ECW One Night Stand 2006 vs WWE Money In The Bank 2011

Which one was better?

• WWE Title going to ECW.

• CM Punk leaving and taking the title with him.

Results are only viewable after voting.
The title says it all.
On both of these Pay-Per-Views the WWE found itself in the same position: The danger of loosing the most prestigous title in history, the WWE Championship.
In both cases the WWE lost their World Championship.
Firstly in 2006, the WWE Championship became part of ECW and then in 2011 it was believed to be gone forever from the company.
In both cases the defending champion was John Cena and the challengers were two guys that were loved by the IWC and the WWE fans: Rob Van Dam and CM Punk.
And in both cases the title changed hands in controversial ways in front of two very "hateful" (sorry don't know if that word actually exists) crowds.

My question is simple: which one do you think was the best angle? The ECW Invasion and the title going to the Land of Extreme or CM Punk's revolution?

I gave it to ECW for two reasons
1) Love me some RVD :)
2) They went basically no where with that Punk angle. For whatever reason they can not keep Punk in a decent storyline to save his life recently. It seems that he is just out there to say memorable stuff on the mic that grabs your attention. Like a few weeks ago before TLC when he mentioned that Del Rrio, Miz, and Johnny Ace were going to drive him to drink and just last Monday when he told Johnny that he would beat him like a bitch

Oh and hostile and hot would have been a good way to describe those crowds.

ECW was better. The CM Punk match was way better but the feeling of the ECW match was amazing. It also ment more and did not crash right after the ppv like the CM Punk storyline did.

ECW hands down. It didn't matter to the ECW crowd if Cena was champ or not it could have been HHH and you would have seen a sign that said If HHH Wins We Riot. It was about ideals. The crowd was ECW vs WWE.

Same with MITB. Didn't matter who was champ going in as long as Punk was the challenger the champ was getting booed out of the building. The difference is MITB was not the crowd vs WWE it was about Punks coronation as a main event player for a long run in his home town and a changing of the guard.

One Night Stand crowd did come off as super smarky and set the tone for future anti Cena smarky venues. The city of New York says your welcome Boston Philly and Chicago.

I’m sure most people would say CM Punk’s WWE Title win at Money In The Bank, simply because it’s more recent than RVD’s WWE Title win at One Night Stand and because Punk left the WWE “permanently”, whereas, we all knew RVD was just taking the WWE Title to Tuesday nights…early Tuesday nights…temporarily. However…

I liked the Rob Van Dam win more than the CM Punk win, personally. I appreciated what the WWE was doing for ECW…at first. I thought RVD announcing exactly when he was going to cash in was “Extremely” well done. I loved it so much that I bought the PPV and then I bought the DVD.

I would have changed things a little differently though as far as how the matches went down. I would have loved to have seen Sabu actually defeat Rey Mysterio for the World Title and Kurt Angle defeat Cena for the WWE Title, and then have a 3rd match to unify the WWE and World Titles to form the ECW Title with RVD cashing in his MITB to make it a Triple Threat Extreme Rules match. Then of course, we could have had a Raw Tournament for the vacated WWE Title and a Smackdown Tournament for the vacated World Title that can both culminated at that year’s SummerSlam.

I'm going with MITB 2011 and here is why? I watched them both... what made Punks match better wasn't just the wrestling. (what?) I said wrestling. But it was the fact that for that night the WWE had major league importance. It had everyone wondering what's to become of the WWE if Punk leaves with the title. It had you wondering what becomes of John Cena if Punk leaves with the title. It had you wondering what effect does it have on Vince If punk leaves with the title.

Notice in all of that the Main subject in that above paragraph was the Title...It was 3 men who all had something to gain and something to lose....Now as for One Night Stand yeah it had the same feeling....But... When RVD won his title It didn't really effect anyone because it only made cena and edge the focus...RVD was a transitional champion and he lost the title on raw like a few weeks later....and Never regained it....plus that match did not give you the feeliing of "what happens if?"

I'm going with MITB 2011 and here is why? I watched them both... what made Punks match better wasn't just the wrestling. (what?) I said wrestling. But it was the fact that for that night the WWE had major league importance. It had everyone wondering what's to become of the WWE if Punk leaves with the title. It had you wondering what becomes of John Cena if Punk leaves with the title. It had you wondering what effect does it have on Vince If punk leaves with the title.

Notice in all of that the Main subject in that above paragraph was the Title...It was 3 men who all had something to gain and something to lose....Now as for One Night Stand yeah it had the same feeling....But... When RVD won his title It didn't really effect anyone because it only made cena and edge the focus...RVD was a transitional champion and he lost the title on raw like a few weeks later....and Never regained it....plus that match did not give you the feeliing of "what happens if?"

If you are talking about the feeling that people had during the event then i agree with you 100% i would even change my answer to the Money in the Bank PPV BUT what you said about what happened after the ppv is what makes the ECW better in my eyes. Yes RVD was a transitional champion and yes the focas was more on cena vs edge but a whole show came out of the storyline(even though it would suck later on). The stuff you talked about in the CM Punk match did not even last 2 weeks. Trust me this storyline would have been one of the best ever if they only could have kept Cena and Punk off tv for somtime.

