• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How exactly are new stars created?

Widdows

The Goodwill Ambassador
A lot is said of WWE's need to create new stars, but how exactly are new stars created? Surely the likes of John Cena, Hulk Hogan, The Rock etc etc weren't just formed overnight?

WWE were scared that Ted DiBiase's face turn would fall flat, so decided against it.

They have tried forcing new stars [see Sheamus] but that just almost felt wrong.

I hope this thread is a good one as it is my first. I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong place or has already been discussed.

this is how i see wwe making main eventers. lets look at kofi (another failed attempt) he was over with the crowd, had won the tag titles and us title, so they decided to make him bigger. they inserted him into a feud with randy orton who got him over at first, but then pushed himright back down. i have a feeling they will do the same with mcintyre, miz, and morrison, but i hope they succedd with those.

Promoters don't create stars. The crowd does. Try and Try as they will but if the crowd doesn't buy into them, they fail. Look at some of the ones who were "shoved down our throats". Great Khali....World Champion now comic character. Snitzky.....Evil big man now unemployed. Mike Knox......Next big monster now off TV. Chris Masters......Unstopable force now booby dancing. Vladimir Koslov.......Samba bad ass now failed on all 3 shows. Mark Henry.....Worlds Strongest Man now just takes up space and gets the token push for Michael Hays comments. There a hell of a lot more but those 3 come to mind the most. Eventually if the crowd doesn't react to you there is no way a star can be created. As for back stage politics.....who knows.....99% of us aren't backstage so it's all hear-say and rumors. I think that if a performer can stay out of trouble, work a mic, wrestle at an above-average level, have a unique character and get some kind of reaction from the crowd will eventually get over and a star will be created. As for 2 wrestlers mentioned....Kofi has the skills but I think his character needs tweeked to take him to the next level. If they would have stuck with the anger in him at the start of the Orton fued, he may have elevated. Either the writers, Vince or Kofi himself changed it for the worse. He'll be back up there again. As for the Sheamus hating.....I'm sorry but Sheamus is a good wrestler. He has the unique look (pale muscleman), he has the in-ring skill (remember he's trained in Europe which is a different style than we are used to), he just needs some mic work. Give him a great heal manager so he doesn't have to talk as much and you have a top-tier heel better than most in WWE and almost all of TNA. The promoters try to give the crowd what they think is what they want. Sometime they are right and sometimes they are wrong but we the fans and the crowd determine what stars are created. Just because you are champ doesn't mean you are a star (David Arquette anyone). Am I right? WHo the heck knows. That is just my opinion to the topic.

There's small gyms that teach wrestling, and, most of those gyms have connections into larger gyms, or connections to book wrestlers somewhere, then people discover them. It's just like football or baseball. There's thousands of people trying to do it. Baseball has Co-Ed softball, we have backyard wrestling.
You have to work your way to the top, just like anything else in life.

Talent Scouts don't ever get enough respect for what they do. These individuals travel the WORLD-not just North America, but all over looking for promising stars. Especially in the field of wrestling. Every superstar you see has in some way, shape, or form been watched by a talent scout. Scouts look for athleticism, charisma, and just overall fan reaction.

Scouts talk to the people they are interested in, and it gets off the ground from there.

Of course most of it has to do with the fact that Vince has to see something in the guy. Or someone that Vince trusts, like HHH, has to see something in the guy. That's why Sheamus is getting the push right now, because Triple H thinks he's got something to offer. It doesn't hurt to have a daddy or granddaddy or cousin or uncle or family member in general who was in the business too by the way. Randy Orton, The Rock, Carlito, Chavo, Mysterio, the list goes on and on...Orton's dad, Carlito's dad, Chavo's family in general, Mysterio's uncle, and The Rock's...well damn near the whole Isle of Samoa plus his daddy Rocky Johnson. I digress... Having it in your blood or having someone who likes you in the company is a sure way to get to the top just like in any company.

A lot of it has to come from the crowd. No matter what you look like, no matter what you can do in the ring and no matter how well you talk on the stick; if the crowd just doesn't care about you, then you're not going to be a "superstar".

