Foley's Best Non Hardcore Match

mrbrownstone

Fucking Hostile
So as we all know Mick Foley (or Mankind or Dude Love or Cactus Jack it dosent really matter) is best known as "the hardcore legend" and is most well remembered for his hardcore matches and deservingly so as he has some amazing hardcore matches in his time from HIAC to I Quit matches he has done it all however that isn't what this thread is about.

What this thread is about Mick's best non hardcore match, of which I am sure he has had many but they simply arent remembered as they are out shon by his classic hardcore matches.

To help you out let me define a what I consider to be a "non hardcore" match. I will be letiant with this as most of his best work came during the Attitude Era where most matches were brawls, so basically any match that dosent involve weapons is non hardcore, it can be a brawl all over the arena but it can't include weapons.

One more thing, tag matches count but only if Mick is involved for a good part of the match, he can't just be tagged in at the last minuite and pick up the win, so say something like Evolution vs Rock and Sock from WM 20 would be okay as Foley was in the ring for a good ten minuites for that match.

Basically that is all I have to say so I ask you WZ, What is Mick Foley's best non hardcore match? Perhaps you don't think he has had a good non hardcore match and he is just a glorified stunt man, if that is the case then please post and say why you think he hasnt had a good hardcore match.

Easily his match against Shawn Michaels at In Your House X: Mind Games, which is in my opinion is one of the greatest WWE Title matches of all time, and EASILY the greatest title match to ever end in a DQ.

Now, there were some hardcore spots in the match, but regardless... it was a regular Singles Match for the WWF Championship, and man... what a great one it was.

The match was about 30 minutes long, and it was simply a brutal, violent match that allowed both Michaels and Foley to cut loose tell one of the most entertaining stories ever told in a professional wrestling ring. Shawn's lucha libre, high flyin' style vs. Foley's hardcore devilish persona just made for a tremendous match, bottom line. Hell, even Foley calls it the greatest match he's ever been in... what more proof do you need?

Goes without saying that the WWF Title Match with HBK is by far the best "Non Hardcore" match Mick Foley's had.

Have to throw a shout out to his first WWF Title win on RAW. Yes, it's not the best match but it's certainly one of the most memorable of his career I think.

Best is the Mind Games match though. Awesome match!

Like the previous before me i also rate The In Your House WWF Championship Match against Shawn michaels as one of his best!

But the 3 on 2 Handicap Match from Wrestlemania XX was also good! Both Batista's/Orton's first Mania, Flair's impersonation of the People's Elbow, Rock doing the Flair strut, Foley's Elbow to the outside and the classic WOOOOOO *Punch* by The Rock! Makes me laugh everytime!

There were also a few Dude Love vs Steve Austin matches that were great. In WCW there were a few Cactus Jack vs Vader matches that were brutal, plus some in World Class. There was also a 2/3 falls match with Ric Flair where Flair won in 2 straight falls, a nice non-hardcore blowoff match with Al Snow (yeah I said it) and his early matches with The Rock in 1998.

But I guess nothing will beat Mind Games. Foley says it's his greatest match.

I concur. Foley vs Michaels at IYH. The only fault to this match was the screwjob ending when Vader interfered.

The problem was Vader and HBK just had their blowoff match in the second biggest ppv of the year at Summerslam. So having him do that didn't create a new fued, it only let Shawn not go over clean.

It all worked out well for Mick cause he was fueding with the Undertaker for the next few months, but it would have been great for him to have a extended fued with the best wrestler alive, then face UT at Wrestlemania

outside of the two most obvious choices already listed, vs. HBK at Mind Games and vs. the Rock on Raw for his first world title, i'll add one more for consideration.

Dude Love vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin at Over the Edge. this one told a great story in that these two were previous tag team champs together and now Dude Love was the corporate stooge. and speaking of, this match featured VKM as the guest referee, Pat Patterson and Gerald Briscoe as the time keeper and something else that just kept them at ringside to interfere. so Undertaker then showed up at ringside in Stone Cold's corner to even the odds, chokeslamming the stooges thru both announce tables just to put on the exclamation point. this was a good match between the two.

but like everyone else said, his match with HBK was by far his best.

My favorite was probably HBK/Mankind but that one's been said quite a few times.

Another one that I really enjoyed was Cactus Jack vs. Big Van Vader on WCW Saturday night. This was a very brutal match and Foley bled buckets, but it was just a regular match, Vader did a number on him in this match as Foley looked like he had 8 tumors on his face by the time it was over. Not only that I thought it had some decent psychology and was overall a very good match. Not as good as his HBK one but probably his best match that didn't involve any weapons (his HBK match had that table spot).

I have to agree with everyone the match with HBK for the WWF title at mind games. Was by far his best non hardcore match. His match with Rock were he won his first title was about the only other non hardcore match I remember him in.

As you can see by the numerous posts before mine, there are plenty of examples of Mick Foley's matches that were great. Without barbed-wire, without being thrown off of a cage, WITHOUT a gas dipped, flaming baseball bat wrapped in glass. LOL.

I am going outside of the box with this one... There was a match back in 97 that I watched over and over. It had such a big finish to it, that I just loved it!!

It is when he debuted Dude Love and came down to the ring in the costume and tagged with Stone Cold. They faced The Bulldog and Owen for The Tag Titles. Austin had been wrestling them for a minute and all of a sudden Dude Love's music hits.

When dude is in the ring, the ref has his back turned and Austin hits the Stunner on either Bulldog or Owen (I Forget Which One). Foley pins him and they win The Tag Titles. Austin gives Foley the belt and the crowd was going nuts the whole time. It was pretty awesome.

It was the first title Foley ever held in WWF/E. It isn't anything that showcases his "wrestling ability" away from hardcore... But, it is one of my favorite matches and a debut of one of Foley's characters, AND had nothing to do with his "hardcore style"!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back