How Different Would TNA Be Without Hogan?

Tequila Dave

Flame on.
Many members of the IWC are quick to criticize Hulk Hogan and the effect he’s had on TNA; other's believe he has taken the company to a new level. I'm not looking to reignite that debate for the 4847th time on these forums (though I'm sure I will), but I am curious to see where you believe TNA would be now if Hogan never joined them. Would the likes of Jeff Hardy, Ric Flair, and Rob Van Dam ever come to TNA? Who do you believe would have been main eventing, "WWE rejects" or TNA originals? What sort of ratings do you think TNA would be bringing in? Really, how different would the product be as a whole?

Jeff Hardy has already been in TNA before from 2004 to 2006. Ric Flair and Rob Van Dam coming to TNA has nothing to do with Hulk Hogan.

Since the last 8 months a "TNA Original" has been the TNA World Heavyweight Champion.

The ratings have been the same with or without Hulk Hogan.

The product would not be any different with or without Hulk Hogan. And TNA has improved much since 2010.

Realistically, I don't think it would be all that much different. Probably no better, but likely no worse either. Sure, he brings name recognition and all that jazz, but this hasn't improved the ratings, the attendance figures, or the product in any tangible fashion. However, I wouldn't be naive enough to suggest things would necessarily be better without him either, as he certainly has had no adverse effect upon things either. TNA is better lately than it has been in a while, but I don't give Hogan much credit for that, as its darkest days were when he first arrived and for a year or so there after. It's better because the young guys are getting a chance to shine, the story lines have been improving, and they are starting to address some of their obvously shortcomings. I think TNA is improving not because of Hogan, but concurrently with him. So I imagine the end result would be about then same either way.

if people don't like something or someone they will find a reason to complain. Hogan is a non-issue in TNA. he is basically an on screen authority figure. what is the harm in having a big name play that role? whether you like him or not, the guy gets a huge reaction every time he comes out.

the only thing i disagree with is getting rid of the six sided ring. i feel like that made TNA stand out from WWE or ROH.

I bet we would have seen a little more x division. I think Joe would be a huge mega face. I also think that they would be in the 30,000's in ppv buys by now. I think tna would be in the 1.4 range and sometimes getting a 1.5. And the biggest thing, THEY WOULD HAVE NEVER MOVED TO MONDAY NIGHTS. Moving to monday nights stunted there growth the worst.

I know everyone likes to find the fault in the company of TNA, and quickly want to jump on one or two guys as if they control the whole show.

Would TNA be different without Hogan? Simple stated yes. I stand by this claim because all I knew about TNA pre-hogan is that was where the WCW defunct went. Well those who WWE wouldn't sign. When Hogan surfaced again joining TNA. I started going back and watching all the old TNA shows I could find and doing a little research. I found that a Jarrett's fail to keep TNA alive, and Dixie's daddy's money was keeping them afloat.

With doing more and adding talent, I would think that Daddy's money is no longer being used. I think TNA is finally in the black and out of the red. TNA is finally moving forward and hogan is more of place holder ( like when Mick Foley as GM of Raw) We all know he is done except him. Hogan was a hose hold name even on those who hated wresting.

I don't know exactly where TNA would be, but for all the people that are saying it would be the same, you're sadly mistaken. There is no doubt in my mind TNA would be a lot different.

Without Hulk I don't think RVD or Ric Flair come into the company. What this means is no Fortune. AJ would still be a main eventer, and Beer Money would probably still be a tag team.

Also without Hulk Immortal would never have formed. That means no heel Jeff Hardy, and no Victory Road incident. Jeff would probably still be into drugs. Maybe not, it's real hard to predict that, but that's my opinion.

I think the X-Division would still be relevant with guys like Kaz, Daniels, Jay Lethal and Hernandez being the staples.

We would still have a six sided ring.

I think the top guys would be Styles, Joe, Anderson, Matt Hardy, Jeff Hardy, Angle, and Pope.

Probably a lot more changes, but that's what I got off the top of my head.

not totally sure but I know we'd likely not have writer David Lagana and Vince Russo would still be there

not totally sure but I know we'd likely not have writer David Lagana and Vince Russo would still be there

probably right which would mean things would probably still be poor. but assuming that they somehow magically left, i think it would be pretty much the same just with Sting in Hogan's position.

There'd be no "TNA iMPACT" to "Impact Wrestling" name change for starters. Hogan always complained that whenever he took meetings to publicize TNA, he'd have to explain he wasn't talking about a strip joint.

We'd still have the six sided ring and a stronger X Division as a result.

They never would've tried moving to Monday nights and would've continued to build a stronger fanbase on Thursday nights. Hogan was all over that move. He had it in his head that it was going to be another Raw vs Nitro situation, when in reality Impact was struggling to beat ECW/NXT in the ratings and continues to because of that boneheaded decision.

