Favourite Style of Pro Wrestling

scottyshowman82

Getting Noticed By Management
Pro wrestling is an art form. Although there are things about it that will always remain the same such as the ring, the wins, the losses and titles, there is so much that can be modifid, and played with and altered. Some organizations over the past offered more actual in ring wrestling like ROH, while some like focus more on the entertainment aspect like WWE is known for. Sometimes they find themselves in the middle somewhere or someone taking a chance and trying to do something a little different, like perhaps MTV did in the mid 2000's with Wrestling Society X.

I guess your favourite version can be directly connected to a favourite time in wrestling. My favourite times were WWF in the late 80's, with it's larger than life superstars, and great drama, although some of the in ring matches were simple and straight forward the storytelling was great. Individual character development and focus seemed very important at this time. I also very much loved the Attitude Era and the original ECW. It felt like you could watch those shows and they could do anything and go anywhere and there was no line that could not be crossed.

Although I really loved the times in wrestling I mentioned above the style of wrestling that I would most love to see come back is what WCW was in late 90's. WCW in 1996 to 2000 was where dream matches came true and wrestling styles of all kinds clashed. That guy that you loved watching in ECW would clash with the guy that you loved watching in WWF for years and it would be really cool. WCW had deep pockets and had a huge roster. It also had exchanges with wrestling organizations in Mexico and Japan. They say styles make matches and WCW benefited so much in match quality and freshness from it's talent having matches with a variety of superstars from all over the world. If I had to pick a style of pro wrestling I most wanted to see right now I would pick that one. Which style of pro wrestling is your favourite to watch?

Good technical, high flying, show-boating and a good ol' fashioned slobber knocker.
Prime example of this kind of style would be a Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels match.

In my opinion, high-flying cruiserweight styles are the best! With the aerial assaults and fast paced action, it's always innovative. You always see a powerbomb or suplex, but the high flyers take these moves and add a little spin to it. Literally! Then you have guys like Kidman who has the shooting star press. Who thinks of doing a backflip while leaping forward 10 feet in the air? Then you have breath-taking moves like hurricanrana and headscissors takedowns. With the cruiserweight division, things are always new and fresh. You CANNOT go wrong with it!

I've always preferred the submission style of pro wrestling, the style of wrestling we saw from Bret, Owen, Benoit, Malenko, Jericho, Regal, etc... It always seemed more real to me & it's that style of wrestling that got me into mma way back when it was called nhb. The technique, ability to tell a great story exchanging holds is something that we don't see very often these days.

Character driven wrestling. I appreciate say, classic AJPW from 1992. But to me, something like Warrior vs Sgt Slaughter from Royal Rumble in instantly watchable.

Love the luchadors. It may not be realistic, but it's fun and exciting to watch. From an artistic point of view, it's really beautiful.

I like the fast paced high flying style but I also like a good technical bout too.
I'm not really fond of brawlers and even though I did like ECW I'm nor longer a fan of extreme hardcore matches.

I don't really have one. A show needs variety or I get tired of it. That's what is so beautiful about it. I think you appreciate one style when it contrasts with another. You go from say Sin Cara/Mysterio vs Rhode Scholars, then to Wade Barrett vs Sheamus, then Dolph Ziggler vs Jack Swagger, then Taker vs HHH, then Punk vs Cena. You get totally different styles and it makes you like the next even more.

I think any good wrestling card will have a complete mix of different styles to keep things fresh. I personally don't know if I have a favorite, because I can find something to enjoy in just about any kind. Started watching WCW in the 90's because of their cruiserweights; Eddie Guerrero, Rey Mysterio, Syxx, Chris Jericho, Chris Benoit, etc. But I also like the slower paced main events where two icons - say, Rock and Austin - start slow and build in intensity throughout the match. Always been a big fan of Bret Hart and the slow, technical machines. But I also love Kurt Angle, and the faster paced technical, suplex-heavy amateur style grapplers.

Really anything is fine with me. A good story can make up for a not so exciting in-ring performance; the opposite is also true. I saw a Heavyweight title match in NJPW in 2012. I can't remember the names or when it was, but it was one of the slowest paced matches I've ever seen; almost all grapples the entire contest. Couldn't understand a single thing that was going on from a storyline standpoint, because it was all in Japanese. That being said, it was still one of the matches of last year.

I don't have one, but like TWJC and HGR I'm a fan of shows with a mix of styles. This is why Nitro was so enjoyable to watch back in the day, they would start their cards off with amazing fast paced cruiserweight action, and move on to nice technical matches, then you would get some decent tag team matches, and the show would end with the heavyweights. And from time to time, they would spice things up by booking different styles against each other, like the cruiserweights against the technical wrestlers etc. etc.

The style i enjoy the most is kinda Hardy boys 1999 style. Their matches with Edge & Christian were awesome, especially the TLC stuff. Could watch that every week!

I know this is a little off topic but I highly recommend that people check out this DVD if you haven't already. It's a few years old but I been watching this 3 disk set non stop since I got it. Great matches featuring the likes of Ultimo Dragon, Sabu, Chris Jericho, Ricky Steamboat, The Great Muta and others.
wrestlings-highest-flyers-dvd-cover.jpg

If you like the highflying, fast paces techincal style be sure to pick it up.

This will probably sound pompous, but I don't have a favorite style of wrestling. My favorite wrestling, is good wrestling. Anything that tells a story. Everyone talks about psychology in wrestling, and the art of story telling, and I always thought I knew what that meant. It wasn't until I started training to become a wrestler that I truly began to recognize the art form of wrestling. Anything that gets me lost in the moment, on the edge of my seat, or running around the room, is my favorite kind of wrestling. Whether that be an insane TLC match, or a mat classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back