Has Anyone Here Written A Paper On Historical/Mythological War Tactics?

Oh yeah, yes that I would be interested in, any credible e-links to this you can give me?

For some reason, the wikipedia entries of a vast array of ancient history topics are rather good.

Those on Alexander, his Indian campaign and the Battle of Hydapses are no exception.

Anyone mention Art of War? yet?

While a tremendous piece of work, I doubt that the Art of War is really that... is 'accessible' the word? for those who might not be professional historians or actually wanting to write about military tactics in action. There is very little accompanying story in the Art of War or anecdotes of the tactics and strategies so it comes across as very dry

It is an historical textbook like the Strategikon of Mauricius or the Tactica of Leo VI, and is probably of less use than either of them to an historian as it is almost too scientific.

Yes that is the basic premise Doug, too bad people had no idea about that before Art of War, thank you.

Coming back to Alexander/Porus, I wanted to ask Barbosa, are you familiar with Chanakya?

He was a minister/statesman in India when Alexander invaded and accounts of him basically discouraging Alexander to invade any further are tales of lore here.

Chanakya or Kautilya, any mention of him anywhere?

Except the Art of War has historically been used in everything. Most army's use some tactic from it. The basic premise of it is surprise your enemies.

I am in no way disputing the importance of Sun Tzu but the fact that plenty of peoples including the likes of the Greeks and Romans came to discover many if not all of his tenets of warfare without ever having read him suggests that it was not "used in everything."

Coming back to Alexander/Porus, I wanted to ask Barbosa, are you familiar with Chanakya?

He was a minister/statesman in India when Alexander invaded and accounts of him basically discouraging Alexander to invade any further are tales of lore here.

Chanakya or Kautilya, any mention of him anywhere?

To be honest, I have never heard of him. I could well imagine some Indian statesmen looking to deter or even encourage Alexander to intervene in Indian politics for their own ends - despite losing the battle of Hydapses, Porus had done rather well out his engagements with Alexander, who is thought to have admired the bravery of the Punjabi king.

However, if Chanakya's plan was to stop Alexander from invading, he was unsuccessful in his mission as Alexander was most definitely about to march into the territories of the Nanda Empire and was only stopped by the mutiny of his army, although I suppose it is possible that some Indians in contact with the Macedonians spread tales of the size of their armies and rivers.

Барбоса;4450115 said:
The Battle of Hydapses is the main event in Alexander the Great's invasion of India in 326BCE, where he defeats the army of Porus, a king in the Punjab.

This the one with the War Elephants, and despite victory, Alexander allows the king to keep his city, as an honor to his impressive bravery?

It woud be a good one because of its significance as far as the development of Indian culture and the still-remaining greek influences on it

Барбоса;4452409 said:
To be honest, I have never heard of him. I could well imagine some Indian statesmen looking to deter or even encourage Alexander to intervene in Indian politics for their own ends - despite losing the battle of Hydapses, Porus had done rather well out his engagements with Alexander, who is thought to have admired the bravery of the Punjabi king.

However, if Chanakya's plan was to stop Alexander from invading, he was unsuccessful in his mission as Alexander was most definitely about to march into the territories of the Nanda Empire and was only stopped by the mutiny of his army, although I suppose it is possible that some Indians in contact with the Macedonians spread tales of the size of their armies and rivers.

Uhhhh yea. Because he had made them march and kill for eight years straight. Also, it began to rain like a mad motherfucker. and, he was really acting like an asshole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back