Honky Tonk Man: Worthy or Not?

Does the Honky Tonk Man deserve to be in the Hall of Fame?

• Yes. Greatest Intercontinental Champion of all time.

• No. It was just the mid-card title.

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheOneBigWill

[This Space for Rent]
HonkyTonkMan.JPG

Roy Wayne Farris (born January 25, 1953), better known by his ring name The Honky Tonk Man, is an American professional wrestler. He is currently appearing for World Wrestling Entertainment, as well as working on the independent circuit. He also has previously worked for World Championship Wrestling. He is best known for his first run with WWE, where he held the Intercontinental Championship for a record 64 weeks. He is the cousin of professional wrestler and color commentator Jerry "The King" Lawler and second uncle to Brian Lawler.

Originally pushed as a face wrestler with an Elvis impersonator gimmick, Honky soon cut a series of promos that aired on the WWE's syndicated programming asking fans for a "vote of confidence." The results came back negative, and it wasn't long before Honky became a cocky heel and took on Jimmy "Mouth of the South" Hart as his manager. Hart was billed as "The Colonel" for Honky's matches, a reference to Col. Tom Parker.

Honky's first major feud came against Jake "the Snake" Roberts, who was in the midst of a face turn. The feud intensified when Honky attacked Roberts on his talk show set, The Snake Pit. According to Roberts, Farris was supposed to hit him with a gimmicked balsa wood guitar. Roberts believes Farris accidentally grabbed a real, non-gimmicked guitar and smashed it across Roberts' back, injuring him, and starting him on his dependence of prescription pain medication. However in a recent interview for World Wrestling Insanity, the Honky Tonk Man disputed Roberts' assertion saying "That's not true and, in fact I attribute most of that to Mick Foley, who wrote about it in his book, and Jake, who lied about it." One of the feud's better-known moments came at WrestleMania III, where Honky grabbed the ring ropes to score a tainted win; afterward, Roberts cleared the ring of Honky before he and Alice Cooper attacked Hart with Roberts' python, Damien.

During a television taping on June 2, 1987 in Buffalo, New York, Honky replaced an absent Butch Reed in upsetting Ricky "the Dragon" Steamboat and winning the WWE Intercontinental Championship; Honky reversed Steamboat's inside cradle and grabbed onto the bottom ropes for extra leverage to get the pin. One of the first wrestlers to congratulate Honky on the win was a man who at the time was finishing a fierce feud with Steamboat, but would go on to be one of Honky's most bitter rivals: Randy "Macho Man" Savage.

Honky quickly adopted a cowardly heel persona, often getting himself counted out or disqualified on purpose against challengers such as Steamboat, Billy Jack Haynes, Bruno Sammartino, and George "The Animal" Steele, as titles cannot be lost by these methods. Also during this time, Honky began using the entrance theme, "Cool, Cocky, Bad," a 50s-styled, narcissistic-themed song performed by Farris and included on Piledriver - The Wrestling Album 2, the WWF's second album of wrestling themes.

By September 1987, Savage was in the midst of a face turn and began challenging Honky for the Intercontinental title (after Honky had made comments about himself being "the greatest Intercontinental champion of all time" and disparaging comments about former champions, particularly Savage). Although they had several matches beforehand — they had also met in 1986, when the then-heel Savage was champion and challenged by the face Honky — the first Savage-Honky match to air on national television was on the October 3, 1987 edition of Saturday Night's Main Event, which was taped on September 23 in Hershey, Pennsylvania. During that match, Savage nearly defeated Honky until Honky's allies, the Hart Foundation (who had interfered throughout the match), ran into the ring and brutally attacked Savage, getting Honky disqualified. Savage's valet, Miss Elizabeth, attempted to stop the carnage but Honky shoved her down and she fled to the locker room; meanwhile, Honky completed his attempt to break his guitar over Savage's head. Shortly thereafter, Elizabeth returned with Savage's former rival, Hulk Hogan, who aided Savage in running off the heels (leading to the formation of The Mega Powers).

Honky continued his bitter feud against Savage. Frequently, Honky would make advances toward Elizabeth — including one such incident at the 1987 Slammy Awards — to agitate his challenger. Honky retained the title in matches with Savage and Brutus "the Barber" Beefcake, Honky's next major rival.

