Hogan's "Impact" on TNA/Impact Wrestling

mrhexum

Pre-Show Stalwart
I'd like to start this (even though you need not read my ramble to simply answer the question in the thread title) by saying two things....

First, I only started watching (and honestly came to know about) TNA since it got it's deal with Spike. I will say, I was hooked, did some digging and loved it, they had THE NWA title, and a lot of cool things going on, and I really thought they could and rooted for them to step up and give WWE a run for their money.

Second, I was a "Hulkamaniac" ... hell, still kinda root for the guy, biggest name in wrestling. So, this is not a bash Hogan or TNA post...

But, As much as I can't blame TNA for bringing Hogan in, especially if you're trying to get into the monday night game (yeh WCW, but we're not going there) I can't help but feel that since Hogan (not throwing in Bischoff or Russo here) came to TNA, it has lost that bit of magic I felt it had.

So, now that my 2 cents are spent... what do you guys think?

Was TNA better before/without Hogan?
Still the same?
Better?
Worse?

Once again, thanks for the read and time, look forward to hearing from you.

I find very little has really changed, I'm not one for Hogan ever getting back in the ring, nor do I enjoy the extended Hulk back-stage or in-ring segments, but I've got no objection to the guy as a figurehead. Same with Bischoff, actually, I'm a big fan of Bischoff as an on-air boss character.

Basically, the way I see it, TNA took a bit of a dive shortly after Hogan arrived, but they seem to have spent the last 6 months clawing their way back and I'm actually quite satisfied with the product at the mo. Hopefully if storylines continue as they should we could see further improvement over the coming months.

Oh, how I feel about Hulk Hogan should be no secret on these boards. I eagerly await the day that I can no longer see Hulk + Eric on Thursday nights.

Hulk Hogan was a great wrestler. In the 1980's. Since then, he's been a politician. There's value in the Hulk Hogan brand, but Hulk Hogan the performer sucks up the momentum of people around him and uses it to further himself; and he just isn't that interesting. He's cut the same promo for the past thirty years, and has this idea that in his 50's, he's still the guy people want to see more than anyone else. The business has moved on from Hulk Hogan, and he just can't seem to accept that his role is no longer at the front of the company.

I'm not saying TNA/IW has no use for Hulk Hogan. Put his face on your posters. He's still got a whole hell of a lot of name recognition. Have him be part of your executive team that meets with merchandisers, gaming company reps, so on and so forth- even people who have never followed professional wrestling understand that Hogan is a Big Shit in professional wrestling. But the days of Hulk Hogan being one of the largest forces for a company are long over.

TNA/IW has gotten a lot better recently, and I feel they'll get even better when Hulk Hogan isn't taking up segment time that could be used on someone who's a superstar today.

i have to agree with Rayne 100% on this one. ".....I feel they'll get even better when Hulk Hogan isn't taking up segment time that could be used on someone who's a superstar today." I get so sick and tired of seeing Hogan on every other segment. Build the show around "Immortal" being the heel stable and in control blah blah blah..fine and dandy but no way should that mean "give hulkster as much air time as he desires."
If Hulk would give up some tv time we could get another match in..maybe two!! I love TNA/IW whatever we're supposed to call it and i hope they get more exposure and people start to like the product but for God sakes get the fuck off the screen hogan.

My feelings on Hogan are pretty similar to Rayne's overall. I do think that TNA could have use for Hulk Hogan behind the scenes in some sort of management or company executive role. Hulk Hogan does have a good deal of name recognition, his name and what he's meant to wrestling's past simply can't be taken away from him. Name recognition is always a tool that can be put to use.

However, I'm just tired of seeing the guy. Whenever Hulk Hogan is on TNA television, everything that takes place that has any real relevance is woven around him. He's the centerpiece of TNA, he's really been the overall center of TNA since he made his debut and he really shouldn't be. He generally doesn't draw big ratings for the show. Now, I will acknowledge that the segment with Hogan, Bischoff, Foley & the X Division guys this past Thursday drew the secong highest quarter hour rating that TNA has had in 2011 but that's the exception rather than the rule. His days of being able to wrestle without humiliating himself are gone and I think that TNA putting focus on him & making him generally the biggest star in the company has hurt them in the long run.

