Has John Cena surpassed The Rock?

That N Word

Actively evolving
John Cena has been in the WWE for the better part of 2 decades and has been on the Main Roster for 15 Years next year. John Cena was originally a guy that most would've thought would have only been a jobber. Cena was | | this closed to being released back in 2002. However, Cena showed something the WWE liked at a SmackDown Halloween Party.

What started out as another example of Vince odd love of comedy characters turned into the hottest rising star besides Batista and Randy Orton over on Raw. John Cena would go on to beat JBL for the WWE Championship at WrestleMania 21 and was the most over Champion since Stone Cold at that time. Cena's character would eventually evolve into the John Cena we all know and most of us love and most people hate. Whether you like him or not. All of us for the most part, respect the legend he has become.

John Cena has carried the WWE on his back for the last 11 Years as "The Face That Runs The PlaPlace." Over the last year or so, we have witness John Cena shift from the resident Standard Bearer to the resident Legend, The Top Guy to Part-Timer. Cena is a 15x World Champion,5x United States Champion,5x Tag Team Champion,2x Royal Rumble Winner,Money In The Bank Winner. Cena has done everything aside from win the Intercontinental Championship, and King Of The Ring. And has beaten the biggest names from his era.

Question is...Has he surpassed The Rock as a bigger legend in the industry? I say Yes. A lot of The Rock's legend comes from his Hollywood Career (which in hindsight has nothing to do with his WWE Career.) And just for a bonus question...Has he Surpassed Stone Cold? Answer to that question for Me..is No. Not yet.

I don't care what smarks in the iwc say, cena is the don now and always puts on stellar matches. The U.S. open challenge was a breath of fresh air last year. The guy is legit.

and yeah he's better than the rock

Not better than scsa, that's very hard to beat!!

I don't understand the question. Are you going by who is more recognized globally or who won more belts? If we're going by who did the most in the pro wrestling bubble of course Cena, Triple H, and Taker are at the top of the list.
But WWE has always prided themselves for being above showbizz above wrestling and the Rock epitomizes everything they've always wanted to be.
If you only care about what's happened in the pro wrestling bubble, that's on you. But Rock's unmatched crossover success isn't discounted just because you say so.

To answer your question. Hell no. Cena has not surpassed the rock or austin.

The rock and austin are in a way different league than cena.

Cena can't fill rocks, hogans or austin shoes.

The only reason cena is big and recognizable in this era is bc wrestling right now is on a big decline. Only reason.

Stone cold and rock done way more in the wrestling business than cena ever could. That's fact

Cena is the closest thing to a mega star since the days of Hogan, Warrior, Austin and Rock but he still doesn't come no where close to their popularity cult following.

Darkshadow, that's not fact, it's your opinion. Cena, love him or hate him, has carried wwf for over a decade. Austin only lasted about 3 years and rock fucked off to make films. Even taker only shows up a few times a year, and brock has been showed to be juiced (fair play, he's shagging Sable). John Cena is the man right now, it's not even an argument. No-one comes close

Only lasted three years, huh? How about the most entertaining and successful three year to four year period in WWE history ('98-'01)?!? I would take three years of Austin's and Rock's years over three of Cena's any day. And remember Cena has the benefit of being the "only game in town" for his entire run while Austin and Rock went up against WCW and the popular NWO. Also, Cena never had anyone to really challenge his "spot" he was going to be "the guy" no matter what, similar to Hogan in the '80's.

Austin and Rock had a rivalry similar to Ali/Frazier in terms of both vying to be the No. 1 babyface in the company. Oh yeah, you also had a guy named Triple H who was trying to carve out his spot in the company as well. The undertaker, Kane, and Mankind were also all on their primes during that time but it's pretty safe to say that was between Austin and Rock as to who owned that era. Like I said, the most successful era in WWE history.

As far as "legendary" status? If you only count wins and losses sure Cena surpasses Rock but the business is not about wins and losses. It's not even about how many championships you've won it's about transcending the business. Like what Hogan did the '80's taking pro wrestling national and what Austin and Rock did the late' 90's in bringing WWE back from the brink of bankruptcy to acquiring it's rival WCW. There is a reason why he gets the response he gets when he comes back from a PRO WRESTLING crowd. Because he is a legend and demands that respect. Rock was a legend in pro wrestling before going to Hollywood and conquering that.

The Rock is the GOAT. Austin is not above the Rock. The Rock is the biggest star that has ever come from wrestling. During his full-time years he broke the record for most houses over 10,000 in 99, then broke his own record in 2000, as the lead babyface during WWE's most profitable year. Then when he came back and main evented with Cena those were 2 of the top 5 most successful Wrestlemania's ever.

Personally I think both Rock and Cena are over Austin (even though Austin was incredibly hot it wasn't for that long and Rock surpassed him during his own era IMO) Cena was a good level of hot for a very long burning flame and he's only gotten better the longer he's been around.

Cena has surpassed Austin, he has not surpassed The Rock because The Rock is the greatest of all time. For his era though, John Cena is The Best Ever

Not even close, to be honest.

