Future Wrestlemania cities

Terry Gyimah

Championship Contender
However, as far as future WrestleMania cities then the host cities who should host future WrestleMania that definitely deserve to host it are:

- University of Phoenix Stadium (Glendale, Arizona)
- Rogers Centre (Toronto, Ontario, Canada)
- Mercedes-Benz Stadium (Atlanta, Georgia)
- Lucas Oil Stadium (Indianapolis, Indiana)
- Las Vegas Stadium (Las Vegas, Nevada)
- U.S. Bank Stadium (Minneapolis, Minnesota)
- Los Angeles Stadium at Hollywood Park (Los Angeles, California)
- Lincoln Financial Field (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
- Wembley Stadium (London, England)

Wembley will never hold it because I highly doubt that WWE will ever do another Big 4 PPV that won't air live in the United States.

Los Angeles Stadium would be tricky because of the same lighting issues that plagued 31, as entrances like Bray Wyatt and Finn Balor work better in Low Light.

I would love to see Toronto host another Mania, but I'm afraid that the Rogers Centre doesn't seat enough. The WWE seems to be going for bigger and better, here in Canada we just don't have the size stadiums the WWE likes. With Mania always held in late March or early April, you need an indoor stadium, especially at that time of year here.

As for the UK, unfortunately they won't get one of the big four, but I can see them getting a B PPV. It would be a start anyway.

I have seen a lot of stadia mentioned o this post. Do you know I am surprised that one stadium in Canada was not mentioned for a WrestleMania: Montreal's Olympic Stadium.

Before anyone laughs, I am being serious. Why not? It has a retractable roof. It could seat about 75'000 for Mania. It is close enough to the US media centers that you could get a huge population driving in for it. This could really work.

I have seen a lot of stadia mentioned o this post. Do you know I am surprised that one stadium in Canada was not mentioned for a WrestleMania: Montreal's Olympic Stadium.

Before anyone laughs, I am being serious. Why not? It has a retractable roof. It could seat about 75'000 for Mania. It is close enough to the US media centers that you could get a huge population driving in for it. This could really work.

I didn't even think of that one considering the age and condition of the stadium itself. For some reason they have never been able to put a proper roof on it. I think it is on it's third or fourth, with most of them either tearing or falling into the stadium. Better off just demolishing the structure before it kills someone really.

As for location it is perfect. Close enough to Toronto, New York and Boston for fans to drive, and Montreal is a beautiful city with a good transit system. Most people in the city are bilingual especially in hotels and shopping centres so there wouldn't be a language barrier.

Wembley works if they do a dual venue... say MSG and Wembley. Make Mania 2 hours shows with a "half time" in the middle. Have the Wembley portion first and Cena or whoever open the show, get on a plane, head to MSG in time for the main event of the second.

As for the UK, unfortunately they won't get one of the big four, but I can see them getting a B PPV. It would be a start anyway.

I don't live in the UK, so I am really asking... Would they care about a B PPV being held there? Don't get me wrong, I think most cities--whether London or Trenton--would enjoy a PPV being held there. But, for the craving the UK seems to have for Mania, would a B PPV--or honestly, even a Survivor Series or SummerSlam--really be enough for them? (I only left Rumble because it is such a unique event and a Big 4 PPV, I thought maybe that would be enough for those in the UK..for now)

It seems to me that Mania, and all that comes with it, is what the UK fans are really after. Mania has a feeling that no other event can capture and I wonder if any sort of B show would even wet their whistle.

This is an increasing problem that WWE will have in the coming years... as they expand, more territories will want PPV to be hosted there, yet if WWE is reluctant to host one in the UK which is it's most allied territory, then how do they handle it when China ask for one? "No cos our American fans won't buy it or watch..."?

There is a sense that they've been waiting for that "killer" British star to headline it... Drew could now be that person in a year or two, but the reality is fans would feel cheated now by anything but a AAA type show, we'd sell out Wembley for Mania, Summeslam or The Rumble... Maybe Survivor Series or MITB at a push, but Backlash nope...

That might come across as an insult to UK fans and damage their chances here.

It comes down to perceptions, WWE wants the global reach without losing the US focus... that's not gonna fly in this next decade, as these territories can easily say "no thanks" to them.

It comes down to this, if UFC can do it in the UK, if World title Boxing can, WWE can... they choose not to.

WWE should really try having PPV's in England,Irland and Japan, they have enough stars from those countries.

