Imagine This Tag Team

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
A thought ran through my head recently, and I followed it all the way to a brilliant idea for a double main event match at SummerSlam. I will present the idea here, and welcome reaction, comments on its feasibility, and whehter you'd be interesting in seeing it happen.

Let's operate under the assumption that ShowMiz (or some other heel tag team) heads into SummerSlam with the Tag Team Titles. Let us also assume that Shawn Michaels takes enough time off to last until the SSlam buildup begins. Finally, let's assume Bret Hart is functional this Sunday against Vince McMahon.

How brilliant would it be to watch Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels - two men inexorably linked as all-time rivals - challenge for the WWF Tag Team Titles?

It would provide both men some well deserved closure. It would be a treat for the fans who have watched this rivalry blossom since 1992. And if you but the Tag belts on a team like Seamus and McIntyre, it could even serve as another McMahon-centric angle to try to watch the old faves take out McMahons new team.

I am anxious to hear thoughts on this idea.

No, HELL NO! Sorry but both these guys are way past their primes and to be honest look like they are both on deaths doorstep. Bret is barely going to be able to put on any kind of decent looking match against Vince, there is no way he can hold his own against Miz and Big Show. HBK should have retired 2 years ago at least. He has not been the same since he first came back and has only gotten progressively worse. The only good feuds he has had since he cameback have been with Undertaker. Everything else has been dumb DX stuff where he has just coasted along with Hunter.

Right now the tag team is still in need of work, alothough not as bad as, say 6 months? So throwing those two guys together just would bring the division back down. I'm to believe that HBK (who is on the brink of retirement) and Hart (a stroke victim) could beat a young powerful team like ShowMiz? I couldn't buy that. I love these guys and will hate when HBK retires but holding the tag team titles just wouldn't work for anybody. Sounds good. 10 years ago.

No, HELL NO! Sorry but both these guys are way past their primes and to be honest look like they are both on deaths doorstep. Bret is barely going to be able to put on any kind of decent looking match against Vince, there is no way he can hold his own against Miz and Big Show. HBK should have retired 2 years ago at least. He has not been the same since he first came back and has only gotten progressively worse. The only good feuds he has had since he cameback have been with Undertaker. Everything else has been dumb DX stuff where he has just coasted along with Hunter.

although i agree with wat u mean dont say Shawn had no good feuds cept with taker, cause thats ignorant, feud of the year 2008 shawn and jericho, easily one of the best feuds in a long time, give credit where its due, thanks.

I can't believe it IC, you actually descriped the exact team I set up in Smackdown Vs RAW 2008 (for the Hall of Fame challenge of creating a Tag Team and then challenge D-Generation X) and I must admit the team in itself purely by name, and if Bret Hart is able to work a functional wrestling match and actually take some proper bumps to make the match seem like an actual tag team match rather than a 1 on 2 match, then I can absolutely imagine this team.

Although I have my doubts WWE would be doing that, seeing as I don't think Bret Hart sticks around long enough till SummerSlam in a active role that would allow for a proper feud between ShowMiz (or whomever is the tag team champions at the time) for it to seem legit in any form.

But certainly, a pretty good idea you have there IC.

Edit:

No, HELL NO! Sorry but both these guys are way past their primes and to be honest look like they are both on deaths doorstep.

Shawn Michaels is definitely not past his prime, I still believe Shawn can put on absolutely great matches and you know that.

Bret is barely going to be able to put on any kind of decent looking match against Vince, there is no way he can hold his own against Miz and Big Show.

How certain are you about the fact that Bret couldn't possibly put on a good match? I bet he could put on a just fine match for Wrestlemania, enough for it to become memorable, because if he couldn't, I have my doubts WWE would even consider going along with the match.

HBK should have retired 2 years ago at least. He has not been the same since he first came back and has only gotten progressively worse.