Have you been watching Total Divas at all where Nikki Bella often says that “John Cena wants to be the next Rock”? The fact of the matter is that The Rock doesn't want to be the next John Cena, does he? It speaks volumes when one guy is the measuring stick for the next. And that's what this comes down to, more than anything. John Cena knows, perhaps better than anyone, the impact that The Rock has had on the wrestling business and the wider entertainment industry. Cena's mission, over the last few years, has been to try and replicate that and he hasn't even really come close.

When the sun sets on Cena's wrestling career, then perhaps he will go on to be known as one of the biggest break out stars from the world of wrestling because he certainly has the potential. But right now he is trying too hard to balance both and he isn;t really managing either at this point in time.

Fuck that mate. i don't even like cena much but he's had more longevity than Rock, Austin, Bret, Michaels, Lesnar, Razor, Goldberg, even Taker. Can't take that away from him man

If we are talking about most well known and most liked I would say theres no question the Rock is in a incomparable league to John Cena, I think I would struggle to find any non wrestling fans who has ever heard of John Cena compared to those who has heard of the Rock, If we are talking longevity and dedication then yes Cena wins but if Cena headlines a RAW show and only gets like a quarter of viewers of what the Rock got main eventing during the attitude era for example, At the end of the day a Rock appearance on his worst day would sell more tickets than a Cena appearance on his best day

Longevity and dedication?!? How so? Rock has been coming back and making appearances (despite and INSANE schedule) since what 2011?!? He's never forgotten WWE or where he came from. He's sharing his mainstream success with the WWE and most importantly the fans. It could've been easy for Rock to never set foot in a WWE ring again after his success in Hollywood but he chose to come back and give the fans more appearances and more matches and that is what makes a legend. I'll bet if you ask John Cena he would say the same thing.

This is difficult to answer as The Rock the wrestler and Dwayne Johnson the movie star have kind of merged into one universal entity at this point. Plus there's so much criteria to take into account along with the fact that everybody measures greatness differently.

If we were comparing John Cena to The Rock that left WWE in 2003, than I would say that yes, John Cena has surpassed that Rock in terms of influence, greatness, etc. That Rock was huge, but he was always second fiddle to Austin, even at his hottest (shots fired, I know), and his time on top can't really be considered "on top" when you had Stone Cold beside him every step of the way. Even when Austin turned, he was the one who carried the show while Rock pissed off for a few months to do a movie. John Cena has been the unequivocal "man" in WWE for 10+ years now, he's reached a demographic that hadn't been exploited since Hulk Hogan in the 80s, and he's been the anchor that has brought WWE into this technological age. Fair is fair. If Austin and Rock get credit for the ratings during the AE, than Cena should get credit for the massive social media following that WWE has today. Not to mention the fact that he's a 15 time champion with far more incredible matches under his belt than The Rock has.

But if we're talking about current day Rock, the one who returned in 09 as one of the biggest movie stars in the world, than it's difficult to argue for Cena. Rock, as somebody who has transcended the wrestling business, has far more influence, drawing power, and mainstream appeal (which WWE fiends nowadays) than John Cena does. That Rock can literally walk in the building and be handed the World title, and he has. Honestly, it's kind of close, but like I said, there's so much criteria to sift through when talking about something like this that it really just comes down to opinion.

In a purely wrestling sense, I would go with John Cena. But The Rock is a bonafide, A-list star and that definitely means something in this discussion. Right now, I don't think Cena has "surpassed" the status that The Rock has built up, though that can easily change by the end of his career.

Austin/ Rock are Ali/Frazier, really??That's misinformed idoicy.
sendpm.gif

How so idiot?!? Austin and Rock had THE rivalry of the late 90's and 00's going all the way back to when they were feuding over the I-C belt. Ever heard of WrestleMania 15 idiot?!? It was a match a year in the making ever since Rock turned heel at Survivor Series '98 and joined McMahon in the Corporation.

Rock ,though a heel, was gaining EXTREME popularity and challenging Austin for that top babyface spot in '99. So Rock and Austin were essentially 1 and 1A feuding with the Corporate Ministry. Then Austin leaves for surgery and Rock assumes the top babyface spot in 2000. Then Austin returns and it's still 1 and 1 A only reversed. Rock is now top babyface feuding with HHH while Austin is second feuding with Rikishi and Kurt Angle.

This all leads to their SECOND WrestleMania main event at WM 17 where Austin won his FIFTH WWF Championship and did his now infamous feel turn.

So as you can see (unless you are illiterate) Rock's and Austin's careers were intertwined from 1998-2001. Both reigned supreme in the WWF so YOU are the one misinformed son. Maybe you should watch the Network more often and catch up.

John Cena has been in the WWE for the better part of 2 decades and has been on the Main Roster for 15 Years next year. John Cena was originally a guy that most would've thought would have only been a jobber. Cena was | | this closed to being released back in 2002. However, Cena showed something the WWE liked at a SmackDown Halloween Party.