This is what has always perplexed me..............when did Terry Bollea ever become this "great wrestling mind"?

They say those who can't do.....coach, and those who can do....have nothing else to offer but what they've done. Look at Michael Jordan. The greatest to ever live; perhaps one of the shitty executives to ever operate (example: The Kwame Brown experiment).

Hulk Hogan the character was legendary. Dare I say, The Godfather of wrestling and 50%of the reason wrestling is what it is today (the other 50% going to VKM). But that DOES NOT mean he has a mind to develop ANYTHING! I do not recall Paul Heyman, Eric Biscoff, or Vince Russo ever being full time wrestlers except for a gimiick match here or there. THEY, were the paramount figures when it came to CREATION in wrestling history.

Terry Bollea is a selfish, untrustworthy, rapidly aging adolecent, who would sell his own mother for a dollar.

So the point I am laboring to make is TNA is worse off with him because his NAME brings TNA 3 steps forward..........but his liability and lack of anything creatively other than himself, brings them 5 steps back.

A year and half ago I hoped when Hogan came to TNA, I hoped that it would be awesome. I hoped that he would bring some sort of "major league" feelings to the show and get some great names to come in- some older guys who could work with the younger guys and be fun for the old school fans. I hoped this because I could not stand to watch a TNA program.

Fast Fwd to now. Still cant stand to watch the program. I find it boring and the wrestlers to be bland. They have some guys from WWE who were ok stars there but never huge draws - as TNA ratings and house shows have proven. Angle is a great worker but come on- the guys no Austin or Rock or Hogan etc.. Hogan really didn't bring anything interesting to the table. Hogan may or may not be a great wrestling mind. Bischoff probably does have a great mind for the biz and for many areas of entertainment. Thats why I have trouble undrestanding why these guys dont go out and recruit guys that have great looks and hopefully charisma. If you look like AJ styles or Somoa Joe and your the top guys of a company how are non wrestling fans supposed to get interested in the product. What kid really wants a pic of Samoa Joe on his wall. I know that Hogan and Bishoff know this.

Look at the ratings, the ratings have been the same since hogan went to TNA. They thought Hogan was going to bring a lot of ratings, but they are wrong. It has not improve. I still remember January 4,2010. Hogan has not brought anything to the table to bring up the ratings. TNA has gotten worst. All of the sudden this guy goes back to wrestling in a tag match and what happen, continue to drag the ratings down. TNA would be better off without hogan. All of the sudden he might get back in the ring again to face Sting. As i remember years ago, these two did not have a good match at all and what makes them think they gonna have a better match this time, its not going to happen.

I think he's made it worse. While he did give them lots of publicity, the debut(jan 3) was a horrible one. Nearly every week, they keep dwelling on him being a cancer and teasing a match with him(which would be horrible). The big things they hype have been complete letdowns. As for Bischoff, hes never had an original idea. Yeah, I watched Nitro, but when you read what the nwo really was, it was misleading(he ripped off a japanese promotion, and took ex wwf main eventers, and did a very misleading "wwf taking over wcw" angle). When hogan signed, he was guaranteeing that he'd put Impact on the map and would get 2.0 ratings. Theyre barely getting 1.3's on a good day.

I dont think Hogan has made much of a difference, he still listens to Russo for some reason and completely ignores Tommy Dreamer when he contradicts Russo about how wrestling should be construed. That in itself is a mistake because everyone of any worth in the business says that dreamer is the big up and coming creative mind from what I am hearing.

I think the changes that I have seen that are improvements are all Eric Bischoff, all production. And when Bischoff was promoted to Executive Producer the production got even better. Unfortunately for IMPACT however people watch for the product itself, not the production.

So far over the last 12 months there has been a lot of Front Office turnover in TNA not only with Bischoff taking over production and Hogan overseeing creative but with the release of Knockouts mastermind Dutch Mantell, the resignation of the CFO (Which was taken over by the ELDER Miss Carter), and the firing of Terry Taylor. I dont think anything anyone does will make a difference until the Lawsuits and Front Office Turnover ends.

