and with guys like the ones I mentioned and Jericho, Cena, Michaels and Taker to fued with and learn from he can only get better and cement his "Legacy"! Welcome to the Age of Orton folks!

I think we're finally starting to see all this potential that we've heard about for years in Orton. It seems to me that since his daughter was born he's been a man and not a kid that's in big time angles. That has been nothing but great either. He's finally being the masterful heel that we all knew he could be. When you look back at him 6 years ago when he debuted and then look at him now he's completely different in all aspects of his game. He's more crisp in the ring, his character is off the charts, and he just oozes evil. He's considered a big enough name to lead the next generation which I believe Shawn was named during the mid 90s. Orton is going to be a big time deal in WWE for many years to come barring something unexpected happening, and that's just fine with me.

Is it NOW the Age of Orton? It has been the Age of Orton. It started over a year ago in Chicago at No Mercy. How many guys can say they were WWE Champ twice in one night? That I can recall no one. The Orton Age would have been bigger if it wasnt for his injuries. But now he is back, and there is no stopping him.

all depends which title he will challenge for,with most thinking hes goin after cena/whoever wins the chamber. but howabout maybe if he went after the wwe title, considering thats the title he lost most recently. move him over to smackdown and have him feud with hhh/edge after wm25

After watching the 2009 Royal Rumble I can honestly say Orton is ready, able and willing to be the flagbearer of WWE. Many of u will say u predicted Orton would win the rumble but I was convinced the selfish one (Triple H duh) would want the victory and the spoils as usual, but I guess even he isn't so dense that he can see a great thing happening when he sees it even if it doesn't concern him. Every week u tune in to watch Orton and see what he will do with his Legacy group. I can honestly say I am not surprised at how much orton has progressed. Its in his blood, he jus needed a little time to mature and develop his skills properly. I was a fan of Orton from his IC Title win against RVD at Armageddon 2K4. I stuck by him through his lackluster World Title run when Triple H got greedy again and Orton crappy face run which I am sure no one enjoyed, stuck with him when his career was about to hit rock bottom and he went to Smackdown and was butchered by the Undertaker, stuck with him when he returned to Raw and FINALLY became WWE Champion after stupid Cena got injured. From the time he lost the title to Hunter i always knew he would become World Champ again, so that nite at No mercy made me proud that I stuck with him thru the hard times. Whenever the naysayers would insult him about how his career was crap, I would simply tell them to give it time. (I wonder what they are saying now lol). From that Title run we slowly but surey saw Orton become the sadistic viper who punted Vince Mcmahon in the head last week. Ahhh priceless lol. The Time is now for Orton. The only thing stopping him is Vince and his love of Cena winning at Wrestlemania. I swear if Cena beats orton at mania I will lose my mind cause all this hype around Orton will be for naught juts like in 2004 when he beat Benoit and then lost to Triple H almost imediately. let's hope Vince FINALLY gives someone other that gay can't wrestle cena a chance to shine.

Orton has improved so much since his evolution days. Everybody knew he had the talent to make it huge, and it's finally showing. As Shocky stated at such a young age he is the best thing in the business and will be for many years. Over the past few years we've seen Orton's mic skills improve so much and he is showing us that now with his recent promos.

Orton is by far the best heel on Raw as everything he does just makes you want to hate him. He is the Shawn Michaels of this era as KB stated, only as a heel and at much a younger age. Orton is finally starting to show us all his talent he has and to be honest i'm loving it. Orton will be around for so much longer and that's fine with me because I love watching the guy.

Now to answer your question yes I think he is ready to be a full on main eventer. He can put on great matches with almost everyone and he does his job as a heel better then almost everyone(arguably Edge is the other best). With Edge on Smackdown I see nothing stopping Randy from being a full-fledge main eventer on Raw. So yes I think Orton is ready to be a full-fledge main eventer right now, and I believe Vince sees it to, and will have him win at Mania.

After watching Raw, it is official.... the McMahons are intent on killing Randy Orton's heat.

Am I supposed to legitimately believe Randy Orton can get beat up by Shane McMahon? Not only that, but Shane can also apparently withstand the onslaught of all of the members of Legacy. I know, this is only one instance, and that next week, Orton will do something to get his heat back. But how am I supposed to believe any man that gets beat up by Shane-O-Mac can beat the World Heavyweight champion? I promise you, this would have never happened to Steve Austin. And what was up with Randy backing down from Shane? Shane is not even a legitimate wrestler. What business does he have even remotely coming close to winning a fight against ANY professional wrestler, let alone a wrestler that's about to headline the main event match at the biggest event of the year. It wasn't even like Shane attacked him from behind or used a weapon. Shane just attacked Randy, and completely punked Orton out. And Randy doesn't even retaliate? This is the same man that punted Vince in the head. Isn't he supposed to be violent, striking at a moment's notice. I mean, props to the WWE for using a legitimate psychological disorder, but what's the point if he doesn't even attack? I don't know, I just don't think Orton came off as very frightening tonight, nor did he reach that Stone cold level. I'll put the Age of Orton on hold until next week.

