If you could pitch a brand new gimmick, what would it be?

Have some fun with it, share some gimmicks you think would be fun or cool or buzzworthy, whatever. And try to be original, don't just slap a slight adjustment on a current Superstar.

My first idea is something I shared recently in a different thread, a Master of Disguise-type gimmick. He would debut in a Royal Rumble match. When the timer hits :00, his name is on the screen and everybody wonders who the hell this guy is. The next thing you see is a cameraman put all of his equipment down, get in the ring and kick some ass to everyone's shock! Then in the future he could be selling snacks in the stands before his match, or a generic one where he dresses as a fan... I don't know, that sounds like something the writers could have fun with.

Another idea of mine would be to put the "sports" back into "sports entertainment." The vignettes would look and feel like a press conference. The group's manager, named "Coach ____," takes a few questions from writers from WWE.com or something as he teases putting together a group of guys who are determined to grab the top prize. Before their matches they show them walking out of the locker room, they could run through a tunnel... The more I describe it I guess it's like if MVP was a stable without all the cockiness. I just like the thought of someone winning a title and his teammates dump a cooler of Gatorade over the coach. Could translate to a character everyone can have fun with!

So what are some of your ideas?

You know, its funny, i was having this idea of a team or stable based product for quite some time.

lot of stables, fighting and winning points for their team. With a final showdown at wrestlemania. it would add a new whole perspective. No so much the typical im better than you lets face off....or the personal issues. But more in the vain of The Ultimate Fighter reality show.

In the end someone will be crowned champion, but the path to that would be interesting.

Have some fun with it, share some gimmicks you think would be fun or cool or buzzworthy, whatever. And try to be original, don't just slap a slight adjustment on a current Superstar.

My first idea is something I shared recently in a different thread, a Master of Disguise-type gimmick. He would debut in a Royal Rumble match. When the timer hits :00, his name is on the screen and everybody wonders who the hell this guy is. The next thing you see is a cameraman put all of his equipment down, get in the ring and kick some ass to everyone's shock! Then in the future he could be selling snacks in the stands before his match, or a generic one where he dresses as a fan... I don't know, that sounds like something the writers could have fun with.

Another idea of mine would be to put the "sports" back into "sports entertainment." The vignettes would look and feel like a press conference. The group's manager, named "Coach ____," takes a few questions from writers from WWE.com or something as he teases putting together a group of guys who are determined to grab the top prize. Before their matches they show them walking out of the locker room, they could run through a tunnel... The more I describe it I guess it's like if MVP was a stable without all the cockiness. I just like the thought of someone winning a title and his teammates dump a cooler of Gatorade over the coach. Could translate to a character everyone can have fun with!

I like your idea of the "sports" angle although I think they're not going to risk doing that for fear of being ridiculued by mainstream media. It's a great idea though. Have the promos be like press conferences where there's a podium set up in the ring and "reporters" in the ring asking questions. Then they should show clips of the wrestler watching film and studying his opponents. I think if done serious and not as a comedy gimmick, it would work.

An idea I've had for awhile is a lawyer gimmick. Again, not a comedy angle but a lawyer angle, more so than Otunga. Have it be a mega-heel and have him do really heelish things in the locker room to his opponents and then threaten to sue them if they harm him. He can have an enforcer "injure" other wrestlers then he can run down to the ring and offer to sue the WWE or sue the guy's opponent or whatever. I think they could have done this with Otunga (a real lawyer) and they botched it.

I've always wanted to see a gimmick based somewhat on the Patrick Bateman character from American Psycho. Of course you couldn't have a murderer running around WWE, but the pathos of the character is the attraction. Rich, vain, sociopathic/psychopathic, always judging everyone else's appearance/personality/financial standing and fiercely jealous when someone does something or has something better than him.

I thought this sort of character would work really well for a guy like Orton who already comes off like that (at least in storyline) a lot of the time but I don't think the tattoos would fit the character. It could work for Damien Sandow if they wanted to move him out of the comedy jobber role eventually, but he would need to shave his beard and trim his hair. Appearance-wise, Johnny Curtis/Fandango wouldn't really need to do anything… again this would have to be a calculated move away from his current comedy jobber role.

Whomever would use this gimmick would need to read the book and watch the movie adaptation, paying especially close attention to the monologues as delivered by Christian Bale and juxtapose them with the crazier rants he delivers during the film. The monologues are usually very subdued, almost monotonous. On the flip side, when he's butchering Jared Leto with an axe, he's ranting about Huey Lewis and The News. If someone can capture that sort of dichotomy in their performance, that gimmick would be GOLD.