During the Beefcake-Honky feud - which began at WrestleMania IV and continued during the spring and summer of 1988 - Honky vowed not to let Beefcake cut his ducktail hair, something Beefcake often said he would do in promos. In their matches, Honky was often seconded by a mysterious woman named Peggy Sue; while Sherri Martel sometimes played the role, more often than not, "Peggy Sue" was Hart dressed in drag. Beefcake countered with a "woman" of his own: "Georgina" (Steele in drag).

At the inaugural SummerSlam, The Ultimate Warrior needed just 29 seconds to pin Honky to claim the Intercontinental Championship. Honky had been scheduled to face Beefcake for the title at SummerSlam, but Beefcake fell victim to "Outlaw" Ron Bass' sneak attack at a WWE Superstars of Wrestling taping (aired the weekend before the event). Honky, now thinking he was without an opponent, brazenly issued an open challenge to any wrestler for the title. His confidence disappeared when the Ultimate Warrior's entrance music began to play.

Honky had been the champion for one year, two months and 27 days, a record that still stands as of 2008. Honky was unsuccessful in his bid to reclaim the title.

In 1989, Honky began a feud against "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes, but came up short. His last major push came in late 1989 and 1990, when he and Greg Valentine wrestled as the tag team Rhythm and Blues, competing against such teams as the Hart Foundation and The Legion of Doom. Honky wrapped up his WWE career with a stint as a pro-heel color commentator alongside Vince McMahon and Roddy Piper on Superstars of Wrestling.

In 1994, Honky was working for World Championship Wrestling and was challenging Johnny B. Badd for the WCW World Television Championship when he left due to a dispute with management. In his book "Controversy Creates Cash", Eric Bischoff stated that his favorite firing was that of the Honky Tonk Man. Honky has responded by saying that it was an honor as Bischoff had fired a number of people while in WCW.

After a brief stint in the American Wrestling Federation, Honky resurfaced in the WWE in 1997 as a color commentator on RAW is WAR and then as the manager of Billy Gunn, who had started a singles run. Under Honky's tutelage, Gunn became known as "Rockabilly," which was a short-lived and unsuccessful gimmick. Honky then made an appearance in the 1998 Royal Rumble event.

Since then, the Honky Tonk Man has made appearances on and off, becoming a random number in the 2001 Royal Rumble, as well as the most recent storyline with Santino Marella trying to unseat Honky Tonk Man from his longest Intercontinental reign in company history. His list of accomplishments and Championships (according to Wiki) are as follows:

All Pro Wrestling
APW Universal Heavyweight Championship (1 time)

Mid-Eastern Wrestling Federation
MEWF Heavyweight Championship (1 time)

NWA Mid-America | Continental Wrestling Association
AWA Southern Tag Team Championship (4 times) - with Larry Latham (3) and Tojo Yamamoto (1)
NWA Mid-America Tag Team Championship (3 times) - with Larry Latham

Northern States Wrestling Alliance
NSWA Tag Team Championship (1 time) - with Greg Valentine

Southeastern Championship Wrestling
NWA Alabama Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
NWA Southeastern Heavyweight Championship (Northern Division) (1 time)
NWA Southeast Tag Team Championship (1 time) - with Ron Starr
NWA Southeastern United States Junior Heavyweight Championship (1 time)

Stampede Wrestling
International Tag Team Championship (3 times) - with Ron Starr (2) and The Cuban Assassin (1)
Stampede North American Heavyweight Championship (1 time)

World Wrestling Council
WWC Caribbean Heavyweight Championship (1 time)

World Wrestling Federation
WWF Intercontinental Championship (1 time) (Longest Reign)

XJAM Pro Wrestling
XJAM Championship (1 time, current)

Honky Tonk Man: Without a doubt, this is one man that has somehow eluded joining the W.W.E. Hall of Fame, and I can't for the life of me figure out how or why. He is without a doubt one of, if not the, greatest Intercontinental Champion in company history. He's held the title for well over a year and while that is a record that in today's company may very well never be broken, even back in the late 80's it was an accomplishment and a feat to see.