This is Horrendous, Mr. Psychotic, The one that hears voices, punted the likes of Batista, Triple H, Sargeant Slaughter, Shawn Micheals, Vinniemac, Ted Debiase, Dusty Rhodes, RVD, and so on gets whooped by a measley little punk that couldnt even defeat the likes of XPAC, i mean are u serious?..I hate when shane gets into those anger splurts and destroys wrestlers that have made a name for themselves, what are the mcmahons, GOD or something, they arent even wrestlers, then he takes out Legacy, and other superstars on the ramp even though he and his father AND the Big Show, umaga and The Spirtit Squad couldnt even take out DX. This is Blasphemy I tell U, I mean wow Orton's rise has been chopped off, I hope WWE redeems itself next week

and not like back then when Kane could have to cheat just to beat little ol shane..I thought we were having another Austin in the makings with this Randy Orton but oh well

I never was convince that Randy Orton is what's right for the company. It's not because of is attitude backstage because in that aspect, he looks like he finally got his act together, no it's just that i find him boring and don'T see anything special with him. He just another heel on the roster and even if he's been world champion before, i still don'T see him as a main eventer and i probably never will. Sure, you can say that is promo skill got better but not by that much, but has talented as he is, i'm bored everytime i see him wrestles. It'S like watching is dad wrestles when i was a kid, it'S not interesting. For the last year and a half, Orton as been doing the same thing over and over again and it was interesting when then and it'S not now. The age of Orton was the most boring time that raw ever produce last year and i really hope that they are not going to repeat this again by giving him the belt at wrestlemania.

Orton has really impressed me since returning from his injury. Sure, he had a great long reign as WWE Champion before being injured, but like Heyman said, Edge seemed to overshadow Orton. Now Orton's mic work is superb and his ring work is even better than before. It's clear that Orton is being built as the future of the company. The only other superstar that I can think of to rival Orton's early success is The Rock. Both of them were at the top of the company in their 20's.

However, I hated how last week's RAW ended. Whenever Shane gets involved, it makes superstars look a lot weaker. Why the hell would Orton back down from Shane? How the hell could Shane take down all three members of Legacy? He isn't even a wrestler. I hope WWE doesn't drop the ball with this because Legacy vs the McMahons was looking like a great storyline until Monday's RAW.

Anyways, it's great to see the youth movement in WWE. Edge, Cena, Orton and Legacy are the future of the company.

Wohoo my first wrestling post in quite some time. I strongly feel that the Age Of Orton is upon us. With or without the title, I feel that Orton's time is now. I agree with Heyman. Orton's latest confrontation with Steph was by far some of the best mic skills I've seen him put out, and straight up some of the best probably since the start of the Y2J/HBK feud. Since coming back from injury he has flat out been amazing.

His current psycho persona in my opinion has I think made people want to watch him, and he's gotten mad heel heat, and fans, for punting the likes of CM Punk, Batista, and Vince. I think this psycho thing is working perfect for Orton as now it's impossible to tell when he's just going to snap. Last night I thought fr sure he was going to punt Steph's head off. I mean the guy turned about as red as you can get, his veins popped out of his head and neck, and it really looked like he was going to attack Steph. This I feel is making a lot of people look at Orton a bit more as I mentioned, no one knows when the dude is going to snap.

Another thing that's playing into Orton's hands of course is Legacy. Orton has a history of being a part of very successful teams. Rated RKO, and Evolution both were pretty significant teams during their respective stints in the WWE. Now we have Legacy with Orton as the leader. I don't think that this will remain a threesome, and I think at some point some one else will get linked up with them. Anyway back to Orton. Pairing Rhodes and Dibiase up with Orton was probably one of the best moves in recent memory. Legacy reminds me a lot of how Evolution used to work together. One prime example would be the Royal Rumble. If you saw it, you saw basically from the time the three men entered the ring, them working as a unit and all three of them made it to the final four. I'm expecting to see Legacy continue for a while, and once it's over I'm looking to see Rhodes and Dibiase a much more established team, or singles wrestlers. Bottom line on that though is that they'll need to be with Orton whom, more specifically since returning to Raw has been improving a lot. The age of Orton is indeed upon us... Hell it's about time.

I know Randy Orton is super-over right now as a heel, but you have to realize that a good portion of today's fans haven't seen Shane McMahon that much and most likely haven't seen him in the ring. Randy has to put Shane over immediately to show a real threat if they're expecting to build off of it.

If Shane came back all pissed off and Randy punted him, where's the selling point? No one would buy the PPV if they knew Randy was going to win automatically. I, for one, am hoping for the swerve where Shane joins the Legacy (last member, please) but I'd be just as willing to see Shane tear the house down with one of his Shane-style matches.

The Age of Orton may not have come yet. Orton is incredibly over right now and I can't imagine that changing anytime soon, even a few years from now. He's big, tall, muscular, handsome and good. He has a kick ass finisher and the voice he uses for promos is absolutely perfect. He and Cena compliment each other perfectly as face and heel. While i don't think they could be another Rock/Austin, I could see them being rivals for the next 10 years or so. When history looks back on this era in WWE history, those two will be the men they look at. That's saying a lot.

