Is Del Rio Over?

I honestly think if he'd stayed on Smackdown and feuded with Orton for the title, then he'd be so much more over. RAW is overcrowded with top-drawing heels, and Smackdown's top heel is Christian, who I prefer as a face. I'd have much rather seen Del Rio stay on Smackdown, leading to a Orton-Del Rio feud for the title with Christian lower down the card feuding with Sheamus or Rhodes.

P.S. I'm a massive Del Rio fan though, unlike the majority, and I hope he does well with the MITB briefcase. I hope he waits a while to cash it in

I think the problem is, Del Rio has lost a LOT of credibility in the past few months since...his Royal Rumble win to be precise.

Let's take a look.
Throughout the 8 months he was around leading up to RR, he was phenominally over as a heel. He had a character we hadn't seen since JBL left a few years ago and worked it VERY well. Had a FANTASTIC gimmick with great charisma.

He wins RR and he's already getting stale. The character does the same style promos every feud. He works hard in the ring but the character is EXACTLY the same in every feud.

He loses the world title shot at Wrestlemania.

He goes to RAW.
He's been a victim of circumstance more than once here. Pushes have been unworked because of other people.

He gets into a feud with the Big Show.
EXACTLY the same promos and style. Basically what happens is this;

He has a match with them.
He injures them either in either the match or segment after.
He gloats.
Does a "midget promo" that is meant to be funny and draw cheap heat.
Gloats some more.
Gets beaten when the star returns.

Del Rio is playing a classic, OLD STYLE heel. We're talking 80's style here...and it was nice to see to start with but this generations audience REQUIRES something fresh almost every week. Del Rio is stale and boring now. He's yesterdays news...and he NEEDS an uplift on his character completely.

Del Rio is a mexican JBL who copies jack swaggers dumb smile and hands stood out saying "look at me" as he walks to the ring. :disappointed:

Crowd reaction: None.
Crowd thoughts: Argh...him again. Im bored.

So basically del rio is copying everyone to get over but its failing. Lets see the list:

-JBLs/eddies car entrance
-Its his destiny(randy orton)
-Jack swaggers hands out/dumb smile
and im sure i could find more if i could remember anything worth remembering from this douche.

But hey...he has an arm bar as a finisher. That must count for something right? LOL Infact thats the only move i remember him doing besides a couple headlocks and clotheslines LMAO. Hes worse than cena. Del rio has the 1 move of doom.:lmao:

My problem is typical WWE booking. They always build up stars on smackdown and steal then in the draft and send them to raw where the same ppl are constanly in the mainevent so then this star you have built up gets put into pointless feuds and starts to lose steam and went from being a future maineventer to midcarder or future endeavored.

I feel this is what happened with del rio, when he debuted i hated him , hated he was been put in the mainevent straight away but then he gained my respect made me believe he belonged with maineventers. He got pushed great and won the royal rumble which i was shocked at. But he was becoming a star even though he lost at mania he was still over. Thyen he gets traded to raw feuds with mysterio for the 100th time then faces pointless opponents and continues to lose to kofi kingston which i dont understand at all. He started to become boring and stale and even though he won money in the bank i feelhe has lost so much steam before that he is no longer over or no one is bothered about him.

I am the biggest anti-Del Rio guy. It's not as if I think he can't wrestle or anything..but my god! His character is garbage...same promo every week. Ricardo is the only thing about his character & presentation I like. He debuted a year ago and has been shoved down our collective throats.

I don't see him as being over at all. For someone with this type of push, he gets minimal heat/reaction. The idea of taking the title off Punk or Cena to put it on ADR would be the dumbest choice WWE could make.

Del Rio is not over.

He gets almost no reaction when he comes out.

He's been cutting the SAME promo since he debuted on Smackdown.

No one cares about him, when he comes to the ring, nothing. He's like Drew McIntyre, given a big push and it's not sticking.

It's amazing to me to listen to podcasts with commentators and ex WWE employees and they say how great this guy is, and he's "in my top 5" and blah, blah, blah.

He just isn't getting it done.

Del Rio stopped being over at Wrestlemania, they built him up so nicely to win the belt at the biggest show of the year. Then, they had him and Edge curtain jerking, Edge had to retire so they gave him a win to end his career.

Del Rio needed that win more than anyone on the card. After losing that match his momentum was dead in the water.

No one cares about him anymore, same promo, same match, and now he feels like he is being forced down our throats which causes a bigger backlash. He does not get any noticeable pop anymore, you can blame the mics all you want, its just not true. He is no longer over.

If you watch the raw before money in the bank where he attacks the other guys with a ladder. And he is standing alone in the ring. You will here how big a reaction he gets. Hell you can even here people chanting his name as he stands staring up at the briefcase. So who ever thinks he isn't over is deluded. Obviously he isn't going to get a cena or a rock type of pop. But he is well over.

Gamma I admit when Del Rio did that they made him look badass and I actually cared about him then but he isn't usually booked like that and no he gets nowhere near that reaction most of the time. He really isn't that over at all and just because someone is comfortable and can speak on the mic still doesn't make you amazing he has struggled to capture and engage the audience when I have seen him and he just gets lost in the mid card of raw which is usually quite boring.

Altitude I must admit that coming to raw he hasn't had the best of times and lost a lot of steam. The whole destiny thing is getting a bit to much as well. But to say that he gets no reaction is harsh. He isn't supposed to be the top face or heel and because he doesn't get that reaction people say he isn't over. He is getting good solid mid card heat and that's what's expected of him. He is a little lost in the shuffle and him failing to cash in mitb isn't helping. He needs one good fued (not with rey) to jump start things for him again. But the thing is he is over with the crowd he just hit the ceiling of what he has been delt at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back