Greatest Album of All Time

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The other day I was at the store and I saw Michael Jackson's Thriller had a 25th Anniversary Edition. If my memory is right, it is still the greatest selling album of all time. But is it the best?

From the White Album to the Black Album, and from Pet Sounds to Stadium Arcadium, I've heard albums and cds called the greatest of all time. Probably close to a dozen could claim this title, but what is indeed the best? While music may be the most subjective of all forms of entertainment, some albums are seen as masterpieces by nearly everyone. So, the question is very simple. In your opinion, what is the greatest album of all time and why?

This question is IMPOSSIBLE to answer. With music hacked and slashed into over 100 sub-genres, it's impossible to nail down one album as the greatest ever. If you pick something new, somebody will play the "influenced by" card. If you pick something old, you get the "overrated because of the time period" card.

First off, take Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band OUT OF THE DISCUSSION. I hated that album. It sucked. Just a big pot smoking festival. SO OVER RATED. Just like the Beatles.

Fleetwood Mac, Rumours- This album is a top to bottom classic. So artistic, and it remains the 6th best selling album ever. Everybody wrote, everybody sang. So much passion in "Go Your Own Way," "Don't Stop," "Second Hand News," and "The Chain." This album is still regarded as an all-time great.

U2 - The Joshua Tree- A scathing look at America as "the land of opportunity," as well as the inner quest to discover spirituality. "Where the Streets Have No Name," I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," and "With or Without You." Amazing work. It also took America's foreign policy practices to task, and launched Ireland's greatest contribution to rock music (yes, Polley, ahead of Van Morrison) into the stratousphere of world politics.

Hotel California - The Eagles- The absolute crux of greatness for a terrific band. Joe Walsh's influence was immediately noticed, moving The Eagles from country-rock to a harder sound. "Life in the Fast Lane" with it's driving intro, the dual-meanings in "Hotel California" taking on everything from American overindulgance and the fear of loss inherent in all people, and "New Kid in Town." This album was a risk for the band. It paid off.

The Wall - Pink Floyd- Dear God, this album still packs SUCH a punch. How dark is this progressive rock album? What a masterpeice! Each song representing a new event in his life, and each event creating a new "Brick in the Wall," song writer Roger Water's societal isolation. This album was unforgiving, damaging, harsh, and the film it spawned took no prisoners.

It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back - Public Enemy- P.E. came out strong with their original work, but this, their 2nd album, hit harder and faster. No apologies, no remorse. On virtually every "All-Time" list, this is the top rated R&B or Rap Opus. "Bring the Noise," "Don't Believe the Hype," "Rebel Without a Pause," "Party for your Right to Fight," and so on. The album also had several rock influences, including the song "Louder Than a Bomb" being a direct influence from "Louder Than Bombs" by The Smiths.

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John- Elton opened his head wide for this work, which was released as a double-album due to the amount of material he had for it. "Funeral for a Friend / Love Lies Bleeding" remains one of the greatest songs of all time, "Candle in the Wind" is a cultural mainstay, "Bennie and the Jets," the title track "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road," and the uber-popular "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting." WOW, what great work this was! Bump.

In my opinion the greatest album of all time is:

The Queen is Dead - The Smiths

There is no bad song on the album, which is always a good sign. The combination of Morrissey's lyrics and voice, and Marr's stunning guitar are irresistible. From the catchy "Some Girls are Bigger Than Others" to the brilliant "The Boy with the Thorn in his Side," this was in my opinion the Smiths' peak. It also featured the song that topped MTV Two's Indie 500, "There Is A LIght That Never Goes Out."

All in all a superb album and highly recommended to anyone who has never listened to the Smiths. I don't expect many people to agree with me but then again music appeals to different people and there is no undisputed greatest album of all time.

Honorable Mentions: London Calling - The Clash
Nevermind - Nirvana

First off, take Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band OUT OF THE DISCUSSION. I hated that album. It sucked. Just a big pot smoking festival. SO OVER RATED. Just like the Beatles.

I've officially lost a ridiculious amount of respect for you IC25. Did you honestly just say Sgt. Pepper's sucked? Are you fucking JOKING me? Wow. Just wow. You officially have ZERO fucking taste IC, ZERO. I suppose you hate the Godfather as well? What is wrong with you?