I gave it to ECW for 2 reasons;

A) The crowd was just, amazing, never seen an event like it before. and we had know idea how that angle would turn out. (I wish it could of kept going, RVD had to drop the belts because of a failed drug test)

B) We pretty much all knew CM Punk really was going to come back had he won

I based my resons on the night of the PPV, not the story to follow afterwords

I think I'm going to have to go with the Punk MiTB match. The RVD match was still one of my all time favorites and it had possibly the best crowd of all time. The way Cena couldn't even toss his shirt was perfect. It was so fun to watch and the way RVD set it up by saying he's cashing in his MITB at ONS was perfect (and to this day still the only one to do it that way). Punk's match though just had that uncertainty to it. I think we were all a little more confident that Cena would lose to RVD at ONS because RVD was still in the WWE. But as for punk, there was a chance he would just walk away (not with the title) but in general, and so we had no idea if it was a great angle with more to come or one last chance to milk some viewers out of Punk and set something up for much further down the line should he return. The chicago crowd that night was one of the best I've seen for a wwe event (i'm gonna count ONS as an ECW crowd bc it really was despite being put on by wwe). On a side note... now that i look at both matches... you notice how the winner both times had to have some outside help, Edge for RVD and Johnny Ace and Vince distracting Cena for Punk... geez

I was like 11 when I watched ECW one nite stand so can't really remember it, apart from the fuck you Cena chants etc etc... But I would go with MITB 2011 because the crowd was bigger and therefore made for a greater atmosphere, the crowd was on fire all night long. Only complaint I have is that, at these two points, WWE were at completely different times, 2006 was before the WWE Universe era and story lines weren't moved along so fast as they are now. The rvd/John Cena storyline was awesome because it wasn't abolished straight away,they carried it out, something. They should a done with cmpunk/Cena storyline but they dropped the ball instead.

I can't officially vote since I am too new here only my second post, but I freaked for both. ( I will not be using the term Mark except for this one time, I feel it to be a "bad word" now and never really liked it much cause I just considered it to be a Fan) But RVD is my vote only cause I was a huge ECW fan growing up in Philly and the atmosphere seemed more real cause it was 100 percent anti cena, where MitB had at least some cena fans. So I am biased a bit but I do love me some CM Punk and RVD. 55% to 45% in my eyes goes to ECW and RVD

Although the MITB PPV itself was better than ONS 06, I'll vote for ECW. The atmosphere was much better throughout the night, and I never thought WWE would have the balls to give RVD the belt(though I guess it would've been ballsy to have Cena win in front of THAT crowd lol). It was one of those wrestling moments you can't forget as a fan.

A very hard choice here for me as it really depends on 3 factors: the match, the crowd, and the storyline.

For the match comparison I will give it to Punk/Cena. Don't get me wrong I am not just following what Dave Metzler says as I could honestly give 2 shits on what he has to say regardless if he did rate this 5 stars. The wrestling was just better here, more storytelling, more drama (which is hard to beat the One night stand match on that), and more suspense in general. The endings were both great, but Edge seemed kind of well like Cole says bi-weekly "sticking your nose where it doesn't belong" as he had no connection with the story prior to the match. Johnny ace and Vince had key roles in this story preceding this encounter. This round goes to the Money in the Bank 2011 side, however a part of what makes a match great is the emotional investment and reactions of the crowd.

Obviously this one goes to one night stand 2006. Yes the Chicago crowd was great, but we have seen just great crowds before, what we are rarely treated to is livid, impassioned, and zealous crowd. I have to admit that watching it as a 10-year old on the couch at my friends house, I had no idea what these guys were saying at first. Last year I sat down with a more mature perspective and watched the entrances, I was blown-away. Cena has said it himself so much that it got annoying, whether the crowd loves you or hates you the fact that you get a reaction indicates you are good. From throwing his shirt backed to the toilet paper it seems pretty obvious that Cena with his character and action made this crowd loathe him ever before he even set foot in the city. These guys hold nothing at all back from yelling "Same old shit!" at his finishing sequence, to the infamous "if Cena wins we riot" sign. They even thanked a man they had just given the middle finger an hour earlier , Edge for spearing Cena. This is one of those crowds that are only seen a few times in a lifetime, ECW wins on this one.

Finally the story leading up these matches. Both revolved around the fact that the WWE title was to be abducted if Cena could not pull out the victory. However take into account that WWE announced the ECW brand as a part of WWE just a week before the PPV. This means that the title was staying with the company at all cost even if RVD and his ECW original buddies won. This was further exploited by RVD's short reign afterwards and his suspension leaving everything ECW was meant to be to Big Show. Oh and we all know how that turned. Punk on the other hand kept the feud going and maintained the entertainment and interest factor through Summerslam and a bit beyond it. Sure both of them had a rather underwhelming conclusion to them but at least the summer Punk was more consistent in entertainment. I give this round to MITB.

