• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

I Was Wrong About Josh Mathews

Uncle Sam

Rear Naked Bloke
It takes a big man to admit he was wrong. A humongous man. A giant of a man. A man with a chiseled jaw and washboard abs. A man, most of all, with a penis so large it can only be described as intimidating.

It's with this in mind that I admit that I was wrong about Josh Mathews. I said he was vanilla. So vanilla, in fact, that I mistook him for Todd Grisham. I was watching RAW last night and I realised he was actually quite good. Whereas Booker T will say the most random shit known to man - and, for some reason, put heels over and bury faces - and Matt Striker will abandon his post to go and interview people, Matthews actually compensates for heel Cole's weaknesses (i.e. the fact that he'll abandon his character if he has to do any actual play-by-play) and compliments Jerry Lawler quite well. Unlike most face commentators, he doesn't dig himself into a hole constantly and he doesn't back the faces for the sake of backing the faces. For example, at Elimination Chamber, he called Ezekiel Jackson pulling Justin Gabriel (who wasn't the legal man) out of the ring as fair; which it pretty much was. Kudos, Josh Mathews.

I bet he still can't do a moonsault though.

Got to agree. The past couple of weeks I have been impressed with Josh Matthews aswell. I hope they keep him there for WM (though I doubt it). Also interesting thought...if Lawler/Cole is to happen....does that mean the return of good ol' JR?? Here's hoping *fingers crossed*

Josh to me, is entertaining on commentary when put with Cole especially and others, he can make jokes, call matches well, and has proven he can hang with veteran announcers. He's like the mini version of Cole but different in that he backs people for what they are not because they are face or heel.

I think he is really oming into his own as of late. I'd like to see him as part of a three man team with King and Cole. He'd playthe middle man very well. I'd leave smackdown for Booker, Grisham /Striker and or Cole.

I've been a fan of Matthews even back when he was just an interviewer on Smackdown. Hell, when he was in Tough Enough I liked him. Guy is still there in WWE, and he didn't even win TE. That takes something.

I think he'll make a great play-by-play commentator. When Michael Cole ran last night he did a better job than Cole in my opinion at the play-by-play.

Josh Matthews is my favourite WWE announcer at the moment, even more than "The King". Hope he keeps doing well, and I hope he gets to announce at Wrestlemania in some capacity.

I've always like Mathews... He knows his stuff, has a bit of character to him and isn't afraid of making jokes at Cole's expense. Got no problems with him at all. He can pick up the ball when the onus is put on him to come up with something.

Grisham, on the other hand... FUCK.

Josh Mattews is Micheal Cole era 1999..

The little guy nobodies suppose to take serious and when gets ganged up on in interviews, stand there and takes it.

For a little man from Tough Enough who knew he couldn't make it as a wrestler made the most smartest decision a man could make in WWE.

& I've said it before and I'll say it again..

Josh Mattews will be the next Micheal Cole in 5-10 years.

I agree. And like Jason Scene, I've watched him since the Tough Enough days. I even remember an episode where all the people in the house were watching wrestling and he couldn't watch with them because they would take and analyze during the entire thing and he couldn't do it. He had to watch it alone to really study what was happening and not having people interrupt the action. I've always liked that guy. He was amazingly talented on T.E. but unfortunately I believe due to his size he never made it as a wrestler and he definitely made the right decision to become a personality on tv. He's definitely going to have a long future in the WWE.

Uncle Sam, you genuinely make me laugh at loud. In a good way, you're a genius.

Anyway.

I've always loved Josh Matthews, and I'm glad to see he's getting his big break of sorts as a commentator. I'm also happy for him for the fact that he's actually good at it, and does good play-by-play, the area that Cole the super-heel is weak at.

If I have to fault him, I guess it'll be that he won't go "OH MY GAWD! WHAT THE HELL?!" everytime Austin or The Rock show up. Ah well.

I've liked Matthews since TE and think he made a gret choice to get behind the mic. He's knowledgeable, competent, and actually good at his job unlike Grisham(again why does he still have a job with WWE?) and Cole. Cole is doing great as the cowardly heel with a mancrush on miz but as a PBP announcer he undoubtedly, unquestionably, 100%, absolutely SUCKS! He adds nothing to matches that don't involve the Miz. Josh on the other hand can actually get you interested in a match by doing his job (calling the PBP)

I think Josh will be the one to replace King when he decides to leave eventually. On a side note I believe King's retirement won't be too far away as this seems to be his last hurrah!