A common complaint I've heard at times is that Vince shoves guys down our throats. Well, wrestlers have to be given an opportunity to shine. You can't send a wrestler our a couple of times and expect him to just get over. It didn't happen that way with Hogan, Austin or the Rock, so why should it be expected of anyone else? Since WrestleMania 25, John Morrison, The Miz, Sheamus, Kofi Kingston and Drew McIntyre are some young guys that the WWE has pushed or has at least been building up. With the exception of Drew McIntyre, I think they've been pretty successful overall. On Raw this past Monday, some stuff was started with Jack Swagger, Ted DiBiase and the Hart Dynasty. Several of the Rookies on NXT are getting over pretty well with the fans.

Sometimes it might take longer with some and faster with others. Sometimes, it's just not going to happen at all no matter how much a promoter wants it to. It's not an exact science but there are just instances of which fans will not buy into what you're selling.

There are plenty of options in the WWE to create stars, but it's just if wrestlers are able to accept those pushes and run with them...

Take a look at Dolph Ziggler, he was created by a series of vignettes and skits that allowed him to show his face, he then moved over to smackdown where he recieved a monster push based on his ring work and mic skills before being cut off due to unforseen circumstances (Rey Mysterio pulling his weight and stopping the title change).

The WWE creative comes up with the idea no matter if it works or not Stars still have a chance to shine just look at shelton benjamin who is another prime example of stalled pushes.

When WWE had ECW they also had a chance to give small time stars better exposure and bring them towards the bigger picture allowing them to capture the top midcard title and produce classic matches with the upper midcard.

The exposure is there but it all bows down to fan reaction, character development and in ring ability, if an individual has all three then they will get there chance even if it is stalled time and time again in favour of the next flavour.

No matter what happens the WWE does a great job in nuturing their talent to help establish house hold names, but they have to run with the ball their handed if not the push can easily go to the next guy.

Bringing something that the fans haven't really seen before to the table more often than not. Or bringing back something that they used to see but don't anymore.

Highflyers have the easiest time at it because in this modern WWE where highflying doesn't exist anymore, all a wrestler needs to do is a dive and the fans go crazy. Case in point: Justin Gabriel. He gets the best crowd reaction out of all the NXT Rookies because he does a 450 Splash. It's not even a good 450 splash. But because nobody has done one in a WWE ring in over 5 years he gets massive cheers.

Rob Van Dam was made in one night by unleashing 95% of his move-set on Jeff Hardy in a decent length match. The crowd went absolutely ape over the guy because damn near all of his moves had never been seen before. The wrestlers that debut for the WWE today are using the same recycled movesets, they have almost identical looks, and we're not getting enough diversity and difference. It's why I think Low Ki/Kaval will get massively over as long as he doesn't upset anyone backstage, his moves are massively different to anyone on the roster right now.

I have a theory that a lot of ROH, PWG or other Indie Wrestlers could get massively over if they ha the WWE spotlight shining down on them, a vehicle to deliver them to the millions. Not all of them, don't get me wrong, some are just trash, but there are definitely guys out there who would make a WWE fan's brain melt. The good, safe indie wrestlers are the ones that are inventing the new moves that work their way slowly into the mainstream, and when they finally get there the fans of either TNA or the WWE that see them pop like crazy for them.

So yeah, this isn't my greatest post because I've gotten a little distracted during it, but the point I'm essentially trying to make is that stars are made by being different to make the audience care about them. Kofi Kingston had a unique energy that made the fans connect with him, all the WWE needed to do is push him to make him a star, but they seem to have lost interest in that. Rey Mysterio wears a mask and does the 619. Jeff Hardy painted his face and jumped off things. Ted DiBiase and Cody Rhodes will fail to get over without significant work because they just look and wrestle like every other poor Randy Orton knock-off.

Want to make some stars? Dress them differently, have them talk differently, let them do different moves. Fans have a tough time getting into guys who wrestle 4 minute matches during which they only hit one real move, a finisher that they've seen a hundred times already.

well if vince and creative think their ready they put the superstar in a fued with a big name and see if he can hold his own and also if the crowd just refuse to hate him there's a chance he'll become a big star because of merchandise sales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back