What started out as another example of Vince odd love of comedy characters turned into the hottest rising star besides Batista and Randy Orton over on Raw. John Cena would go on to beat JBL for the WWE Championship at WrestleMania 21 and was the most over Champion since Stone Cold at that time. Cena's character would eventually evolve into the John Cena we all know and most of us love and most people hate. Whether you like him or not. All of us for the most part, respect the legend he has become.

John Cena has carried the WWE on his back for the last 11 Years as "The Face That Runs The PlaPlace." Over the last year or so, we have witness John Cena shift from the resident Standard Bearer to the resident Legend, The Top Guy to Part-Timer. Cena is a 15x World Champion,5x United States Champion,5x Tag Team Champion,2x Royal Rumble Winner,Money In The Bank Winner. Cena has done everything aside from win the Intercontinental Championship, and King Of The Ring. And has beaten the biggest names from his era.

Question is...Has he surpassed The Rock as a bigger legend in the industry? I say Yes. A lot of The Rock's legend comes from his Hollywood Career (which in hindsight has nothing to do with his WWE Career.) And just for a bonus question...Has he Surpassed Stone Cold? Answer to that question for Me..is No. Not yet.

In the ring wise, yes, he's surpassed The Rock. His run as top guy was longer and he evolved. I believe if The Rock stayed full-time longer, his run may rival Hogan's.

The Rock is so much better than Cena just in wrestling alone. He's got MUCH better drawing power, range, and charisma. Cena has been playing the same ol boring role for over 10 years and is damn near booed out of the building every time as a babyface. He's had his thug gimmick, and this crap generic gimmick who preaches about how he loves the company day in and day out...dude has no range. He's stale and boring, and has been put over by people he had no business beating (HBK, HHH, etc) at Wrestlemania in order to push his character when he was younger.

The Rock has been phenomenal in every character he's portrayed from Nation Rock, to People's Champ Rock, to Corporate Rock, to Hollywood Rock, to current day Rock...Cena is great on the mic, but he's not even close to saying anything worth remembering or creating many catch phrases that are fun and memorable.

People have fun when they watch the Rock...they are entertained. Only the kids really like Cena coming out and playing the Captain America role...adults are not buying it, and haven't been for a long time.

I give him all the credit in the world for doing the charity thing, but that doesn't count towards his work in the entertainment/in ring aspect. He also gets credit for sticking around this long, but when he throws it in everyone's face every other week, it's like, "ok bro we get it".

Cena's lack of range and versatility as "the guy" kind of reflects in the ratings...they're very low because the face of the company is as generic as corn flakes.

Guys like Rock, Austin, HBK, Undertaker, HHH, Flair, Hogan, etc...all have what he does not.

Being the man in an era where guys like HBK, HHH, and Undertaker are on their way out and looking to put you over to fill their shoes, and your only other real competition is a bunch of part timers like Jericho, and Brock, it's easy to be seen as a top wrestler of all time. With guys like Batista and Cm Punk getting the hell outta dodge after a couple years at the top it's no wonder John looks like he's a huge star.

He hasn't had to really go up against much competition. He hasn't had the type of competitive environment like his predecessors had. He didn't have to go out and work hard and fight for his life essentially like some of the aforementioned wrestlers have in order to make sure they won a ratings war, or get beat out by wrestlers looking to take his spot at the top. IMHO, this is what has hurt him, and while it may not be his fault, he's a victim of the times...they make the man, not the other way around.

I expected someone to get salty over what I said. Only going to respond because your red rep has annoyed me and your post sucks. Yup, here goes.

The Rock is so much better than Cena just in wrestling alone. He's got MUCH better drawing power, range, and charisma.

Current day Rock has better drawing power and that's only because he's not a wrestler anymore. Cena has been the guy drawing in crowds and carrying the company on his back, almost by himself, for the past 10 years. Rock had Austin, HHH, Foley, Taker, and THE ATTITUDE ERA to help him draw his numbers. People act like if The Rock was around today, WWE would still be pulling 6's in the cable ratings and it's not true. If The Rock had never left, the ratings would be, at most, maybe half a point better than they are today, and that's if The Rock didn't fall flat on his face in the PG environment. As for charisma and range, that's all opinion, but I vaguely remember The Rock reading lines off of his arm during his Cena feud so... :shrug:. Not to mention the fact that Cena pretty much buried Rock on the mic during their Mania 28 feud. Saying Rock is so much better than Cena shows your bias which makes your points on the matter pretty obsolete.

Cena has been playing the same ol boring role for over 10 years and is damn near booed out of the building every time as a babyface.

Cena has barely been getting booed for the past couple years now and draws the best reaction in the WWE BY FAR. Plus, there's a reason for the jeers. Cena is not geared towards teenagers and neckbeard adults who find penis and pussy jokes funny, and as a result, they (the loudest demo in the crowd) boo him. His character is geared towards kids, 95% of which seem to absolutely idolize the guy. Comparing Cena and Rock's demographics and reactions is like comparing apples to oranges.