You sir, are a moron, quite simply a moron.
Since Shawn's return in 2002 he has put on some of the best matches in WWE history (if you ask me) and in his career, some of the greatest feuds I have ever seen him have, against guys like Triple H, Kurt Angle, and The Undertaker, and some of the greatest promos too, like the one he cut on Hulk Hogan, I must admit that was perhaps one of the most hilarious and "brutal" Shawn Michaels promos ever in my opinion.
Oh and do tell me how he actually managed to pull in the Wrestling Observers Newsletter's match of the year award for 6 years in a row, that's certainly getting progressively worse :disappointed:

The only good feuds he has had since he cameback have been with Undertaker.

So you're basically saying his amazing feud with Triple H was pure bullshit?
I certainly wouldn't, since I think the feud with Triple H produced some absolutely amazing matches outside of Shawn's Wrestlemania matches.

Everything else has been dumb DX stuff where he has just coasted along with Hunter.

Again, he actually feuded with Triple H in case you still haven't gotten that message.

With their bodies from a decade ago maybe, but Shawn's on his last legs and Bret's the walking-dead at this point.

Bionic Redneck obviously strokes his weener tot too much because he's become dillusional.

Moving on..................I think you are in the right church, but the wrong pew with the HBK-Hart thing. Vince missed the boat and should have done a Vince and WHOEVER versus Bret and HBK for Wrestlemania. I covered the build up to what that match should have been in a prior link last month.

What in the blue hell are the WWF Tag Team Titles. I assume you mean the Unified Tag Teams Titles, the greatest titles ever known to mankind.

I think it'd be a pretty badass team. Nobody cares about the tag titles anyway. The tag match is by far the least important match on the WM card this year. The tag titles may as well be used simply for storyline purposes at this point as no one watns to see teams like Cryme Tyme or the Hart Dynasty anyway.

For those who were watching back in the day, an HBK/Bret tag title reign would be incredible, however short it may be. The only problem would be with the whole "HBK is going to retire" thing. Having him come back less than sixth months later would just look silly.

A thought ran through my head recently, and I followed it all the way to a brilliant idea for a double main event match at SummerSlam. I will present the idea here, and welcome reaction, comments on its feasibility, and whehter you'd be interesting in seeing it happen.

This is good. You usually have good and original ideas IC.

Let's operate under the assumption that ShowMiz (or some other heel tag team) heads into SummerSlam with the Tag Team Titles. Let us also assume that Shawn Michaels takes enough time off to last until the SSlam buildup begins. Finally, let's assume Bret Hart is functional this Sunday against Vince McMahon.

Okay, nice start. I say even if Shawn Michaels loses this weekend to The Undertaker, there will be some loophole in the retirement and he'll be back by SummerSlame. I think Hart can work a great match still if he's in shape. Or, he could have a stroke in the ring against Vince and drop dead. It's pretty close, really. But that's not the point of this thread, now is it? Let's get down to business.

How brilliant would it be to watch Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels - two men inexorably linked as all-time rivals - challenge for the WWF Tag Team Titles?

Well, every streak must come to an end. Wether Taker's does this weekend or not, your streak of having good ideas has ended this week. With all respect to you, as you're a truly great poster, this is stupidity. Sheer idiocy. What would be the point in this? Sure, half the Internet Wrestling Community get the chance to cream their pants over it come August, but nothing more than that comes good from it. This exactly is what we do not need in the tag team division. I want the tag team division fixed. And by fixed, I don't mean putting two big-star power names, one of which who we don't really know how long he'll be able to go before he has to quit, in a tag-team to challenge another team. it was okay when they did it with Jericho and Show, or Miz and Show, as it helped build credibility back to the titles which didn't have a shred left. But, no, this is just a bad idea.