I'll be selfish and hope Wrestlemania comes to Indy sometime soon. It's roughly a two hour drive from me so I'd definitely attend the show and all it's festivities. Not to mention, it's centrally located in the United States and is within short driving distance from a handful of major US cities. They'd have no problem selling it out.

Lucas Oil Stadium has a mechanized retractable roof and sits around 70,000 people for football games. Plus, there's nearly 40,000 parking spots within walking distance of the stadium so that's gotta count for something.

WWE should really try having PPV's in England,Irland and Japan, they have enough stars from those countries.

If WWE doesn't feel they'll generate the sort of revenue and ticket sales that they deem appropriate, it won't happen and that's understandable.

WWE's primary audience is in the United States, its where they make the vast majority of their revenue so that has to be a top factor in every decision or strategy that they devise. I have little doubt WWE could sell out WrestleMania in London, England, for instance, but the time difference between the United States and the UK is a factor that they've considered. It's not as major as one might expect as when it's 8 pm for the UK, I think it's either 2 or 3 pm EST in the United States so American fans could still watch live or watch it later via the WWE Network if they wanted.

Now it's a different story with Japan as 8 pm for Japan is somewhere along the lines of 3 am EST in the US. Even with the WWE Network, I think there'd be more of a possibility of some fans just reading what went down, reviews, play by play, etc. via wrestling web sites instead of watching the show itself.

At some point, I think there'll be a WrestleMania in London as British fans have been rabid for wanting the show there over the years. As for Japan, I think WWE would be better off doing some sort of special along the lines of the Beast in the East show they ran a few years back or possibly doing something with NXT IF Vince continued to allow Triple H to call the shots for the show like he does almost the entirety of the time for NXT in general. If the show does well in terms of network viewership and in how it's received, maybe something bigger could be planned for later.

Obviously I'd love for WrestleMania to come back to Toronto since I live there, but I definitely think within the next 3 years we will see WrestleMania in Las Vegas. It's a great city, with easy access for traveling fans, lots of other attractions for fans to enjoy throughout the week, and most importantly a brand new stadium to host the show. It's basically a lock that WrestleMania goes there.

WrestleMania in Vegas would also allow for some fun set designs and promotional stuff like how the New Orleans vibe was incorporated into the marketing for this year's WrestleMania. A slogan like WrestleMania: Viva Las Vegas, or some usage of the "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" saying would make sense. Maybe some kind of RAW Roulette gimmick for the crazy RAW after Mania show.

I don't live in the UK, so I am really asking... Would they care about a B PPV being held there? Don't get me wrong, I think most cities--whether London or Trenton--would enjoy a PPV being held there. But, for the craving the UK seems to have for Mania, would a B PPV--or honestly, even a Survivor Series or SummerSlam--really be enough for them? (I only left Rumble because it is such a unique event and a Big 4 PPV, I thought maybe that would be enough for those in the UK..for now)

It seems to me that Mania, and all that comes with it, is what the UK fans are really after. Mania has a feeling that no other event can capture and I wonder if any sort of B show would even wet their whistle.

They do about two UK tours a year, include a PPV in one of them. I don't see anything wrong with them doing something like Money in the Bank on a Sunday at the O, then on Monday you can have RAW, Tuesday have SD.

MITB is a dual branded PPV, and it's big enough to qualify for an overseas venue. Plus NXT could do a Takover on the Saturday night before it. Is there any British fan that would be unhappy with 4 days of WWE wrestling coming to their country. I know when we got Survivor Series a year or so ago at the ACC we were thrilled and I for one are waiting for more. At least it would be a start.

We can't even seem to get Mania back in Toronto and I would see it coming here before it went overseas, but then again stranger things have happened.

The revenue isn't the issue with the UK, they book Wembley for Mania or a AAA level show and it will sell out in seconds. They can't or won't seemingly risk the American audience...and more importantly to them, the bidding hoopla cities go through.

If we're being brutally truthful, London probably wouldn't pay/lay on what American cities do for Mania in terms of perks/tax breaks/events etc. I can't imagine a Tory government rushing to do it, nor Sadiq Khan (Mayor of London)... Brexit probably plays a part too as it muddies the waters for work permits/financially.

The reason for London not having it yet may have been based in part on American fans not liking the time etc... but in truth, WWE bilks everything it can out the host cities just to be selected. We get a World Cup or Olympics, the great British taxpayer will stump up, for Vince's circus? nope.

