Second Round: Seattle - Buddy Rogers vs. Tiger Mask I

Discussion in 'The Mexico City Region' started by klunderbunker, May 1, 2010.

?

Who Wins This Matchup?

1. Buddy Rogers

2. Tiger Mask I

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. klunderbunker

klunderbunker Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

This is a second round matchup in the Seattle Subregion. The ring and arena are universal throughout the first round and the organization is not a factor. There is a 20 minute time limit. Vote using any criteria you like. Most votes in the poll at the end of the time period wins. In the case of a tie we will go off of the number of written votes. In the case of a second tie, both are eliminated. Assume one week has passed since the first match.

[​IMG]

Buddy Rogers

[​IMG]

Vs.

Tiger Mask I

[​IMG]

Voting is open for 4 days.

2. It's...Baylariat!

It's...Baylariat! Team Finnley Baylor

Not one post huh? Well, I can make a decent case here. Buddy Rogers was the original Nature Boy. He was Ric Flair nearly 20 years before Flair was. His finesse, mind games, and ring skill flourished in a time where hard nosed hitting and shoot fighting were still prominent.

Tiger Mask 1 is a dynamic talent himself and would give Rogers fits, but in the end, The Nature Boy would end up winning this with a roll up and holding the tights. Underhanded? Yes, but as Rogers would say, "To a better man it couldn't have happened to."

3. jmt225

jmt225 Global Moderator

Easily Tiger Mask.

Tiger Mask is the innovator of high-flying in this sport, and the greatest high-flyer of all time. Plus, he has giving us some of the greatest matches this sport has ever seen against the likes of The Dynamite Kid and Gran Hamada.

Buddy Rogers brought silly entertainment to the business, and while you can harp that as a big deal, I still don't respect it anywhere near as much as what the original Tiger Mask gave to the business.

Moreover, kayfabe wise... Tiger Mask would fucking kill this guy. Like, literally kill him.

Easy choice here, people. Vote Tiger Mask.

4. Tastycles

Tastycles Turn Bayley heel

From what I've heard, this is a matchup between two guys that were difficult to get along with backstage. Buddy Rogers was a world champion, but he wasn't very popular outside the north east, so location is a relatively minor concession here. Every Tiger Mask match I've seen, I've been impressed with, and seeing that Rogers lost his first match against Antonino Rocca, the precursor to high flyers, I imagine he'd face true difficulty with someone more advanced in that area when they first faced off.

5. Cena's Little Helper

Cena's Little Helper Mid-Card Championship Winner

I believe I've said this already, but I'll say it again here: I chose Tiger Mask I for this tournament. Why, you ask? There are many things that go into making a great professional wrestler, so, I can't call Tiger Mask I the greatest professional wrestler ever. However, I can say confidently that Tiger Mask I/Satoru Sayama is easily the most athletically talented and gifted man to ever step into the squared circle.

This man was pure magic to watch in the ring, and his matches with Dynamite Kid are still unrivaled to this day in terms of beauty. People have a propensity to throw around the term "spot monkey" to describe those wrestlers (mainly light heavyweights) that they don't like and whose matches rely heavily on shocking or awe-inspiring moments. But, imagine a wrestler who could transition from spot to spot without any shoddy mechanics in the interval; I'd personally call this imagined wrestler amazing, and no other wrestler came closer to this imagined one than Tiger Mask I.

In closing, I'll leave you with this tribute vid to the Tiger Mask I/Dynamite Kid matches, and let Sayama speak to you himself:

[YOUTUBE]Z3Ks90kH6aY[/YOUTUBE]

dd23beatlesfan1 likes this.
  6. gd

gd Plump, Juicy User

I argued for Tiger Mask during the debator's league, so I at least have some minimal knowledge on him. He went from being bascially an ad for children's toys to a big time pro wrestler just like that. Pretty impressive. Plus just look at the mask, which happens to be of a tiger. Crazy, right?