I would however like to see the Old Ring return. With it returning at Destination X I think that might be a test drive to see how people react to that. Hogan is just a name, unless they settle down and find their direction in the next 12 months I don't see any improvement.

This is what has always perplexed me..............when did Terry Bollea ever become this "great wrestling mind"?

They say those who can't do.....coach, and those who can do....have nothing else to offer but what they've done. Look at Michael Jordan. The greatest to ever live; perhaps one of the shitty executives to ever operate (example: The Kwame Brown experiment).

He really hasn't proven he can be a great wrestling mind, personally speaking I myself despite being a Hogan fan am very jaded thus far on his TNA stint, I don't think it's all bad though. I've been entertained from time to time by his appearances on TNA programming, however it's debatable as to how much power he REALLY has. I mean we got this whole power struggle storyline going on right now, but behind the scenes who knows what the heck is really going on.

Hulk Hogan the character was legendary. Dare I say, The Godfather of wrestling and 50%of the reason wrestling is what it is today (the other 50% going to VKM). But that DOES NOT mean he has a mind to develop ANYTHING! I do not recall Paul Heyman, Eric Biscoff, or Vince Russo ever being full time wrestlers except for a gimiick match here or there. THEY, were the paramount figures when it came to CREATION in wrestling history.

Terry Bollea is a selfish, untrustworthy, rapidly aging adolecent, who would sell his own mother for a dollar.

So the point I am laboring to make is TNA is worse off with him because his NAME brings TNA 3 steps forward..........but his liability and lack of anything creatively other than himself, brings them 5 steps back.

I don't know Terry Bollea personally, so I can't make that judgment, you might be right or you might not be on what he's really like behind the scenes. It's a good possibility that what you said about Terry Bollea the portrayer of the Hulk Hogan character could be true, but I've also a good mind that there would be a very short list of nominees for humanitarian of the year in the wrestling business.

I personally don't think TNA is any worse with him though, they're still maintaining some viewers, to be honest where TNA is at right now is reminding me of the early days of Monday Night RAW. The only thing is now that with the internet results get spoiled a lot easier and quicker. My misgivings is Hogan playing the Mr. McMahon-esque character on air. It worked back in the Attitude era but that time has passed us.

I really don't have the answer for what I think could benefit the TNA product, however for what it's worth they could be doing a lot worse, I am not going to solely attribute that to Hulk Hogan in fact if Hulk Hogan was still in his prime, I'd like to hope they'd be doing better, but with all things considered, there's only so much you can expect from a guy pushing 60, sure he's overhyped things at times, but that's the nature of the wrestling business, you can't really tell between kayfabe and reality with these folks.

I wish TNA would be on par with WWE ratings wise but I gotta be realistic it's a little easier said than done, but to be fair to TNA, they've lasted almost a decade thus far and they've already surpassed Paul Heyman's version of ECW as far as their existence goes.

Plus you have to look at the wrestling business now, WWE's "best" ratings sometimes are less than what WCW's numbers were when WWF turned things around in the ratings war. Wrestling itself is nowhere near its level of viewership as it was over a decade ago.

With the lull in wrestling ratings in general, Hogan's age and TNA's relative youth as an organization when compared to WWE I feel play a factor on Hogan's impact or lack thereof in the organization. Hogan's scruples as an individual is not something I would attribute to any of TNA's successes or failures.

Once upon a time, I also believed Hulk Hogan should have a "backstage" role. Booking, writing, whatever. Now, I feel stupid.

Hogan still has value, somewhat. His name, and his face. Outside of that, what do you get?

A backstage role? Why? When has Hulk Hogan ever given any indication that he should be running, or helping to run, a wrestling company? When has he booked a show that wasn't shit? Sorry, but he has literally no value backstage.

His name is still somewhat relevant, so if there's a role for him, it's on screen. He shouldn't have any backstage power. None at all. I read this from time to time, and it still makes me scratch my head in confusion.

Matt Millen was a great football player. He knows the game of football. Hell, he might have made a great coach. Once he stepped foot into the front office, it all fell apart. If Hulk Hogan has ever done anything remotely better than what Millen did for the Detroit Lions, please, let me know.

