Greatest Movies Based On Historical Periods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferbian

Has Returned.
There's one hell of a lot of movies that tells the tale of some historical person, or a historical period of time. Movies for different time periods as well.

All of these are different in one way or another, different interpretations of a specific tale, or simply different tales. Some of the better movies, at least in my mind would include the likes of Saving Private Ryan (World War 2 period), Gladiator (Roman period), The Patriot (American independence period).

And this is what this thread is about. It's a rather broad subject seeing as you can basically cover any historical period and add your favorite movie.

So what movie is your favorite for a specific historical period / event?

I'll go first:

Roman empire period: Gladiator - While it doesn't focus nearly as much on the whole Roman empire period, it certainly focuses very well on a very popular aspect during that time. Gladiator fighting. It is definitely one of my favorite movies, as well as it is my favorite Russell Crowe movie of all time.

World War 2 period: Saving Private Ryan, yeah it's pretty much just gonna cover what I wrote in the introduction to this thing. I love Saving Private Ryan, and it has been one of my favorite movies of all time. Great acting from Tom Hanks, as well as some great war scenes with a half decent character development while displaying some of the horrors of some battlefields in the process.

France 17th century: The Three Musketeers (1993 edition). Definitely another favorite, I've always had a thing for sword fighting battles and all that, and I remember watching this as a child when they would air it on regular television in Denmark. I was pretty much sucked into it from the very start. It reminds me a lot of another one I really like - The Man With The Iron Mask.

There's definitely a lot of other periods, however this is just some. So now I ask for your choices.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, one of my favorite period pieces has to be based on "The Man In The Iron Mask" the movie with Leo DiCaprio, John Malkovich in it. I thought it was done quite well, I loved reading the story in high school. It was quite well made, and Leo does well in getting involved with the character he plays no matter what the era, not that I'm a the biggest leo fan, but I give him props, the producers of Titanic, and Gangs of New York knew who to look for when looking for someone to masterfully pick up for that time.

Another one I LOVED was Glory starring Denzel Washington, and Matthew Broderick. I cannot count how many times we watched in our history classes, but I still get chills watching it. The recounting of the American Civil war was quite telling of the struggles of the African American soldiers during that era.

Another saga I enjoyed was the mini series North and South, another civil war piece with Patrick Swayze, and quite a few other stars in it. Again, I've always been amazed by the history behind the way a war like that would tear the nation apart and to see the many different people battling for the salvation of one nation. It always gives me goosebumps.

Three films jump out to me when you mention historical periods (especially with war):

Saving Private Ryan - a truly beautiful film that if I know is on then I'll be able to put it on at any point and enjoy myself no matter what. Tom Hanks is spot-on with his acting in this film for me.

Platoon - a Vietnam epic and the film that made Charlie Sheen for me. Watched it for a History lesson or two and must say I was in love with this film for it's brilliance. William Dafoe's death is the iconic scene for me.

Gone With The Wind - another epic movie that took two English Language double lessons of mine before we finished it. Scarlett O'Hara and Rhett Butler are the definition of the antagonistic romance. Say what you want but frankly my fellow posters, I don't give a damn.

American Revolutionary War - The Patriot. The main character Benjamin Martin was actually based on a few people from the Revolution War, Francis Martin, Andrew Pickens, Thomas Sumter, and Daniel Morgan. Also one of the main antagonist Colonel Tavington was based on Basantre Tarleton. They actually portrayed some real characters as well in General Cornwallis and mentioning George Washington. The Patriot had some really good battle scenes, especially the end one. The film also showed how a militia kept the British contained in the South.

French and Indian War: The Last of the Mochicans - Although the movie was based more on a love story but it was set in the French and Indian War, it still had some of the War incorporated in it. The fighting scenes were great in this movie. The main antagonist Magua was so ruthless. I loved the scenery in this movie, they choose some beautiful spots to film the movie.

Scottish Independence War: Braveheart - This is a movie that doesn't need much explanation. Everyone knows about Braveheart and how good it was.

Sierra Leone Civil War: Blood Diamond - Such a good performances from Leo DiCapario, Desmond Housnou, and Jennifer Connelly. The movie did a great job showing how ruthless the rebels were.

Jerusalem during the crusades of the 12th century: The Kingdom of Heaven (Director's Cut)

I was a fan of the original/theatrical cut of the film, but the Director's Cut is simply unbelievable and easily the first movie that comes to mind for me when it comes to this thread.

First of all, the movie tried it's hardest to be unbiased. It didn't take the Israelis or Arabs side; I deeply appreciated that aspect, because usually with Hollywood films... the Israelis are the good guys and the Arabs are the bad guys. It was refreshing to see for once a movie tell both sides of the story, instead of just siding with one over the other. War is never that black and white, like most films would love for us to believe.

