Go Away Jose

ztwhite

The Future Mr. Kelly Kelly
Seriously. Just get this douche off my television.

He was barely watchable in the ring at NXT when he actually wrestled, and the dancing could at least be justified on that product.

But he’s on Raw — the flagship show — and it’s just not entertaining, funny, enjoyable, etc... it’s a total waste of a segment. And they actually let him pin Baron Corbin! A guy who’s reportedly considered to be destined for a huge push since Vince loves him.

Adam Rose couldn’t make the gimmick work... and it’s the same identical gimmick without the crappy accent. Brodus Clay had his 15 minutes, but that fizzled fast too.

The worst call-up
Totally agree, even a heel turn will not work. If he is not totally repackaged

Yeah, he's not for me. At least Adam Rose had some thought and money put behind him. A rented bunny costume would be a huge help to Jose. It looks like they sent Barb in wardrobe to a Party City with $20 to dress up his entourage. I don't know what you do with him. He probably ends up in a tag team or group. Who knows? Maybe there is talent there, I just don't see it.

Disagree on the Baron Corbin stuff. Everyone should pin that guy.

I don't mind him that much, but I probably wouldn't notice if he disappeared. His gimmick doesn't relate to his ring work, he's basically the Caribbean Disco Inferno. He dances his way to the ring, sometimes he dances in the ring. For the most part, he does basic moves though. Kids probably find it amusing, but for me I just want to see him wrestle well.

If the WWE is dead-set on making this work, they need to give him moves that employ his dancing skills.

I don't get the "No-Way" part of his gimmick. Is it that there's "no-way" that his opponents could beat him? He needs to incorporate that in some relatable way as well, right now it's just some vague means of invoking a cheap chant from the crowd.

Yeah they must've not remembered that this didn't work for Adam Rose either. Just a novelty act that's not gonna work and he'll be relegated to Main Event and only house shows soon. Hell, he didn't even perform in NXT for the past few months I believe before he was brought up.

I'm in the minority here, but I kind of like No Way Jose.

A few things I disliked about his debut was that they didn't darken the arena during his entrance like they did in NXT and that congo line HAS to go, but overall I look forward to seeing were he goes. For once, I am interested in a feud involving Baron Corbin.

If the WWE is dead-set on making this work, they need to give him moves that employ his dancing skills.
He does incorporate the gimmick into his move-set, at least in the matches of his that I have seen. I remember he had a match against one of the guys in SaNitY and he had the guy in a headlock, twirled him around (sort of like ballroom dancing style) and hip tossed him. I also like the baseball punch finisher he used in his NXT debut match.

I'm hoping his feud with Corbin is similar to the feud against Austin Aries. Setting the ground work that he can be serious and have fun, but I doubt it. He's young and has a decent size, even if the gimmick fails, he can easily be repackaged.

I knew when he first started on the NXT roster that this wouldn't work in today's environment. It's not a knock on the guy behind the character because I'm sure that He's a really good performer but this is such a 80's wwe gimmick. If we we're in a different era, maybe this gimmick would be a midcard character but today's It's a lower card c level gimmick.

This should have been killed off while in NXT because at less there you can repackage somebody and it doesn't matter now It's too late.

He doesn't do much for me, but I'm not surprised he's there because Vince is known to love non-threatening, comedy mid-card guys. Everything about Jose seems like it's catered towards some things that Vince enjoys.

To be honest, with just a few tweaks, I think he'd be a perfect fit for a fourth member of New Day. He's all about having a good time, always full of positive energy, always dancing around all over the place, etc.. Unless that happens though, he's ultimately mid-card fodder.

This is the same thread that pops up any time one of these lighter or kid friendly gimmicks comes along. Jose just doesn’t cater to us hardcore fans. He’s not an indie darling or remarkable character. He’s not even the best dancer we’ve seen in wrestling – that makes up 90% of his gimmick.

The other thing he represents is a potential Latin star for WWE, though Adam Rose meets Disco Inferno meets Carlito Caribbean Cool seems like a bad place to find one. Of course, the requirement of a Latino star is for WWE’s bottom line. We as fans should be less interested in the demographics and more interested in the quality of that star. Eddie Guerrero was one of the greatest wrestlers of all time and he mas Latino, he was not one of the greatest because he was Latino. That’s just part of the overall package, and not the underlying contributing factor.

No Way Jose is for the children. Why on Earth did he go over Baron Corbin? Do they see Jose as being a top guy? The answer simply is no, the answer is more complex.

Someone is WWE believes you can generate heat through losing matches. That it’s a good look for a wrestler to lose to an underdog, only to beat up the babyface and look evil in the process. This is why Jose went over – to generate heat for Corbin.

This isn’t new. The Bar just lost to Titus Worldwide while they were the number one contenders for the tag titles. Sin Cara seems to suddenly show up and pull a win over some heel who should be pushed, then vanishes off TV. Wade Barrett was often a victim of this, often while IC champion. Someone at WWE creative thinks heat can be generated from losing.

This is fundamentally backwards. In no way (pun intended) was this meant to get Jose over, this loss was meant to get Corbin over as a heel. Jose dances and smiles – the kids will love him regardless.

Someone has to be the kid friendly act. Yes, I’d rather my wrestling shows be balls to the walls action, but I recognize that I’m not the only fan watching WWE. I’d rather see anyone in Jose’s spot, but here we are. Maybe No Way Jose will evolve into one of our favourites? Who would have thought Aiden English would be this over with a singing gimmick? Who would have thought Drew McIntyre would return as a bruiser after 3MB. Then there’s always the Jinder defense.