Personally if anyone deserves it its the UK, The UK has been so loyal to the WWE and we seen how successful Summerslam 92 was, We have had well over 30 now and not one has hinted at coming to the UK, The time difference isn't a major problem it could still be shown live on Sunday late afternoon/Evening instead of late night in the US especially on the east coast where we are only 5 hours ahead, I'm sure most attending wouldn't even mind a later than normal finish to the event for me I would be so grateful to be attending a Wrestlemania I would happily leave the arena at 2am if I had to. If WWE really wanted to I'm sure they could make the time difference work, Sometimes I think the WWE takes its UK fans for granted they charge us more over here for everything including the network, DVD's, Live event tickets and figures etc, Just give us it once, One time only. You would even get other European countries coming over for it I'm sure so there would be no shortage of interest. I would even settle for a French Wrestlemania as its close enough to attend. Imagine the atmosphere and excitement of the crowd from 30 plus years of waiting for the event it would be incredible.

At this point, is there really a stadium in the U.S. or around the world where the WWE could draw a larger crowd than the one set in Dallas? We can automatically disqualify “the world” because Mania will never take place outside the U.S. It’s just not feasible or sensical for the company’s bottom line.

That being said, I believe Mania will soon be all about the setting and atmosphere a city can present. I’m kind of surprised they chose to go back to New Orleans this year. It’s kind of the been there, done that thing.

I think it’s a no brainer that Minneapolis will host in the next couple of years at its new stadium, especially following the Super Bowl. It’s going back to Miami fairly soon. Dallas, Houston, and Detroit will also see the show again in the future.

I believe there was talk of MSG (New York) and Philly for next year, but it won’t be at Lincoln Financial Field. Way too cold in April in eastern Pennsylvania for an outdoor venue.

Indy is kind of an obvious destination since Lucas Oil Stadium is freaking massive. But here’s why it won’t host Mania — the NFL Combine takes place there every year and it’s damn near always at the same time as Mania. The WWE needs weeks to set up for Mania and it logistically can’t work due to the NFL.

Indy is kind of an obvious destination since Lucas Oil Stadium is freaking massive. But here’s why it won’t host Mania — the NFL Combine takes place there every year and it’s damn near always at the same time as Mania. The WWE needs weeks to set up for Mania and it logistically can’t work due to the NFL.

That's actually not quite the case. The NFL Combine is usually from February to early March. If WWE holds off on Wrestlemania until April like they've done the last few years, it shouldn't be an issue. For example, the NFL combine this year is from February 27-March 5. Wrestlemania is on April 8. There'd be a butt-load of time for WWE to come in and take over Indy for the week. With the right scheduling, it wouldn't be an issue.

Obviously, I'm biased, as I've lived in Indianapolis my whole life, attended Wrestlemania VIII in 1992 (my second live wrestling event), but we're long overdue to hold Wrestlemania again (although not as overdue as Minneapolis, St. Louis, and London of course).

I think the biggest thing holding us back is just that we've never really been a strong market for WWE compared to other place. Now I think at this point it wouldn't matter, because even if WWE can't sell out Lucas Oil from just Hoosiers, there's plenty of people across the country and the world that would come like every year to guarantee a sell-out. But WWE may not be thinking of that, and remembering Wrestlemania VIII not selling out and even the WWE Main Event from February 1988 where the live attendance was dismal compared to the record-breaking ratings the show got.

Plus, Indianapolis unfortunately gets the shaft from all kinds of acts in entertainment, not just WWE. I can't tell you how many times I get mad when I see music acts coming to Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Louisville, Kentucky, but will skip Indianapolis on their tours for whatever reason.

Indianapolis is the "Rodney Dangerfield" of major U.S. cities. We can't get no respect lol.

I think it's time for WWE to consider London, England to host WM. The fact the first "W" in WWE stands for world and they have only hosted WM outside the Unted States twice is a bit strange. Especially when you consider that the WWE gets the royal treatment whenever they are outside the United Stataes while the WWE is seen as kind of a joke in the United States.

The only argument I hear about not hosting the WWE outside North America is the time zone issue. Which I find less and less of a reason each year. Reasons being are:

1.) WWE has the Network which makes it possible to watch WM on your own schedule.