MITB wins and this was really hard decision but with a 3:2 advantage you can't argue with it. Both were great in their own right in certain areas but MITB and the summer of Punk are victorious in my opinion.

I'm kind of perplexed to see people responding, "ECW ... Because the Punk angle led nowhere."

My God how time changes people's memories. Where do you people recall the RVD win over Cena leading? To a generic TV show that bastardized the ECW initials? To a six-week title reign? To a third WWE brand that featured the C-list wrestlers? Hell, even Heyman was gone from the company within six months of this title win.

Sure, the aftermath of Punk/Cena was underwhelming, but at least that one featured a friggin re-match ... something that RVD/Cena didn't.

Cena/Punk at MITB beats out Cena/RVD for two reasons:

1) The match was much better. Even those defending the ONS match have mentioned this fact. I honestly don't believe that Cena/RVD would even be memorable if it wasn't in Philly.

And while Chicago definitely helped the MITB match - the crowd was probably a notch below Philly's - I think most crowds throughout the country would have been equally hot for the MITB match. Besides being a great match, Punk/Cena featured one of the best pre-match builds in recent WWE memory.

2) Unpredictability. When RVD faced Cena, I had no doubt that RVD was going to win. The WWE had just announced the creation of the ECW brand, and it was apparent that the WWE wanted to give credibility to the ECW workers.

When Punk faced Cena, a lot of folks figured that Punk would win if he re-signed with the company, but that he would lose if he chose not to re-sign. I remember reading reports on this website during the pay-per view, and the reports were still unclear. All they said was that only Punk. Cena. and those involved with the match ending knew if he had re-signed or not.

I dont think it is cause the Punk angle has gone nowhere, it has gone somewhere he is still the champ right, stuff is changing. and ONS w as in NYC not Philly, but still a pro ECW Crowd oh wait NYC is the home of WWE MSG. People in Chicago wouldnt riot is Cena won. And really you Knew RVD was gonna win back then when they already bastardized ECW before revitalizing it by incorporating WWE angles on the original ONS

Hands down CM Punk leaving with the WWE Championship!

Nobody knew the direction WWE was going to do. Did Punk resign with WWE or not? All the IWC was confused on what the outcome was going to be and if you say you did, your a bad liar. The ECW crowd was hostile and so was Chicago. Don't forget, Chicago is one of the major cities where wrestling is a passion. I was live at the Allstate Arena, and let me tell you, the crowd was HOT and would have riot if Punk lost. There were plenty of drunk fellows in the crowd and passionate fans.

Easily Punk and Cena at MITB, and it's not even close.

There was unequivically no shock factor going into the ECW PPV. None. We knew Van Dam would be leaving Hammerstein with the title. There was no conceivable way for them to keep the title on Cena while starting up the ECW brand. The Cena mark in myself was hoping he'ld win anyway, but there was no surprise factor. The matches for the title following also had zero drama in them. Cena and RVD's rematch was expectedly broken up by Edge(who "left" the arena earlier in the evening), and with the match being made a triple threat the following week, it was apparent Edge would win. An electric atmosphere and a good match, but no drama or excitement following. Doesn't mean it wasn't a great moment for RVD fans, especially since it was his first WWE title. But that's not nearly enough.

Cena and Punk had as close to a perfect, unpredictable match as your going to see. I avoided the spoilers and the like surrounding Punk's contract status, because other then those, there was no way of knowing who would win. Add the hype for the movie, and the match couldn't possibly have lived up to expectations, right? Well, they didn't, because they exceeded them. The drama and unpredictability along with the nearfalls, counters, reversals, and the flawless psychology and storytelling couldn't get better if they had the same match again 50 times. It was just one of those nights where the crowd, in my opinion, was better then the one at ONS in 2006. They were chanting Punk's name during other matches. It's hard for me as a long-time wrestling fan to get as emotionally invested in a match as I used to, but I can't remember a match that got me more.

While the RVD/Cena match was fine and a feel good moment for ECW and it's fans, it didn't have the perfect storm of excitement, unpredictability and two men just busting their asses to have a perfect match on a near-perfect night. It doesn't get much better then that.

no comparison, ECW 2006 Meant plenty, MITB 2011 meant nothing. Punk never left, the whole angle was destroyed once Nash went filming movies then not being cleared to wrestle at Night of Champions. There really is no similarity.
RVD winning the title was what ALL fans wanted, Cnea was boring and forced down throats for way too long in 2006, 6 years on and its only gotten worse. The Rock has buried Cena so much that their match at Mania is already compromised. Cena is going over and turning heel post Mania. Vince has again ballsed up the unballsuppable.

Your question was which was the better angle. So in that sense i would pick MITB. BUT... the better night was ECW One Night Stand. The atmosphere was amazing. The hatred of the crowd was about equal maybe a little edge to ONS but it was friggin ECW in Philadelphia. The crowd was hot. I love the throwing of cans and just about anything at Cena. And of course the chears that the crowd had that night. The better storyline was Cena/ Punk but the better night was Cena/RVD at Philly. So..... The question you asked was which was the better angle so the answer is WWE Money In The Bank 2011.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back