It's a stretch but it can be done. I think the way Bray Wyatt has made the Max Cady-meets-Charles Manson gimmick work is a good omen when it comes to WWE using more complex gimmicks in the future.

You mean like Alberto Del Rio just not mexican? erm...just saying... in all seriousness the new guy they have on NXT who is hacking stuff is a little reminiscent of Bale... perhaps this could be Bryan's new gimmick... he goes nuts from the conspiracy only for them to tell him "you won the Rumble...don't you remember?"

If I was going to create a new gimmick right now it would be a proper war vet gimmick. Someone who legit served or fought who can take the salute stuff away from Cena as it's now almost offensive. Perhaps have him a little traumatised so that he occasionally "snaps" during matches...hell even Tony Stark has PTSD...

Failing that I have long thought they should find someone and give them a doctor gimmick, not that they actually are a doctor but they got thrown out of med school and thus they know all the anatomical points of pressure, the damage they will take and wrestle kinda like a surgeon... I used to have a gimmick simlar to this in an e-fed for a tag team... one was just like that, cold almost Lecter like, his partner was a more M.A.S.H type loon...called them Malpractice and their "move" was the Stretcher Ride, where they'd strap someone down to a gurney and roll them off the ramp or into the ring steps etc... that exact gimmick could be a lot of fun.

What about a religious man?. No...not like hbk or sting. I mean like a Priest or something like that.

Who have to struggle between his beliefs and kicking the hell out of his opponents. Having a sense of guilty every time he beat someone.

Kind of a reverse undertaker now that i think.

I had a friend that this idea of a gimmick for a Wrestler where he is like a vampire that sucks his opponents blood or something but once he does he starts stealing or using their finishing moves.

Eh why not?

The Dude, a lazy unkempt guy who just wands to relax and hang out in an RV out back. It would be hilarious. Just have him cut a prompt a in his bathrobe, but put on a good match, for no other reason is that he enjoys wrestling. Have him have an impressive winning streak, and have the authority try to force him to have some sort of title shot, but he seas;es his way out of them because they are too stressful and would kill the fun out of he match. Have him drink Chocolate milk since it is the pg era. I would enjoy the hell out of it. Give him an uptight buddy (Let's call him Walter for now) and have them battle with other teams over stupid things, such as Rollins pissing on his rug that ties his hang out area consisting of patio furniture together.

You mean like Alberto Del Rio just not mexican? erm...just saying... in all seriousness the new guy they have on NXT who is hacking stuff is a little reminiscent of Bale... perhaps this could be Bryan's new gimmick... he goes nuts from the conspiracy only for them to tell him "you won the Rumble...don't you remember?"

If I was going to create a new gimmick right now it would be a proper war vet gimmick. Someone who legit served or fought who can take the salute stuff away from Cena as it's now almost offensive. Perhaps have him a little traumatised so that he occasionally "snaps" during matches...hell even Tony Stark has PTSD...

Failing that I have long thought they should find someone and give them a doctor gimmick, not that they actually are a doctor but they got thrown out of med school and thus they know all the anatomical points of pressure, the damage they will take and wrestle kinda like a surgeon... I used to have a gimmick simlar to this in an e-fed for a tag team... one was just like that, cold almost Lecter like, his partner was a more M.A.S.H type loon...called them Malpractice and their "move" was the Stretcher Ride, where they'd strap someone down to a gurney and roll them off the ramp or into the ring steps etc... that exact gimmick could be a lot of fun.

Not really like ADR at all. I'd class his gimmick as more of the pompous aristocrat type than a high society sociopath. Or, in more wrestling-related terms, ADR is a toned-down Mexican Million Dollar Man. My idea for the Bateman gimmick would take more acting ability than I think Del Rio has. Not to knock ADR at all because I might be one of the few people that actually likes him.

Please, no war vet/soldier gimmicks. First of all, it would have to be an actual war vet or it's just going to fail right out of the gate. Try to package some guy with no military experience as a war vet and play around with some kind a "PTSD" gimmick is going to piss off A LOT of people, at least if WWE is responsible. Historically, military gimmicks are awful. Sgt. Slaughter was probably the best out of all of them, but even then it was cartoonish. If you want to dig up some wrestlecrap, we can always talk about Booker T as GI Bro or Bill Demott as Gen. Hugh E. Rection.