It would provide both men some well deserved closure. It would be a treat for the fans who have watched this rivalry blossom since 1992. And if you but the Tag belts on a team like Seamus and McIntyre, it could even serve as another McMahon-centric angle to try to watch the old faves take out McMahons new team.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't the two men recieve their well-deserved closure on January 4th when they hugged in the middle of a WWE ring, on live national television. That was the last time, and only time I believe (?) that these two interacted since Bret returned and we don't need to throw together some storyline out of nowhere building on past events that already have been patched up and had closure. It would be something for the fans who have watched the fued grow since 1992 to see, but so was the hug on the 4th of January. Not to mention the fact that more common fans aren't as familiar with the history between the two. I mean, it's possible I'm wrong, and that it's just me, but I don't think Hart has been getting as good as of reaction as he used to. Of course that's normal, as it's a new generation, which is probably another reason why they're lacking in their reactions. And that little piece about Sheamus and McIntyre winning the titles: Well, I believed I addressed that issue in the paragraph above about why we don't need more built-off star power tag teams, and actual tag teams, although that is a different subject for a different thread. Not to mention I think we only need those McMahon-centric fueds once, maybe twice a year, and that they should be spaced out by six months or so. So that would be about a month or two to early to see a second McMahon fued this year, if we need another at all. Plus it would probably be centered around both McMahon and Hart, and have much focus on the Montreal Screwjob, and both have been used this year. I'm just saying, even if all else works, it might get too repetitive. Although I'm getting off topic, and that last part wasn't the idea you had, I'll wrap up here.

I am anxious to hear thoughts on this idea.

And I am anxious to hear your thoughts on my comments.

Usually, I can't stand the idea of mega-star tag teams. I think they serve zero purpose besides selling t-shirts. But with this one, I am on board...well, I would have been before Bret had a stroke.

Next to Steve Austin, Bret Hart is my favorite wrestler to step through the ropes. But, I don't think I want to see Bret back as a full-time wrestler. That opinion has nothing to do with "not wanting to see an old guy wrestle" like a lot of the idiots that post on this forum. I don't want to see it because I am worried about Bret's health.

Bret has said it himself. He has to watch his head. If he were to come back to the ring, even on an Undertaker-type schedule, he would not only be risking his health, but his life. He could die in the ring, and I'm not over-exagerating. He is in rough shape, and even this street fight with Vince is pushing it a bit.

I love seeing Bret back in the ring. I don't care if he's 52 years old or not, I love it. A lot of moronic, younger fans do not care, because they have no respect for the business. But I have too much respect for Bret to want to watch him possibly risk his life. If he hadn't had a stroke, and was just a regular, 52 year old guy who wanted to get back into the business, I would be fine with it. But he has way too much to lose to do something like this.

Although it'd be interesting, I'd have to say no. Bret Hart is in no shape to get back into wrestling. And with Michaels, no matter the outcome of his match at Wrestlemania, whether he wins, or loses and comes back, WWE is not going to stick him back into the tag team division. If he wins, he deserves a WWE/Heavyweight championship run. Even if not that, he doesn't need to be stuck back into tagteam.

Exactly which bar in New Jersey is now offering mushrooms, as well?

Absolutely not. I mean, sure, it's a wonderful, swell idea in theory, but there's absolutely way to justify this union, from a storyline perspective.

Consider it from both men's perspectives. First we have Bret Hart. Why is he interested in claiming the tag team titles? Wouldn't he rather allow for his relatives, The Hart Dynasty, to have a shot, rather than add another meaningless title reign to his resume? Unless one of ShowMiz, or whatever team they're going to pair up, goes after Bret Hart, and there's absolutely no reason to do that, Bret only has one more thing to do with the company, and that's settle his score with Vince. Bret and Shawn have their had sappy, scripted moment, and they haven't had any other interaction otherwise.

As for Shawn, why would you team with Bret Hart, when you have a younger, more decorated superstar in Triple H, whom you have already a formed a tag team with? Unless Trips is on Smackdown, there's no way you can justify Shawn overlooking Triple H for Bret. Exactly what does Bret Hart have that Triple H doesn't? A movie script you can submit to the Hallmark Channel?

I'm usually for sappy moments, but I am vehemently against this one. I'm not sure where this came from, IC. Not sure at all.

I think the story would be a great one, but to be honest, even if Michaels doesn't retire, having Hart come back and wrestle what would have to be at least three matches at his age and in his condition is kicking the arse out of it a bit. Sure, it'd bring nice closure to their history, but so could a hug at the Raw after WrestleMania when Michaels retires. I just don't think the practicalities of this one will work out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back