He's had his thug gimmick, and this crap generic gimmick who preaches about how he loves the company day in and day out...dude has no range.

John Cena went from a white-boy gangster heel who raps, grabs his balls, and makes sexual innuendos to a well-bred Captain America who stands for everything moral and right. Not even mentioning the fact that Cena was actually able to get over with a white boy thug gimmick, I don't think you'll find a better example of range than John Cena. Brutal point.

He's stale and boring, and has been put over by people he had no business beating (HBK, HHH, etc) at Wrestlemania in order to push his character when he was younger.

Showing more of your bias. Also, pushing the face of your company by having him beat established veterans at Mania is booking 101. No clue what your point is here.

The Rock has been phenomenal in every character he's portrayed from Nation Rock, to People's Champ Rock, to Corporate Rock, to Hollywood Rock, to current day Rock...Cena is great on the mic, but he's not even close to saying anything worth remembering or creating many catch phrases that are fun and memorable.

Oh yeah, that Rocky Maivia guy lit the place up...

Also, Cena has never created a memorable catchphrase? Are you new? How about ummmm, You Can't See Me? The Champ is Here? You Want Some Come Get Some? Hustle. Loyalty. Respect? Don't just make shit up to fit your narrative.

People have fun when they watch the Rock...they are entertained. Only the kids really like Cena coming out and playing the Captain America role...adults are not buying it, and haven't been for a long time.

What a ridiculous thing to say. Do you know every adult wrestling fan in the world? No. You don't even know half a percentage. This is a ludicrous statement but I really shouldn't be surprised.

I give him all the credit in the world for doing the charity thing, but that doesn't count towards his work in the entertainment/in ring aspect. He also gets credit for sticking around this long, but when he throws it in everyone's face every other week, it's like, "ok bro we get it".

"Throws it in everyone's face". In other words, playing a character and playing it well. Man, wrestling is not real, you need to grow up.

Cena's lack of range and versatility as "the guy" kind of reflects in the ratings...they're very low because the face of the company is as generic as corn flakes.

Wow. Just wow.

Guys like Rock, Austin, HBK, Undertaker, HHH, Flair, Hogan, etc...all have what he does not.

Yeah, a supporting cast for one.

Being the man in an era where guys like HBK, HHH, and Undertaker are on their way out and looking to put you over to fill their shoes, and your only other real competition is a bunch of part timers like Jericho, and Brock, it's easy to be seen as a top wrestler of all time. With guys like Batista and Cm Punk getting the hell outta dodge after a couple years at the top it's no wonder John looks like he's a huge star.

I've seen this crappy argument so many times that I wonder when numbskulls like you will stop trying to portray it as fact. Nobody has been able to get over on the level of John Cena for the past 10+ years other than a very select few and no, it's not because "Vince is burying everybody for the sake of John Cena". It's not because "everyone else sucks", either. It's simply because Cena is a better pro-wrestler than the ones who try to stand beside him.

I'll gladly accept the opinion that Rock is better than Cena, but come on. At least act as if you're older than 12 when making your argument and resorting to the same cliche'd crap that I've been hearing for the past 5 years.

A lot of people seem to use the word 'longevity' to defend their claims but there is a reason why the longest reigning WWE Champion of all time (Bruno Sammartino) is rarely mentioned when talking about the greatest stars ever. Bruno was the best of his era, Cena is undoubtedly the best of his, but is that reflection of the man or a reflection of their era? In a world where all-time greats Andre The Giant, Randy Savage, Roddy Piper, and more were fighting for the top spot Hulk Hogan was sitting comfortably atop the mountain. The same could be said for Austin when Bret, HBK and Undertaker were in their physical primes. The same can be said for Dwayne toppling Austin, HHH, Foley, and more. But Cena? Not quite. He has ruled the WWE during it's lowest point while Rock Austin and Hogan all dominated the business at its highest.

If Cena goes on and headlines 10 more consecutive years and wins 15 more championships, I still don't think he'd surpass the impact that Hogan, Rock, and Austin have had on this business. I actually think it's blasphemous to even put him in their league, let alone to say he's better than any one of them. In terms of legacy, he's definitely up there but apart from Shawn Michaels I'd say everyone's legacy is directly related to accolades. There is perhaps no man who has more accolades than Cena (HHH and Edge are the first guys who come to mind) so he automatically has one of the biggest legacies ever but to say he's bigger than the faces of the most successful periods of wrestling? Hell no. 11 years as the "face that runs the place" and he still isn't the pop culture icon that the big 3 were during their primes. Don't get me wrong, Cena clearly has the most crossover appeal in the WWE today but it simply doesn't compare to the crossover appeal Rock Austin and Hogan had during their respective eras.

I expected someone to get salty over what I said. Only going to respond because your red rep has annoyed me and your post sucks. Yup, here goes.

No no no, your post sucks, and so does your sig...your obsession with Michael Cole is concerning.