In closing, if Hogan is still valuable, and I'm not sure he is, that value is in his character/name. Valuable in terms of running a wrestling promotion -- no.

Oh, how I feel about Hulk Hogan should be no secret on these boards. I eagerly await the day that I can no longer see Hulk + Eric on Thursday nights.

Hulk Hogan was a great wrestler. In the 1980's. Since then, he's been a politician. There's value in the Hulk Hogan brand, but Hulk Hogan the performer sucks up the momentum of people around him and uses it to further himself; and he just isn't that interesting. He's cut the same promo for the past thirty years, and has this idea that in his 50's, he's still the guy people want to see more than anyone else. The business has moved on from Hulk Hogan, and he just can't seem to accept that his role is no longer at the front of the company.

I'm not saying TNA/IW has no use for Hulk Hogan. Put his face on your posters. He's still got a whole hell of a lot of name recognition. Have him be part of your executive team that meets with merchandisers, gaming company reps, so on and so forth- even people who have never followed professional wrestling understand that Hogan is a Big Shit in professional wrestling. But the days of Hulk Hogan being one of the largest forces for a company are long over.

TNA/IW has gotten a lot better recently, and I feel they'll get even better when Hulk Hogan isn't taking up segment time that could be used on someone who's a superstar today.

I have to agree with you completely on this. No question that his best days are far behind him now and he's still a name brand for any company. (just see the commercials he does for other brands right now.)

As to the impact he's had since joining TNA I do not believe he's been successful. In fact, I'd actually say his signing has overall, been a failure for the company. Or, if you like, he's not been able to provide the kind of bump I'm sure they were hoping for with his signing.

The only things Hogan brought to TNA of any relevance is Jeff Hardy and Rob Van Dam and look how well Hardy worked out.

Exactly right and now Van Dam is essentially putting others over at his own expense. For Van Dam, I'm starting to wonder if it's just about getting a check versus actually achieving something with his career. With guys like Angle it at least appears he's aiming for higher ground in some fashion. With Van Dam, it appears to me anyway, that the weed has taken hold.

The only things Hogan brought to TNA of any relevance is Jeff Hardy and Rob Van Dam and look how well Hardy worked out.

No complaints about The Whole F'n Show though, I been itching to see RVD back in the ring for ages before Hogan showed up. Hell, if Hardy could pull his head out of his drug-addled sphincter he too could yet prove to be a good signing. I know, I know, so far all evidence points to the contrary, but I do like the little spot-monkey, plus I'm ever the optimist.

I was really excited when I heard Hulk Hogan was coming to TNA, but it's become increasingly clear after a year and a half of changes that he didn't like a damn thing about the company.

He did away with the name, the six sided ring, the originals don't get nearly the focus they should and every show seems to consist of multiple Hogan/Bischoff/Flair segments as if WCW never went under.

I know TNA wasn't classic before him either, but I can't help but notice we went from epic main events featuring AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels and Samoa Joe to shambolic drug addled catastrophic screwjobs featuring Jeff Hardy.

Exactly right and now Van Dam is essentially putting others over at his own expense. For Van Dam, I'm starting to wonder if it's just about getting a check versus actually achieving something with his career. With guys like Angle it at least appears he's aiming for higher ground in some fashion. With Van Dam, it appears to me anyway, that the weed has taken hold.

Weed doesnt take hold, it has zero addicting properties whatsoever and is not damaging to your body. Alcohol and smoking are worse than pot. The only way pot is dangerous is if used irresponsibly. So no, pot hasnt taken hold of him.

Im not 100% sure on what's been Hogan and what's been Bischoff or someone else, but I like the change to the 4-sided ring and I really like the change to Impact Wrestling rather than TNA. What I don't like?

Hogan always has to come out and have a 10 minute promo on god knows what on a weekly basis. Last weeks promo was the epitome of that, it was just terribly boring. We could be having wrestling, but no, we have to get the latest update from Hogan and Immortal. Take Anderson out of the equation with his tweener/asshole character, and Hogan is the #1 heel in this company at 57 years old. That's pretty bad. Not to mention the constant backstage segments with Hogan and Bischoff that are also usually pretty pointless.