I did the doctor gimmick back in the late 90's for a few e-feds. I even had a move called the Malpractice like you did. But the doctor part didn't last as long as the character itself. And when I think of doctor gimmicks IRL, the first thing that pops in my head is Issac Yankem, DDS. No thanks, lol.

Not really like ADR at all. I'd class his gimmick as more of the pompous aristocrat type than a high society sociopath. Or, in more wrestling-related terms, ADR is a toned-down Mexican Million Dollar Man. My idea for the Bateman gimmick would take more acting ability than I think Del Rio has. Not to knock ADR at all because I might be one of the few people that actually likes him.

Please, no war vet/soldier gimmicks. First of all, it would have to be an actual war vet or it's just going to fail right out of the gate. Try to package some guy with no military experience as a war vet and play around with some kind a "PTSD" gimmick is going to piss off A LOT of people, at least if WWE is responsible. Historically, military gimmicks are awful. Sgt. Slaughter was probably the best out of all of them, but even then it was cartoonish. If you want to dig up some wrestlecrap, we can always talk about Booker T as GI Bro or Bill Demott as Gen. Hugh E. Rection.

I did the doctor gimmick back in the late 90's for a few e-feds. I even had a move called the Malpractice like you did. But the doctor part didn't last as long as the character itself. And when I think of doctor gimmicks IRL, the first thing that pops in my head is Issac Yankem, DDS. No thanks, lol.

The Misfits in Action was supposed to be a joke, but Military characters can be done right, Corporal Kirchner was great, unfortunately the guy who played him worked overly stiff and failed the wellness in the 80's which meant you pretty much had to do blow on McMahon's desk. If done right, heel of face could work.

I would like to elaborate on the gimmick Damien Sandow uses, mixing in the radical college professor component. In my opinon, Sandow only talks about being smart, and does nothing to rub it in the fan's faces other than tell them how smart he is. He enjoys condescending the average American, but does not do it well. I'm a grad student in a field very welcoming to radical faculty members, and I think the Sandow gimmick could borrow a lot from them. I would see this heel doing research on a particular city, state, or even country's (very useful in the UK) history of injustice and try and characterize the audience of being complacent in it (similar to what Edge did for a few weeks to avoid matches while injured). This heel should be able to wrestle with words enough, sowing a little bit of truth in lies, to be a little more convincing than Sandow to really irk the crowds.

I think it would be a trip to see a self sabotaging rock star. Imagine John Morrison being bloated, yet still ripped having a manager or two people guide him to the ring. He'll have these delusional rants whenever he gets the mic and he'll stumble as he wrestles in the ring. Imagine him hitting the split legged corkscrew and just staring off in space or leaning on the ropes afterwards.

Ok, so hear me out, ive been thinking of this one for a while. We have all seen finishers get stolen, but someone who does that every match would be a fun gimmick. He could come out and cut a promo on IDK lets say orton. He could tell him "Im going to beat you at your own game" and never elaborate. Then in their match, the guy hits the RKO. The following week, he faces Kane "Im going to beat you at your own game" Chokeslam on Kane. If you want go the comedy route, you could give this to a smaller wrestler and he could try to do things like the F5 to Lesnar. Or go with the serious role, and get someone who can do a little of everything.

a hipster. Skinny jeans, hates every wrestler ever except for obscure guys like Lanny Pofo. Shits all over every match on commentary and in promos. Basically the IWC.

I love all the Patrick Bateman suggestions. Only maybe instead of music monologues, he does them over classic pro wrestling. "Do you like the Fabulous Freebirds? Their early work was a little too obscure for me, too southern, too narrow. It wasn't until they acted more like a national act against the Von Erichs as villains with a different worldview that I feel they really came into their own; both on the mic and in the ring. In 1984 the Von Erich and the Freebirds had this match *points to monitor*, a street fight deep in the heart of Texas, their best match ever. A lot of people see this simply as a hate filled brawl, but they should really look deeper. It represents different cultural ideologies on a level everyone can relate to. Hey John (Cena as he's walking by)...AUUUUGGGHHH *hits his finisher on Cena* TRY HAVING A DECENT MATCH WITH KHALI NOW YOU STUPID BASTARD!"

Or something like that...

I'm gonna tell you all the gimmicks I've come up with throughout the years.