2.) I often hear the other reason is that it makes it inconvient for most people in the US due to the time zone difference and that they will get spoilers. Well I say imagine how it is for fans outside North America in having to either wake up at a ridiculous time or have to catch the replays (with avoiding facebook or twitter) every time a WWE PPV is on? If fans outside North America have to endure this for almost every PPV I am sure folks in North America can do the same for one out of the 30+ WM's. Plus there's already the Network that makes things easier. Back then I would get WWE PPV shows 2 weeks delayed so I would have to spend a week or two (if I can get access to the show) w/o looking at the Internet. So yeah a little sacrafice for your fellow fans outside the Continent would go a long way. :)

There is a sense that they've been waiting for that "killer" British star to headline it... Drew could now be that person in a year or two, but the reality is fans would feel cheated now by anything but a AAA type show, we'd sell out Wembley for Mania, Summeslam or The Rumble... Maybe Survivor Series or MITB at a push, but Backlash nope...

Drew is Scottish so I am not sure how much will be that kind of draw unless people from Scotland will attend WM (which will likely happen).

At this point, is there really a stadium in the U.S. or around the world where the WWE could draw a larger crowd than the one set in Dallas? We can automatically disqualify “the world” because Mania will never take place outside the U.S. It’s just not feasible or sensical for the company’s bottom line.

That being said, I believe Mania will soon be all about the setting and atmosphere a city can present. I’m kind of surprised they chose to go back to New Orleans this year. It’s kind of the been there, done that thing.

I think it’s a no brainer that Minneapolis will host in the next couple of years at its new stadium, especially following the Super Bowl. It’s going back to Miami fairly soon. Dallas, Houston, and Detroit will also see the show again in the future.

I believe there was talk of MSG (New York) and Philly for next year, but it won’t be at Lincoln Financial Field. Way too cold in April in eastern Pennsylvania for an outdoor venue.

So you see outside the US as never going to happen, you dismiss Indy and NOLA, which have both hosted Mania before and you think MSG is going to happen again. You seemingly also don’t realize they were just at AT&T Stadium. Other than that, great insight!

The non-existent NFL combine issue, 1988 attendance history, the delusion that location will determine whether or not it sells out—these are all terribly foolish responses. I’m sorry, but these reasons are completely irrelevant. Mania is huge and it will sellout anywhere. Come on, guys. The number of people in attendance for Hulk/Andre 30 years ago goes into the decision for 2020 and beyond??? Why can’t you just make a case for where you want it and stop shooting down the chances of other places? Especially when your reasons are so ridiculously silly.
By the way, unless you’re one of the people going to the event, who cares where it is? You’re telling me as you watch it you’re thinking “I wish they were in another stadium in another city that would look exactly the same from the inside.”? Just nonsensical arguments and suggestions.

2.) I often hear the other reason is that it makes it inconvient for most people in the US due to the time zone difference and that they will get spoilers. Well I say imagine how it is for fans outside North America in having to either wake up at a ridiculous time or have to catch the replays (with avoiding facebook or twitter) every time a WWE PPV is on? If fans outside North America have to endure this for almost every PPV I am sure folks in North America can do the same for one out of the 30+ WM's. Plus there's already the Network that makes things easier. Back then I would get WWE PPV shows 2 weeks delayed so I would have to spend a week or two (if I can get access to the show) w/o looking at the Internet. So yeah a little sacrafice for your fellow fans outside the Continent would go a long way. :)

WWE's biggest audience is in? America. WWE should cater to the US. You guys don't get what we do because we give them more money. Doing this to a US audience, who aren't used to waiting for the show/watching it at 2 am, would be dumb. Businesses don't care how loyal UK/whatever fans are. They care about money.

I assume shipping costs of equipment is another factor why they won't do an overseas Mania.

WWE's biggest audience is in? America. WWE should cater to the US. You guys don't get what we do because we give them more money. Doing this to a US audience, who aren't used to waiting for the show/watching it at 2 am, would be dumb. Businesses don't care how loyal UK/whatever fans are. They care about money.

that's the assumption that the WWE feels North American fans aren't willing to put up with either watching it live at an inconvienet time or can't wait to watch it when they can in the Network. I'm pretty sure most fans in the US wouldn't mind given the Network which is a flat monthly rate anyways.

that's the assumption that the WWE feels North American fans aren't willing to put up with either watching it live at an inconvienet time or can't wait to watch it when they can in the Network. I'm pretty sure most fans in the US wouldn't mind given the Network which is a flat monthly rate anyways.

I disagree. Mania is a big draw for the Network. Mania live is a draw. In order to maximize new subscribers, it should cater to the place with the most fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back