I hope for that kind of stuff to be cut down, but seeing Hogan's ego is in the way, probably not.

Weed doesnt take hold, it has zero addicting properties whatsoever and is not damaging to your body. Alcohol and smoking are worse than pot. The only way pot is dangerous is if used irresponsibly. So no, pot hasnt taken hold of him.

Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I've seen firsthand the damage it can do.

Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I've seen firsthand the damage it can do.

Well it could depend on the person. People can smoke weed twice a day and it wouldn't be a problem, but someone could smoke weed only once and be addicted. Take RVD for instance, we all know he smokes weed but he always show up on PPV willing and able to compete.

Anyways now back on topic, Hogan can only do so much. He can't wrestle because of his back, so he does promos. Are his promos too long? Maybe, but still i like them and he is one of the reasons i watch Impact Wrestling every week. The other reason is Winter and Velvet-Sky. The things i would do to those ladies, i can't say them on this forums;).

"Survey says, One more for the good guys!!!" - Scott Hall

And I've seen what it doesnt do. I've also done extensive research on it's chemical makeup in it's purest form as well as the physical effects on the body. Unless someone is a junkie and forces themselves into being one, and likes being one then it will not cause you any harm. It's when you start mixing it, decide that rather than using it responsibly you want to do it all the time, and things of that nature that it hurts you. Pure Cannibus only slows the heart rate and relaxes the body. It also has healing agents for cancer, anxiety, asthma, and tumors.

And I've seen what it doesnt do. I've also done extensive research on it's chemical makeup in it's purest form as well as the physical effects on the body. Unless someone is a junkie and forces themselves into being one, and likes being one then it will not cause you any harm. It's when you start mixing it, decide that rather than using it responsibly you want to do it all the time, and things of that nature that it hurts you. Pure Cannibus only slows the heart rate and relaxes the body. It also has healing agents for cancer, anxiety, asthma, and tumors.

I'm neither a scientist nor a doctor. I only know what I've seen of its effects on people. None of it good. I'm not here to carry on a political debate about its alleged benefits. If people want it legalized, let them make their case thru the proper channels. FAct is, TNA has a talent who supports such and I think that is bad for their image.

Well it could depend on the person. People can smoke weed twice a day and it wouldn't be a problem, but someone could smoke weed only once and be addicted. Take RVD for instance, we all know he smokes weed but he always show up on PPV willing and able to compete.

Anyways now back on topic, Hogan can only do so much. He can't wrestle because of his back, so he does promos. Are his promos too long? Maybe, but still i like them and he is one of the reasons i watch Impact Wrestling every week. The other reason is Winter and Velvet-Sky. The things i would do to those ladies, i can't say them on this forums;).

Yea, Hogan said in an interview with that guy doing the "Mouth Versus" or whatever that he was stupid because he chose the Leg Drop as a finisher and the years of jumping on his butt curved his tailbone and compressed his spine. He cant do a leg drop anymore.

I think Hogan should stay back stage and work. The problem is as I said before the company is in transition, a front office turnover due to lawsuits and such that may claim more personnel before the year is out. It's weathering the storm right now.

On the issue of Hogan, I just think he's outlived his usefullness. I loved his schtick back in the day. Even liked the Hollywood Hogan character. But to me he thinks he's still the reason for success in the business and that's just no longer true. He's long since passed his prime and it's painful to watch him hobble out to the ring just to cut some silly promo talking about 'the network', Mick Foley, or who the man is. Yeah Hulkie we get it. Back in the day you were a big deal. You aren't anymore. But since he and Bischoff are joined at the hip, I doubt we'll see anything much different going forward.

As for Winter/Sky, I get what you're saying. But I see Winter as a much better wrestler than Sky. I keep hoping to see improvement in Sky's in-ring technique, but I'm no longer sure she's capable. Maybe she's not putting in the time off camera, who knows? But her results in the ring are, at times, atrocious. And to me, they've wasted the talent of Angelina Love thru all of this, who I also see as a good wrestler. Boy when I think of the talent they've lost over the last 2 or 3 years in the ladies division, no wonder it's suffering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back