I know that Buddy Rogers was somewhat of a cunt and he was the champ for awhile or something. I think he'd have trouble with a guy like Tiger Mask given the era he comes from. They wrestled in slow motion back then, and they wrestle in fast motion in Japan. Seems like the choice is obvious.

thrilla11 likes this.
  7. dd23beatlesfan1

dd23beatlesfan1 Getting Noticed By Management

This is what I wrote about Buddy Rogers in the thread for the Buddy Rogers/Ahmed Johnson matchup. A bit of what I wrote is geared towards arguing for Buddy Rogers over Ahmed Johnson, but still the most of it is my case for why people should consider Buddy Rogers in just about every matchup of the tournament, and what his legacy on wrestling is.

Now obviously this matchup is a whole different ballgame as Tiger Mask is far more difficult competition for Buddy Rogers than Ahmed Johnson. Tiger Mask is also one of the most important wrestlers in history, and I can understand someone voting for him.

Tiger Mask revolutionized the style of performance that a wrestler gives in the ring, paving the way for much of the cruiserweight/high-flying style that so many wrestlers use. And he put on some of the best matches ever. I won't deny that.

His impact is huge. And athletically of course he was better than Buddy Rogers and more exciting. But Buddy was no slouch in the athletic department either. For his time he was as exciting a worker as there was. He also wrestled into his 50s and 60's and had good matches even at that time. He was even supposed to wrestle a match against Buddy Landell in 1992 when he was in his early 70's. Unfortunately he suffered from health problems before the match and died months later. But the fact that Buddy could wrestle as old he was speaks to his conditioning and passion for the business.

Everyone knows about Tiger Mask's impact on the business. And after reading my above post, people should be familiar with Buddy Rogers' impact as well. If you're going to base your vote based on who you feel was more important to the business then you have to decide which is more important. Paving the way for the high-flying cruiserweight style of wrestling, or paving the way for having bad guys and showsmanship in wrestling. Those are the two biggest things that each guy gave to wrestling. Which is a bigger deal? That's up to everyone to decide for themselves. I'm going with Buddy though, because while Tiger Mask's impact on style of matches and wrestling style is important, it's not as big as what Buddy Rogers changed and helped to inspire.

If your argument is who had more success, I also think Buddy Rogers has this one in the bag as well. Tiger Mask was successful, but was he ever a World champion in the top promotion in wrestling? Nope. Now maybe that's not fair to say beings he was a Light-Heavyweight wrestler, and he certainly won more light-heavyweight titles, but are the light-heavyweight championships as prestigious as the NWA world championship and WWWF championship. IMO, no. Buddy Rogers won both the those titles and was the first to do such. Buddy's career also lasted longer than the original Tiger Mask's career. Didn't the original Tiger Mask retire after only a few years of wrestling? While he left a major impact, he probably doesn't have the amount of titles that Buddy does. I could be wrong on that of course and if I am feel free to educate me on such (I'm sure someone here will :)) And while Tiger Mask to the best of my knowledge was a big draw in Japan, Buddy was also a huge draw in America, one of the biggest draws of the 1950's easily. They could be even on that front, although Buddy Rogers is one of a handful of wrestlers to at one point be part of the match that drew the biggest crowd in wrestling history (which he held with his World title win over Pat O'Connor for 25 years).

Athletically speaking Tiger Mask is pretty much the right choice there, I'll acknowledge that.

I might seem like a weak debater here, because I'm making plenty of cases to vote for the guy I'm not voting for, but I'm just being honest. I can completely understand someone voting for Tiger Mask here. He's a legend and one of the most important wrestlers ever. It's just my view that Buddy Rogers is more important to the overall history of wrestling, and did more for wrestling in his time than Tiger Mask did. And that's why he gets my vote.

And I really honestly feel that if you're going for the guy who's more important to wrestling, than Buddy Rogers is the right vote. For everything else, I can see going with Tiger Mask.