Is D'Angelo Dinero the best current African American wrestler?

JenksIX

Pre-Show Stalwart
Well there's the question for ya. Is D'Angelo Dinero as good everyone is hyping him up to be? Or is it just because he's in TNA and in front of the Impact Zone fans?

Does anyone remember Ron Killings in TNA? I mean that guy had charisma, that guy had the crowd rocking, everything came so naturally to him.
I kind of feel like The Pope's popularity has something to do with him being a big fish in a small pond. By that I mean, I think there is so much garbage in TNA, that your amazed when an average wrestler comes along. Aj Styles, Matt Morgan, Daniels, Hernandez, Joe ... those guys would not be main eventers in WWE and have been released or not picked up by WWE.

But anyway, what are your thoughts?
WWE has RTruth, Kofi Kingston, MVP, JTG, Shelton Benjamin, Ezekial Jackson etc etc.

^is The Pope really better then these guys?

Only Shelton and Kofi r in is league Ron Kililng never really liked him. Really r u on crack the guys u metioned on your list can do moves that 98% of the guys up North can't do

Well there's the question for ya. Is D'Angelo Dinero as good everyone is hyping him up to be? Or is it just because he's in TNA and in front of the Impact Zone fans?

Does anyone remember Ron Killings in TNA? I mean that guy had charisma, that guy had the crowd rocking, everything came so naturally to him.
I kind of feel like The Pope's popularity has something to do with him being a big fish in a small pond. By that I mean, I think there is so much garbage in TNA, that your amazed when an average wrestler comes along. Aj Styles, Matt Morgan, Daniels, Hernandez, Joe ... those guys would not be main eventers in WWE and have been released or not picked up by WWE.

But anyway, what are your thoughts?
WWE has RTruth, Kofi Kingston, MVP, JTG, Shelton Benjamin, Ezekial Jackson etc etc.

^is The Pope really better then these guys?

Looking at the list of those WWE guys, D'Angelo Dinero is doing alot better than them, I know that. None of those guys are being used the way they should be so that pretty much tells you that they are the "small fish in a big pond". Don't fall for the fact that they're in the WWE. TNA tends to do the right thing when it comes to using guys that left the WWE. WWE doesn't give a damn about guys that have potential.

So at the moment, yes...D'Angelo Dinero is the best African-American wrestler on the rise right now.

Well, first of all, I think Pope is a great wrestler period, without any type of description needed behind the word "wrestler." I never knew he had this in him when he was in ECW, but then again, Vince McMahon never let him show much as Elijah Burke. When I heard TNA picked him up, I thought "Hmm... that's interesting."

I have to admit that I really am digging The Pope character right now and have been really impressed with the matches he's had on TV. The fact that TNA had him win the 8 Card Stud Tournament shows that the guys have a lot of faith in him. And based on what I'm reading on the TNA Spoilers, it looks like The Pope is going to be given a long-term feud with A.J. for the title match at Lockdown instead of a one week to go "Remember Me?" feud (which I was afraid of).

As far as being the best "African-American" athlete right now in wrestling? I have to say for now, match for match, I have to go with The Pope over Kofi Kingston or Shelton Benjamin. I say that because The Pope has evolved into a character I enjoy watching on a weekly basis on TV whereas Kofi has seen his push somewhat diminished in recent weeks. I know Kofi's in the Chamber match, but he hasn't been pushed as much as he had a month ago. And Shelton Benjamin? I think it's the consensus that Shelton has always had the talent to be one of the best, but he keeps running into a problem which is he has no charisma or mic skills. Right now, The Pope is on a roll, and I wouldn't be shocked if TNA pulls the upset and christens The Pope as the next TNA Champion.

I don't know that he's BETTER, but he sticks out more.

He's got that natural "look at me" thing going. He's pretty good in the ring, and can rock the mic.

I think The Pope could have been awesome in WWE had the creative team not held him down.

He's got the wrestling ability of Shelton Benjamin and Kofi Kingston combined, a SIMILAR kind of look to R-truth and the mic skills of MVP. That makes for a good entertainer.