1. Hero

Bo Dallas has kinda ripped me off with the whole "heel who thinks he's a face", but I once came up with a gimmick about a guy who thinks he's here to save the WWE Universe, and any time he gets booed cutting a promo on his opponents, he embraces it as them booing his opponents. He'd be completely delusional, but in a deranged sort of way, instead of Bo's innocent way.

2. Only speaks Spanish

I originally thought of this gimmick for Carlito, but over the years, I've thought it could work well with Alberto or Sin Cara. Have him only address the crowd in Spanish with Rosa Mendes translating for him. He could win the US title and rechristen it the "Puerto Rican" or "Mexican" title depending on who it was. I think refusing to speak English has a lot of promise to get major heat.

3. David Otunga and JTG

This one is specific for this duo. JTG commits crimes and Otunga backs him up as his lawyer. I can see them being an entertaining heel duo, while also a comedic babyface team. Play up JTG's kleptomania. Dude can't stop committing petty thefts, and Otunga always has to bail him out. I think it could be a lot of fun.

4. Scarface

I specifically came up with this one for Alberto Del Rio. Explain how he makes all his money. Allude to the fact that he's some drug kingpin in Mexico. Ride on Breaking Bad's popularity. I think you can have Armando Estrada back as his right-hand-man. He runs things down in Cuba for him. I once wrote a story about Sami Callihan debuting as the enforcer of a business partner of Del Rio's in USA who is pissed at Del Rio for cutting him off. Eventually reveal that Sami's boss was actually Paul Heyman leading to a huge Del Rio/Brock match.

5. Japanese wrestling purist

I came up ith it a long time ago for Yoshi Tatsu. Now that I think about it, this is actually the PERFECT time for this gimmick to work. He's a heel who wants fans to behave themselves. He brings out about 10 "fans" every week to sit at ringside and show the crowd how to behave. They clap and bow and do silent gestures while "teaching" the crowd how to be respectful. The crowd would go into a frenzy. And once the gimmick runs its course, you could eventually reveal his posse to be a gang and beats up one of his opponents.

6. A wolfpack of smaller guys

The Shield almost ripped this idea off, but Roman made sure they stood out. My idea is to have a bunch of smaller guys join up and attack much bigger guys. Guys like Evan Bourne, Tyson Kidd, and small cruiserweights get together and form a gang that just beats the living hell out of guys like Big Show and Kane. They synchronize like a pack of wolves so they always feel like a credible threat as long as they're together. I always picture six as the magic number for some reason, so I'm thinking Evan Bourne, Justin Gabriel, Adrian Neville, Tyson Kidd, Sami Zayn and Curt Hawkins.

7. Illusionist

Now, people would usually laugh at the idea of a wrestler doing magic tricks. But I'm talking about a gimmick more in the vein of The Shade (Batman villain) than a street magician. This dude would be a total badass heel who uses tricks to his advantage. Imagine him being in the ring, and when someone goes to attack him, he throws a cape around him and he suddenly disappears? Imagine if he did tricks in the vein of Criss Angel every week getting WWE a lot of momentum in the media. A gimmick like that could definitely work. Plus, if the guy can go on the mic, he could really get over the idea how he is the Master Manipulator and how reality is only what he allows it to be.

I would be a knight and wrestle in a knights templar tabard and probably an aluminium coif and I would refer to the crowed as my squires..

I always thought a copycat gimmick would work. Kind of like they did with Eugene using certain finishers, except full on & not ******ed.

He would obviously be a comedy jobber. They would have to go all out though, right down to taunts & complete moveset. They could even use cheap knockoff entrance themes like elevator music style. Would not work for long but funny enough for a few weeks.

Also:

A French-Canadien Drug Lord. Super nice guy who illegally sells legal pharmaceuticals. Like Scarface but with a happy-go-lucky attitude.

A guy with amnesia who thinks he is a pirate. Like from Dodgeball, but when he takes a shot to the head- he remembers who he really is- A used car salesman from somewhere random like Topeka, Kansas.

A hypnotised janitor. Hears a keyword, throws off the coveralls & snaps to action. Armed with his trusty mop he cleans your clock & takes out the trash.

I think it would be a trip to see a self sabotaging rock star. Imagine John Morrison being bloated, yet still ripped having a manager or two people guide him to the ring. He'll have these delusional rants whenever he gets the mic and he'll stumble as he wrestles in the ring. Imagine him hitting the split legged corkscrew and just staring off in space or leaning on the ropes afterwards.