"Big pot smoking festival"? That is easily one of the stupidest things I've ever read, ever. How in any way is that album a "big pot smoking festival"? Yeah, whenever I hear "When I'm Sixty Four" the first thing I think of is smoking pot. Are you high yourself? So the theme song from the Wonder Years, that's just a big pot smoking anthem as well right?

Absolutely ZERO merit to what you've just said. None. And to say the Beatles are overrated is pretty absurd; to even attempt to argue that they are not the most important rock band ever is ridiculious.

Seriously, I'm dumbfounded by this comment. I would REALLY like you to explain exactly what about that album is overrated or makes it a "big pot smoking festival"? And the last time I checked, drug use had zero relevancy to music quality. So if you hate that album for being a "pot smoking festival", you must then logically hate every album by the Doors, Rolling Stones, and the Who? And taking a look at your list...you have the Wall by Pink Floyd. Are you joking me? How can you possibly criticize Sgt. Peppers for being all about pot smoking and then praise a Pink Floyd album? That is HARDCORE hypocrisy.

The Wall - Pink Floyd- Dear God, this album still packs SUCH a punch. How dark is this progressive rock album? What a masterpeice! Each song representing a new event in his life, and each event creating a new "Brick in the Wall," song writer Roger Water's societal isolation. This album was unforgiving, damaging, harsh, and the film it spawned took no prisoners.

Right band, wrong album. I would say Dark Side Of The Moon is the best album of all time. Firstly, compared to The Wall, it has more memorable songs. The musicianship on DSOTM is far and beyond anything else on the radio in 1973. For example, Money (One of the most popular songs on the album), doesn't even have the usual time signature of 4, Roger Waters stepped it up to 7 at times in the song. I'm just going to stop there because there's plenty to say about every song on the album. Not a single filler song in it...

Led Zeppelin IV- Led Zeppelin

The legend of this nameless album will forever be praised. It doesn't matter if you call it Runes, Zoso, or simply the fourth album, it remains one of the greatest albums of all times. We can start off with the songs that appear on the album. "Stairway to Heaven" is considered to be the greatest song of all time, and it rightfully is, for slightly over eight minutes, it is a dream. It is coupled with "The Battle of Evermore", its epic sister on the album. "Black Dog" sets the tone for the makings of one of the greatest quartets, equalled with "Rock and Roll". Once the album gets into the second half, You are upped with the pairing of "Misty Mountain Hop" converged with "Four Sticks". That is it for that part, when you slowly make the descent into Zeppelin's hidden masterpiece, "Going To California". The album ends with probably my second favorite Zeppelin Song, "When The Levee Breaks". I would say it is one of, if not the greatest albums ever, and is the reason why this "heavy metal" band of the time was able to sell over 40 million copies.

Wow. This is probably the most debateable question on this entire forum. How would you even begin to list criteria for what would be the "greatest" album of all time? There is very little outside of the Hard rock genre that I really like, so my idea of the greatest album could be laughable to some people.

I think there have been several good albums mentioned thus far, but some I have to completely disagree with. Someone mentioned Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. I hate this album. I think the use of random machines such as typewriters and cash registers is ridiculous. Someone else mentioned that Sgt. Pepper was a terrible album. Another opinion I disagree with. I think it was brilliant from start to finish.

So what is the greatest album ever? I have no fucking clue. There are a few that I think are flawless from front to back. I don't know if that constitutes great, but here they are:

Metallica - The Black Album: As a huge fan of Metallica I don't necessarily think this is the band's finest work but this album is flawless. Each song is a masterpiece both lyrically and musically. It was metal, but it was also radio friendly which is a very rare thing, especially back in 1991.

Alanis Morrisette - Jagged Little Pill: Haven't heard a song since that I like by her, but this album is phenomenal. It's a blend of rock and pop at it's finest. The topics she covers are so heartfelt and powerful. Truly gripping.

Guns N Roses - Appetite For Distruction: What a great, great album. I can't think of many other bands that have such a tremendous reputation for only producing 1 album with the original line up. But what a work of art it is. It yielded argueably 3 of the greatest rock singles of all time.

Alanis Morrisette - Jagged Little Pill: Haven't heard a song since that I like by her, but this album is phenomenal. It's a blend of rock and pop at it's finest. The topics she covers are so heartfelt and powerful. Truly gripping.

