Is It Freedom Or Persecution?

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
Throughout today, probably the biggest story being covered on most news channels has been the Arizona bill called SB1062. As with most anything that has any degree of relevancy in today's world, SB1062 has generated a great deal of controversy and debate and Arizona governor Jan Brewer has found herself right smack in the middle of it.

For those unaware of what SB1062 is, it's essentially an amendment to the already existing Religious Freedom Restoration Act. SB1062 would allow businesses to refuse to service homosexuals as long as the proprietors were doing so based solely on their personal religious beliefs. The entire situation came about a while back when a female photographer refused to service a gay couple by shooting wedding photos. The woman insists that it isn't because she's personally offended by homosexuality, but that she felt that her participation would be a means of condoning such a union and that violates her religious beliefs that, religiously speaking, homosexuality is wrong.

Those who support the bill believe that it isn't an attempt at discrimination masquerading as state law, but that it's an attempt to protect people's religious freedoms. Opponents of the law, in a nutshell, say that it's nothing more than the latest attempt at treating gays and lesbians as second class citizens who don't have the same rights as heterosexuals.

Many people, both supporters and opponents, however, have taken some by surprise as they're considering the ramifications of this bill not so much due to social means, but economic ones. This bill could certainly put a dent in certain areas of Arizona's economy. Some representatives of Fortune 500 companies, such as Marriott, have told Brewer that this bill could hurt the hospitality industry, AKA hotels. The CEO of American Airlines, Doug Parker, agrees and that if she signs the bill into law, it could negatively affect tourism to the state. The NFL has also scheduled Super Bowl XLIX to take place in the Phoenix suburb of Glendale next year. Hosting the Super Bowl is essentially a license to print money and if this law is passed, it could cause the NFL to reconsider hosting the event in Arizona next year. There's no confirmed word that they will or won't, but it's a real possibility. After all, over the past several years, Arizona's image hasn't exactly been that of a "people friendly" state, despite what Arizona Senator Al Melvin said recently. Arizona's extremely right wing stance on extremely lax gun laws, harsh stances on immigration that some say encourages racial profiling and, in the eyes of some, perceived animosity towards gays and minorities have really drawn a lot of negative attention.

Based on word from CNN, most people expect that Brewer will veto the bill. Even if she didn't, there are legal analysts that say there's a very strong possibility that the law could ultimately be declared unconstitutional if it were to be challenged; and you know it would be challenged if passed.

I can understand both sides of this issue. There are countless number of any religion who believe their holy books are divinely inspired and almost all of them contain passages that condemn homosexuality as a sin. Is it possible to be a devout Christian, for example, who bears no ill will or prejudice towards anyone yet still believe that someone is living a sinful life? Yes it is. Believing that someone is living a sinful life doesn't make you a bigot, or does it mean that you believe that they're necessarily "bad" people. However, at the same time, a law like this could open the flood gates to genuine discrimination by people who're falsely hiding behind religion. A sad fact is that there are people who identify themselves as Christian, yet who don't exactly live a Christian life themselves, and who don't seem particularly religious who claim to dislike gays because they just don't think it's right. This law could allow them to cloak themselves in religious freedom to refuse service to homosexuals even if they themselves aren't particularly religious or even practice any religious beliefs. And, of course, if you asked them to offer some sort of proof of their beliefs, you'd open up a whole other can of worms by pissing off genuine Christians.

Part of being American means that you have to endure what you personally do and don't agree with or life side by side every day. That's simply how it is and, as a result, it means that we're gonna bump heads sometimes. It's the same thing in regards to religion; for instance, Christianity preaches tolerance, acceptance and brotherhood. It doesn't mean towards only those who're just like you, who share your beliefs, who're the same skin tone as you are, etc. There are genuinely good, well meaning people who feel that this Arizona law if protecting their rights, but the problem is that there are also a lot of prejudiced bigots that would take advantage of this law in a heartbeat because it gives them a weapon to strike out against gays and lesbians. Religious beliefs in a business, in my opinion, should be used as the "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service" policy of the 21st Century.