Maaan, not to be rude but....you guys are marking out like crazy right now over this guy. I like Orton, I picked him to win the rumble, but the age of Orton is not as permanent a thing as you might be thinking. Want to know why, I got two words for ya, John Cena. As long as you have a merchandise monster like Cena on top, Orton is going to be taking a back seat, much like now. For all the raves and accolades you shower him with he still isn't in the title picture, John Cena is the champ just as he always says he is, and I don't see him going anywhere, he is the one who is at the top of the game. As I said he sells more merchandise than anybody, he has become a solid ring worker, he has the mic bending to his will like Neo with a spoon, He has the look, he has the desire, and more importantly, most importantly Vince loves the shit out of him!!!! This is Vince's guy, more than anyone outside of HBK or HHH possibly. For that reason alone you have to know that it is in fact not the Age of Orton, but that John Cena's Time is Now and it will be for a long time. I am a big Orton fan and I liked what I have seen from him in the last year or two but do not be mistaken who really runs that house, John Cena. You all seem so sure Orton is going to be in a title match at Wrestlemania, but look at things as is. Orton isn't feuding with Cena is he? JBL is and it is looking like HBK might be sniffing awful close to that title as well, who knows? it might end up being HBK vs John Cena again at Wrestlemania. Orton is now is a feud with the McMahon's who via storyline have nothing to do with the title picture. Some say the Age of Orton has been upon us for a while now and I can see why, his No Mercy win over HHH was interesting and his whole run was interesting but also made him look like a bitch. The whole time, he has been made in victory or defeat to be a bitch. That's hard for me to say as I am a big Orton fan but I think you are all jumping the gun. Like I said, it is still John Cena's time.

When I watched this weeks RAW live I was seriously pissed off. IED? Shane destroyin the legacy? Yep at the time it seemed like WWE had thrown the ball sky high with Ortons recent actions and had firmly dropped it with this weeks events.
Then when on the train today on the way to uni it all hit me.
WWE haven't dropped the ball, in fact far from it.The biggest heel in the company coming up with an excuse for his actions that get him booed out of the arena? Following it up with a half assed apology that intensifies his heat even more? Even that was enough to build Ortons character as the weak conniving heel who'll do anything to achieve his ends.
The ending to Raw however has achieved so many ends in the strengthening of Ortons road to wrestlemania 25. Not only did this segment give Orton a chance to show off the best microphone work of his career so far in my opinon, but he has been completely raised above the rest of the heels in WWE at not only this moment but perhaps ever. What other heel has been so determined to achieve his own ends that he would be willing to close down the whole of wrestlemania? Lets look at a quick example. Triple H circa 2004, the height of his powers as the leader of evolution, all the conniving things he did to get the world championship , but even for the companies top heel, it was all about headlining wrestlemania by any means neccesary. Orton has now opened up a completely new path to wrestlemania for a heel. As well as turning the whole RAW roster against Orton which can only help the amount of heat he gets from the crowd. What regular wrestling fan won't hate a heel that is the focal point of the emnity of the entire Raw roster? ie WWE Creative Masterstroke.
And then we have Shane - O - Mac's part in all this. Shane's great selling of his anger and complete hatred for Orton not only again raises Ortons profile as a sadistic and horrible individual, but also emphasises the villany of Ortons punt on Vince. Ortons selling of Shanes beating was also great, the way he scuttled up the ramp with the Cody's help, as if he'd seen a ghost? Shows the cowardly side of Ortons persona and totally hypes Shane as a serious threat to Randy.
This will hopefully lead to some kind of hardcore stipulation match up between Shane and Orton at No Way Out where Stephanie will most likely turn on Shane , Joining Legacy and Shane will most likely be punted just like his ol' dad. This will perfectly set up the last push to wrestlemania for what will most likely be Orton - Cena, with Steph stacking the odds against Cena. I doubt Orton will win that match but damnit who cares, The Age Of Orton is here at last.

I think Orton is the future, at least on the heel side of things. He is a solidified main-event player who more or less carried RAW last year when they didn't have a good enough heel. He started on the Age of Orton but then lost the title at Backlash, because I guess Triple H got jealous. Well, no more Trips. This time, their is nobody to hold back Randy Orton, and no one to stand in the way from his rise. He is also bringing Rhodes and DiBiase who will be a big part in it, as great heels themselves who will be assisting Orton take out the face main eventers. If Orton wins the title at Wrestlemania, we have officially entered the Age of Orton.

If Vince plays the pieces right, A Randy Orton vs. John Cena feud can be one of the biggest rivalries in WWE history. They laid some groundwork with Randy punting Cena's dad and some good matches, but they need to restart a feud with them real quick

^Hold a second,A Randy Orton and John Cena feud could be a bad thing.Look,I know that John Cena is the biggest face in the WWE right now but,come on didn't they feud already?I, would love to see Randy Orton going into a feud with someone that's at his level like Chris Jericho that would be a good feud if it is done right!

Yeah some groundwork was laid in now they can continue with something deeper after wrestlemania that can lead to title changes between the two. They are the top face/heel duo on raw they should try to at least revisit it. I mean come on Randy Orton got booed in his own hometown tonight

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back