Yes. Great, great album.

I'm going to have to be different here and go with Eminem's Marshall Mathers LP album. This is probably the most critical and financial selling album in hip-hop history, and rightfully so, because it is beyond amazing.

From the opening song (looking past the opening skit), “Kill You”, you know you’re in for something special. Then from that, you go to “Stan”, which tells one of the greatest stories in music history, so by track three, you’re already fucking blown away. And then after that, you have some more great skits to go along with GREAT tracks such as “Who Knew”, “The Way I am”, “The Real Slim Shady” (though by the time you actually buy the album, you’re pretty sick of this song, but years later, you come to appreciate its funness again), "I'm Back", "Marshall Mathers", “Drug Ballad”, “Amityville” (which is the first time for most to get to hear Bizarre rap), “Bitch Please II”, "Under the Influence", and "Criminal".

Now, right after “Bitch Please II” and before “Under the Influence”, you also get one of the greatest, most shocking songs ever created in “Kim”. There was never a song before that, and there has never been a song since that, that has blown me away like “Kim” did. That track is unfuckingbelievable. Some might be disgusted by it, but that song is a fucking thrill ride and makes the price of the album worth it all by itself.

However, like I’ve already mentioned, that song is not by itself, but it’s with 17 other amazing songs and skits, in which case making this one of the greatest albums ever created, and also my personal favorite album ever.

This question is nearly fucking impossible to answer with any semblance of cohesive reasoning...so let's do it. I'm going to have to say "The Chirping Crickets" by Buddy Holly and The Crickets. Now before everyone wants to lynch me, hear me out. Holly's work went on to influence several of the top acts who in turn inlfluenced scores of others. The Beatles and the Rolling Stones were two of the primary ones who cited Holly as a motivator and influence. As far as Rock and Roll is concerned, I'm definitely going with Holly.

Yet again, I would say wrong album. Although many consider it a sell out album, The Black Album was far and beyond the best and most influential album. It did more for metal than most metal heads would be willing to admit. And I think that has something to do with the whole sell out thing again. The more radio friendliness brought in droves of fans for the band and finally gave them the recognition they truly deserved. Although, I think more credit should go to Bob Rock, who produced the album, for giving Metallica the tools for what they did...

I listen to way too much music to narrow this down to even 2...Here's a brief list of a few:

Guns 'N' Roses ~ Appetite For Destruction - You can argue it steered rock away from hair metal, and has some of the greatest rock songs ever made in Sweet Child O' Mine, Welcome To The Jungle, and Paradise City. The "filler" songs are amazing as well (Rocket Queen, Mr. Nightrain)

Led Zeppelin II - IV is a great album, and you can definitely argue that Led Zep didn't have a bad song, outside of The Crunge, but II is my favorite album from them, and it isn't even close. Whole Lotta Love and Heartbreaker / Living Loving Maid are quite possible the best love-making music there is, and then you add in The Lemon Song and What Is And Should Never Be, as well as the greatest drum solo ever, and you have a legendary record.

Nirvana ~ Nevermind - If Guns 'N' Roses saved rock from hair metal, this album saved rock from what was looking like a sure death. It completely changed the face of rock, and for every rock band out there today, this is the most influential record from the 80's and 90's. I could go on and on, but I'll save some space and just move on.

Red Hot Chili Pepper ~ Blood Sugar Sex Magik - This album paved the way for everything that RHCP came to be, and for every current group that blends rap with rock. There isn't a bad song on the album, and is an essential to own. This record gets a lot of credit for being good, but is all too often left out of this discussion. It could be the album that cements RHCP's spot in Cleveland.

'm going to have to be different here and go with Eminem's Marshall Mathers LP

Eminem's first three albums could all be possibilities. Slim Shady LP, Marshall Mathers LP, and The Eminem Show were all amazing albums. However, I'm going to go back a little bit in time and say that Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) is the greatest album of all time.

With classic songs like Protect Ya Neck, Can It Be All So Simple, and C.R.E.A.M, this album didn't have a bad track on it. It also had a great influence on many other hip hop legends. This album paved the way for more hardcore rap on the East Coast, much like NWA did for the West Coast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back