Current day Rock has better drawing power and that's only because he's not a wrestler anymore. Cena has been the guy drawing in crowds and carrying the company on his back, almost by himself, for the past 10 years. Rock had Austin, HHH, Foley, Taker, and THE ATTITUDE ERA to help him draw his numbers. People act like if The Rock was around today, WWE would still be pulling 6's in the cable ratings and it's not true. If The Rock had never left, the ratings would be, at most, maybe half a point better than they are today, and that's if The Rock didn't fall flat on his face in the PG environment. As for charisma and range, that's all opinion, but I vaguely remember The Rock reading lines off of his arm during his Cena feud so... :shrug:. Not to mention the fact that Cena pretty much buried Rock on the mic during their Mania 28 feud. Saying Rock is so much better than Cena shows your bias which makes your points on the matter pretty obsolete.

These are your opinions...in case nobody told you, opinions are not facts. You can't just sit there and assume that if the Rock stuck around, that the ratings would be "a half a point better"....thats ridiculous lol. Fact is that when he comes back for Wrestlemania....the numbers are huge compared to when he's not. So going off that, and the ratings when he's on Raw, I'm inclined to believe your opinion is meaningless. How exactly did he fall flat on his face in the PG era??? Amazing how someone could be so out of touch with reality.

Cena absolutely did NOT bury The Rock on the mic during the Mania 28 feud lol. You're seeming crazier by the minute. In fact it was the other way around...Rock crushed Cena with "Fruity Pebbles" the little kid segement, Teletubby, etc and got the crowd to go 10000 times harder on him with the "Cena Sucks" ...I was there at Mania and the next night on Raw...after Raw they were all chanting "F U Cena"....Nobody has made the crowd turn on him more than Rock. All Cena said was "Tooth Fairy" and "you left wrestling and I stayed"...wow, big deal dude.

You also do not seem to comprehend what charisma and range are...it has nothing to do with the arm thing...it has everything to do with Cena being generic and boring, and how he's only played 2 characters his whole career...which both sucked and got him booed out of the building by everyone except for little children.

You're also not acknowledging my point which you seem to be fighting against (yet agree with) that Cena has had the misfortune of being in the company during a time/era that just sucks. I said that he was put over by guys who were on their way out or becoming part timers like HHH, HBK, etc, in order to lead the next era, but in that time, he's only been able to work with guys who have come and gone quickly like Batista, Punk, and Bryan for example. It's not his fault...he hasn't been able to be in situations like Hogan, Austin, Rock, etc where they were surrounded with equally great stars consistently. We still can't act as though he has been working with jobbers his whole career too though...because he has had a good amount of big programs with top guys.

Cena has barely been getting booed for the past couple years now and draws the best reaction in the WWE BY FAR. Plus, there's a reason for the jeers. Cena is not geared towards teenagers and neckbeard adults who find penis and pussy jokes funny, and as a result, they (the loudest demo in the crowd) boo him. His character is geared towards kids, 95% of which seem to absolutely idolize the guy. Comparing Cena and Rock's demographics and reactions is like comparing apples to oranges.

Best reaction by far??? In who's opinion? Yours? I'd easily say that Styles, Rollins, and even Owens get more pop than Cena current day. Cena is geared ONLY towards children...let's not sit here and act like the only adults who don't like him are immature idiots. I never compared their demographics...you're just making points based on arguments that you're creating on your own. All I said was he gets booed out of the building...end of story.

John Cena went from a white-boy gangster heel who raps, grabs his balls, and makes sexual innuendos to a well-bred Captain America who stands for everything moral and right. Not even mentioning the fact that Cena was actually able to get over with a white boy thug gimmick, I don't think you'll find a better example of range than John Cena. Brutal point.

How is that range? That's basically every normal young adult that grows up to be a man lol. When guys are young and into the hip hop culture, they dress, act, and talk like that...then they grow up and become normal men. Hardly any real range. Range is like HHH going from DX (another example of a young dude chopping his crotch making sexual innuendos) to the Game, to Evolution, to the COO, to the Authority HHH.

Showing more of your bias. Also, pushing the face of your company by having him beat established veterans at Mania is booking 101. No clue what your point is here.

lol really? That's booking 101? Then why did people hate him for it? Why are people hating Roman Reigns now? Because he was shoved down our throats. Cena never lost, and it was forced...that's why people resent "Super Cena" and his 5 moves of doom. How do you not get that point?

Oh yeah, that Rocky Maivia guy lit the place up...

Also, Cena has never created a memorable catchphrase? Are you new? How about ummmm, You Can't See Me? The Champ is Here? You Want Some Come Get Some? Hustle. Loyalty. Respect? Don't just make shit up to fit your narrative.

OMG, are you serious? Every single wrestler has one bad character from Austin to Hogan to Cena himself...look at Cena when he first came on the scene...he was horrible! Notice how I didn't even mention it until now...you can't knock everyone's first character until they find their nitch. Austin was the Ringmaster..."he really lit the place up" too. Don't be an idiot.

What a ridiculous thing to say. Do you know every adult wrestling fan in the world? No. You don't even know half a percentage. This is a ludicrous statement but I really shouldn't be surprised.

