Hall of Fame - Rick Derringer

HeenanGorilla

Championship Contender
As the controversy of the MLB HOF vote, and WrestleMania, are upon us, I was thinking about this year's WWE HOF class.

Warrior, Jake, Savage, Owen...all fine choices for wrestlers. But, for his contributions to WWF, I think Rick Derringer should be inducted by Mean Gene Okerlund. (Assuming Hogan is inducting Savage or someone else...otherwise, have him there to thank him too)

Rock N Roll Hoochie Koo with Mean Gene was a nice addition to the Piledriver album. He is also responsible for Demolition's hugely popular entrance song--despite its absence from recent video releases. But, Real American is by far the most recognizable wrestling entrance song ever and the man who gave it to us should have a recognized spot in the history of WWE.

Mike Tyson, William Perry, etc. all contributed in their own way--Donald Trump, both as an on-air talent and host of WMIV and V, absolutely. But, Derringer's contribution is much more long-standing and has had a bigger impact than any of them.

Rick Derringer for WWE Hall of Fame 2014. And have Demolition go in too...

This is a good idea. If they're going to induct individuals who were not weekly televised personalities, why not induct those who helped created the famous ring entrances we grew up knowing and loving. In addition to Rick Derringer for his theme music work, I'd say Jim Johnston should get a nod too.

Johnston is responsible for so many theme songs in WWE's history that it would be almost a farce to not induct him and put someone else in who made theme music for Superstars. Johnston is credited for creating The Undertaker's theme, The Rock, Big Show, Vince McMahon, and so many more. He's the man who can thank we pop hard or boo mercilessly when people's music hits.

So, yes. Rick Derringer is an excellent candidate for what he had contributed, but Jim Johnston is THE theme music guy who deserves the spot the most.

I have said this for quite some time. Next to Jimmy Hart he has contributed more to WWE through music than anyone. It was all stated but deserves repeating. "Real American" remains the most recognizable song in wrestling today. Fans all over are talking about marking out in anticipation of hearing it again upon HOLLYWOOD HULK HOGAN'S expected return.

"Demolition" is another well remembered theme that was used for several years. It was instantly recognizable and made fans say, "Uh, oh. Here they come!" As soon as it began.

Even in the music video department he contributed well. The affor mentioned Demolition theme lent itself well to the great visuals and action that made it work so well. And then of course there was his trademark song "Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo" where he sang a duet with Mean Gene Oakerlund in a hilariously enjoyable video.

Rick Derringer is definitely a good choice for the Hall of Fame. Maybe he can even perform the song live when HOLLYWOOD HULK HOGAN makes his entrance for his match.

I agree Jim Johnston deserves it as well. I think a video package done on RAW would be enough to inform people exactly who he is and legitimize his induction. I think these two gentleman, and others, not being inducted because they are unknown to many is wrong. Don't let the fans' ignorance prevent them getting their place in history stamped.

Personally, I think the worst part of the HOF induction ceremony is the fans. They act poorly and take away from what could and should be a very special, nostalgic, insightful evening. "One more match" and such chants are so cliche and mindless... I would love to hear from inductees-- who have contributed to the business in many ways-- share some stories, thank who they feel they should and get applause from their peers in attendance. Leave the drunks and people who don't appreciate anyone they haven't been told to appreciate outside. Most of them weren't even born when these men and women were entertaining people around the world. "The fans",as a whole, were a part of any superstars' history; but, the immature fools that make up most of the HOF audience are not "the fans" that inductees owe anything to. "Thank you, Joe Schmo. Clap, clap, clapclapclap" How corny...

Sit there, laugh at jokes, applaud when appropriate and shut up otherwise. You are not a part of that show. I say take the fans out of the HOF audience...let them watch on the network.

I can see Jim Johnston when you look at the sheer amount of behind the scenes contribution he's made to WWE. However...Rick Derringer? Yeah...not really seeing it. Rick Derringer did perform a couple of songs, such as the entrance theme for Demolition and a duet of Rock & Roll, Hoochie Koo with Mean Gene Okerlund appearing on the Piledriver: The Wrestling Album 2 release in 1987. However, I don't consider these two extremely limited and somewhat obscure recordings to be HOF worthy. At the end of the day, Rick Derringer is really a one hit wonder who's version of Rock & Roll, Hoochie Koo gave him his only top 25 single as a solo artist back in 1974.

I can see Jim Johnston when you look at the sheer amount of behind the scenes contribution he's made to WWE. However...Rick Derringer? Yeah...not really seeing it. Rick Derringer did perform a couple of songs, such as the entrance theme for Demolition and a duet of Rock & Roll, Hoochie Koo with Mean Gene Okerlund appearing on the Piledriver: The Wrestling Album 2 release in 1987. However, I don't consider these two extremely limited and somewhat obscure recordings to be HOF worthy. At the end of the day, Rick Derringer is really a one hit wonder who's version of Rock & Roll, Hoochie Koo gave him his only top 25 single as a solo artist back in 1974.

Thanks for recapping the facts I already listed. Great addition to the thread! Why are you talking about his music career outside of wrestling? Clearly, that has nothing to do with my argument for his WWF contributions. And you just blatantly IGNORE Real American?? You are entitled to your opinion, of course. However, your post is poorly constructed, ignorant and foolishly out of place. And, again, great job repeating my points. Added a lot to the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back