Eddie Fatu (Umaga) Passes Away

X

RIP Sgt. Michael Paranzino / RIP CM
Eddie Fatu was not only a very talented wrestler, but he was also apparently a very friendly guy. This comes as a pretty big shock considering he's been working with Hogan on the Hulkamania tour only very recently.

Considering the state with which the report describes him being found in, I think there's a good chance this could be drug related. Sounds like he may have overdosed, but again, that's just from looking at the vague details given in the report, and not really factually based on anything. Wouldn't be surprising though.

This is truly a shame.

R.I.P. Eddie Fatu.

EDIT: Yeah, I merged my earlier post into this thread. Now that it's truly confirmed, today is a sad day in wrestling. Fatu was a very talented individual and it's a damn shame we had to see another wrestler taken down from drugs.

Eddie Fatu, also known as Umaga, has sadly died. If you simply wish to express your condolences, you can do so in the following thread:

http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=81697

If you wish to discuss what you enjoyed about Mr. Fatu, share thoughts on his career and generally give thoughts and opinions while supporting them, you may do so here.

What, where, why, when, how, people! Let's see some substantial posts. Don't use this one as a template.

man this is just suprising that he died, i mean he looked pretty healthy on the Hulk Hogan tour and i only saw him on t.v. wrestling with 3 minute warning and Umaga and he just always surised me for the top rope moves he used to do with his size all i know is that he will be sadly missed and my prayers go out to the Fatu family.

EDDIE FATU, YOU WERE TAKEN FROM THIS WORLD TOO SOON AND YOU WILL SADLY BE MISSED
RIP EDDIE FATU (UMAGA)

Umaga became a very popular wrestler in his time in the WWE. Despite being a large athlete, he could move around the ring like a small man. He got his time to shine as part of wrestlemania 23, however his career was marred by drug problems. I only wish that he would have went out to get help for his addictions, so that he might be alive today.

Rest In Peace Eddie Fatu. Thanks for helping in the creation of Santino Marella and the Milan Miracle.

I have been a fan of wrestling for the upper side of 25 years or so and still to this day it deeply saddens me when i hear of wrestlers dying so young. I understand there usually are underlying circumstances but for whatever the reason it always really upsets me.

I just wished to say that although i was never a fan of the character Umaga or Jamal (3 Min. Warning) i always greatly respected the athleticism and stamina or such a great big man. He is yet just another very talented individual from an incredible family who has produced such greats in the business. It's sad his star wasn't allowed to shine brighter, however in a business that now-a-days is wrestling around a bunch of talking and skits... when you heard the drums banging you new that Umaga was gonna open a can of whoop-ass for lack of a better term. No talking, No skits, just in ring action that looked and probably felt as brusing as could be. Its was nice to see someone who could still get it done without opening his mouth. Truely a sad day for any wrestling fan.

All my love and condolences to the family, friends, and fans of this superstar, this man. May He Rest In Peace.

Eddie Fatu 36 years young March 28, 1973-December 4, 2009

Sad day. I'll never forget the times he entertained me in his matches with Jeff Hardy, John Cena, CM Punk, Bobby Lashley, and countless other stars. To say I'm heartbroken would be a total understatement. I'm just in a loss for words.

RIP Eddie "Umaga" Fatu - Thank you for your contributions to WWE/Pro Wrestling and bringing us hours of entertainment.

I almost got a heart attack myself after hearing the breaking news of Mr. Fatu's death... :"( I don't even know what to say... JUST SO SHOCKED One of my favorite wrestlers has died! :'( I don't know what to say but this is life. Life is pain and life is happy. RIP Eddie "Umaga" Fatu!!!!! MISS YOU!

Its always very sad when something like this happens especially since he is a wrestler there will be no doubt endless speculation for the next few weeks until official information is released. I think he will be most remembered for the match he and john cena had a couple of years back at royal rumble.

What a shame. He was arguably one of wrestling's brightest stars of the new generation. Here was a big, powerful man, who also had the ability to soar through the air, like a cruiserweight. It is a really sad day, indeed. May prayers go out to his family and friends.

R.I.P Eddie "Umaga" Fatu

My favorite moment of his was when he destroyed santino marella and retained the intercontinental title on july 9 2007. Mainly because I was there and snuck down to the bottom row as he was jumping off the top rope. He was a truly gifted athlete and will be missed.