Give him time. He’ll go away or he’ll sit in the undercard and eventually start a tag team. Corbin taking the L was meant to get him over. It probably won’t. Corbin needs to move away from the weird loser gimmick that he’s cultivated. Look at how Braun developed despite being in the favour of the WWE machine. They can do it with Corbin, but not with him constantly looking up at the lights.

The only time I ever found NWJ remotely interesting is in NXT when Austin Aries got up on the announce table and pretended to dance with him. Then proceeded to beat the heck out of Jose.

Boy you people sure sound like a gaggle of fun. He's not meant to be anything serious. He's a nice, fun character for opening cards and for some fun fan interaction. And for a bit of ethnic connection. That's all. But here you people are. Pissing and moaning. "Oh this guy sucks." Really? What, you're going to tell me with a straight face Jinder Mahal would be a better wrestler or more entertaining entrance?

I don't like the guy. He was annoying in NXT and I doubt he ever ends up being anything more than a comedic relief guy. He's basically a less entertaining version of Adam Rose, and without having the bunny for a sidekick. I may not like him, but there's still value in such a character. He can get the crowd fired up with his antics (those who do like it, anyway) and then get squashed by heels who need a win to look more intimidating in their own feuds. He sucks in my opinion although characters like that absolutely have their place. So, there's a reason for him to be in the spot he is. Maybe he could fit in with the New Day somehow, that could be good. It's the only idea I can think of.

I don't get this mentality on how comic relief is a symbol of suckitude. There are at least a dozen far less interesting people I could point at right now that have been on television for more than a decade that don't have any flavor whatsoever - some even world champions. No Way Jose is there to be a fun guy. That's it. The show needs its humor. Sure it parallels Adam Rose a bit, but every talent I've seen lately is a copy of older talent. He does have a lot more going for him in the way of culture (and let's be fucking honest, Jose is more culture than some of you experience).

Adam Rose was also completely undermined because they put more money in his posse. People on principle are going to be more interested in a guy in a bunny costume over just about everything else. If Cena came out with a group and one was wearing a unicorn costume, the unicorn would be all the talk on forums. That and fans couldn't let go of Leo Kruger.

Y'all the reason why Baron Corbin is on my TV.

Vince remains hell bent on trying to have an act for every audience and age group. No Way Jose is the latest attempt to appeal to the 10 years old and younger crowd. He won't be the last, either.

I'm not opposed to the WWE having comedic, jovial, fun-loving characters who are supposed to pump up the crowd and have a decent mid-card match.

There's been a lot of them in different forms: The Hurricane was pretending to be a superhero, but it was fun ... and he brought in Rosey: Super Hero In Training, also fun ... then there was Santino Marella, Cobra and all his dancing and comedic words and actions ...

Some worked better than others. Hurricane and Santino were able to balance being fun and 'silly' with entertaining in the ring and believable enough to have some success and fan support.

And let's be honest, if you are a WWE fan, you must have liked some more comedic characters in the past ... that's just been part of WWE for so long, if you've become a fan at any point there must be some sort of acceptance to the comic relief role in pro wrestling.

I will say, the comedic relief role is a TOUGH one to do right. If it's too hokey or too obnoxious then it is too hard to suspend disbelief or enjoy.

Now, as for No Way Jose ...

I'm not particularly a fan of this gimmick, but I won't right if off yet. I'll see it develop. I'd like to see a good feud where a heel can make the fans care about what happens to No Way Jose. Maybe Jose can do a promo where he explains what he stands for to gain more support from the fans.

And, if his segments are kept relatively short with more or less mid-lower card guys then it should be fine.

I don't get this mentality on how comic relief is a symbol of suckitude. There are at least a dozen far less interesting people I could point at right now that have been on television for more than a decade that don't have any flavor whatsoever - some even world champions. No Way Jose is there to be a fun guy. That's it. The show needs its humor. Sure it parallels Adam Rose a bit, but every talent I've seen lately is a copy of older talent. He does have a lot more going for him in the way of culture (and let's be fucking honest, Jose is more culture than some of you experience).

Adam Rose was also completely undermined because they put more money in his posse. People on principle are going to be more interested in a guy in a bunny costume over just about everything else. If Cena came out with a group and one was wearing a unicorn costume, the unicorn would be all the talk on forums. That and fans couldn't let go of Leo Kruger.

Y'all the reason why Baron Corbin is on my TV.

Because people can't let themselves sit back and be entertained. It's sad really. They think everything has to be great match, no entertainment, straight from the indies looking type of entertainment. I don't have any doubt every single one of these people that are calling No Way Jose "trash" and whatnot are the exact same ones that absolutely LOVED Perry Saturn and Moppy. They probably LOVED Al Snow and Head. It's funny because he says "Everybody wants head. It's a sexual innuendo and it's on my tv. Get it? lolololololol". Those are the people we're talking about here.

WWE is an entertainment show... almost variety show... that shows wrestling. It's been that way for a long long time. So suck it up and accept it.

NWJ is terrible didn't they do this with Adam Rose, at least Adam looked like a Wrestler. He is a mid carder at best he will never win a title. He is just an attraction on Raw to fill some time in the 3 hour show. New Day is getting to be like this they need to toughen up with three of them they can beat on people. Elias at least has an edge to him he will win some titles in his future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back