By the way, (and truly no offense), I don't know where you're going with that "TNA garbage" thing. They are pretty good wrestlers (except for maybe Samoa Joe, and Hernandez is basically TNA's Batista). TNA makes them shine while WWE CHOSE not to.

AJ Styles is a freakin awesome wrestler. Not so hot on the stick, but can put on great matches. I guess it's all opinion though

Whenever I see threads or anything like this, my first response is: What would the reaction be to a "Is _____ the best current white wrestler?" WOOO double standards.

But anyway, yes. I've been a fan of Ezekial Jackson, but it's been the same way I've been a fan of Mark Henry. WWE never gives them talking roles, and too an extent, that's fine. With Jackson's win over Christian, that should (in theory) give him some steam heading into Smackdown, and hopefully they push him well over there. Shelton is a veteran at this point and will probably be as high up the pole as he'll get. Kofi got his chance, or is in the process of having his chance, and his buzz sort of died down. I'm not really sure if R-Truth even had buzz. Cryme Tyme (JTG was listed by the original poster????) has been irrelevant, and are better as comic relief. I would say that as of now, Dinero is the top dog, but if WWE does right by Ezekial, he'll top Dinero in no time, even as a mute.

First off AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, The Pope and Matt Morgan are all above average wrestlers with AJ and Joe being GREAT wrestlers.

Just because they would not be main eventers in WWE does not mean they are not good to great wrestlers. The main guys in WWE right now are below average wrestlers IE Cena, Sheamus, Taker(cause of age), Drew McIntyre, HHH.

On to your point I think the POPE is the top African American wrestler and he is the total package, he is legit. The Pope was never given a chance in WWE cause he was on the outside of the "SUNDAY BRUNCH". He can cut a promo on anyone and they are always on point. He is just so enamoring in the ring and you follow every move he does and is usually on point with his moves and in ring persona. He is just that bigger than life guy that TNA does not have enough of.

R'Truth is a good wrestler and a decent talker but just another average guy.

Kofi Kingston was on his way to the top with the push that WWE was giving him but now is just non existent. He still has the opportunity if given a chance, cause once he dropped the Jamaican gimmick it showed he can talk and is very good and interesting in the ring but not better than the POPE. I really like Kofi.

MVP is a better talker than a wrestler and should host a interview segment but is US title level and that is it. Once again nothing special but still serviceable but no star qualities really.

JTG is just a tag guy and that is where he should stay.

Shelton Benjamin is my number two on the list he is a great wrestler and a good talker but he is so mired in WWE mediocrity. If he was allowed to open up his repoitoire, like the POPE has been allowed in TNA, then he could take over the number one slot. He is just so held back in WWE that you almost feel sorry for him cause you can see it in him to be a star.

ZEKE is not a bad wrestler but needs work and his promos to me are not bad either. He definitely has a great look and body. He has some star qualities but it is really too early to tell if he is anything or not but I like him.

To be honest, this is a weighted question. If you are asking if he is the best, then I would have to say no. There are plenty of others out there who are or should be better. And that's not even counting the hordes of guys who are on the indy who could probably work circles around Dinero any given day of the week.

Now if we are talking about whether or not he is the best utilized black wrestler currently, then I would have to give you a resounding yes. I mean he is being allowed to work the mic and the crowd as well and can carry a decent match. I mean his mic skills are only limited by his own ignorance and ego as he has his own Pope-speak hat I tend to tune out, but I'll be damned if he doesn't grab the attention of his audience and keep it. His finishing move is craptastic, but it can't really be sold badly, so it works well. The fact of the matter is that he is in the right place at the right time and he's running with the ball.

But I don't think that anybody should sell the other black wrestlers short or sell them too highly, no matter whether they are in a small pond or a big pond. As a matter of fact, let me break it down for ya a bit.

MVP- In the whole time that MVP has been in the WWE, he has sucked. He still sux on the mic and at times his ring work looks lazy and holds him back from getting legitimate push. As a matter of fact, the only reason that WWE keeps him is because of fear. They fear that TNA could do something with him. Other than that, he hasn;t done enough to get pushed and isn't bad enough to get released.

Mark Henry- His time has passed, but at least he's been healthy.

