I Personally Think

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
Why do people feel the need to clarify that it's their own personal thought? Either they're your own thoughts or you've developed telepathic powers and can know others' thoughts. Same thing as "in my opinion." If I wanted to see someone else's opinion, I wouldn't be reading what you were saying.

"In my opinion" I attribute to a shortened version of "in my humble opinion", which is/was a tactic used in discussing hostile/contentious topics.

In my opinion, I personally think I'll have to agree with you on this one Klunderbunker. In all seriousness though I do that all the time unfortunately.

I saw it in a thread and I've thought about it before. It doesn't make me mad, just one of those things that pops into my head. Like when you say you're expecting a baby. What else would you be expecting? A toaster?

43319692.jpg

Like when you say you're expecting a baby. What else would you be expecting? A toaster?

Understood. When my wife and I first found out she was pregnant a few years ago, we told everyone she was expecting. Not one person asked what, just boy or girl. And when we knew, we added 'A Girl' on.

Why do people feel the need to clarify that it's their own personal thought? Either they're your own thoughts or you've developed telepathic powers and can know others' thoughts. Same thing as "in my opinion." If I wanted to see someone else's opinion, I wouldn't be reading what you were saying.

To separate themselves from other people's opinion in a discussion.

Such as "this study states X, but in my opinion I believe it to be wrong."

Really it's nothing more than an extension of saying "I think...", a synonym of the phrase "I think" if you will.

So we appear to separate ourselves from a group mentality and feel like our thoughts and opinions are original?

I think it's a subconscious thing though.

I know I'm guilty of typing those phrases without really giving it much thought.

Also what Mozz said is true too. It helps clarify that it is an opinion opposed to stating something as a fact.

It eliminates part of a conversation where someone would state something and then someone would reply "Is that true?" which then you would reply "No. It's just what I think." or "No. It's just my opinion."

So we appear to separate ourselves from a group mentality and feel like our thoughts and opinions are original?

I think it's a subconscious thing though.

I know I'm guilty of typing those phrases without really giving it much thought.

Also what Mozz said is true too. It helps clarify that it is an opinion opposed to stating something as a fact.

It eliminates part of a conversation where someone would state something and then someone would reply "Is that true?" which then you would reply "No. It's just what I think." or "No. It's just my opinion."

Then people need to quit being so sure of themselves. If you say something, be sure you're right and have some bass in your voice. It got me an admin spot.

Saying "I believe it" is letting people know that it's your opinion, so adding the "In my opinion" is both superfluous and grammatically awkward.

Not necessarily true.

In English people often separate "I believe" and "I think" to have two different levels of "power" or meaning.

Also, as I said, "I believe", "in my opinion", "I think", etc all are really just synonyms of each other and can be used interchangeably and in combination to give more weight or credibility to what's being said.

"I believe, in my opinion, ..." can be argued to as giving more personal weight/power than simply saying "I think" or any of the synonyms of it by itself.

English and how we use it is kind of just scattered in multiple directions.

When I do it I probably am being a bit redundant. I'd probably say it when I know that there is an extreme contrast to what I'm saying like "In my opinion I don't think Peyton Manning should be considered as one of the greatest of all time". Though now that I think about it I really wouldn't have to put that there when I could just say "I think Peyton Manning shouldn't be considered..." so you definitely have a point. For me it's definitely a bad habit, but I don't think I'll make a promise on breaking it. I might be a little be aware next time I use it and try to rewrite it some other way.

I'm just going to throw in my two cents:

Follow me on this for a second. Let me just say I personally think, and this is just my opinion, but has anyone else noticed the amount of disclaimers and worthless phrases which get used on the forum? Now remember, and try to stay with me on this, I'm just talking about this particular thing, not something else. I want to know what everyone else thinks. Thoughts?

Mods, feel free to move this, if necessary.

I'm just going to throw in my two cents:

Follow me on this for a second. Let me just say I personally think, and this is just my opinion, but has anyone else noticed the amount of disclaimers and worthless phrases which get used on the forum? Now remember, and try to stay with me on this, I'm just talking about this particular thing, not something else. I want to know what everyone else thinks. Thoughts?

Mods, feel free to move this, if necessary.

What you did there.

I C It.

But then, that's just like your opinion, man.

Not necessarily true.

In English people often separate "I believe" and "I think" to have two different levels of "power" or meaning.

Also, as I said, "I believe", "in my opinion", "I think", etc all are really just synonyms of each other and can be used interchangeably and in combination to give more weight or credibility to what's being said.

"I believe, in my opinion, ..." can be argued to as giving more personal weight/power than simply saying "I think" or any of the synonyms of it by itself.

English and how we use it is kind of just scattered in multiple directions.

For added emphasis, you mean? That can be done in the inflection of the "I believe that" aspect of speaking, rather then adding on words that are unneccessary and, honestly, make an individual sound unsure of their opinion.

People who get their points across best are the most direct. I associate using things such as "In my opinion" with uncertainty, or otherwise, anxiety.

For added emphasis, you mean? That can be done in the inflection of the "I believe that" aspect of speaking, rather then adding on words that are unneccessary and, honestly, make an individual sound unsure of their opinion.

People who get their points across best are the most direct. I associate using things such as "In my opinion" with uncertainty, or otherwise, anxiety.

I hardly think any of these quotes using the phrase "in my opinion" within the quote to be "uncertain" or contain "anxiety."

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/in_my_opinion.html

I hardly think any of these quotes using the phrase "in my opinion" within the quote to be "uncertain" or contain "anxiety."

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/in_my_opinion.html

Use "In my opinion" or "I believe it", not both together. That, as I posted twice, is my point. Both together are superfluous.

Look at the quotes you posted. Did any of them have both disclaimers in them? And yet, despite not doing so, all of those quotes got their points across nicely, did they not?

Use "In my opinion" or "I believe it", not both together. That, as I posted twice, is my point. Both together are superfluous.

Look at the quotes you posted. Did any of them have both disclaimers in them? And yet, despite not doing so, all of those quotes got their points across nicely, did they not?

in my opinion, i believe greatness is measured in ones qualitative contribution on his/her fellow humane, it is more than "knowing what do do", "being able to do", or "charisma". because your praise can only be sang by the people you have help and affected.If therefore your praise must be heard atop the ladder of greatness, you then must help someone climb there, to sing your praise. - GABRIEL OKPE

You were saying?

Is it superfluous? Maybe, but often times when you're looking to add additional weight to something it ends up being superfluous.

youdon'tsay.jpg

You're complaining about people using "I believe, in my opinion," when discussing.

Yet I'm the nitpicker?

Complaining? No, I opined reagrding it. Perish the day!

You're the one who broke out the quotebook, and when I pointed out that all of them were only using the declarative once, you found the ONE quote in hundreds that differed.

That's nitpicking to a "T", cochise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back