Anyways, the movie itself... it's just perfect. The war/fight scenes are infuckingcredible, the acting is SUPERB (especially from Edward Norton, who is worth watching this movie for alone), and the movie just grabs a hold of you and keeps you the entire 4 hour duration, which is no easy feat. It's simply a fantastic, and one that I implore you to check out if you haven't already.

Just thought up another one I would like to add.

Western period: Maverick. There's a rare amount of western movies I like, but Maverick is definitely one of the few, probably rather close with The quick and the dead. Mel Gibson and Jodie Foster did very well in this movie, some funny stuff here and there, and a lot of great acting. I've always enjoyed a great Mel Gibson movie, and this is certainly one of them.

Another few I thought of...

Forrest Gump- I LOVE the many eras it spans. The effects were great in how they incorporated Tom Hanks' character in the different actual historical events.

Dances With Wolves- Super entertaining film. I remember watching it in 6th grade creative writing class. It was in regards to the story telling of the Native Americans of the Plains. The way in which the scenery for the film, and the historical aspect of the American impact on Midwest Native American tribes was so amazing to me.

A few other honorable mentions for me include Full Metal Jacket, and Born on The Fourth of July. Both intense movies with the hard hitting scenery of the Vietnam War and the after effects that time period had on the population. It gives you a sense of how nobody seems to be fully recovered after certain events like war.

Another one I dig is a Showtime series (I hope you can count it a movie...) The Tudors...they made a movie called The Other Boleyn Girl about Anne Boleyn and her sister Mary (I'm having a brain lapse...). All about King Henry The Eighth's life and ruling over England. I am SO into that time. I know they probably embellish a little bit for hollywood, but I never knew all the secrets and politics on the inside and just how twisted the royals were, and it was supposed to be a kingdom ruled on Christianity and faith, and yet these royals were as far from pure as could be. It really intrigued me to get more into studying that.

Thanx to Ferb for mentioning Maverick I remembered a western that I wanted to touch on, that movie being Unforgiven. Clint Eastwood was great in it. By far my favorite western that he has done, I seen a lot of his too. Gene Hackman was really good as well. Eastwood won his first Academy Awards for it, Best Directer and Best Picture. Anyone who hasn't seen it I highly recommend it, just tells a great story of an old retired gunfighter that comes back for one more ride.

Maverick is an awesome movie, but it's hard for me to pick a comedy out of the western era. The time period was way too harsh for me to say a comedy is the best out of them all. Sounds weird I know, but I just can't pick it. I'm torn between either Tombstone or The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Tombstone's story just kicks ass and it's easily my favorite character for Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is a much different movie. I'm normally not a fan of Clint Eastwood, but one day I sat down and watched this movie and it is actually really good. The story tells you a lot about the era they were in, including showing some scenes regarding the Civil War. And the character develpment throughout the entire movie for the 3 main characters is amazing. Great movie.

I hate war movies, but I watched Platoon once and I have to say that really is a damn good movie. It's bad that it would win my Vietnam war era by default, but I'd have to think it would anyways.

For the Roman era that's easily Gladiator. Yes, it doesn't encompass the war and their empire, but I think it covers a much cooler aspect of that time period.

Trying to think of something from the Medieval times, but all I can think of is Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. While I like the movie, and Alan Rickman is awesome as usual, I have to believe there's something better, I just can't think of it.

For the old west/Civil War period, one of the very best is "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly." That movie is just plain epic. Phenomenal. And to think it was a spaghetti Western! If you haven't seen it, you really should. You probably need to watch it twice, as there's so much going on in it. I really liked how they bled the western genre into the Civil War.

For me the best war movie has to be the Alamo (the newer one with billy bob thorton), that movie had the best actors and it just felt real. It really showed Texas's stuggle against Mexico. Also Davy playing the volin in that movie before the final showdown between the Alamo and Mexico was just awesome and really played to a person's heart and i am not ashamed to say that i fuckin broke out in tears when that played and when they were writing letters to there families.

Also World Trade Center with Nick Cage was amazing too, it showed what those men went through being trapped under there.

For the Roman Period(during the occupation of Israel) I would choose: Ben Hurr. This was an excellent film which took place around the time of the crucification of Jesus. In terms of accuracy I dont know if it ever actually occured, I havent looked into it, but the film does indeed follow the Biblical descriptions of the era.

For the time of the Arab Revolt I will pick: Lawrence of Arabia. Another excellent film in which depicts the exploits of T. E. Lawrence during the Arab Revolution against the Ottoman Empire.

And for the war with Japan Ill go with: Bridge On The River Kwai. The acting film was about a group of POWs in the war with Japan during WW2. The film was excellent and featured an amazing performance by Sir Alec Guinness.

I recommend all 3 films, they were all excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back