How Will You Be Remembered? 4: Eddie Guerrero

Chicago1989

Ain't it sleep first then eat?
With me being inspired by IDR with his "Success, Bust, or In-Between" threads, I figured why not create a new series myself..

These "How Will You Be Remembered" threads are about looking back at the careers of legendary wrestlers and giving you guys the opportunity to say what will you remember the most about someone, sort of like a testimonial. Was it their contributions to the wrestling business?, The great matches they delivered?, Their legacy in wrestling?....that's all on you. I'll also give a short review of the career of that certain wrestler as well.

In this fourth edition of HWYBR?, we're gonna cover the Latino legend known as the late great Eddie Guerrero.

huhwyw.jpg

Eddie Guerrero started his wrestling career in the late 80's working in multiple wrestling companies in Mexico before working his first stint in WCW in the early 90's. He met his mentor and tag team partner Art Barr in Mexico and they became one of the most hated luchalibre tag teams of all time. Both were noticed by Paul Heyman in 1994 and were offered to work in ECW. Art Barr died and Eddie work on his own in ECW. At the same time, he was also working for Japan. In ECW, he became the ECW World Television Champion and worked classic matches with Dean Malenko before both of them headed out to WCW. In WCW, he feuded with big names such as Ric Flair, Diamond Dallas Page, Konnan, Chris Jericho, and Rey Mysterio Jr. He then became frustrated with WCW, creating the LWO and The Filthy Animals. He then left WCW and signed with the WWF in 2000, along with Dean Malenko, Chris Benoit, and Perry Saturn. They were known as "The Radicalz" and were the first to start the "invasion" angle. Eddie was then known as "Latino Heat" for his storyline with Chyna. He became the WWF European and Intercontinental Champion soon after. He was first released by the WWF in 2001 for drunk driving. He worked ROH's first show and worked other indie companies as well before returning to the WWE in 2002. He then feuded with guys like Rob Van Dam, Ric Flair, Edge, and The Rock for the WWE Title. He and Chavo Guerrero formed "Los Guerreros" and won the WWE Tag Team Championships from the team of Edge and Rey Mysterio at Survivor Series '02. He then became the WWE United States Champion and feuded with Chavo Guerrero, John Cena, and The Big Show. In 2004, he became the WWE Champion for the first time by defeating Brock Lesnar. He defended the title against Kurt Angle and lost it to JBL at The Great American Bash '04. He formed a tag team with Rey Mysterio and won the WWE Tag Team Championships once again, which would become his final title. He turned on Rey and feuded with him after losing the tag titles to MNM. After that, he then began a feud with Batista for the World Heavyweight Championship. He turned babyface once again and became friends with Batista. He then wrestled his final match against Mr. Kennedy in November 11, 2005 for a spot at the SmackDown! Survivor Series team. He died two days later from a heart failure disease at a hotel. The following RAW and SmackDown! shows were then dedicated as a tribute to Eddie after his death. He was then inducted into the WWE Hall Of Fame in 2006 by Rey Mysterio, Chris Benoit, and Chavo Guerrero.

Looking back at his accomplished and amazing career, what will you remember the most about Eddie Guerrero?

There are three things I will always remember about Eddie Guerrero

1. Latino Heat
I think the only reason I remember this is because the way King used to always say it in a high pitched voice. But everytime I think Eddie Guerrero I think LATINO HEAT

2. Viva la Raza
One of my favorite wrestling catch phrases. If anyone knows the English translation I would love to know it. I looked it up once and believe it was 'Live the Race'.

3. His undisputed title win over Brock Lesnar
I don't remember what PPV it was at but that was a great match and I was shocked that Eddie won. It is cliche but I can remember being totally shocked that Eddie was able to overcome all that was Brock Lesnar. It was one of those moments they talk about when they say 'suspend disbelief'.

I will always remember him as the lien cheating steeling eddie Guerrero:

I always loved eddie but it was always when he would cheat to win, but hitting the floor with a chair with the refs back turned then pass the chair to his opponent and act like he was unconscious, i remember one time when the ref turned to sound the bell he looked up and waved to his opponent that was rather funny.

I will also always remember the great match he had at wrestlemania with kurt angle that was a really good match.