Man you're reaching sooooo hard here lol. I know every single city in the country, and overseas that Cena has been going to over the past 13 or 14 years that has booed the living hell outta him. And I know adult voices when I hear them singing "John Cena sucks, John Cena sucks" or kids chanting "let's go Cena" and the adults scream "Cena Sucks" or adults chanting "F U Cena" or whatever else they're saying that week. I'm surprised that you're this clueless. I mean hell, if that's not a good enough sample size, then I dunno what is lol.

"Throws it in everyone's face". In other words, playing a character and playing it well. Man, wrestling is not real, you need to grow up.

Playing it well? By constantly having to explain why he should be loved? That sounds like out of character desperation to me...not playing it well. You're the one who clearly needs to grow up and stop getting so offended by what I'm saying. I never once gave any indication that I thought wrestling is real lol...these are statements from a person fighting a losing battle.

Wow. Just wow.

You're constantly preaching how he is carrying the company and he's the face of the company...yet when I say the ratings are low with him in that position, it's a problem? How convenient. If it was the Rock tho...

I've seen this crappy argument so many times that I wonder when numbskulls like you will stop trying to portray it as fact. Nobody has been able to get over on the level of John Cena for the past 10+ years other than a very select few and no, it's not because "Vince is burying everybody for the sake of John Cena". It's not because "everyone else sucks", either. It's simply because Cena is a better pro-wrestler than the ones who try to stand beside him.

I never said those things at all lol. All I said was that the ones who have stood beside him have left after a short time at the top, i.e. Batista, CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, etc. Had they been around long term, the light wouldn't only be shining on Cena all this time...the same way it wasn't only shining on the Rock, Hogan, or HBK because they had guys like Austin, Bret, Macho, Flair, etc around too. So it's easier in Cena's case to say he's the only dude who's been in the forefront the past 13 years.

I'll gladly accept the opinion that Rock is better than Cena, but come on. At least act as if you're older than 12 when making your argument and resorting to the same cliche'd crap that I've been hearing for the past 5 years.

You sure as hell don't seem accepting of that opinion at all lol. And you should heed your own advice...stop taking it so personal and getting upset...its unbecoming of an "adult" such as yourself.

Cena absolutely did NOT bury The Rock on the mic during the Mania 28 feud lol. You're seeming crazier by the minute. In fact it was the other way around...Rock crushed Cena with "Fruity Pebbles" the little kid segement, Teletubby, etc and got the crowd to go 10000 times harder on him with the "Cena Sucks" ...I was there at Mania and the next night on Raw...after Raw they were all chanting "F U Cena"....Nobody has made the crowd turn on him more than Rock. All Cena said was "Tooth Fairy" and "you left wrestling and I stayed"...wow, big deal dude.

Rock stayed in his comfort zone with his promos. Cena called him out on leaving and not coming back, distancing himself from WWE all those years, the promo notes on his wrist, etc..

The rest of your post just dives into the same type of posts you could read on a youtube comment section, but the reality is Cena's status in the WWE has surpassed The Rock's when he was full time in the WWE.

Oi, didn't we have another argument about Cena? Whether either he or Sting would be Taker's Mania opponent? By the way, you're very lucky that Cena ended up getting hurt because that match was definitely going to happen and I vaguely remember betting accounts. So close. So close.

No no no, your post sucks, and so does your sig...your obsession with Michael Cole is concerning.

My obsession with Foxy Co... erm... Michael Cole is none of your business.

These are your opinions...in case nobody told you, opinions are not facts. You can't just sit there and assume that if the Rock stuck around, that the ratings would be "a half a point better"....thats ridiculous lol. Fact is that when he comes back for Wrestlemania....the numbers are huge compared to when he's not. So going off that, and the ratings when he's on Raw, I'm inclined to believe your opinion is meaningless. How exactly did he fall flat on his face in the PG era??? Amazing how someone could be so out of touch with reality.

Donald Trump is that you. GO TO THE FACT-CHECKER!

1. I would like to see some evidence proving that Wrestlemania numbers are "huge" when Rock appears compared to when he doesn't. Mania 25 drew nearly the same buyrate as Mania 27. Mania 28 drew big, but you might remember Rock's opponent that night was... yeah fill in the blanks. Same goes for Mania 29. Other than 28, the other two highest buyrate's for a Mania are 23 and 21. So Cena has (basically) main evented the three highest grossing Manias of all time while Rock has appeared in one. Tell me about those huge numbers again Donald?

2. Raw ratings spike when Rock appears... by half a point, if even that. In fact, the lone Raw that Rock appeared on in 2014 drew a lower number than the week before and after. Actually, it drew the lowest number in over 4 months... His appearance in 2016 raised ratings by, again, half a point. Getting it Donny?

3. I never said Rock fell flat on his face in the PG Era (although he was reading lines off of a friggin teleprompter at one point...). I said he might have if he stayed around and wasn't aloud to talk about cocks, vaginas, and monkey asses anymore. Rock doesn't have to follow the rules even when he does appear so it's kind of a moot point Drumpf.

