First Round: Seattle - Lance Storm vs. Roddy Piper

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Lance Storm

• Roddy Piper

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round matchup in the Seattle Subregion. The ring and arena are universal throughout the first round and the organization is not a factor. There is a 20 minute time limit. Vote using any criteria you like. Most votes in the poll at the end of the time period wins. In the case of a tie we will go off of the number of written votes. In the case of a second tie, both are eliminated.

seattle-key-arena.jpg

Lance Storm

storm.jpg

Vs.

Roddy Piper

wwf_costumes_11.jpg

Voting is open for 4 days.

Lance Storm vs Roddy Piper.. hmm, Lance was without a doubt great in the ring, I will give him that much, very underrated guy if you ask me, and seemed to be somewhat squashed during the Invasion and afterward stint with WWE, which I think is a shame and poor use of a great talent, but that's not what all this is about, cause the tournament would look very different if it was based on underused and underrated talents.

I think Roddy Piper has a good chance here, he was awesome in the ring, while he wasn't a Ric Flair of his time, he wasn't a Kurt Angle, what I'm saying is he wasn't a great technical guy, and sure he was able to put on fine matches, main eventing Wrestlemania 1, another underrated talent who should've definitely held a world championship.

Roddy was absolutely golden on the microphone too, by far one of the closest things we might get to Ric Flair like if you ask me, he wasn't superior to Ric Flair, but he was damn well close, I loved his promos, the promo with Jimmy Snuka in the Pit, his promo on top of Big Show in WCW (I still laugh about the "this guy stepped on his dogs tail, the dog died man!") this guy was absolutely brilliant, huge impact on the business if you ask me, one of the greatest ever to hold the microphone, and I think he'll go over Storm fairly easily in this one.

I like lance storm, he's a great technical master but I can't put him over The Hot Rod. Piper and Storm actually have similar careers. Two guys who never fully reached the top of themountain and were by careers end, left with a career full of mid card belts. From a championship perspective, Storm's actually the stronger but I can;'t ignore the fact that Piper stood toe to toe with some of the all time legends and held his own while Storm's biggest scalp is The Rock via count out. I've got to go with Piper. (Plus he's Scottish. Not really I know but at least he tried).

Hot Rod all day in this one piper may not have the technique that storm does but he could brawl to a great extent and hit the sleeper from anywhere so storm passes out from the sleeper in this match

I like Lance storm a lot, but I can't let him go over Hot Rod. Piper was just greatness in the mic, he was always fun to watch in the ring or outside the ring. Piper also had great feuds in the WWF/E and in WCW. This vote here goes to Piper.

Brand new to the forum although I have been reading for a few months now, and I have to say that I have really enjoyed reading most of these first round match-ups. As far as this bout goes, I think I will wait and save my vote until someone can really convince me to vote for one or the other (much like IC25 did in the Yoko/Austin thread). I really like Lance Storm and IMHO think he is very underated even if he was really stiff on the mic, but then again when he acknowledged it as part of his gimmick it was freaking hilarious. I would also rank him up there with Malenko, Benoit, Jericho, and Angle as a great technical wrestler. At the same time, I can't forget that the Hot Rod is a huge draw and has had some classics throughout the years.

Like I said before, I will reserve my vote until later.

Both are entertaining as shit, but the mos tentertaining storyline I have ever seen was Lance Storm's pursuit of all the WCW gold. From that angle alone, it trumps almost ever storyline in history, so I give him my vote for that.

I am a product of old school wrestling and grew up watching Roddy Piper duke it out with Hulk Hogan in the early 80's. Roddy was everything that embodied a true heel in pro-wrestling, and his name was synonymous with the Yang to Hulk Hogan's Yin in the WWF(E).

His in-ring work was severely criticized and underrated for years... but then he faced Bret Hart for the Intercontinental title and everyone's feet were simultaneously shoved into their mouths. A man who was considered as nothing more than a bar room brawler showed up as a pro-wrestler and put on a near five-star match with one of the greatest of all time. This opened many people's eyes and led them to begin discovering the older tapes of Roddy and Ric Flair from the Charlotte territories. Those two had excellent matches together and further solidified Roddy as being a great in-ring performer.

The best compliment I could ever give Piper is that I'll always consider him to be a Bobby Heenan with wrestling tights. The man could talk the talk. But unlike Bobby Heenan, Piper walked the walk. He gave his all in the ring and really showed the world how much he would improve as years went by. Now, he is a legend, and rightfully so.

Now, Lance Storm was fluid perfection inside of a wrestling ring. He was always a technical master and has incredible runs in WCW and ECW... rightfully so. But I can never keep him in my mind on the same level as Roddy Piper. No matter what Lance would throw at Piper, I can always see Piper kicking out of the pinfall attempt and countering with dirty tactics like biting, choking, scratching, and using hidden, foreign objects to gain victory when the referee's back was turned.

Hot Rod all the way.

Lance Storm is great, but if we're honest, he's not in the same league as Piper. Piper was a heel and a big deal in the 1980s, and was incredibly good at what he did. He was partly responsible for introducing wrestling to a more mainstream background, but I have to say that he should have stopped sooner than he did, because he became a bit of an embarrassment.

If I can be serious for a moment....Lance Storm is Canadian and for this match, that's a good enough reason for me.

... Oh wait...

I vote Lance Storm because he was comfortable with his Canadian heritage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back