Flair vs. Sting: Not Suitable for Televsion?

The match was the same match I've seen out of these two men for the last 20 years. Sting no sells the chops, pushes Flair off with his power, Flair to the eyes and a chop block. Figure 4... reversed... superplex.. which for his age was amazing. The knucks usually spells the dirty end and win for the heels, but the hero kicks out for a mark out! Deathlock for the win, staredown with Hogan...

Told a story, I think people are complaining really too much... fans should have got a kick out of it. Come on people, soon we'll never see Sting again.. enjoy his last ride while he's here.

The match itself wasnt to bad - atleast the match that aired on TV.

Was it a 5 star match? No.

Was it a train wreck...well no it wasnt. It was a perfectly adequate match which is furthering the Hogan v Sting storyline.

The train wreck will be Hogan and Sting, Flair can still go, he can still walk, he can still climb the ropes and take a bump. Hogan hobbles down the ramp.

The fact remains that Flair has no business wrestling anymore and by all accounts, Hogan is in worse physical condition than Flair is. The Sting/Hogan match shouldn't happen.

Agree Brian, but Bret Hart vs. Vince went ahead even though Bret could have a stroke if he takes a bump.. it was one of the worst excuses for a match I've seen but it was done so Hart could get his revenge...

Sting vs. Hogan will no doubt be very similar.. Gunner, Steiner run ins... will dominate the "match" ... somewhere in there like Vader realising what he is doing is wrong will "save" Sting from his own men... turn face and will save Sting... handshake... Sting raises the Hulkster's hand, Sting has defeated evil Hogan, saved good Hogan.. flex, cup of the ear.. Hogan doesn't take any bumps.. the end of the storyline... Bischoff comes out Hogan hits him with the super punch of doom...

Grandsword: I have no interest in what the WWE has done or did do regarding Bret Hart because this thread isn't about the WWE. It's about TNA, and Sting v. Hogan. The fact remains that this match is a trainwreck waiting to happen unless it's filled with the kind of nonsense such as the scenario you provided. It was a ridiculous idea from the beginning as Hogan should have retired years ago. Again, I have tremendous respect for what both men have done for the business, but I have little, to no respect for the decision-makers in TNA. They continue to be extremely short-sighted in their views and don't seem to care about the long-term impacts of their poor decisions. I'll provide examples.

1. Matt Hardy. Despite numerous reasons to be concerned, they signed him anyway. Needless to say, that has been proven to be a large mistake.

2. Jeff Hardy. Despite numerous reasons to be concerned, they signed him anyway. Needless to say, that has been proven to be a large mistake. He's not a 'draw' in the sense that he's providing a noticeable bump in ratings, ticket sales, or ppv buyrates. And despite numerous drug addiction issues, they haven't even demanded that he get help.

3. Kurt Angle. Despite numerous reasons to be concerned, they signed him anyway. Needless to say, that has been proven to be a large mistake. He had issues with addictions to painkillers while with the other guys and despite that, they signed him anyway. Since being in TNA, he's had multiple run-ins with police for a variety of issues. He's now their World Champion and is the face of their brand. For all that's worth.

These are but a few examples of their poor decision-making skills and how they are willing to set aside character in favor of a short-term gain like a one night bump in ratings as they announce these signings.

Until they change course they are always going to be what they are and where they are.

Grandsword: I have no interest in what the WWE has done or did do regarding Bret Hart because this thread isn't about the WWE. It's about TNA, and Sting v. Hogan.

Actually the thread is about a match that took place between Flair and Sting.

So talking about a different match that occured in the semi-recent past between two guys who were perhaps too old, that arguably shouldn't have been asked to go out a perform in Mcmahon/Hart is very relevant, and is no more off-topic than discussing a potential match between Hogan and Sting.

Get it???

Grandsword: I have no interest in what the WWE has done or did do regarding Bret Hart because this thread isn't about the WWE. It's about TNA, and Sting v. Hogan. The fact remains that this match is a trainwreck waiting to happen unless it's filled with the kind of nonsense such as the scenario you provided. It was a ridiculous idea from the beginning as Hogan should have retired years ago. Again, I have tremendous respect for what both men have done for the business, but I have little, to no respect for the decision-makers in TNA. They continue to be extremely short-sighted in their views and don't seem to care about the long-term impacts of their poor decisions. I'll provide examples.

1. Matt Hardy. Despite numerous reasons to be concerned, they signed him anyway. Needless to say, that has been proven to be a large mistake.

2. Jeff Hardy. Despite numerous reasons to be concerned, they signed him anyway. Needless to say, that has been proven to be a large mistake. He's not a 'draw' in the sense that he's providing a noticeable bump in ratings, ticket sales, or ppv buyrates. And despite numerous drug addiction issues, they haven't even demanded that he get help.

3. Kurt Angle. Despite numerous reasons to be concerned, they signed him anyway. Needless to say, that has been proven to be a large mistake. He had issues with addictions to painkillers while with the other guys and despite that, they signed him anyway. Since being in TNA, he's had multiple run-ins with police for a variety of issues. He's now their World Champion and is the face of their brand. For all that's worth.