Shelton Benjamin- Look. I'm tired of all the people who sit and bitch about Shelton being held back. I mean the guy has been in the WWE for damned near ten years and he still can;t remember his lines during promos. He sucks and should either be giving a serious heel manager or cut from the roster. Plain and simple.

Cryme Tyme- They were rehired out of spite and are going nowhere. Split them up and put Shad back in the developementals. The real talent here is JTG. I can envision him being the crown jewel of a new Million Dollar Corporation stable and playing an arrogant rob wearing heel very well. Will this ever happen? Who knows, but hey it would be better if it did.

Black Machismo- Jobber. He can't go up, as he has run his gimmick too long. And he's nothing without the gimmick. Let his ass go back to ROH.

Consequences Creed- He needs a hard edge and maybe a tough partner. If he drops the dancing and shit, he would make a legit performer. Otherwise, he's crap on ice.

R-Truth- Of trust me, you don't want to know the truth.

Ezekial Jackson- Didn't I just say you didn't want to know the truth? Well the truth is that he is a big man who makes Kozlov look good. And noone should EVER be able to say that.

Kenny King- Decent. Coming into his own. If ROH elevates him, then he should make a formidable heel champion in the next year.

Skullcrusher Rasche Brown- This man has my eye. He works a squash match the way that Ezekial Jackson should be doing. He's wreckless and sells the unstoppable big man to a tee. I see nothing but good things for him, if he moves to another promotion, as ROH tends to fuck up big men's pushes badly in favor of cruiserweight class wrestlers.

The Dark City Fight Club- Okay, why are these guys not on WWE's or TNA's roster? These two men are gritty, grimey, and bad ass. If they got to the big leagues, they would be great. But we all know that shit aint happenin.

If you didn't see me mention someone, it's because they either haven't done shit or aren't worth mentioning. Plain and simple.

Are you starting this thread in honor of Black History Month?

Who is the best African-American wrestler today? Well it isn't D'Angelo Dinero! I mean "The Pope" is doing well in TNA and big ups to him for that. But who really can say who is the best african-american wrestler currently when we haven't had a black world champion since the days of "King Booker"? I mean I don't know if ya'll consider Bobby Lashley's run with the ECW title a WORLD TITLE? Then no there is no "Best current african-american wrestler" bub.

There's only been two African-American world champions being of course Ron Simmons & Booker T. Because they got over with a globe full of fans from all over the world. Today's african-american wrestlers such as Kofi Kingston, MVP, Mark Henry, Shelton Benjamin, Ezekiel Jackson, R-Truth, and Cryme Tyme over on WWE would bring alot more to the table as far as there charactors go, but due to WWE-PG, there limited.

While over in TNA, one breakthrough african-american wrestle (like D'Angelo Dinero) could possibly even win the TNA world title in given time? But in my opinion, since Lashley's going to the MMA I'd say...R-Truth. Because he's been in the WWE & TNA, and of his expereince as a world champion (in NWA-TNA) by wrestling guys from all over the world with diffrent styles. Including Ken Shamrock in the process of becoming world champion. THIS "WHAT'S UP"!

...You really should be asking who will be the next future African-American world champion homeboy!

If The Pope is the best African American wrestler then I don't hold out much hope for that race when it comes to wrestling. He's hugely popular, inexplicably so, he's never done anything to deserve all the praise he get's.

I hear he's a great talker, after listening to him for three years I've only come to the conclusion he's a good talker, I'm yet to hear anything memorable from him. I hear he's a great wrestler, only yesterday I was pointed towards a so called great match he had with Styles on iMPACT!, again, it was good but not great.

Since the guys release from WWE I've heard how he was wasted in that promotion and never given a real shot. But surely he was, as WWE made him the leader of a stable that was made to surpass the ECW Originals, the fact that it failed and he didn't do anything after suggested he was a total failure in the role.

I'd say that The Pope is worth a push in TNA based on popularity alone, but as for calling him the best African American wrestler, that's just silly. Currently that'd have to be Kofi Kingston, like Dinero he's not going to have a classic anytime soon, he's not going to cut a promo that people will talk about for years to come, but what he is is over, and with a more cynical crowd than Elijah Burke ever was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back