Oh yes, the dreaded Fruity Pebbles insult. That was straight out of a horror movie that. Also, I don't think Cena ever actually said the words "Tooth Fairy". I think his exact line was... hem hem: "I'm not talking trash Rock, I'm talking truth. You left us high and dry to play a fairy with a tooth?" Which got a nice reaction by the way.

Here, you know what, just watch this.

[youtube]Q40SqVBzLU4[/youtube]

Cena roasted Rock for reading off a teleprompter, reading off his arm, and his "Via Satellite" bit was classic. Rock would get legitimately pissed at Cena for basically shooting on him. But yeah, Fruity Pebbles and Teletubbies and shit.

You also do not seem to comprehend what charisma and range are...it has nothing to do with the arm thing...it has everything to do with Cena being generic and boring, and how he's only played 2 characters his whole career...which both sucked and got him booed out of the building by everyone except for little children.

He's played two characters who could not have been more different. I'm sure the children were loving Cena when he was talking about his balls, and getting blown every week. Did you even watch back then? Serious question. Also, you saying he sucks does nothing for me. You saying he gets booed out of the building is about 5 years too late. It's 2016 mate.

You're also not acknowledging my point which you seem to be fighting against (yet agree with) that Cena has had the misfortune of being in the company during a time/era that just sucks. I said that he was put over by guys who were on their way out or becoming part timers like HHH, HBK, etc, in order to lead the next era, but in that time, he's only been able to work with guys who have come and gone quickly like Batista, Punk, and Bryan for example. It's not his fault...he hasn't been able to be in situations like Hogan, Austin, Rock, etc where they were surrounded with equally great stars consistently. We still can't act as though he has been working with jobbers his whole career too though...because he has had a good amount of big programs with top guys.

Ok. I'm not acknowledging it because I don't think I disagree with it. What it has to do with the argument, I don't know.

Best reaction by far??? In who's opinion? Yours? I'd easily say that Styles, Rollins, and even Owens get more pop than Cena current day. Cena is geared ONLY towards children...let's not sit here and act like the only adults who don't like him are immature idiots. I never compared their demographics...you're just making points based on arguments that you're creating on your own. All I said was he gets booed out of the building...end of story.

Oh wow. You won't even concede this point? Cena gets the best reactions in the business. It's never, never quiet from the time his music hits until he leaves the ring. Why am I even bothering?

And yes, you did indirectly compare their demo's when you compared their reactions. Rock gets cheered by the loud, drunken, men-child who make up 70% of the audience because he CATERS TO THEM. Cena literally antagonizes that group which is why they boo him. They, like you, are being worked. I need to explain this?

How is that range? That's basically every normal young adult that grows up to be a man lol. When guys are young and into the hip hop culture, they dress, act, and talk like that...then they grow up and become normal men. Hardly any real range. Range is like HHH going from DX (another example of a young dude chopping his crotch making sexual innuendos) to the Game, to Evolution, to the COO, to the Authority HHH.

And this is what I mean when I remind you wrestling is not real. You're acting like John Cena the person was a rapping thug, then magically grew up and became the man he is today. He's playing two completely different CHARACTERS. Man, this is getting more ridiculous by the paragraph. I wonder what awaits me next. Let's see.

lol really? That's booking 101? Then why did people hate him for it? Why are people hating Roman Reigns now? Because he was shoved down our throats. Cena never lost, and it was forced...that's why people resent "Super Cena" and his 5 moves of doom. How do you not get that point?

Not as dumb as I would have liked tbh...

Please, people don't hate John Cena for that. They hate him for much less substantial reasons. Cena's lost cleaner a hell of a lot more than Hogan or Austin ever did and the fans loved them. The difference between Reigns and Cena is that the fans were behind Cena throughout his rise to the top. They only turned on him when he fully became Captain America and started focusing on catering to kids.

And yes, that is booking 101. See Brock Lesnar.

OMG, are you serious? Every single wrestler has one bad character from Austin to Hogan to Cena himself...look at Cena when he first came on the scene...he was horrible! Notice how I didn't even mention it until now...you can't knock everyone's first character until they find their nitch. Austin was the Ringmaster..."he really lit the place up" too. Don't be an idiot.

Ok, I'll concede it. I was just trying to annoy you with that one. Seems like it worked though ;).

Man you're reaching sooooo hard here lol. I know every single city in the country, and overseas that Cena has been going to over the past 13 or 14 years that has booed the living hell outta him. And I know adult voices when I hear them singing "John Cena sucks, John Cena sucks" or kids chanting "let's go Cena" and the adults scream "Cena Sucks" or adults chanting "F U Cena" or whatever else they're saying that week. I'm surprised that you're this clueless. I mean hell, if that's not a good enough sample size, then I dunno what is lol.

Hey man, it's 2016. You do realize you are now in the minority with the likes of Crocker, right? You're arguments are stale as goose shit and stopped being relevant 3 years ago.