LOL, I like the idea. I think it could work for Heath Slater more than John Morrison. Morrison has a dry delivery that can work with other types of characters better, but Heath would own this gimmick.

That's a really good idea. I think it could work, especially if you never show the guy's face. Always use fake wigs and make-up on him when he does his Master of Disguise skits. Let him wrestle under different "faces" every week. Eventually you can reveal his actual face so he can get over, but by that time, he would have gained awesome credibility as a Master of Disguise.

I thought an Arrogant Atheist gimmick would be great. Insulting people's religious beliefs would be controversial and get huge heat I would think. Damien Sandow would make this work well, he wouldn't have to change characters, just work a program with the right person. I personally love Christopher Hitchens, so this is who I would base the character on. He could always have a glass of scotch on him too.

I wonder if WWE could ever pull off a more serious gay-wrestler gimmick. Not a bunch of stupid gay jokes constantly or him being flamboyant. No Rico, or Billy and Chuck. Just a regular guy who happens to be openly gay, or outed. Then people avoid him and some refuse to wrestle him and he just snaps and lets out his frustration in the ring. Obviously Darren Young comes to mind, but the subject matter is so sensitive. After he came out, a Titus vs Darren feud with Titus as a homophobic heel could have had potential. It'd be personal, but that's what made Hardy/Edge so great right?

Also, an MMA fighter trying to adapt to pro wrestling rules. He'd get frustrated with rope grabs breaking his submissions, DQ'd for throwing too many punches, complain about opponents leaving the ring, etc. and petition rule changes. They'd also be able to counter almost any move into a submission of some sort.

I always thought a copycat gimmick would work. Kind of like they did with Eugene using certain finishers, except full on & not ******ed.

He would obviously be a comedy jobber. They would have to go all out though, right down to taunts & complete moveset. They could even use cheap knockoff entrance themes like elevator music style. Would not work for long but funny enough for a few weeks.

Also:

A French-Canadien Drug Lord. Super nice guy who illegally sells legal pharmaceuticals. Like Scarface but with a happy-go-lucky attitude.

A guy with amnesia who thinks he is a pirate. Like from Dodgeball, but when he takes a shot to the head- he remembers who he really is- A used car salesman from somewhere random like Topeka, Kansas.

A hypnotised janitor. Hears a keyword, throws off the coveralls & snaps to action. Armed with his trusty mop he cleans your clock & takes out the trash.

No...Noo...Nooooo...

First off they ain't going French Canadian gangster... you might remember a guy called Dino Bravo who turned out to be one for real and got a bullet through the head cos he upset someone in that world... can you imagine what they'd do to Vince et al if they thought they were being mocked? In fact Bravo was professionally riddled with bullets...so no - Cena in a gangster suit is as close as they go.

Steve the"Pirate" was a lame joke in Dodgeball... They had a guy do this, it was Birchill and it never even got off the ground... he at least had the look and Johnny Depp accent...

Hypnotised guy who can suddenly wrestles... You mean Festus?

and as you have Nick Dinsmore in NXT, just bring Eugene back, what's the point of creating a new one... if it's not PC to have him "******" any more they can say he has "improved" for being part of the WWE Universe....

I am sure Pat Patterson would love to pull off some more gay gimmicks (sorry couldn't resist that open goal from your choice of words....) but the reality is they have an openly gay, recently out man on their roster so they are not going to use gimmicks for that, they'd encourage any wrestlers also gay to come out. They would push Darren Young, perhaps using some aspects of his life but they won't use any more "Billy and Chuck" or "Adrian Adonis" style comedy for them as it would be offensive.

I think the master of disguise idea is actually pretty cool. Sorta like what they did with Brad Maddox wrestling as a former ref. I could see them having a camera man even for just a normal PPV match that seems to be always right at the center of the action and then turn around and attack Cena or something on the outside to get his opponent the win. Then just have him, or other people, randomly attacking wrestlers backstage while pushing stage equipment around, or cutting the lights for guys to attack. Have a new Shield style stable where the people involved are the ones running the show/production.

I had a thought of changing the sheamus gimmick. Have him appear in horrible wwe studios movies, then slowly turn him into an arrogant pig. He stops gelling his hair, gets rid of the beard, dyes his hair black and gets a disgusting fake tan, completing the transformation into "Hollywood Sheamus". He would then constantly belittle the fans and refuse to wrestle as it might mess up his looks, or because his opponent is below him.
What do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back