These are but a few examples of their poor decision-making skills and how they are willing to set aside character in favor of a short-term gain like a one night bump in ratings as they announce these signings.

Until they change course they are always going to be what they are and where they are.

And the thread isn't about Jeff, Matt or Kurt - it was solely about reports on the Sting versus Flair match being a cluster, whether they were true and the possible ramifications for the BFG match between Hogan & Sting. Having seen the match, it was what it was - a simple 'Greatest Hits' between two guys who've faced each other, off and on, for over 20 years. As for BFG :shrug:, it's too early to call, all we definitely know is that Hogan will be across the ring from Sting - what else may be included, nobody knows! Hmmm, think I've addressed all that was mentioned in the thread opener so see y'all!

Actually the thread is about a match that took place between Flair and Sting.

So talking about a different match that occured in the semi-recent past between two guys who were perhaps too old, that arguably shouldn't have been asked to go out a perform in Mcmahon/Hart is very relevant, and is no more off-topic than discussing a potential match between Hogan and Sting.

Get it???

Actually I'm not sure you understand my point, which is a broader view of how TNA comes to the decisions that they do. This storyline with Hogan and Sting could have been written differently, but somewhere along the way, TNA felt compelled to write a situation where the 2 would face each other in the ring one more time. Add to this flawed writing the notion that Flair would somehow be involved to offer even more nostalgia to the fans, when they knew that Hogan is in no condition to wrestle and Flair isn't much better. Yet, here we are actually considering the idea that this match could be worth watching. It won't be no matter how they write it, which is going to be some half-baked run-in from someone or several someone's in order to keep Hogan upright to avoid potential serious injury. Or it will be some convoluted swerve, (which this group of folks is famous for)whereby Hogan won't ever step into the ring with Sting.

At any rate, this is just more evidence that they seem to like the idea of throwing spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks.

Well I didn't so much mind the Flair and Sting match. I mean flair doesn't wrestle every week so once in a while is ok if that's what he enjoys doing. I just don't like how TNA doesn't think ahead. They have been building Sting and Hogan for a few months now and they set up the match after Hogan basically came out of a total back replacement surgery. The should have known the man would barely be walking let alone able to wrestle again. But they built it up anyway and now they can't follow through it's gonna crash the storyline.

Me too.i always like when rick flair gets hit and has a late reaction fall to the ground.

It's gold!! :worship:

It looked like a Sting vs Flair match to me. Wasn't expecting Milenko vs Mysterio quality. Fun none the less and I enjoyed getting to see them work together again as a big WCW fan.

I don't know how this is still a topic. Sting is obviously on his last hurrah, and who better to close it out than Flair, and hopefully Hogan? His 2 biggest rivals ever? The match was entertaining from a nostalgia view. The problem is all the dirtball's on here expect every match to be like ROH or X-Divison match, no matter who is wrestling. This is why guys like Gunner, and Bischoff laugh, and rip on the so called "IWC" because they continue to look like complete jackasses. Hogan vs. Sting is not going to be pretty. It's not suppose to. It's just 2 legends finishing up a great career. I guess if Vince were to put this match at Mania, all the Wrestlezone Idiot's would be blowing their loads over how genius it would be.

I don't know how this is still a topic. Sting is obviously on his last hurrah, and who better to close it out than Flair, and hopefully Hogan? His 2 biggest rivals ever? The match was entertaining from a nostalgia view. The problem is all the dirtball's on here expect every match to be like ROH or X-Divison match, no matter who is wrestling. This is why guys like Gunner, and Bischoff laugh, and rip on the so called "IWC" because they continue to look like complete jackasses. Hogan vs. Sting is not going to be pretty. It's not suppose to. It's just 2 legends finishing up a great career. I guess if Vince were to put this match at Mania, all the Wrestlezone Idiot's would be blowing their loads over how genius it would be.

If vince put flair and sting in mania it would be the best.When they were in there prime on a bad day they were better than half the wwe / impact roster today.

Well as a longtime fan of WWE programming and also a fan of TNA wrestling let me share some of my thoughts on this with you.

1. I will state again for the record that I have tremendous respect for Hogan, Sting, and Flair and all they've given to their profession.

2. If Vince had Flair v. Sting for Wrestlemania, I would view it as being just as bad as his decision to allegedly bring closure to The Montreal Screwjob by jobbing to Bret Hart as he did, and continues to give Hart a platform even though he has no business being physically involved in the ring in any capacity. This is a bad idea that, unless they make major storyline changes to it, will be horrible to watch.

3. This last one is my favorite part. The IWC and alleged irrelevance. If the IWC is so irrelevant, why do wrestlers keep taking the time to respond to them? Why does someone like Eric Bischoff actually take the time during interviews to acknowledge not only their presence, but comments that have been made by them.

The bottom line with Gunner is this. He's not a main event player just yet. He's, at best, a mid-card guy with a good look, but sorely lacking in mic skills and charisma. While I certainly believe he is loaded with potential, the right 'look', and obviously the in-ring skills, I hardly think he's reached the level where he can treat the IWC as though he's an accomplished hand, when clearly, he isn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back