I will remember many things as he is one of my top three faves of all time, but I think what stands out at me most are two things:

1) When he beat the crap out of Tajiri for touching his car in the most gloriously failed heel turn ever. People cheered so loudly for him I knew his time was coming.

2) LWO-I was never anywhere near as excited about a wrestling faction forming as I was when LWO formed and never have been since. It had most of my favorite wrestlers in the WCW at the time (specifically Psicosis) and was when I first really started liking Eddie Guerrero.

Viva La Raza literally means 'live the race' but really means more like "long live the race (generally, people of Mexican heritage)" Basically associable to "black power" or any other rallying cry of that fashion. Konnan had "Arriba la raza" (literally, up with the race, but essentially the same thing) and took it a step further with "nosotros somos unos vatos locos forever" or "we are some crazy dudes....forever."

Edit: What Pepen said.

Eddie was a rare breed of wrestler in the modern day.

The IWC loved Eddie. And his reach was far and out better than any other wrestler. The older generation of fans liked him because he was one of the few exceptional 'wrestlers' left in the business and the younger generation loved him because of his amazingly lovable gimmick.

Answering the question, I will forever remember his match with Kurt Angle at Wrestlemania XX.

It still puts a smile on my face now watching it, how he untied his boot and when Kurt slapped on the ankle lock he simply slid out his foot and rolled up Angle into a small package for the win. Simply priceless moments.

Back in 2003, I'll always remember telling my friends that there are 3 reasons to watch Smackdown> The Undertaker, Heel Rapper Cena and Eddie Guerrero.

Eddie's case was so great. After all these years he finally had a gimmick that broke him away from the mid-card status and had him as one of the most over Champions.

There is no denying he was and forever will be a IWC darling. But he was so respected in the locker room for all that he conquered makes his story truly amazing and yet tearful.

He passed at the peak of his career, for it as clear that he had finally became a top player and I could see another WM classic..not to be

Eddie was a wrestler that brought the comedy of Bobby Heenan and the wrestling skills of a Bret Hart (in light speed) to a perfect symmetry and did it night in night out.
One of the best ever, that's how he will be remembered

Eddie was one of the reasons I started watching smackdown. I loved it when he stole Kurts stuff and "auctioned" it off. Then there was Los Guerreros. I loved the weekly videos of Eddie and Chavo lying, cheating, and stealing. He will be remembered forever. 20 years from now, they will still be talking about Eddie. Long live Latino Heat.

I will remember Eddie Guerrero for being one of the greatest overall wrestlers, having great microphone skills, ability to entertain the crowd, and work them both as a heel and a face, he was great in the ring as well.

Eddie accomplished lots in the business, with numerous championship reigns across the world in numerous promotions, horning his craft like the biographies always say about someone "he horned his craft in ..."

Eddie Guerrero is one of my favorites wrestlers of all time, he will be missed and remembered as a great talent, R.I.P Eddie.

I was in attendance at Eddie's "funeral", basically the back-to-back RAW and Smackdown shows in Minneapolis immediately following his untimely death. I never was a big Eddie fan, but his memorial was very emotional and compelling and I'm glad I was a part of it. Wrestling was definitely better with him around, he was just never my favorite. Never dug the racist Latino gimmick.

I remember Eddie from his WCW days. He never seemed to get the push he deserved. He was stuck in mid card status for so long. Then seeing him show up in the WWE with Dean and Perry Saturn, that was amazing. Glad he finally got his shot in the WWE.

Even though I never got to follow Eddie's WCW and ECW career back then, from what I've seen from his work, I'll remember him for paving the way for hispanic wrestlers and being a world-class athlete. He was an amazing wrestler with a gimmick (Lie, Cheat, & Steal) that was humorous but also something that I believe can continue for a long time with the right personality and charisma that Eddie had. If I was a wrestler, I would love to adopt that gimmick as an honor to him. :)

To me he's remember as
One hell of a funny guy
A good ring general
A hell of a leader (when he wasn't in his personal slump)
A latino that cross the boundaries from LuchaLibra to American style high flying.
Was involved in some of the most entertaining storylines and a big headline in keeping WCW's entertinment factor alive in the crusierweight division.

I was crushed when the news broke, and still to this day remember him

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back