Mr Anderson, Jeff Hardy, Rob Van Dam and Ric Flair probably would've stayed away, which would be a godsend as what have any of them actually done in the past two years?

We wouldn't have had the horrendous Immortal angle that ate up a year of airtime. So no endless segments of Hogan, Bischoff or Flair gloating over the rest of the roster like the cat who got the cream.

Bobby Roode would've gone over Kurt Angle at Bound for Glory 2011. Hogan wouldn't have been able to sneak in at the last minute and screw up the finish, bringing about a Roode reign as a FACE world champion.

Basically, Hogan has had a series of "big ideas" that sound great on paper, only to completely blow up in TNA's faces. The less they listen to him, the better off they'll be. He should be strictly on-air talent only, no creative control whatsoever.

Interesting topic. Hard to say though. Contrary to popular belief Hogan do bring something to the table. Name recognition and mainstream media publicity is undoubtedly important to a wrestling promotion like TNA.

The production quality has increased (some credit should go to Bischoff), even if they still are taping/going live inside a shoebox.

The ratings have yet to see an increase. It could, however, be that without Hogan the ratings would have been worse.

So to answer the question, I do think that TNA is better off with Hogan on board. Whether or not he is worth his paycheck is another debate.

How quick some people are to forget 2010.

Rehash: Late in 2009, it's announced that Hulk Hogan is coming to TNA, for January 4th, 2010. Dirtsheetgasm. The phrase "this can only be a good thing for TNA" is coined. The WWE sweats enough to counterprogram with Bret Hart talking to Shawn Michaels. The very same night, Jeff Hardy debuts. Hype was Heavy.

In the space of the next few months, a lot of performers climbed on board. Ric Flair, who had just finished with the Hulkamania tour in Australia, jumped aboard at the same time as Hulk Hogan. RVD cited Hulk Hogan's sales pitch as the direct reason he signed on with TNA. The former ECW performers even came out to join the hypefest and collect beer money.

Production changes were dramatic and immediate. Someone better schooled in television production could probably explain the specifics of it better than I can, but watch an episode of pre-2010 Impact and compare it to what you see now, or even in February 2010.

The presence of Hulk Hogan in TNA/IW changed just about everything for their presentation. Moneywise, it's hard to see where there's been an impact (no pun intended); while the one-time costs related to production improvements are past, they don't appear to be bringing in any more revenue than they were pre-Hogan. Jeff Hardy alone can't sell enough t-shirts to change a company's situation. Ring Ka King has been a plus this past year, but remains a long-term question mark, in terms of how much money can be brought back from it and its long-term viability. Ratings are flat and touring is flat, which indicates merchandising is overall flat. Don't let Eric Bischoff press-release you with something silly- advertisers aren't rushing to his door to sign big contracts for a program that's lost audience over the past year, in a sector of entertainment that doesn't appear headed for growth.

The show is- from the subjective point of my entertainment- better than it has been in my memory. (I still only watch on YouTube.) In the things that matter to a television show, such as how much money it makes for the people who are selling it, it's the same thing in a different box.

I think that Hogan going to TNA has had its obvious strengths & weaknesses to the overall company. Hogan did get TNA more publicity than it has had in quite awhile. The buzz behind he & Bischoff signing was huge and that whole press conference Dixie Carter did with Hogan sold alot of people on Hogan. Hogan no doubt had influences on certain wrestlers going to TNA and/or returning. Jeff Hardy, RVD, and Mr. Anderson were the obvious big names. Of course, you also had the TNA debut of the "Nasty Boyz" and "Sean Morley". Again, good & bad effect.

If TNA hadn't signed Hogan, they'd probably still have the 6-sided ring. Which to me, was a big part of TNA's identity. Certain people, obviously wouldn't be working with TNA if Hogan/Bischoff hadn't signed[Brooke Hogan & Garrett Bischoff, anyone?].

Hulk is a big name who can be a major plus factor for TNA in the right role. The problem is, they haven't really found that role yet.......

It has been my theory for quite some time that if TNA can get out of Hogan's contract they can afford 2 new stars. They could get a MMA-star and an established WWE star. For example, imagine that TNA got rif of Hogan and signed John Morrison and Tito Ortiz/Josh Barnett/Fedor. I would be so happy if that happen.

We wouldn't have had the horrendous Immortal angle that ate up a year of airtime. So no endless segments of Hogan, Bischoff or Flair gloating over the rest of the roster like the cat who got the cream.

But then we'd have never had Flair form Fortune and I thought they were great.

Bobby Roode would've gone over Kurt Angle at Bound for Glory 2011. Hogan wouldn't have been able to sneak in at the last minute and screw up the finish, bringing about a Roode reign as a FACE world champion.

Who says Roode would've even been pushed to get a title shot to begin with? He could've been still tagging with Storm. And far as I'm concerned looking back it turned out better in the end, I don't think Roode's reign would have nearly been as good as a face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back