I have always liked Josh Mathews, I have never seen him do anything that made me think he was out of his depth. He has filled in a variety of roles in the WWE since appearing in Tough Enough, and I am glad to see him getting his time in the spotlight on TV. I hope he sticks around after King retires, he deserves a shot at being one of the permanant announcers

Josh was a wrestler back in 2004 where he's still undefeated at 2-0 w/ victories of JBL and Orlando Jordan. He will be the permanent play by play on raw or be back on smackdown! and put Striker w/ Cole on RAW or Booker. I think Josh has a long run comin for him w/ the E.

It takes a big man to admit he was wrong. A humongous man. A giant of a man. A man with a chiseled jaw and washboard abs. A man, most of all, with a penis so large it can only be described as intimidating.

It's with this in mind that I admit that I was wrong about Josh Mathews. I said he was vanilla. So vanilla, in fact, that I mistook him for Todd Grisham. I was watching RAW last night and I realised he was actually quite good. Whereas Booker T will say the most random shit known to man - and, for some reason, put heels over and bury faces - and Matt Striker will abandon his post to go and interview people, Matthews actually compensates for heel Cole's weaknesses (i.e. the fact that he'll abandon his character if he has to do any actual play-by-play) and compliments Jerry Lawler quite well. Unlike most face commentators, he doesn't dig himself into a hole constantly and he doesn't back the faces for the sake of backing the faces. For example, at Elimination Chamber, he called Ezekiel Jackson pulling Justin Gabriel (who wasn't the legal man) out of the ring as fair; which it pretty much was. Kudos, Josh Mathews.

I bet he still can't do a moonsault though.

He's come a long way. His commentary is good. I do find it irratating the way he treats Todd Grisham on NXT, he sounds like a bratty little kid with a chip of his shoudler and like a Jr. Michael Cole.

Sometimes I don't like these commentators switching back from face to heel to heel to face. Although it is more realistic for a person these days to like wrestlers both faces and heels I like more of a stance like JR had. He knew who he was, he knew what he liked and he always stuck to that. He didn't like the heels but when did something of great athletic value he would give them their praise. I respect that.

It's confusing when Matt Striker loves Vickie Guerrero for weeks and then all of a sudden starts making fun of her with King. Are you into Vickie or are you not? Although I do enjoy Striker 90% of the time.

I love CM Punk but I did not like his commentary in the WWE as many people did.. One day he would praise Michael Cole, and then he'd make fun of him like wtf? It make me think is he a heel commentator or is he a face? Is he trying to be a smart mark commentator... I don't know I just don't think being a smart mark commentator for the sake of internet crowd isn't a good thing because if you're on WWE and you're making fun of the product you're just gonna make the product look stupid and you work for that product so you kind of look stupid too.

I don't get it.

Oh I remember those days months ago where a young, confused boy came to Wrestlezone forums mistaking Josh Matthews for Todd Grisham, thinking he was a dull, vanilla, dime a dozen commentator. It seems that boy has done some soul searching and has emerged as a man, a Josh Matthews loving man. I'm so proud I could cry.

Josh Matthews will be calling WWE matches as long as he feels like it, and I think he is the future voice of the WWE. He's funny, he's quick-witted, and he knows his way around a wrestling match. Hell, he can call a match better than Cole can, possibly because he actually has in-ring experience. I'm very happy the WWE has taken him off of interviews and put him behind the announce table because that is where he truly shines.

Josh Mathews actually does his job.I agree with y'all he gets you interested in the match unlike the others who just seem to be there.I would love to see him as the PBP guy on Raw with King if we can't get JR let's get a guy everyone likes as Raw's lead PBP.:cool:

I say put Mathews with Striker on Smackdown and let Cole stay on just Raw. Booker has not been a pleasant addition to the commentator booth IMO because of the way he talks.
JR is my fav PBP and Mathews would be second. I think Striker is best color since Bobby the Brain. I like people who are knowledgeable and have a natural talent for what they do like these two. I hope WWE catches on to it. It would seem so since Grisham is now rserved for backstage interviews again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back