I bet you think people actually thought Kurt Angle sucked too.

Playing it well? By constantly having to explain why he should be loved? That sounds like out of character desperation to me...not playing it well. You're the one who clearly needs to grow up and stop getting so offended by what I'm saying. I never once gave any indication that I thought wrestling is real lol...these are statements from a person fighting a losing battle.

Oi vey. Yes people, I had to go Jewish for a second to show my frustration. You are giving an indication. You give one in this very paragraph as a matter of fact. It doesn't seem like you're comprehending the "character" aspect of wrestling. A big part of John Cena's character is his dedication to the WWE. THE KIDS LIKE IT!!! YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO LIKE IT!!!

And yes, I'm so offended. Because one must be offended if discussing a topic passionately. Wait, I live in the adult world so I do that everyday. Never mind.

You're constantly preaching how he is carrying the company and he's the face of the company...yet when I say the ratings are low with him in that position, it's a problem? How convenient. If it was the Rock tho...

Ratings are as high as they are because of John Cena. Without him, WWE would probably be in the 1's. Ratings were high in the AE because of multiple factors. The Rock was a cog in a stacked machine. Cena is the machine. That's the difference, and that's why you can't compare the two eras. Not to mention the fact that doing so completely ignores the technological advances of media, which plays an integral part in the ratings today.

You sure as hell don't seem accepting of that opinion at all lol. And you should heed your own advice...stop taking it so personal and getting upset...its unbecoming of an "adult" such as yourself.

"In a purely wrestling sense, I would go with John Cena. But The Rock is a bonafide, A-list star and that definitely means something in this discussion. Right now, I don't think Cena has "surpassed" the status that The Rock has built up, though that can easily change by the end of his career."

Said this in my first post. So again, you're wrong.

But you're right, I'm getting too upset and taking this personally. Excuse me while I sob for a bit.

I'm done blowing up this thread and arguing with a teenager who always resorts to "lol you's so offended, stop beings offended lol.". Feel free to answer this post though.

Rock stayed in his comfort zone with his promos. Cena called him out on leaving and not coming back, distancing himself from WWE all those years, the promo notes on his wrist, etc..

The rest of your post just dives into the same type of posts you could read on a youtube comment section, but the reality is Cena's status in the WWE has surpassed The Rock's when he was full time in the WWE.

Umm I've already mentioned what Cena said...stuff that nobody really cares about and isn't even funny. And I wouldn't know...I don't sit and read YouTube comments all day...I have a life. It's your opinion and OYDK's opinion about Cena being better than Rock in wrestling...clearly you two are outnumbered in this thread.

As for Michael Cole's obsessed fan...
...I'm not going to respond to your novel of a post. I really don't care that much about whether Cena is better than Rock or not...I've said my peace and you continue to ramble about how you're so butt hurt about me disagreeing with something so trivial as this. And who gives a sh** about whether Sting or Cena was going to face Undertaker? I never sig bet you lol...I simply said Sting was the guy everyone wanted to see against him and you went apesh** like you did in this thread lol. Seriously, go complain to someone else about this crap or go get a real life with things to complain about that are actually worthwhile and make a difference in the world if you're such an adult. Wrestling isn't real remember? Stop acting like it is. Have a nice day! :)

How so idiot?!? Austin and Rock had THE rivalry of the late 90's and 00's going all the way back to when they were feuding over the I-C belt. Ever heard of WrestleMania 15 idiot?!? It was a match a year in the making ever since Rock turned heel at Survivor Series '98 and joined McMahon in the Corporation.

Rock ,though a heel, was gaining EXTREME popularity and challenging Austin for that top babyface spot in '99. So Rock and Austin were essentially 1 and 1A feuding with the Corporate Ministry. Then Austin leaves for surgery and Rock assumes the top babyface spot in 2000. Then Austin returns and it's still 1 and 1 A only reversed. Rock is now top babyface feuding with HHH while Austin is second feuding with Rikishi and Kurt Angle.

This all leads to their SECOND WrestleMania main event at WM 17 where Austin won his FIFTH WWF Championship and did his now infamous feel turn.

So as you can see (unless you are illiterate) Rock's and Austin's careers were intertwined from 1998-2001. Both reigned supreme in the WWF so YOU are the one misinformed son. Maybe you should watch the Network more often and catch up.

I've been trying to say this to people for years. It helps when you actually watch what happened as opposed to listen to WWE's narrative

Cena is the closest thing to a mega star since the days of Hogan, Warrior, Austin and Rock but he still doesn't come no where close to their popularity cult following.

I have to agree with this. Cena is a very good wrestler and easily in the Top 5 all time, but there are some things that will keep him from surpassing The Rock.

-- The Rock is the best of all time on the mic. No one comes close to him.
-- The Rock is a more recognizable name although you could probably credit his movie caereer for this.
-- Cena's character has grown somewhat stale in the last few years.

It really comes down to opinion. You could make the argument that Cena has surpassed The Rock. Again it comes down to opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back