It's sad that another wrestler passes on before the age of 40. The media will jump on this and talk about how bad the WWE was. It's a good thing they released him due to his reluctance to go into drug rehab because it would be awful publicity if he was still with them.

I remember when he 1st got released they said he was a reckless sloppy wrestler but when he made his return he was very skilled for a man his size. Its unfortunate he chose not to address his issues as he could have made a great living for his family and now they are grieving too soon.

Today, the wrestling world is in shock and mourning over the sudden death of Eddie Fatu, aka "Umaga".

While he is remembered for squashing opponents and giving them the Samoan Spike, he will also be remembered as part of 3 Minute Warning formed by then WWE Raw GM, Eric Bischoff, who sikked them on wrestlers and announcers alike if they did not please him. Even Lilian Garcia was flattened by them and had to take several weeks off to "sell" the squash. That set up her return by defeating The Fink in a gown and tuxedo match.

As we know, he was most recently on the Hulkamania tour, however, we will remember him as Umaga.

He joins the ranks of other wrestlers who died too soon: Owen Hart, Eddie, Andre and others.

To quote the :undertaker2:, but, said with a heavy heart...Rest in Peace.

Wow, it's almost impossible to believe.......... Goodbye Eddie. You will be missed. You left behind a Legacy in such a short time. Today on the 4th of December we will not mourn, but we will Celebrate the life of you Eddie. Your style of wrestling always left me amazed. It does sadden me that you are no longer with us, but It makes me happy that I got to see you preform. We will all miss you Eddie......... Goodbye.

Eddie Fatu: March 28, 1973 - December 4, 2009

"Bulldozing his way up to Heaven"

This is a very sad day... Umaga was an awsome heel and it was always hard not to hate him. Hearing that he died a hard death is just... headlifting. I will definatly miss Umaga/ Eddie Fatu for his incredible work in and outside of the ring. Looking on WZ reading that article about the club brought a tear to my eye. Not many people become upset over an entertainer's death, but some people, like me, do.

R.I.P. Eddie Umaga Fatu

We will all miss you!

Its pretty devastating how many die in the wrestling industry, especially under the age of 40. Eddie Fatu was a great talent, being part of a successful wrestling family as well. From 3 Minute Warning to Umaga, he will always be remembered and will never be forgotten.

R.I.P Eddie Fatu
Thanks for the Memories

I can't believe it, what a shock. Umaga was one of the best big men of this decade IMO. Based on how they found him, it sounds like drugs were involved and if so, it's a shame to lose yet another wrestler because of them. I was a big fan of his work and hoped to see him in TNA or back to WWE one day.

R.I.P. Eddie Fatu. You will be missed.

I can't believe this. This is just a sad, sad loss. He was truly a great wrestler for what he was, and from what I gather, a good human being. He was a great performer, and it's incredibly sad that he died prematurely. Regardless of the cause, he will be missed.

Eddie Fatu was in a family that was one of the greatest wrestling family's in Pro wresting history Fatu will forever be remembered for his Umaga and Jamal name in WWE Rest In Peace Eddie your time was short may god be with you and your family and friends tonight.

Man wow this came as a huge shock, i really didn't expect this we all knew he may have had some drug problems but this came out of nowhere, i never saw him in 3 Minute Warning. But during his return, his best times were against John Cena, he helped created the Santino character and that Milan Miracle, his feud against Jeff Hardy, being in the Battle Of The Bilionaires match at Wrestlemania 23.

He has a talented guy in the ring and played the savage heel well and made us hate him, and for a big guy he could move fast and that was another quality.

R.I.P Eddie Fatu (Umaga), its a sad day again for wrestling.

I didn't really care the Umaga character that much, but wow how shocking to hear that he has passed away. He was a very talented athlete. It's hard to find men the size of Eddie that can move like he could, it's an elite club. While I didn't enjoy the character, I did enjoy most of his matches. He was a talented man who was taken from us and the wrestling world far too soon. Another one has left us, but left us with memories. Without a doubt Eddie Fatu would have been a great great wrestler.