“If your enemy is hungry, give them something to eat. If they are thirsty, give them something to drink.” Romans 12:20, Prov. 25:21

There is a hypocritical nature that surrounds these "religious freedom" laws cropping up in places like Arizona. And yes, I believe it is an outlet for bigotry to run more rampant than before. There is absolutely no reason for any Christian not to serve gays or take their picture any more than there's a reason to not serve any other persons with a belief system different than theirs. What of the Jewish community? Will these Christians not be serving them either? Or what about the other passages in Leviticus that modern Christians don't abide by, like not wearing clothes of mixed fabric or following the rules on owning slaves? There is a big hole for intolerance to walk out of if such a bill does become law.

Not to mention the other head of the coin. Are the homosexual people being turned away experiencing that freedom?

I'm not for the bill. I identify myself as Baptist but I definitely don't live the proper lifestyle for that. If I were to use the Bible to hide behind any stance I'd be a huge hypocrite.

My sister in law posted a hypothetical thing on Facebook. If she were opening a shop and refused anyone service who was homosexual, had pre marital sex or has been divorced, which are all sins according to the Bible, how many people would she be refusing service to?

I didn't count the number of people but it was a lot of people on her friends list.

Basically the point of that is that it would be wrong to pick and choose people to neglect service to based on your own religious beliefs. By saying you won't serve homosexuals because they're sinners and it goes against the Bible but you'll serve other people who are also sinners and do things against the Bible you're being a hypocrite.

According to the Bible everyone is a sinner except God. Therefore you should be denying everyone service.

I saw a comment on an article the other day that said only Christians are anti homosexuality. I found that funny because we all know bigotry can come in many forms.
So are bigots going to claim religious beliefs just so they don't have to serve someone?

Also something to think about is how will workers know who is and isn't gay? Are they just going to assume people are gay based on stereotypes?

The whole thing seems idiotic.

Many people, both supporters and opponents, however, have taken some by surprise as they're considering the ramifications of this bill not so much due to social means, but economic ones. This bill could certainly put a dent in certain areas of Arizona's economy. Some representatives of Fortune 500 companies, such as Marriott, have told Brewer that this bill could hurt the hospitality industry, AKA hotels. The CEO of American Airlines, Doug Parker, agrees and that if she signs the bill into law, it could negatively affect tourism to the state. The NFL has also scheduled Super Bowl XLIX to take place in the Phoenix suburb of Glendale next year. Hosting the Super Bowl is essentially a license to print money and if this law is passed, it could cause the NFL to reconsider hosting the event in Arizona next year. There's no confirmed word that they will or won't, but it's a real possibility.

Ironic how many times it all comes down to the almighty dollar, isn't it? There's no way to determine it (because no one would answer the question honestly), but wouldn't it be interesting to see how many people in the Arizona legislature might have voted in favor this law because they believe fervently in people's right to their religious freedoms..... but wind up voting it down because: "Land-o-goshen! We dasn't lose the gol-darned Super Bowl!"

It's another good reason why the Founding Fathers were wise to have advocated the separation church and state. While many good folks use their religious beliefs as a guide to sensible living, others use it to further their own social, economic and political agendas, tossing in the name of God to try and validate their claim.

Let's see what happens with this one.

Well first of all, it was vetoed because it was unconstitutional. Any other response is disingenuous. If the law were to be challenged, and you know it would happen in a heart beat, it would mean yet another victory for the LGBT community. I think businesses should be able to refuse service to anyone for any reason. Restaurants are already able to refuse service to patrons who violate the dress code, which is nothing more than discrimination for the sake of vanity. We could definitely see a trend of gays targeting businesses they know are owned by Christians and basically extorting money from them via lawsuit by asking them to do something against their core beliefs. No one should be asked to violate their principles or give up their businesses because LGBT people refuse to go to another locale that caters to their needs. I wonder how many gay bakers would bake cakes saying that being gay is wrong or praising Mosaic law (which calls for the stoning of gay people). Tolerance is a two way street.

I think these are all vote bank politics. Most of the people in her state must be anti-gay, and so she is trying to appease them by introducing this bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back