There wasn't much else Honky Tonk Man did with his career, as ultimately his Tag Team with Greg Valentine failed, and he was never considered a top contender for the Heavyweight Championship. But the fact is, not always do you need to be a World Champion contender, to be a Hall of Fame possibility. That has never been more the case than it is here, as once again this is the individual who still to this day, and likely for quite some time to come, holds the longest Intercontinental Championship reign. Because of that, and that alone, I believe firmly he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. What are your thoughts and opinions on the Honky Tonk Man being a Hall of Fame inductee? Worthy or Not?

I would say no. He is the epitome of the joke champion. He was a comedy jobber that got the IC title because Steamboat asked for a vacation and there was no one else to give it to, then there was still no one to take it from him until Warrior came along. After that, he did nothing, and I mean nothing at all of note. Once he lost the IC belt, HTM was about as valuable as Coachman is to ESPN. He had one long run where he was a comedy character, and that's about it. If he gets in, Doink gets in.

Honky held a mid-card belt for a long time. But only because Steamboat wanted to spend time with his family, and Honky refused to drop the belt to Macho. Nothing stands out about the reign, or the rest of his career for that matter, so I don't see why he should go in.

The longest IC champion of all time sure sounds like enough of a qualification if you ask me. So what if he was a joke champion, he still didn't lose the belt did he. So he's obviously a very smart joke champion.

Cyber Sunday proved that he's still over and people still remember him. I'd have the Rockabilly induct him.

I fail to see how he was a bad champion, Butch Reed sounds like a horrible choice in retrospect.

i agree w/ y2jake. who cares if honky only got the belt because steamboat had to take a leave of absence. that doesn't mean anything. the point is, is that honkytonkman is the longest reigning champion, and is still remembered. he was a great entertainer. a joke champion? try kevin nash's 1995 reign.

Honky Tonk Man is a Hall of Famer. Besides the IC title run, that some people want to use to discredit him, he had a decent run with WWF/E. Being the catalyst for the Mega Powers was pretty important to the grand scheme of wrestling at the time, and he worked a great character. The fans still love him, and he still is the motivation for so many heels today.

On a side note, I met HTM not too long ago, and at a show, he plays the character up no matter where he is. This is was outside the show, about 20 minutes before it was supposed to start, and he was in character.

I'm honestly surprised Honky isn't in the HOF already. Just because he got the belt only because he was a last minute choice, doesn't mean it wasn't a good reign. He got people to hate him, whether or not you a comedic heel or not that's what is important. Longest reigning IC champion in history, whether or not he punked out of most of his matches aren't important. Are Edges reigns as world champ any less worthy because he cheated to get most of them, and then cheated to retain?

That's not the point though. Honky was a great heel, had a great gimmick and was pretty dang successful. He's remembered by most of the fans still, and is surely HOF worthy.

he should be in the fall of shit he was crap he couldnt dance he couldnt wrestle all he could do is stink the fucking thing out the arse wipe. my dick can knock him out

I think, yeah, he does deserve it.

He is the longest reigning IC champion, at a time when it meant something.
It was him who Warrior beat to propel himself up to being a great.
He had a big influence in the Meag Powers storyline ( one of the biggest ever)
He's still pretty over (Cyber Sunday proved that)

I hope Jake was joking about having Rockabilly induct him :lmao: it would obviously go down to Jerry Lawler.

I think Honky will make the HOF someday.
Not only did he have the IC belt forever,He made the wwe alot of money
people all over wanted to see him lose the belt,and in the end its all about THE MONEY

I firmly believe that the honky tonk man deserve a spot in the hall of fame. Without a doubt he is the greatest intercontential champion ever and has been entertaining fans for years with his humor. If I was the wwe, I would induct him in 2010

He'll make it, but I don't think he deserves it. I know people keep touting his year + reign as IC Champion and it looks impressive on the surface but let's just look at it a little closer. Much of his competition was made up of guys like Billy Jack Haynes, George The Animal Steele and Brutus Beefecake. Now, on occassion, he would face some major competition like the Macho Man. However, in most of his matches, he often allowed himself to be counted out or got himself disqualified. I'd hardly call that the mark of a true champion. Give me a quality reign of 3 months with a title over a shitty one that lasts more than a year anytime.

And, of course, how can we look over the fact that he lost the title to the Ultimate Warrior at the first SummerSlam in roughly 30 seconds? It was a shit reign by a shit champion. But, of course he'll wind up getting in. If they'll let in Koko B. Ware and George Steele, they'll let damn near anyone in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back