I was very shocked to hear of Umaga's passing,another sad day in the Wrestling World. He did some great stuff in the WWE with John Cena,HHH,Jeff Hardy,Bobby Lashley,Kane,and helped Santino get his Career started with the Milan Miracle. His 3MW Stuff was memorable as well with He & Rosey always attacking someone out of nowhere. RIP Eddie "Umaga" Fatu,The Samoan Bulldozer Uuummagga.

"Unchecked potential" is the bottom line on Umaga in my view. A guy who should have gone down as one of the best super-heavies of our generation, squandered, wasted, and gone too soon. He'll be missed dearly, especially by me.

His Royal Rumble match with John Cena is one of my favorite bouts of the decade (look it up if you don't believe me, I've said this before), he had legit chemistry with Jeff Hardy and CM Punk, he took what was essentially a bad 80s gimmick and ran with it, and his underrated charisma and timing shined brightly. He was a unique attraction that was mishandled and at 36, another great talent has been taken before he could give this business his best work. Supposedly, we were set for a feud between Umaga and Taker this year until Umaga was cut loose by the WWE. It was a match I couldn't wait to see, and I would have loved to have seen what Umaga would have been doing down the road in the WWE if he had survived, cleaned up, and returned. Consummate upper-midcarder of the world, giving the John Morrison-type of the month a great foil and a fine match, or occasional main eventer and World Champion who was given his due? We'll never know now, as Wrestling's Grim Reaper has struck again. I'm really getting cynical about this business and how much it takes.

Much respect to the Big Man, and my well wishes are with his family and friends at this time.

Some of you may notice my new signature. I was an Umaga fan in 2006 when the gimmick started. I hate to be one of those guys, but I was. He beat Flair in short order at Backlash, a poster I liked started going on about how it's disrespectful to Flair and how this is just another Big Man who won't hack it long term. I had to retort as the guy showed potential in a match with HBK earlier in the week and Flair was old and deserved such booking. My support grew from there. This is an old banner, something I had saved from the fall of that year. Rockin' it out of love. RIP.

What are you serious. I dont know what to say, Umaga was amazing. he had brilliant skills, high flying and strength. definitely a sad day for Pro-wrestling aswell. and also the fact that he died on tour is horrible.
my condolences are with the Fatu family, and friends of Eddie

I got to see Umaga just once in action in my trips to various arenas throughout the state of PA but I did have the pleasure of also exchanging pleasantries with him once. After a Raw show in State College in 2006 (the Raw the night after Cena lost to RVD at One Night Stand), my buddy and I walked through the streets of University Park and decided to head into Hooters for a quick beer before we headed back home. Umaga, Snitsky, and Shelton Benjamin were in there eating as well. My buddy and I were obviously somewhat starstruck since we had just seen them in action less than 2-3 hours prior and obviously wrestling fans. We didn't want to go over and bother them so we looked their way long enough for them to notice us. We gave them a wave and said "great show tonight guys."

Shelton and Snitsky looked our ways and smiled and gave us a bit of a wave. Eddie (without makeup, which was somewhat of a shock to us since it took us a bit to realize that's Umaga sans makeup) was the only one to say anything to us. He smiled and gave us a wave like the others but said "hey, thank you guys for coming out." We didn't want to be those guys that went over and bugged them while they're grabbing a late night meal. Not that we looked down on Shelton or Snitsky at all because they didn't say anything, we just found it nice that Eddie did actually take the breath to open his mouth and acknowledge us a little more than the others. Reading the other stories about him, it's no surprise that other people have had great stories and great things to share about Umaga. His match with Cena at the Rumble in 07 was one of (if not the best) LMS match I've ever seen. I always believed he was very underrated as a wrestler and this is a sad day for us fans and most of all, his friends and family. RIP Umanga. (I always loved when Regal said his name like that.)

Ken Kennedy- the kiss of death?

First off, it is a great shock to me that umaga has passed on, for he was one of my favorite wrestlers to watch week to week and hoped to see him succeed.

I'm not a huge believer in conspiracies, but does anybody find it weird that both Eddie Fatu (Umaga) and Eddie Guerrero both died of some sort of heartattack and their last matches respectively were against Ken Kennedy? He seems like a cursed wrestler who can never stay healthy and perhaps have it on his conscience that he was the last person to wrestle both of these guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back